Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neo-Ottomanism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neo-Ottomanism
    Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 15:54
Malizai
It may be interesting to note as i read somewhere that the pushing back of Australian troops at Gallipoli would not have been possible without Arab reinforcements. I think the Arab Turk divide is not accurately portrayed.

I agree.

Actually apart from the unfortunate events in WW1 Turks and Arabs have no historical problems.

Yiannis
Bad example. I have spend some time in Dubai and it looks like they have copied everything (apart for religion, nominally) from the west.

They have clubs, prostitutes, alcohol, theme parks etc, everything copied from the West.

And how is that?

Clubs, prostitutes, alcogol means its Western? I have to disagree, these vices will always exist especially where there is wealth and a high standard of living unfortunately such things are more common.

Managers are all Europeans or Americans (a few Iranians and Arabs) and the workforce is either from Pakistan or from India, usually Pakistani workers and Indian clerical staff.

One cannot find an Arab in the workforce!

The area didn't have a very high population, most the native Arab's there are pretty well off, they own the venue;s in which other's work.

HiddenFace
Ziya Gokalp defined the Turkish modernization: Full westernization, and said "I'm a Turk, I'm a Muslim and I'm of Western Civilization." (Turkum, Muslumanim ve Bati medeniyetindenim - Turkculugun Esaslari / 6. Bolum Batiya Dogru)

No he didn't, he clearly stated you can modernize without becomming European, keeping your own culture and religion.

He created a balance, between modernization, religion and native culture and rejected the Western ideal of nationalism based upon "race" and purity of blood which was all the rage in that era.

Westernization is the only solution for industrialization. the Russian westernization and the Japannese westernization also prove that. And Turkey, as a Westernized eastern country, will help Kurds, Azeris and Iranians in their full westernization and industrializiation process.

Your mixing Westernization with modernization.

Westernization is cultural.

Modernization affects the countries infacstructure, technology, living standards.

You can pretend to be Western in culture but if your not modernized it really means nothing.

When Europe modernized it was helped by the East which was more developed then them in that era. This wasn't called "Easternization", it was modernization.

China today is modernizing, it's not Westernizing, it industrialising doesn't mean that it's Westernizing. China is still China, culturally its still Chinease.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 18:40

Different nations live in difference areas of the Globe! Their language is different, opinion is different , values are different and cultures are different! It's becouse their backround history.  Turks (Turkey Turks) Historically belong to  EURO-ASIA! It makes them different. They are synthes fo two big culture:  Europian and Eastern! It's reality and doesn't need your details!!! By the way I am Azerbaijani- TURK...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 18:43
[Make your way yourself!]

Different nations live in difference areas of the Globe! Their language is different, opinion is different , values are different and cultures are different! It's becouse their backround history.  Turks (Turkey Turks) Historically belong to  EURO-ASIA! It makes them different. They are synthes fo two big culture:  Europian and Eastern! It's reality and doesn't need your details!!! By the way I am Azerbaijani- TURK...

[/QUOTE]
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 03:59
Originally posted by Magistr

They all spoke Ottoman turkish (wich was a mix of Oghuz turkic dialect persian & arab)

Language is not a probleme Look at the romans.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 08:50
Originally posted by xi_tujue

They all spoke Ottoman turkish (wich was a mix of Oghuz turkic dialect persian & arab)

Your wrong, Ottoman Turkish did contain much more arabic and persian words then the anatolian Turkish.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 09:17
Originally posted by DayI

Originally posted by xi_tujue

They all spoke Ottoman turkish (wich was a mix of Oghuz turkic dialect, persian & arab)

Your wrong, Ottoman Turkish did contain much more arabic and persian words then the anatolian Turkish.

Wow, I did know that it contained a huge amount of arabic & but more than  Turkish Shocked.

So I know the written lanuage was like this but for instance the ottoman officers what did they speak

EDIT: I'm not wrong I never said the percentages of the languages Big%20smile

Edited by xi_tujue - 25-Jan-2007 at 14:05
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 09:36
If I remember correct, ottoman langauge has 50% persian, 30% arabic, 20% Turkish words. After Ataturk(and 80 year.) we have turkish words more than 50%
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 09:45
According to "Phillip Mansel" the Ottoman elite's Turkish was 40% Turkish words prior to the reformations, 30% Arabic, 25% Persian and the rest other. During the reformations, Turkish rose to 60%. AtaTurk actually spoke Ottoman Turkish, proper Ottoman Turkish, his further reformations made Turkish words 70-80%. It wasn't a big deal as most the Turkish population's Turkish was more similar to this. It was power to the people Big%20smile

Edited by Bulldog - 25-Jan-2007 at 09:46
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 13:51
My nationalist friends get terribly shocked when I show them what Ziya Gokalp wrote about Europe and Westernization in his masterpiece Principles of Turkism. All of them don't even know who Ziya Gokalp exactly was. Just like you.

Read this:

Hey that's too long. Let's shorten it for you

Doğu Medeniyetini Batı Medeniyeti ile uzlaştırmağa alışmak, ortaağı son ağlarda yaşatmak demekti. Yenierilikle Nizamiye askerliği nasıl uyuşamazsa, hekimbaşılıkla bilimsel doktorluk nasıl bir araya gelemezse, eski hukuk ile yeni hukuk, eski bilim ile yeni bilim, eski ahlak ile yeni ahlak da yle uyuşamaz. Yazık ki, yalnız askerlikle tıptaki yenierilik kaldırılabildi. Diğer mesleklerdeki yenierilikler, ortaağ hortlakları kılığında, hala yaşamaktadırlar.
Birka ay nce, Trkiye'yi Milletler rgtne sokmak iin İstanbul'da bir rgt kuruldu. Oysa ki, Avrupa Medeniyeti'ne kesin bir biimde girmedike, Milletler rgtne girmemizden ne yarar sağlanabilecekti. Kapitlasyonlarla politik baskılara esir edilmek istenilen bir millet, Avrupa Medeniyeti'nin dışında sayılan bir millet demektir. Japonlar Avrupalı bir millet sayıldıkları halde biz hala, Asyalı bir millet sayılmaktayız. Bunun nedeni de Avrupa Medeniyeti'ne tam bir biimde girmeyişimizden başka ne olabilir? Japonlar dinlerini ve milletlerinin korumak şartıyla Batı Medeniyeti'ne girdiler, bu sayede, her konuda Avrupalılara yetiştiler.

My lessons will be going on Bulldog. Wait for me.

I can't resist here is another one:

zetle yukarıdaki aıklamalara gre, toplum inancımızı birinci forml şu olmalıdır: Trk milletindenim. İslam mmetindenim. Batı medeniyetindenim

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 13:56
well, so who is following gokalp? He is not only one who want to westernize Turkey. Even Ataturk wanted it.

It looks like people resisted it somehow. Still we are at the middle of east and west.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 14:11
Here's one of the most important quote from Ziya Gokalp and I totally agree with him. Thanks god Turkey had such a good intellectual.

nk her medeniyet başka bir sisteme girer. Adeta, her medeniyetin başa bir mantığı, başka bir estetiği, başak bir hayat grş vardır. Bu yzdendir ki, medeniyetler birbirine alışamıyorlar. Yine bundan dolayıdır ki, bir medeniyeti btn sistemiyle kabul etmeyenler, onun bazı blmlerini alamıyorlar. Alsalar bile kendilerine mal edemiyorlar. Medeniyeti de, din gibi dışından değil, iinden olmak gerekir. Medeniyet de tıpkı din gibidir. Ona da inanmak ve yrekten bağlanmak gerekir.

That's the point. Ziya Gokalp was right (And the date was 1920!!). Today's arabic countries prove that. They are also western-centric but they aren't in Western world. Turkey is both politically and culturally in Western hemisphere.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 16:01
But that is just one extract from his many works. He dedicated whole sections to the importance of keeping your native culture, language and civillisation while also modernising.

This cannot be called "Weternization", he wasn't calling for Turks to look down upon what they are, forget what they are and become Western. He clearly emphasised the importance of being what you are and also he saw religion as important. Islam was not seen as a problem for Gokalp infact it was a benefit especially for "Ahlak" of a nation.

Zia Gokalp, who has been considered as the most influential spiritual founder of Turkish nationalism, affirmed that Islam had been equipped with an adequate framework to accommodate and adapt to morphological changes in time and space. He says that the injunctions of the Quran (nass or text) stay eternal and unchangeable while 'urf' or the collective ideas and ijma --the consensus of the scholars -- allow enough room for the dogma to adapt itself to changing necessities of life. According to Gokalp, the Islamic law has a two-fold source: the traditional Shariah and the Social Shariah. The Social Shariah is continually changing in accordance with social evolution. The stagnation of the world of Islam is due to the failure of the Muslims to relate the 'nass' to the 'urf' by means of ijtihad. Gokalp has no doubt that Islam is the only religion that exhorts change.

He found Quranic sanction for the secular authorities to assume legislative functions in Islam in the verse: 'Obey God and the Prophet, and those in authority among you.' (IV:59) Those 'in authority' are surely to exercise their authority in the secular-mundane sphere. For this differentiation, he demanded the transfer of the judiciary functions of the Sheikh al Islam to the legislature and urged that the office of Sheikh al Islam should be more of a scholar, devoid of political authority. Another of his demands was the abolition of the Ministry of Awkaf and a ban on the various Dervish orders who had misused the pious endowments for self-perpetuation and the propagation of their exaggerated belief in fatalism. Gokalp also advocated the modernization of Muslim family life and urged the complete abandonment of purdah and the unqualified recognition of equality of the sexes.

Ziya Gokalp was among the earliest public figures in Turkey to champion a purely secular state which was later established by Mustafa Kemal. "In the first place, in a modern state, the right to legislate and to administer directly belongs to the people. No office, no tradition and no other right can restrict and limit this right. In the second place, all members of the modern nation, regardless of their relgious affiliation, are regarded as equal to each other in every respect. In short, all provisions existing in our laws that are contrary to liberty, equality and justice and all traces of theocracy and clericalism should be completely eliminated

"yalnız bir milletin din, ahlk, hukk, akl, estetik, lisn, iktisd ve fenn hayatlarının henkli bir btndr"

Gokalp

The_Hidden_Face
That's the point. Ziya Gokalp was right (And the date was 1920!!). Today's arabic countries prove that. They are also western-centric but they aren't in Western world. Turkey is both politically and culturally in Western hemisphere.

I have to disagree. The Arab states were initially run in a far more Westernized form than Turkey was. The Western powers which were involved in running these state's tried to make the intellects pro-Western.  What happened? some of the Elite became Westernized, they bought this to society but for what good? it was just a Show. The countries were not being industrialized or technologically advancing or modernising.

Turkey is not pollitically or culturally in the Western hemisphere, some in Turkey would like to "trick" themselves into believing this but "outside" Turkey we know this isn't so. What is "culturally" Western about Turkey? You think employing blonde hostesses in the airport make's it a Western culture. If one travells around Turkey you soon realise that Turkey culturally "definately" isn't Western. Don't take this as an insult or something bad, its just the way it is.

Look what happened when they tried to make an "Opera" in parts of Turkey, this popular proverb among the people was created, they put the name of where they're from and say "(area name) olalı byle zulm grmedi'  LOL 
People would rather keep their culture, they have music events in Turkish communities, this is a common Turkic concept, like Halk-Sira-Mesrep etc Geceleri. When you go to Turkey you always hear people singing Turku's and most people know a couple.

All this prooves that it's not "Westernization" which is cultural that brings benefit. It's "Modernization", now as for the past century the West has been the most modernized you could argue that it overlaps to some degree with Western concepts. However, the two also differ drastically, technologically advancing and modernizing can help the country economically, strategically, help make her more powerfull, a better millitary, higher living standards. However, to achieve this you don't need to change who you are.

One can live in the most remote village, wear traditional clothes, sing Turku, go to Cuma Namazi, have a strong extended family structure, dance the dances, live the culture and practice the traditions. And at the same time one can have the most advanced Satellite dish, solar powered electricity and heated water system, be highly educated, make sure the children are educated, have all the latest technological gadgets and unterstand the new concepts.

This is my opinion is being "Modern", what do you think?

What are your views regarding "Dokuz Isik" have you read it aswell?

Maybe we should open a new section, "Westernization vs Modernization two different concepts or are they the same?" 

To get a better understanding I have either read or began reading about the Hassan al Banna movement started in Egypt, Gandhi, Mehmet Akif Ersoy, Huntington,  Said Nursi, Fethullah Gulen, AtaTurk, AlpArslan Turkes etc etc also looking at China, Malaysia, Indonesia which are not Westernizing but are definately modernizing.

Edited by Bulldog - 25-Jan-2007 at 20:05
Albert Pine

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 02:34

Guys,  please. He was  only a nationalist, not a prophet.

Also when our first priority was iraq(not EU), how can we become politically in Western hemisphere. We are still middle of east and west.

Culture, I dont want to talk about him. Turkey have not only izmir, but diyarbakır, erzurum, trabzon, urfa, gaziantep.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 03:58
Originally posted by Mortaza

Also when our first priority was iraq(not EU), how can we become politically in Western hemisphere. We are still middle of east and west.

Culture, I dont want to talk about him. Turkey have not only izmir, but diyarbakır, erzurum, trabzon, urfa, gaziantep.

Clap verry well put my friend and lets not forget ardahan kars & hatay.

but mabey it's our ancient old habit to concentrate further to the west. hmmm....(I think central anatolia has the most western piece of steppe(grass land) ) this just a metaphore for people forget the west lets go back home to the east.

I was born and raised in europe it ain't all that great people. Lets say Turkey will never fit in as turks(there is nothing more to say)

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 05:44
I know its exactly what I was saying, Turkey is definately not culturally Europe, absolutely no part of it is. If somebody has lived and seen London, Berlin, Stuggart (Bavaria region especially), Itally, France, Spain then it's clear "culturally" Turkey is definately not European.

Saying this, Southern Itally and most of Spain culturally is not really European, neither are the Southern Balkans.

Then again what is culturally European? there is Brittish, French, German culture but there not the same and nobody would accept them as the same either.

Mortaza

Ofcourse but we can debate different views. Westernization vs Modernization is turning into quite a big issue, we need to fully understand the problems to put ourself in a better position.
Albert Pine

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 06:11
Originally posted by Bulldog

Saying this, Southern Itally and most of Spain culturally is not really European, neither are the Southern Balkans.

Then again what is culturally European? there is Brittish, French, German culture but there not the same and nobody would accept them as the same either.

I am glad i am not the only one who feels that the southern most balkan is culturally distinct from teutonic europe.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 07:57
Definately, also if you look at their cuisine, dress, culture, dances, architecture, traditions it has more in common with the East then Europe.

Some Orientalists have said that the Orient begins East of Sarajevo.
Albert Pine

shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 16:39
Turkey is not east because you yourself cut the connection  80 years ago.
You guys used to be the heart of islamic culture, now that culture is so strange for you. How many of you can read the newspapers belonging to Kurtulus Savas time? I was reading an old turkish newspaper to the my Turkish friends because they were not able to read it, intrestingly I found that you guys used to speak a language more eastern than what you speak now. Big change eh. Anyhow personally I believ you did the right thing I wish in Iran we had done the same.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 16:51
Thanks for your point of view.

Well Iran did do the same thing but met a backlash ie the Islamic Revolution.

Turkey in my opinion didn't really cut a connection, well cutting a connection when dealing with such matters is practically impossible as were not dealing with a mathmatical equation but society and culture. The Ottoman's had began a process.Today there is a revival in Turkey, alot of people are simply turned off by this idea of Europeanism. There is a big push to promote their own culture, traditions and civillisation and rightly so.
Albert Pine

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 17:12
Sorry for late replying. Guys. I am having a technical problem with Internet connection.

First off all. What Ataturk did is Westernization. Fully. What Ziya Gokalp was talking about in Turkculugun Esaslari is also Westernization. Exactly. However westernization isn't a bad thing that you could be thinking of. On the contrary Ataturk did it to protect the Turkish culture and tradition. And It's so called modernization that makes you look a bad european imitation. Just look at the arabic countries or Tanzimatcilar period in Turkish history. Arabs are doing what Turkey was doing in 1800's. "Modernized things" that come from western civilization that is produced by industrilization and urban culture in an eastern civilization that is produced by feudalism and monarchyism. The result: Inferiority complex. That's why the role models of the industrilized and modernized arabic people are western people.

But Turkey... Turkey redefined herself completely in Western civilization. Therefore there IS an industrilized and urbanized Turkish culture and tradition. That's still eastern but based on Western civilization.

Let's see an example.

One of the most important rules for industrilization is: Women must work and produce for society. Therefore "Women rights" is extremely important for western civilization. However in the middle eastern civilization there's no conception of "Women workers". Because the civilization is the result of agricultural and feudal life style. Therefore the only role model for arabic women workers is the westerner ones.

However when you tell a Turkish woman worker how terrible Turkish culture is about women and their rights she says "the terrible things about Turkish women in past are not because of the turkish culture. It's related to arabic. In past Turkish women were warriors like their men which means that women and men are equal in central asian Turkic culture." This is because of the Turkish westernization. Turkish history -like every single turkish thing- is carefully fixed to fit industrilization and westernization.   

There're many other examples.  

As for Turkish political and cultural europeanness. Politically and Culturally Turkey is a member of almost all of the western political and cultural orgazations (Say UEFA for instance) and nearly none of the middle eastern or asian orgazation. Even though she is not tradionally a european country. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>