Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great: Visionary or Tyrant?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Were the effects of Alexander's conquests beneficial to the conquered?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [14.29%]
17 [60.71%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great: Visionary or Tyrant?
    Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 18:20
Originally posted by Suren

What he has done to Persepolis shows he was only a conquer not a liberator. Although I admire him as a good general but not as a good conquer.

I guess the question becomes what makes a "good" conqueror? When you compare Alexander to the likes of Caesar, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, Napoleon, etc., is he "good" or "bad"? Are we (the US) liberators of the Iraqi people or an occupier to secure the oil supply? Was the Imperial Japanese Army in the early 20th century liberating Asia from Western colonialism as Japan claimed (which was very valid) or were they just conquering all these nations for their own selfish reasons? The answers are sure to vary amongst various people from different parts of the world and objective non-biased observers will find that there are no simple answers.

As far as the burning of Persepolis, I agree that there is no "excuse" for what Alexander did or is responsible for, but Persepolis wasn't easy to get to and as he approached the city, he ran into a horde of horribly mutilated Greek slaves escaping the city that was being deserted by the Persians. Reportedly, Alexander wept when he saw these Greek slaves and went into a rage as he entered the city. Then, alcohol seems to have played a role in him losing control and allowing the palace to be burned. Judging by what Alexander did to Thebes, Tyre, and Gaza, what he did to Persepolis doesn't seem out of line or out of character.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by Spartakus

Originally posted by HEROI

I think that first of all Alexander was not Greek but Macedonian

People, can you stop referring to the question of whether he was or not Greek? Really, it ends up tiresome reading continuous debates about this in every God damn topic related to Alexander. I said it once in the past and i'll say it once again: Alexander would have died from fatigue if he just sat and read all these endless pages about his origins......

Well but i think that is important.He is Alexander the Great of Macedonia,not of Greece.
Alexander did not anex Greek cities ,he invaded them by war.
His mentor was kicked out of Athens precisely because he was Macedonian,before he returned to Athens victorious with his king.Macedonia clearly had a kingdom called Macedonia,while Greeks never had a Kingdom/state called Greece.Greeks were population that have spoken/writen the Greek language and shared common culture,while Macedonias had a unified Kingdom/state and even when Greek cities were invaded still Macedonia was that and Greek cities were Greek cities.This is worth pointing if we are to have a honest debate.

As i said,during that time,invasions were made for the glory of living gods (kings such as Alexander) and the concept of humanistic interventions did not exist.Visionary?For what?What could posibly had been his vision exept glory for Macedonia and his own glory?
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 19:56
It's not honest it's boring debate.
What could posibly had been his vision exept glory for Macedonia and his own glory?
I would say his own glory was the most important :) In any case conquests usually helped culture exchange and this was the major benefit.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 20:18

Originally posted by Spartakus

I think that first of all Alexander was not Greek but Macedonian

People, can you stop referring to the question of whether he was or not Greek? Really, it ends up tiresome reading continuous debates about this in every God damn topic related to Alexander. I said it once in the past and i'll say it once again: Alexander would have died from fatigue if he just sat and read all these endless pages about his origins......

Well but i think that is important.He is Alexander the Great of Macedonia,not of Greece.
Alexander did not anex Greek cities ,he invaded them by war.
His mentor was kicked out of Athens precisely because he was Macedonian,before he returned to Athens victorious with his king.Macedonia clearly had a kingdom called Macedonia,while Greeks never had a Kingdom/state called Greece.Greeks were population that have spoken/writen the Greek language and shared common culture,while Macedonias had a unified Kingdom/state and even when Greek cities were invaded still Macedonia was that and Greek cities were Greek cities.This is worth pointing if we are to have a honest debate.

As i said,during that time,invasions were made for the glory of living gods (kings such as Alexander) and the concept of humanistic interventions did not exist.Visionary?For what?What could posibly had been his vision exept glory for Macedonia and his own glory?

HEROI what you re doing right now is flaming. What you say is totally irrelevant to the topic. i am not going to be dragged in a stupid debate to prove you wrong and I hopw nobody else will.

Now ON TOPIC,  Alexander attacked Persia

a)cause there was already a plan to do it
b)he wanted glory and fame
c)he wanted to explore the world
d)70% of the known world's money (if not more) was there

That's all.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 21:57
DO NOT speak about the Alexander the great Greek or Macedonian issue on here. All the mods for this section and most of the people on here have had enough of it - you want to talk about it, ask a mod to start up a new thread on the minefield

Are you sure about that? The Hittites (who weren't Hellenic as you mentioned) were even allied with the Trojans against Greeks. To be honest I don't think they considered Anatolian civilizations to be civilized at all, especially knowing the way they dealt with Trojans.

There's actually no substantive evidence that the had an alliance with the Trojans against the "Greeks" and using terms such as "Greeks" at that time period is a little bit pointless. Moreover, I never said that they were hellenic, just that they were indo-European. We don't really know if who they dealt with were the "Trojans" or not, and there are more than 30 sites around the black sea and Aegean coast line on Turkey that have been considered and have a good chance of being Troy. Our knowledge of the Hittites' involvement in the west is very limited indeed, and all that we really know is that they had a "cold war" with another Hurrian-based state around that area and had a main stronghold in Lycia, or to them, "the land of the lukka".

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 19-Mar-2008 at 22:01
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 22:32
Originally posted by Anton

It's not honest it's boring debate.
What could posibly had been his vision exept glory for Macedonia and his own glory?
I would say his own glory was the most important :) In any case conquests usually helped culture exchange and this was the major benefit.
I must agree with you on this one.Lets atribute to Alexander the great (of Macedonia by the way) the vision that he had in conquest for cultural exchange :-)
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 22:41
Guys we are in an historic debate,and why should you take my  historical fact that he was Macedonian,and the King of Macedonia for that,as inflamatory?
I dont understand,if one freely expresses an opinion that he was Greek,then surely based on what history teaches us,i will dissagree and say  no actually,he was not,he was Macedonian.
And above all i dont understand why is Greek guys in this forum that get inflamed by this comment.I'd like to know wether they teach you in the school in Greece that Alexander the Great (of Macedonia) was Greek.Just curiosity.

You dont have to get upset at my opinion,if you find the origines of Alexander sensitive,then dont call him Greek (here without expecting an answer to that),which he could well have been,but history and the logical conclussions to be drawn by it,tells us he was not,he was Macedonian.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 22:51

Guys we are in an historic debate,and why should you take my  historical fact that he was Macedonian,and the King of Macedonia for that,as inflamatory?

Because this is the 10101010100001010 time we say this. In that sense it is a flame and a fadeaway shot. You know Alexander and almost all royals (unlike the macedonian citizens) are Argead Temenids and Aeacides. The Royal House is currently not an uncertain issue.

Second, it does not help in providing an opinion in being a visionary or a tyrant.

Can we now continue with the subject?

Thank you

Edited by Flipper - 19-Mar-2008 at 22:57

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 02:06
Well, getting back to the original topic on hand, I think we need to consider why certain individuals seek to be a ruler or a head of state all around the world and why they've done so throughout all of history. Do we really believe that most politicians are in it for the well-being of the people or are they in it for their egos and other selfish interests like power, money, fame, etc.? How many politicians or leaders around the world today are in it for "glory"? How many of them really care about the plight of the people that they claim to want to serve?

It's really difficult to visualize or comprehend what the social mores were like and what the common people thought about during Alexander's time. Too often, we simply think about what Alexander did during his era through the lens of our modern perspectives and moral values. Things just aren't that simple. It's like the difference between the cultures of the East and the West. I'm a Korean-American who spent virtually equal amounts of time growing up both in Korea and in the US. It's impossible for me to really describe one culture to the other and vice versa when they have never experienced it. I have been to China dozens of times weeks at a time on business and still after all this time, I can't say I understand the Chinese psyche or what's really going on there. China is still foreign to me from both Korean and American perspectives.

What I'm getting at is that the topic is not such a simple question. Was he a benign visionary multi-culturalist who was magnanimous to his subjects or was he a ruthless megalomaniac tyrant who was willing to go to all lengths to eliminate his enemies to get his way? It really isn't one or the other. What Alexander's cobbled-up story tells us is that he was a good portion of both and that he swung wildly from one extreme to the other based on the external circumstances and situations during his life. He was an extraordinarily complex character who had strong elements of extreme antipodes. He was a savage warrior but also an intellectual who loved to read the plays of Sophocles and play the lyre. He was a cunning and Machiavellian (preceding the philosopher-political writer by nearly two millennia) statesman who ruthlessly eliminated any threats to his power but was also an almost naive dreamer who trusted friends too easily and respected women and the cultures (including religions) of those he conquered.

I've compared Alexander to many other conquerors and rulers of history in both the West and the East and there just hasn't been anyone quite like him. And, yes, he was so far ahead of his time that he must have seemed bewildering to both his closest associates and the common people alike. I also think that's why his enemies so often misjudged him and got outwitted by him. You look at his achievements and how he went about achieving them and he can be considered a proto-liberal progressive by even today's standards. He was just so unconventional. He can be ruthlessly pragmatic in one instance and then in the next instance totally go off on an tangent basing his actions on dreams and naive idealism. He was an intriguing mix of the two sides of the coin. Some will say that he was more of a visionary and some will say more of a tyrant. It really comes down to how each individual filters the information that we absorb about him in his or her own particular way. I just think that we need to keep an open mind to what the conditions were like in those days and what you and I would have done if we were in his position.
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 06:20
Originally posted by AlexKhan

Originally posted by Suren

What he has done to Persepolis shows he was only a conquer not a liberator. Although I admire him as a good general but not as a good conquer.

I guess the question becomes what makes a "good" conqueror? When you compare Alexander to the likes of Caesar, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, Napoleon, etc., is he "good" or "bad"? Are we (the US) liberators of the Iraqi people or an occupier to secure the oil supply? Was the Imperial Japanese Army in the early 20th century liberating Asia from Western colonialism as Japan claimed (which was very valid) or were they just conquering all these nations for their own selfish reasons? The answers are sure to vary amongst various people from different parts of the world and objective non-biased observers will find that there are no simple answers.

As far as the burning of Persepolis, I agree that there is no "excuse" for what Alexander did or is responsible for, but Persepolis wasn't easy to get to and as he approached the city, he ran into a horde of horribly mutilated Greek slaves escaping the city that was being deserted by the Persians. Reportedly, Alexander wept when he saw these Greek slaves and went into a rage as he entered the city. Then, alcohol seems to have played a role in him losing control and allowing the palace to be burned. Judging by what Alexander did to Thebes, Tyre, and Gaza, what he did to Persepolis doesn't seem out of line or out of character.

it seems out of character for the Persians to have slaves, it is against their beliefs, zoroastrian customs and culture at the time, I think Persepolis was built by paid laborers instead of slaves, Greek culture promulgated slavery and adopted it as natural law, I believe Aristotle even said that. but if you have a source I would gladly appreciate it, it might change my view of Persian culture of that time.

Edited by JUliusAugustus - 20-Mar-2008 at 06:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 07:22
Originally posted by JUliusAugustus

it seems out of character for the Persians to have slaves, it is against their beliefs, zoroastrian customs and culture at the time, I think Persepolis was built by paid laborers instead of slaves, Greek culture promulgated slavery and adopted it as natural law, I believe Aristotle even said that. but if you have a source I would gladly appreciate it, it might change my view of Persian culture of that time.

This is a common theme in various books (30+) I've read about Alexander. As for ancient sources, it's Qunitus Curtius Rufus's 'The History of Alexander' book 5, chapter 5:

When he (Alexander) was not far from the city (Persepolis), the king was met by a pitiful group of men whose misfortune has few parallels in history. They were Greek captives, some 4,000 in number, whom the Persians had subjected to various kinds of torture. Some had their feet cut off, some their hands and ears. They had been branded with letters from the Persian alphabet by their captors, who had kept them to amuse themselves over a long period by humiliating them.

Curtius's sources are Diodorus and Justin - not the most reliable ancient sources, but sources nonetheless...
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 07:42

I believe Aristotle even said that.

Yes, indeed he said that. Strange how such an intellectual promoted such ideas.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 07:48
Originally posted by Flipper

And in 19th century America - only about 150 years ago, Christians in the south believed that God gave them the right to own slaves. They quoted the Bible and you can easily look that up in the Old Testament. And virtual slavery still exists in much of the world today.

Edited by AlexKhan - 20-Mar-2008 at 07:50
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 09:33
Originally posted by AlexKhan

This is a common theme in various books (30+) I've read about Alexander. As for ancient sources, it's Qunitus Curtius Rufus's 'The History of Alexander' book 5, chapter 5:

When he (Alexander) was not far from the city (Persepolis), the king was met by a pitiful group of men whose misfortune has few parallels in history. They were Greek captives, some 4,000 in number, whom the Persians had subjected to various kinds of torture. Some had their feet cut off, some their hands and ears. They had been branded with letters from the Persian alphabet by their captors, who had kept them to amuse themselves over a long period by humiliating them.

Curtius's sources are Diodorus and Justin - not the most reliable ancient sources, but sources nonetheless...

I dont think he meant them as Persian slaves, they are captives, might be great to edit what you said and change them to captives instead of slaves, the Persians invented one of the most sadistic methods of torture, the crucifix.

but this might be romanticizing it, Ive always perceived history as written by people who were never there. the major problem with achaemnenid history, dang I hope I remotely spelled it right, is its lack of records, not like the Roman sources, Greek sources and Han chinese sources.
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 09:34

thanks bro, you from macedonia, cool, I would love to visit your country one of these days, if I managed to save enough money.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 10:19

thanks bro, you from macedonia, cool, I would love to visit your country one of these days, if I managed to save enough money.

Here is a summary of what Aristotle said: http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/distance_arc/las_casas/Aristotle-slavery.html

It is meet that Hellenes should rule over barbarians;
as if they thought that the barbarian and the slave were by nature one.

Ofcourse I won't agree with him.

I'm from what is historically Upper Macedonia though (borders of Orestes and Boion around Ancient Apidea). Nortwestern Greece. That's why i have ", GR" next to my location.

Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 10:20

Here is a summary of what Aristotle said: http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/distance_arc/las_casas/Aristotle-slavery.html

It is meet that Hellenes should rule over barbarians;
as if they thought that the barbarian and the slave were by nature one.

Ofcourse I won't agree with him.

I'm from what is historically Upper Macedonia though (borders of Orestes and Boion around Ancient Apidea). Nortwestern Greece. That's why i have ", GR" next to my location.

thanks flipper.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 10:27

10101010100001010 time

Is it binary? I bet you Greek fellas believe it was created by some Alexander's teacher  Tongue
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 11:01
Originally posted by Anton

10101010100001010 time

Is it binary? I bet you Greek fellas believe it was created by some Alexander's teacher  Tongue

It is because of my work... LOL
Too much binary there.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 02:25
Funny thing is I had to write an Essay about this for school
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>