Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Westernization of Iranian clothing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westernization of Iranian clothing...
    Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:17
Originally posted by Spartakus

Why????

Because feminization is, on one side an excesive preocupation for appeareances, for superficial, and on other side is linked to sex, which in my opinion is alienating the human being, when is made for pleasure, not for children birth.

But we fall offtopic.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:21

Originally posted by Menumorut

Originally posted by Spartakus

Why????

Because feminization is, on one side an excesive preocupation for appeareances, for superficial, and on other side is linked to sex, which in my opinion is alienating the human being, when is made for pleasure, not for children birth.

But we fall offtopic.

How come people link "Western" clothing with sex all the time? Tells more about people than western clothing, I'd say.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 06-Dec-2007 at 22:21
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:26
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

How come people link "Western" clothing with sex all the time? Tells more about people than western clothing, I'd say.

I didn't speaked about Western but about beauty. I think this is a dezhumanizing concept.

Due to this 'value' of the society, the girls are, since little, preocupied excesively for their appearing and this made them a ware, objects.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 00:13

I prefer people selling a smile than people selling poison and hate. But hey, that's me. Just another alienated human being.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 00:16
Sorry, i have lost track of this thread. what are we talking about here now?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 11:38

I didn't speaked about Western but about beauty. I think this is a dezhumanizing concept.

Due to this 'value' of the society, the girls are, since little, preocupied excesively for their appearing and this made them a ware, objects.

Huh? Beauty and sexism are totally separated. Do you also think admiring the beauty in a sunset equals belittling nature?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 12:20
I guess Menumorut refers to the attention humans (womanhood being the stereotype he builds his attack on) pay to their own body (and indirectly to the way women dress - this was the original discussion). I think he preaches some sort of carelessness to our bodies (though I'm not sure where he draws the line between hygiene and allegedly excessive care).

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Dec-2007 at 12:33
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 12:34

Huh? Beauty and sexism are totally separated. Do you also think admiring the beauty in a sunset equals belittling nature?

Sorry Zagros and others that I'm answering to the next questions that are offtopic.

Styrbion, there is not non-sexual beauty in humans, in fact the level of beauty is the level of libido.

Originally posted by Chilbudios

I think he preaches some sort of carelessness to our bodies (though I'm not sure where he draws the line between hygiene and allegedly excessive care).

Actualy I wish to see women happier and I think their dependance of superficial things is an impediment.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 12:58
Mmm well I think women have been this way obsessed since time immemorial.   Just look at the archaeological findings at the 5000 year old burnt city.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 13:14

Styrbion, there is not non-sexual beauty in humans, in fact the level of beauty is the level of libido.

Is this theory of yours limited to adult? Or is, in your opinion, a man or woman who think a child is beautiful therefore by default a potential pedophile?

I totally disagree by the way. Beauty in humans doesn't have to be sexual.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 13:37
Originally posted by Zagros

Mmm well I think women have been this way obsessed since time immemorial.   Just look at the archaeological findings at the 5000 year old burnt city.

Only in the Patriarchal societies. In the Matriarchal ones, they weren't.

Is this theory of yours limited to adult? Or is, in your opinion, a man or woman who think a child is beautiful therefore by default a potential pedophile?

I totally disagree by the way. Beauty in humans doesn't have to be sexual.

A hermaphrodite never would be considered beautiful.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 14:09
Matriarchal, such as?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 14:40

Matriarchal, such as?

Such as the prehistoric population from Poliochni, Lemnos island:

There has been discovered a town which was nearly twice as large as contemporary Troy.
The town was surrounded by a stone wall which was 5 meters high, and there were slots for archers. This is rather surprising because at this period only at Poliochni there have been found arrow-heads! It is an amazing parallel to the Amazons because the Amazons were considered as outstanding archers.
A special feature of Poliochni must be pointed out: The town consisted of uniform large dwelling houses which demonstrate that there existed a society with very little social differences. This kind of social order is a typical sign of matriarchy (female rule).

http://www.net4you.com/poellauerg/Lemnos/lemnos.html

Edited by Menumorut - 07-Dec-2007 at 14:41

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 14:40

Only in the Patriarchal societies. In the Matriarchal ones, they weren't.

And your source is?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 15:01

A hermaphrodite never would be considered beautiful.
You certainly haven't read Dexippus' contributions in the threads on Hellenism.
But let me exemplify (from Wikipedia Commons):

I find your visions on women, sexuality and beauty stereotypical and ultimately chauvinistic. While there are trends on beauty and sexuality in the history of art, of ideas, etc., there are far from being the absolute values (moreover, today!) of "humanization" as you have claimed in this thread.

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Dec-2007 at 15:02
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 15:27

Matriarchal, such as?

Such as the prehistoric population from Poliochni, Lemnos island:

There has been discovered a town which was nearly twice as large as contemporary Troy.
The town was surrounded by a stone wall which was 5 meters high, and there were slots for archers. This is rather surprising because at this period only at Poliochni there have been found arrow-heads! It is an amazing parallel to the Amazons because the Amazons were considered as outstanding archers.
A special feature of Poliochni must be pointed out: The town consisted of uniform large dwelling houses which demonstrate that there existed a society with very little social differences. This kind of social order is a typical sign of matriarchy (female rule).

http://www.net4you.com/poellauerg/Lemnos/lemnos.html

yes but how do you know that feminine beauty was not revered in this culture too?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 16:09

And your source is?[/QUOTE]

There are some info about Matriarchal societies on the web, I allready posted about Poliochnis.

You certainly haven't read Dexippus' contributions in the threads on Hellenism.
But let me exemplify (from Wikipedia Commons):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Borghese_Hermaphroditus_Louvre_Ma231_n4.jpg

I find your visions on women, sexuality and beauty stereotypical and ultimately chauvinistic. While there are trends on beauty and sexuality in the history of art, of ideas, etc., there are far from being the absolute values (moreover, today!) of "humanization" as you have claimed in this thread.

In Hellenistic society it was an intelectual cult for hermaphroditism but today is not the case.

The same case is with other non-sexual forms of beauty: they are promoted by some intelectual atitudes in art, but practicaly nobody is atracted by something else at a person of oposite sex than the sex-appeal.

The Aesthetic scale of values is allways linked to some desirable.

yes but how do you know that feminine beauty was not revered in this culture too?

In a society dominated by women there is not competition for males, so they have no reason of wishing to become beautiful.

You know the Neolithic statues of Grand Mother, is not something nice. Even if the Neolithic societies were not Matriarchal, it seems that it was not developed the cult of female beauty, like in the ones from Egypt or, I think Summer.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 16:48
In Hellenistic society it was an intelectual cult for hermaphroditism but today is not the case.

The same case is with other non-sexual forms of beauty: they are promoted by some intelectual atitudes in art, but practicaly nobody is atracted by something else at a person of oposite sex than the sex-appeal.

The Aesthetic scale of values is allways linked to some desirable.
I beg to differ about both these points.
That is a sculpture of a human body; if hermaphroditism as a concept might give you something to muse on, the statue (especially one in this style) simply shares a conception of aesthetics, of visual pleasure (with all the awkardness associated with hermaphroditism, perhaps even in the society for which this statue was conceived in the first place - you may get some chills noticing a woman with penis, but there's beauty of human body reflected in this statue).
Aesthetics cannot be reduced to desire. I know art will always be under the spectrum of subjectivity, so I won't appeal to your perceptions, but to mine (and I'll give you this eventual argumentative defense to dismiss my decadent tastes). I find beautiful (to avoid making an art gallery in this thread I'll just pick in the same line sculptures of women in pictures from Wikipedia) like Modigliani's http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Modiglianihead1911.jpg or Paciurea's   http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Dimitrie_Paciurea_-_Himera_pamantului.jpg . I'm not sexually aroused by any of these statues and if I'll see such women in real life probably I'll be thinking of them as being some unfortunate genetic monstruosities. Yet, for art I find them aesthetic and visually pleasant. Behind them there's the craft of the artist to relate beauty to feminity in a (largely - maybe someone is aroused by them, I don't know) non-sexual way.

In a society dominated by women there is not competition for males, so they have no reason of wishing to become beautiful.
That is very stereotypical. Undoubtely the sexual attraction plays a major role in the behaviour of humans to beautify, but the reductionism you practice and this anti-hedonistic campaign (you earlier called for a sexuality strictly related to pregnancy) is dangerously extremist. To relate this discussion to this thread's topic, I have strong doubts the "Westernized" dress styles from Iran are reductible to sexuality.

You know the Neolithic statues of Grand Mother, is not something nice. Even if the Neolithic societies were not Matriarchal, it seems that it was not developed the cult of female beauty, like in the ones from Egypt or, I think Summer.
I am disagreeing from two points of view:
a) I find them nice (and not only me, since many historians of art start with prehistoric art and often in appreciative terms)
b) I find them much more sexually suggestive than my former examples from modern sculpture (because the breasts and the buttocks and the thighs are usually exaggerated in size, obviously a symbol for sexual fertility). Examples from Wikipedia:

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Dec-2007 at 16:52
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 17:57
Chilbudios, lets close this discussion, we may continuate it in private or on other topic.

Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 23:39

Western clothing sells sex. What does it tell you more about other people, that they respond to the advertisements?
Western clothes tend to be tighter, more form fitting, and less of the actual clothes than other nations.

Edited by Mughaal - 09-Dec-2007 at 03:39
Mughal e Azam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>