Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In Balkans we have?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Balkans we have?
    Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:33
Originally posted by Anton

The lack of sources that Illirians/Thracians disapear could be used as an argument that they didn't disappear. And this argument is true untill somebody proves the opposite. You have sources that they were there 2000 years ago, and no arguments that they disappear or moved. Thus, they still live there. Even if some other nations came to the same place.

It is a historical fact that the thracian cultural identity didn't survive  after the slavic flood.You can read if you want many books stating that.When the empire split up into two halves,there were but a few people on the mountains of Rodopi speaking  the thracian language.The resurrection of the thracian language was eventually strangled by the new invaders.
When the slavic invasion happened the thracian  population already depleted by the raids in the past wasn't bigger than 800,000 in Thrace and Moesia(upper and lower).From all these,the vast majority had already adopted the Greek identity.So when the Bulgars came into the region the thracians were Byzantines and opponents as you can easily understand of the Bulgars and the slavs.the thracians were totally related to the other Greeks by the time when the slavs came.Don't forget that even during the 20th century there were many Greeks in Bulgaria.These people had not fallen from the sky..
If you think that the Bulgarians didn't burn and kill in the region of thrace then you are ignorant of medieval history.Do you know how many thracians were slaughtered by the slavs and the Bulgars?How many towns were looted?There are sources stating that the northern Balkans had been ravaged by the raids of the Avar-slavs and later of the Bulgar-slavs.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:37

nikodemos before Slavic invation the Thracian region suffred and from the Germanic tribes(4th cent A.D.)

nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:39
According to Herodotus, Thracians and Illirians were most numbered tribes. It number was more than two millions as I remember.

Herodotus was never good at numbersLOL
Actually some days ago I was reading the new penguin Atlas of the ancient world,and after counting the total thracian population they were less than 2.000.000 in the 5th century.Their region didn't have a high population density.I will look at it again and I will tell you the exact numbers for the illyrians.

The Goths moved to Italy,but some of their vassals may have stayed in Albania.Previously you treated the lack of sources as an argument,why not NOW?
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by akritas

nikodemos before Slavic invation the Thracian region suffred and from the Germanic tribes(4th cent A.D.)

You are right akritas.If there was a region that suffered the most from the barbaric constant raids and later the invasions was Thrace,one of the most troubled frontiers of the empire.
There were even two Gothic civil wars in Thrace that depleted the rural population
The thacians were the akrites/limitanei of the empire.So  it is certain that the thracians were fighting the ancestors of AntonLOL

Anton,I see a conflict of identities here!!!

Edited by nikodemos - 28-Aug-2006 at 10:44
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:45
Originally posted by nikodemos

[

It is a historical fact that the thracian cultural identity didn't survive  after the slavic flood.You can read if you want many books stating that.When the empire split up into two halves,there were but a few people on the mountains of Rodopi speaking  the thracian language.The resurrection of the thracian language was eventually strangled by the new invaders.
When the slavic invasion happened the thracian  population already depleted by the raids in the past wasn't bigger than 800,000 in Thrace and Moesia(upper and lower).From all these,the vast majority had already adopted the Greek identity.So when the Bulgars came into the region the thracians were Byzantines and opponents as you can easily understand of the Bulgars and the slavs.the thracians were totally related to the other Greeks by the time when the slavs came.Don't forget that even during the 20th century there were many Greeks in Bulgaria.These people had not fallen from the sky..
If you think that the Bulgarians didn't burn and kill in the region of thrace then you are ignorant of medieval history.Do you know how many thracians were slaughtered by the slavs and the Bulgars?How many towns were looted?There are sources stating that the northern Balkans had been ravaged by the raids of the Avar-slavs and later of the Bulgar-slavs.

I heard this fairy tale many times but never arguments proving that. Especially sources.
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:47
Ok every human is free to believe what he/she wants.
You believe that the Earth is flat,ok, stay in your ignorance
So long!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:47

You are right akritas.If there was a region that suffered the most from the barbaric constant raids and later the invasions was Thrace,one of the most troubled frontiers of the empire.
There were even two Gothic civil wars in Thrace that depleted the rural population
The thacians were the akrites/limitanei of the empire.So  it is certain that the thracians were fighting the ancestors of AntonLOL

Anton,I see a conflict of identities here!!!

No conflict of identities. Thracians were major population untill invasion of slavs.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:48

So long!

Should I consider this post as an impossibility to support theses you claim?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 10:50

So long!

That were Greek Aristotelis who believed that. Italian Bruno and Slav (Polish) Kopernic proved the opposite Smile
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 11:16

I heard this fairy tale many times but never arguments proving that. Especially sources.
Fredegar's chronicle,Porphirogenitus(30 chapter),John Ephessus,Menander e.t.c
There are plenty sourcesWink

Edited by akritas - 28-Aug-2006 at 11:17
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 11:32

Zlatarski, Ostogorski,Stein all of these are the best historician regarding the medieval Valkan.You rejected them , but the majority of academaic wolds  accept theirs works.

Yes, I reject them since I read the carefully (well at least Zlatarski) and claim that their logic is (how to say it politely?) strange. And actually youcan find other instorians that claims other.

It is being done. Especially by molecular genetic methods, since linguistic is unsure (4 inscritprions is to small amount of words to be used to prove something).
As I said is not only the genetics.Are more than a  molocular test

Molecular Genetics is bit more precise to my knowledge then linguistic and history. So, I personally beleive it more.

Thanks for that, now please answer the major question -- show something, that proves that Thracians and Illirians moved

The Thracian region until 11th cent was a region that was not never in calm.Hun,Goth,Slavs,Tartars

What Tartars? You read to much sites of Makedontsi Smile

and many other tribes is known from the historical written sourses that destoyed the Thracian region.
And finally you don't have either sources that stayed.Or you beleived that the Roman-Byzantine citizens at that times sit and were not mooved when the "barbarians" tribes attacked them?

I have some many of them. But everything I post you will explain like Thracian means not ethnical but geographical term. One example is Vitalian the Thracian, whos father was a commander of foederati, an organization that that has distinct from Roman/Byzantium ethical identity.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 11:38

Fredegar's chronicle,Porphirogenitus(30 chapter),John Ephessus,Menander e.t.c
There are plenty sourcesWink

Oh, I get your point, you would like to prove that Bulgarians and Slavs burned and killed. No doubt about that. Like everybody did at that time. And greeks as well, surely you willnot argue. I asked to prove this one

When the slavic invasion happened the thracian  population already depleted by the raids in the past wasn't bigger than 800,000 in Thrace and Moesia(upper and lower).From all these,the vast majority had already adopted the Greek identity.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 11:43

I read any argyment and source, even and the Makedonchi!!LOL

After the conquests of the Mongol Jenghiz Khan, the Mongol and Turkic elements merged, and the invaders became known in Europe as Tatars.

So I beleive that the Bulgar Turkic  tribe was Tartar origin.But I know that you have already rejected this worldwide theorySmile

Edited by akritas - 28-Aug-2006 at 11:44
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 11:59

I read any argyment and source, even and the Makedonchi!!LOL

After the conquests of the Mongol Jenghiz Khan, the Mongol and Turkic elements merged, and the invaders became known in Europe as Tatars.

So I beleive that the Bulgar Turkic  tribe was Tartar origin.But I know that you have already rejected this worldwide theorySmile

Not the whole. And not rejected but doubted some authors payed by foreign academies of sciences  Smile

But, you didn't understand even "worldwidely accepted" history.  Smile
Turkic Bulgar (if they were turkic, which is already challenged worldwide) separated at 7th century and one part came to Balkans and another came to Volga. The reason for that was that Great Bulgaria led by kanes Kubrat was defeated by Khazars. Their identity as Tatars came later when Mongolian tribes defeated Volga Bulgaria. Actually even Zlatarski and his pupils whom you like to cite нdentify turkic Bulgars with Chuvash people mostly. And provide linguistic analysis of "list of Bulgarian kanes" and  Chuvash language. Tongue  And how could tribes known from 4th century have origines the tribes that were merged in 13th century?

But this is offtop.

Edited by Anton - 28-Aug-2006 at 12:01
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 12:03

No conflict of identities. Thracians were major population untill invasion of slavs.
Thracian region is not popular reagion at that time.The reasons are known. 
Invations from many tribes at the North Balkans.
I think we make circles.
You beleived that the Thacians were still alived when

-according the historical sources(a lot)  were Byzantine(Roman or Greek influence) citizens
-the region seized many times, speciall the territories outside the cities
-they adopted  the Greek culture or hellenized since Alexanders era
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 12:20

-according the historical sources(a lot)  were Byzantine(Roman or Greek influence) citizens
-the region seized many times, speciall the territories outside the cities
-they adopted  the Greek culture or hellenized since Alexanders era

I will try to find more sources to have more arguments. Up to now I will only remember you the tribe Bessi which is believed to be of Thracian Origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessi  A lot of thing about them far after Alexander.

Edited by Anton - 28-Aug-2006 at 12:21
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 12:27
Anton , please don't bring me wikipedia sources.SleepyI bring many non wiki sources.So I want something best that wikipediaApprove
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 12:32
I agree with you Akritas. But in this particular case they cite sources.Antoinius Placentius and Strabo. Would you like mo to check those sources  directly? Story about Nicetas is not cited but I could find them as well...
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 12:37
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 13:33
Thanks, akritas! I used this source:
It seems that these are actually citations from others from the lost part of the book.

So, here are the fragments about Bessi:

. Along the Hebrus live the Corpili, and, still farther up the river, the Brenae, and then, farthermost of all, the Bessi, for the river is navigable thus far. All these tribes are given to brigandage, but most of all the Bessi, who, he577 says, are neighbours to the Odrysae and the Sapaei. Bizye578 was the royal residence of the Astae. The term "Odrysae" is applied by some to all the peoples living above the seaboard from the Hebrus and Cypsela as far as Odessus579 the peoples over whom p371Amadocus, Cersobleptes, Berisades, Seuthes and Cotys reigned as kings.

But interesting thing to mention is that Thracians are still Thracians in the time of Strabo. Here are some examples:

and there are some of the Thracians who live apart from woman-kind; these are called "Ctistae,"67 and because of the honour in which they are held, have been dedicated to the gods and live with freedom from every fear;

All the Thracians, and most of all we Getae (for I too boast that I am of this stock) are not very continent;"

10 It is but fair, too, to ask Apollodorus to account for the Mysians that are mentioned in the verses of Homer, whether he thinks that these too are inventions142 (when the poet says, "and the Mysians, hand-to‑hand fighters and the proud Hippemolgi"), or takes the poet to mean the Mysians in Asia. Now if he takes the poet to mean those in Asia, he will misinterpret him, as I have said before,143 but if he calls them an invention, meaning that there were no Mysians in Thrace, he will contradict the facts; for at any rate, even in our own times, Aelius Catus144 transplanted from the country on the far side of the Ister into Thrace145 fifty thousand persons from among the Getae, a tribe with the same tongue as the Thracians.146 And they live there in Thrace now and are called "Moesi" whether it be that their people of earlier times were so called and that in Asia the name was changed to "Mysi,"147 or (what is more apposite to history and the declaration of the poet) that in earlier times their people in Thrace were called "Mysi." Enough, however, on this subject. I shall now go back to the next topic in the general description.

How do you thing what is this tongue "as the Thracians"? Hellenic?

Edited by Anton - 28-Aug-2006 at 13:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>