Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Largest marine creature ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Largest marine creature ever
    Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 07:55
I heard somewhere that the blue whale is the largest living creature our planet can create-not including superorganisms which are just a collection of smaller individuals- as its weight and its blood pressure etc is supported in part by the water, making it impossible for a land creature to get close to its size. And it cant get bigger because of the inward collaspe of blood vessels or something like that.
 And that dinosaurs, while pretty big by todays standards never got any bigger than a double decker bus and have just been exaggerated the hell out of by television.

Clarification?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:30
Originally posted by rider

We can't really get a comparision if we don't have a picture of a human standing by the animal... so... can we get one?

And the largest marine creature ever is the USS Enterprise...

Funny, but even then it's inaccurate: there are ships (oil tankers) which are 5 times bigger than  the Enterprise...
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by Dolphin

I heard somewhere that the blue whale is the largest living creature our planet can create-not including super organisms which are just a collection of smaller individuals- as its weight and its blood pressure etc is supported in part by the water, making it impossible for a land creature to get close to its size. And it cant get bigger because of the inward collaspe of blood vessels or something like that.
 And that dinosaurs, while pretty big by todays standards never got any bigger than a double decker bus and have just been exaggerated the hell out of by television.

Clarification?

Pretty accurate there Dolphin, but I do think some of those claims are a bit drastically exaggerated. It is true that nothing the Blue Whales size could really be supported on earth, however I would imagine you could get bigger creatures in the ocean than the Balaenoptera musculus. If you mean the blood vessels would collapse because gravitational down thrust, then I don't see this as plausible because of the whale's blubber which provides buoyancy. The only reason I could imagine the blood vessels to collapse would be immense pressure or a harpoon gun. All round though you have the right idea Dolphin, no animal as big as the blue whale could support itself on land (unless an invertebrate with an exoskeleton, but then there are other reasons why that wouldn't work, as far as we know).Thumbs%20Up

- Knights -
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 14:53
Actually, the BBC show used, lets say, some gigantic artistic lincense regarding the size of the Liopleurodon - They just came up with the size almost out of the blue. They even half admit it on the walking with dinosaurs page (Don't know if it's still there.)
 Even the 20 m estimate can be, and have been, questoned - it is quite an old article you're posting there.

The largest known and measured "meat eating" sea creatures is the Sperm Whale, no question about it - if we must go by what's actually been found. They may not be as big as they used to be, before the nubmers got almost depleted, but Whales up to 21 m have been caught, and Sperm Whales are massive.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 20:35
I know it mightn't be the largest marine creature, but it is possibly the longest, and still very big nevertheless! Ladies and Gentlemen, the Lion's Mane Jellyfish:

The longest was 36.5m long (mainly tentacles), caught near Massachusetts.

Pretty big! Cool
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 16:45
I think this is the longest, the ribbon worm:
Up to about 50 meters, but very little mass, the whole animal could fit in a cup!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 19:59
Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by Dolphin

I heard somewhere that the blue whale is the largest living creature our planet can create-not including super organisms which are just a collection of smaller individuals- as its weight and its blood pressure etc is supported in part by the water, making it impossible for a land creature to get close to its size. And it cant get bigger because of the inward collaspe of blood vessels or something like that.

Clarification?

Pretty accurate there Dolphin, but I do think some of those claims are a bit drastically exaggerated. It is true that nothing the Blue Whales size could really be supported on earth, however I would imagine you could get bigger creatures in the ocean than the Balaenoptera musculus. If you mean the blood vessels would collapse because gravitational down thrust, then I don't see this as plausible because of the whale's blubber which provides buoyancy. The only reason I could imagine the blood vessels to collapse would be immense pressure or a harpoon gun. All round though you have the right idea Dolphin, no animal as big as the blue whale could support itself on land (unless an invertebrate with an exoskeleton, but then there are other reasons why that wouldn't work, as far as we know).Thumbs%20Up

- Knights -

It's possible there were dinosaurs that were as large or larger than Blue Whales. Because of incomplete fossils it's hard to determine how large the specimens really were.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 20:40
I guess there is the chance of discovering a sauropod larger than the blue whale. However, with that sheer mass comes fatal ramifications in the bone structure, muscles and circulatory system. Also, for something that huge to stand up, its legs would need to be a lot larger than stated on the website.
Nevertheless, we should never dismiss the idea, and it would certainly be a pleasant surprise to come across something of gargantuan proportions...

- Knights -
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 21:59

I could be that the higher oxygen levels permitted much larger land animals than can survive now. Less blood needed to be circulated to keep the cells oxygenated.

I think oxygen levels peeked at about 36% around 300 miliion years ago and have declined since then.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 21:33
That is a strong possibility, but I am more concerned about they weight and structural arrangement of an animals able to grow larger than a blue whale, and live on land. I don't think most bone would be able to withstand such pressure, especially during locomotion.
Air has very little buoyancy, while water is rather buoyant, allowing for the monumental mass of the Blue Whale, as it supports the huge build of it. Being less downward thrust on the blue whale in water, less stress is placed upon its bones and organs.
Here's an example, when a large whale such as a Sperm, Humpback, Blue or even Killer Whale become beached, there are two serious problems that need to be attended to:
Firstly, and most obviously, dessication/dehydration. The whale is susceptible to drying out if water is not administered regularly. This is the case for smaller cetaceans such as pilot whales, porpoises and dolphins.
Secondly however, air having next to no buoyancy, a great deal of force due to gravity is placed upon the whale. This can be a serious ramification for anything in excess of 5-10,000kg. With such force being put upon the large mass of the whale, internal organs begin to suffer. Many can rupture, and blood vessels can burst - which is very serious indeed.
Keep in mind though, a terrestrial animal does have leg bones to help support it to an extent.

So basically, my main concern with any terrestrial animal weighing 200,000kg + is the force placed upon their huge mass, and the detrimental consequences on organs, bones and circulation.

- Knights -
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 00:08

A lot of the weight would be in the support structures made of bone and muscles. The real question is if the animal could get enough food and oxygen to the immense amount of tissue. With the much higher oxygen levels that answers one need, I guess the ultimate size would be determined by how efficiently the animal could feed.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 00:29
Yes that's the thing, while the oceans harvest billions and billions of krill/phytoplankton/zooplankton, just floating, and there for the taking by a behemoth like the blue whale, the atmosphere does not contain such nutrients and organisms, to allow huge animals to feed. I mean, of course there is the grass, but didn't sauropods tend to be browsers?
Still, I will not rule out the possibility of such a gargantuan organism, living on land.
Digestive and respiratory (cellular and breathing) efficiency is definitely a major factor needed to be taken into thought. While the food might be there (grass, or even browse...), whether the organism can digest efficiently. Ruminants counter the problem of thick cellulose and lack of nutrients in vegetation with their four stomachs, the caecum and 'chewing the cud'. There are several other advantages to chewing the cud, but won't delve into them...
So if oxygen levels were sufficient, necessary physical and physiological adaptations (even behavioural) were adhered to, and there is a plentiful food supply, I see it as plausible.
The only major obstacle to me still, is the structural/bone ramifications.

- Knights -
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 22:34
Originally posted by rider

We can't really get a comparision if we don't have a picture of a human standing by the animal... so... can we get one?

And the largest marine creature ever is the USS Enterprise...

We should be consdering things that can go underwater. Otherwise, artifical cities should be the biggest. I don't know if we have any submarines that are as big as blue whales...

Join us.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 23:35
I believe the Russian Typhoon Submarine (the class, at least) is the largest sub, and there are plenty of subs larger than Blue Whales.
The Typhoon is 175m long and weighs almost 50,000t underwater, to the Blue Whales 30m and up to 200t. Just a tad bigger...Wink

The largest vessel in history is the Norwegian supertanker "Knock Nevis" I think. It is 458m long, 69m wide and can weigh up to 647,955 t with a full load...pretty huge!
http://www.designcowboys.net/Yamato/Images/allships.jpg

PanzerOberst View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote PanzerOberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 17:51
A question fellas, I have read that Megalodons are estimated to be between 50-90 feet in length. How true is this? And what about phobosuchus, sarcosuchus and deinosuchus? Don't they qualify for this category?
"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows"
- Heinz W. Guderian
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 08:38
I would say the larger the animal the nearer to extinction. Why have a gigantic creature when packs of smaller creatures can evolve and adapt to take them out? Why the blue whale survived I don't know, perhaps it's ability to dive to escape danger and the enormous power of its tail. The krill feeding is a  survival advantage in that it cannot deplete the stocks of other fish and so destroy the food supply chain for it's own species. Across scores of millions of years that has happened often enough.  
elenos
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 18:03
I don't know about biggest, but most alien-looking, masive, deadly, tentacled marine predator is probably the colossal squid. Probably bigger and definitely more muscular and powerful than the giant squid. Two-inch long claws in the center of it's suckers. One got caught by new zealand fishermen, and hauled aboard, although it died during the process. You can find the picture and article here, I think...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6385071.stm
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 02:04
They truly are colossal aren't they! However, I've always thought one of the most mysterious and evil looking of the creatures of the deep was "Vampyroteuthis infernalis". Literally, the "Vampire Squid from hell".

http://www.tolweb.org/Vampyroteuthis_infernalis

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 03:06
The Vampire Squid looks extremely frightening, and the Lions Mane Jelly Fish is a bit disturbing as well.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 04:01

Pretty impressive!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>