Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book Reviews.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book Reviews.
    Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 15:31

Most of you may have read this,I have read it 2 years ago,but I thought it would be agood idea to write a review of it;it is the one of the books I have most enjoyed:

The Crime and Punishment by Fiyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevski

The novel portrays the haphazardly planned murder of a miserly, aged pawnbroker and her younger sister by a destitute Saint Petersburg student named Raskolnikov, and the emotional, mental, and physical effects that follow.

After falling ill with fever and lying bedridden for days, Raskolnikov is overcome with paranoia and begins to imagine that everyone he meets suspects him of the murder; the knowledge of his crime eventually drives him mad. Along the way, however, he meets the prostitute Sofya Semyonovna, with whom he falls in love. Dostoevsky uses this relationship as an allegory of God's love for fallen humanity, and that love's redemptive power: but only after Raskolnikov has confessed to the murder and been sent to imprisonment in Siberia

When it comes to my comments,the novel has a misty,pessimistic atmosphere and sometimes it becomes a real psychologic novel,but it has a thing that attracts people easily.If you read a summary of the book,you will certainly think that it is a boring and a too serious novel,but I talked with lots of people that read the novel;all of them said that the novel is perfect.If you begin to read it,I am sure that you will not leave it until it ends.

Edited by Jagatai Khan
Scanderbeg View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Scanderbeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 09:37

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

Waiting for Godot, By Samuel Beckett

Themes:  Pointlessness and Absurdity

I hated my self for reading this...but the crap sticks to you and now I'm quite fond of the play.  My favorite saying now is, "Nothing to be done..."

Read it.
Hate it.
Enjoy it.

Read it...Hated it for wasting my time...Read it for the second time, love it...Its pathetically funny

panilir
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 19:37
I found a new book about the fall of Constantinople titled "1453 The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West" by Roger Crowly. It just came out this year but has anyone had a chance to review it. I will try and get it through the library.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 21:46
Just finished reading, "He died old, Mithradates Eupator, King of Pontus" by Alfred Duggan.  One of the best books I have read this year, great job of storytelling regarding Mithradates' life and constant struggle against Rome.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 12:16

-I just finished reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Originally published in 1899, the Heart of Darkness is a story which probes into many aspects of the human mind. The story takes place in the Congo on an ivory expedition. It shows the greed and cruelty of humanity when you are accountable to nobody but yourself.

-Overall, I really enjoyed this read! The plot is very interesting, and the suspense will keep you reading on to the next chapter. The descriptive language is a little lengthy, as I thought I would go mad if I heard another description of a tree or a river. Also, the fluency of this piece is lacking. (Joseph Conrad was an inexperienced author with little or no formal training) This book has its ups and downs, and I would recommend it for those looking for a "deep" read open to personal interpretation. I read this book for the first time as a high school senior in 2003, and did not fully understand the content of the writing. After my second read, I understood the material better, and would recommend reading this book at least twice for full comprehension. Again, this book is not for everybody, but I would recommend it for those who are familiar with Conrad's writings or interested in the subject matter.

-Rating: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness: 4/5

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 03:02
eh, Apocalypse now was better
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 14:42
Apocalypse Now Redux is one of my all time favorite movies! The movie does an excellent job of using the Heart of Darkness underlying theme and ideas in a modern day setting.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12