Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
HistoryPoi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese History
    Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 04:38
Haha, no no pekau, sorry if I sounded mean, i never bother reading what i write so i didnt see it sounded offencive, but I love Koreans. Most of my frineds and girlfriends in Japan were Korean, haha. I agree with everything you said, and I apoligise for coming across annoyed.
Anyway, I think what the Japanese did were abonible, or whateva the word is.
Okinawa is really pretty by the way. But theres a massive american army base though, so if you go to Yoronto and stuff, small islands off, its heaps nice.
Sorry Pekau! I love Koreans! and Japanese!
Viva La Vida!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 19:54

I never went to Okinawa (Though I wish I did), but I have been in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto. I nearly pleaded to visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but I never went there. I hoped to visit Japan again, but it's going to be hard once I get to Canada. Lucky me.

Join us.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 09:55
Well, it is hard to aspire to any serious research on Japanese history unless you read the language, so what little I know I have learned from half-popular histories such as Stephen Turnbull's books. The focus is most often on the military aspect of Japanese history, so that's I know the most about, it seems this goes for most us, although I'd like to read some English books on Japanese history with a different approach as well.

I am particularly interested in the 16th century; the unificiation of Japan and the encounter with Europeans and Christianity.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 02:00
So educate us on the 16th century japan Reginmund!
Viva La Vida!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 08:54
HistoryPoi:

I am interested in the interaction of the Ainus with the average Japanese in the present and during history. I hear somewhere that some Samurai warriors were Ainus. It is possible? What do you think?

Pinguin

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 11:54
 very few Japanese come to our forum,
leung
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 21:53
Very few indeed. I think I am the only one that lived in the Japan the longest...

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 21:56
Originally posted by pinguin

HistoryPoi:

I am interested in the interaction of the Ainus with the average Japanese in the present and during history. I hear somewhere that some Samurai warriors were Ainus. It is possible? What do you think?

Pinguin

Depends. Ainus had very different military systems compared to Japan's. Being the natives of the northern Japan, they are lightly armed compared to Japanese, but overall... they fell behind compare to Japan's military.

Some Ainus warriors converted into samurai, but as the time went by... population and influence of Ainus weakened, until they became a minor player in Japanese politics. They were nearlt assimilated numerous times...

Join us.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 18:28
when I lived in Japan, I wrote a long essay on hokkaido and then the ainus, who lived in Hokkaido. The Ainus, who were the native to Hokkaido, and very rarely ventured into the main island. Then during the maiji restoration, they mixed, and it wasnt toooo bad of a relationsship. I don't know about the samurai, but im sure it could of happened. THere was heaps of cross breading. The Ainus kinda look Japanese, cept with quite ilslanders!
Viva La Vida!
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 18:36
The ainus lived mainlt yin Hokkaido, which is the north island. So it wasnt untill the maiji restoration that the japanese went up there much. But when they did, they kinda mixed and there was no much tension actually. Im sure some could have become samurais, but it was pretty late in history that they mixed, though its possible. I wrote an essay on Hokkiado when I lived in Japan, so if i can find it, ill attatch it. The Ainu people people are kind of a more islandy culture, and looked a lot like Ainus. Oh and it was crazy btw, ill tell you a little story. I was in an  Ainu village and I watched this amazing dance called the hair dance, which pretty much just involved people swishing there hair up and down. And then i was watching some TV a couple of months later in Australia, and I turned it to a travel show. On this show, they were tlaking about the culture on some of the people on Islands off Taiwan, that had not been effected by the japanese invasion. It was crazy because they dressed exactly the same, and did the exact saqme dance. THen, thinking about that, a couple of weeks later, I went to a museum in Sydney, and it was about people from the torrestraite, and they did the exact same thing. It was amazing proof about the spread of these people. The exact same dance, in the same clothes. Anyway, the Ainus did come from the South, but also from North (Siberia) and West (Mongolia mainly, but also China). Ill try attach the other thing later.
Have fun!
Viva La Vida!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 18:56
Yeah. There are some theories that Ainus were once the same people that travelled to North America.

Join us.
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 13:26
But once upon atime, Aniu occupied most of the Japanese island, later there were pushed back to the North.

In your viewpoint, was it possible the ansectors of today Japanese were  Chinese and Koreans?
leung
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 14:27
Originally posted by tommy

But once upon atime, Aniu occupied most of the Japanese island, later there were pushed back to the North.

In your viewpoint, was it possible the ansectors of today Japanese were  Chinese and Koreans?

Well... no. Aniu were in the mainland of Japan, but the population is mostly in Northern Japan. And Ainus were never a huge majority, but not small minority either. That's why they were never threatened to be assimilated until the population explosion in Maiji period. They never got too involved with Japan's politics and war, and their influence was never too significant in any periods of Japan. They liked to be isolated, except for some trades and some tributes.

Tommy, anything is possible without need for evidence. There are some logical theories about how Chinese, migrated from the West, migrated into Korea and to Japan.

A cool fact that you may not have known is that Korea and Japan were once one unified land! This may explain how the easy the migration may have been in those days...

Join us.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 07:02
Meiji period by the way. The traditional people of Japan came from China, and that there was large amounts of korean influence in the culture. However noone knows about the previous people, like the Jomons and Ainu people's origin. Also, it used to be easy to walk from Siberia from Hokkaido, long after Korea and Japan. But the Ainu culture is so different, and...islandish...from the modern japanese and medieval japanese. So yah, that my iimput.
Viva La Vida!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 08:50
Originally posted by HistoryPoi

So educate us on the 16th century japan Reginmund!

I'd rather not, my knowledge is too sketchy.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 10:39

Korean influence towards Japan was profound only in the early days. Once Japan developed to become a civilization, they started to restrict the Korean influence over Japan until... they only allowed very few in Nagasaki along with few Dutch and Chinese traders.

Join us.
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 02:29
hm, japan was still taking culture and stuff from Korea after they became a civilisation. For example it was recently since they were taking cultureal things such as religions, and geometric city things.
Please Reginmund, my knwlegde is worse than sketchy, but ive managed to say soemthing with some content!
Viva La Vida!
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 06:30

Jomons culture was created by Ainu

leung
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 07:33
Originally posted by tommy

Jomons culture was created by Ainu

It was vice versa wasnt it?
Viva La Vida!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 16:07
Originally posted by HistoryPoi

hm, japan was still taking culture and stuff from Korea after they became a civilisation. For example it was recently since they were taking cultureal things such as religions, and geometric city things.Please Reginmund, my knwlegde is worse than sketchy, but ive managed to say soemthing with some content!

Yeah, too bad it is so badly written.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>