Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is aging inevitable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is aging inevitable?
    Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 10:26

Is aging inevitable?

Yes, our physical body obeys  "Second Law of Thermodynamics" -

http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookEner1.html

"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 11:29
Originally posted by Cezar

I imagine that the laws of nature are not universal laws of existence but simulacres, false appearences. Logicaly, this is more plausible than believing that there are some laws of mattery that function by their own principles.
What
are the logical statements that lead to such a conclusion? Can you please elaborate them?

The principle of existence should be self-sufficient, or the world in the materialist vision, exists from ever but there is not explanation why.

Imagine your daughter is diagnozed with diabetes. What would want her to do? Swallow pills or think that diabetes is just imagination?

I don't have rules for how to behave, the same situation can be taken different in two occasions. I decide what to do in a mystic way, remaining in prayer and renouncing at any activity for this and there are some deeds that are done without me implying with my atention in them (the body is moving itself).

So, if she stays focused on that she will always be healthy and young. Better for her if she never gets to see a doctor. Cause if the doctors will tell her she has a health problem she might imagine that the doctor is right and then she gets ill just because she considered there is aproblem.

I explained, I repeat: I don't say to adopt some ideas, autosugestion is a grave error, both because can lead only to bad results and also because any form of mind self-controll produce psychiatric disorders.

I say simply to no more believe that aging or getting sick is a natural process or a material changement in our body, or that the body is material.

If you think that I'm considering Discovery channel as a science class maybe it's you who should stop watching it. And do read some real science books. You look quite found of history. Does that mean that you also consider this as being solely your imagination.

I refered to Discovery channel because its stories are definitory for that kind of belief in science.

I do not watch Discovery (or tv generaly), I have real scientifical books in my library and I've spent tens of hours in the libraries of the universities of medicine, chemistry, biology an others, not to mention tens of visits an natural history museum and others.

I'm not fixed in my convinction about history, I simply take it as it appears and also I love it.

Then you should not dare to use a computer.

why? What's the logic? Are you considering that computers are the merit of science people? You are wrong in two ways:

-nodoby can produce something or discover something, just watch how your mind works and will see any good thought doesn't comef from you

-nothing is impure, so there is not logic to not use computer

Is the reality according to your imagination or vice-versa? If the latter, I can draw a set of logical statements that makes you God. Or me. Or anyone else.

saying this you prove that you are only making speculations, not looking for the truth.

Originally posted by Richard XIII

<h1>Is aging inevitable?</h1>Yes, our physical body obeys "Second Law of Thermodynamics" -

<font size="+1">http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookEner1.html

<font size="+1"><font size="+1">

The fact that some things are happening the same way apparently since ever doesn't mean that those laws are laws of existence. It can be a simulacre.

Edited by Menumorut - 20-Mar-2008 at 11:37

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 14:27

I don't think that this debate will really go anywhere, because the paradigms which Menumorut uses as opposed to the rest of the forumers are radically different. Arguments logical within one paradigm make no sense in another. As far as changing the paradigms of others, I somehow don't think it will happen, because it requires a leap of faith.

Just an aside note: it's interesting how this topic is debated almost exclusively by Romanians (at least all the arguments longer than a few words) , even though it would seem that it is a topic of universal appeal...

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 17:50
I remember I had once with Menumorut a frustrating discussion on a similar topic, and, to paraphrase Decebal, when adapting his arguments to my paradigm it led to an unescapable self-contradiction. I for one cannot understand someone claiming everything is an illusion but at the same time attempting to persuade someone else of that.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 20:58
The only way to never get old is to die young.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 15:19
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

I rather get old than get dead.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2008 at 12:05

Originally posted by Brian J Checco

I rather get old than get dead.

Just keep these words of wisdom from mother Clay [83] in mind, "Getting old ain't for sissies". Wink

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 08:01
Originally posted by malizai_

It is amazing though that a self repairing organism dies. How the gene clock  suddenly switches on the ageing and growing processes.Why can it not repair itself indefinately?
Is it fighting it's environment and does not yet have all the counter strategies?
Are we designed to fail?

It is an interesting topic.

We are designed to propogate the species then die off so younger generations can flourish.

edit:
"the only way to never grow old is to die young"

Haha, too true!

Edited by Adalwolf - 27-Mar-2008 at 08:03
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 08:42
Why people chose what they don't like?

Nobody wants get old, so it would be reasonable not to believe that is natural to get old.

f you believe is naturaly to get old surely something bad will happen, is impossible to remain young in this way. If you believe, say, that is normaly that with time to get blind, this belief will have a bad effect.

So, first you need to kill the belief. You have not duty to listen what science or even your eyes show.

Is such anost and sad to live thinking everything is natural, what you loose if you try something else?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 13:52
Originally posted by Menumorut

Shall I take this as a confirmation that you don't have any other objections to my analysis of the physical, material existence of the aging of the body, except for the fact that I did not take into account the soul?

I consider it completely fancy. The world is not constituted of atoms, is just a story.

What exactly is it made up off then?

Even religious books affirm the existence of atoms, the Big Bang, and most especially death. You know Noah didn't really live to be a thousand years old, numbers such as that just try to relatively note his unique old age in a time when for the average person 4 decades of living was a marvel.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 14:03

Why people chose what they don't like?

Nobody wants get old, so it would be reasonable not to believe that is natural to get old.

f you believe is naturaly to get old surely something bad will happen, is impossible to remain young in this way. If you believe, say, that is normaly that with time to get blind, this belief will have a bad effect.

So, first you need to kill the belief. You have not duty to listen what science or even your eyes show.

Is such anost and sad to live thinking everything is natural, what you loose if you try something else?

Science proves that you will get old and die. Religious texts such as the Bible, Qu'ran, and others also have the same theory, you will eventually die, hence why there is a Day of Judgement to account for your life. Basic observation will confirm this too when you see people dying around you of old age.

Yes I understand that living forever ambition, but unless you are the Highlander, or you are an Elf in LOTR you will fail in that quest. I do not understand how you can just wish yourself into another physical state. In that case I wish for a few billion Gs.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by es_bih

What exactly is it made up off then?

Even religious books affirm the existence of atoms, the Big Bang, and most especially death. You know Noah didn't really live to be a thousand years old, numbers such as that just try to relatively note his unique old age in a time when for the average person 4 decades of living was a marvel.

The principle of existence and the Being is God and the world is His creqtion from nothing.

The world can be only an illusions of our mind, it was not created for something else than for humans.

Religious books are inspirational for me but not as a message from God that have to be respected strictly.

Science proves that you will get old and die. Religious texts such as the Bible, Qu'ran, and others also have the same theory, you will eventually die, hence why there is a Day of Judgement to account for your life. Basic observation will confirm this too when you see people dying around you of old age.

Yes I understand that living forever ambition, but unless you are the Highlander, or you are an Elf in LOTR you will fail in that quest. I do not understand how you can just wish yourself into another physical state. In that case I wish for a few billion Gs.

If world is an illusion, science is fake, even the laws of nature apparently worked for millenia.

The Bible says that some people will not taste the death.

Living for ever is one thing and remaining young for ever is a different thing.

Living for ever as an elder or even not young would not be very pleasantful.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 21:45

Do you want get old? If not, than don't.
People believe that they have duties toward the natural laws, they believe that have to obbey what science, biology, medicine says. This is a form of aberant religion, the belief in science.
That's one really crazy set of statements! I don't believe to have duties toward natural laws, that's totally absurd. That's religious thinking twisting reality. I'm not in awe when I calculate the trajectory of a stone.
What is aging? Is a summe of different categories of human degradation processes: -the weaking of spiritual powers, memory, logic, rapidity of thoughts -the weakness of the 5 senses -the weaking of physical powers in the movement of the body -the aspect of body's exterior tissues: skin, hair, fingernails etc -the bad feeling of articulations, muscles -the ilnesses -the psychological stress, the melancholy for the past life
That's a mixture of spiritual and physical degradations. And some have nothing to do with aging. Try drinking a bottle of palinca. That's aging a lot since I can guarantee that all simptoms above will be raging. Not to mention the hangover afterward.
Science say all these are natural phenomenon because the body is made of material structures that are deteriorating with the time. I believe something else. Our life is not something reziding in us but a permanent gift from God, He "recreates" us in each second. The energy we feel when we are young we perceive as an intrinsec characteristic but is not, is an work of God. If He doesn't give this energy, a child become powerless as an old man.
Then I don't like this big daddy that "gives" or "not gives". I don't like being at the mercy of anyone or anything. My point is that God should do go and mess with someone else. And let me age in peace.
   The bad aspect of skin is because people don't constientize their body as an ensamble of feelings but as a visual image. If they would focus on how they feel their body, including skin, this will make them constientize the parts of the body and this constientization will lead to a better functioning of the body, circulation of fluids etc and the skin would become as one of a child. The same for articulations. The hair is a tissue without sensorial cells so we cann't constientize it. It is loosing its color because if not, it will start to look like a wig. Also it starts to fall off and you remain balder and balder. What is the solution? Like the body, the hair have to be in our minds, not a material excrescence on our skull. The human spirit can advance at never end in constientizing something. We can constientize more and more that we need a hair and our personality will be changed by the accumulation of these thoughts. The weakness of spiritual powers and senses is like the weakness of body, is not something we ever owed. When we are children, God gives it because we are unconscious, but more mature we are our analytic observation is acutizing and we observe deeper and deeper the nature and source of phenomenons inside us and seeing that some foreign powers are put in us is not good, in God's thoughts. But there is another kind of deterioration of spiritual powers, the one made by the sin. By sin I understand betraying God, something in our relation with a God as a person Being. Not only with God but also with human beings, when we betray someone, something dies in us, in our spirit and we don't understand this, we forget what we have done and are not able to remember and understand. Is a death before death. The betrayal of God and of human beings have not only this effect but also the weaking of spiritual powers. By betrayal I understand any bad thing made intentionately to other person. What is the solution for this death of the soul? We can do nothing, but we can wait God's help (we don't know what sins have done but God can bring them in our memory). I have read a book by an Orthodox monk, father Sophrony Sakharov (died in 1993) describing how God recalled him in a mystic way, showing his sins and the "cave" where the sins have bringed his soul. Is very beautiful, he was an intellectual, an artist in Paris after the Russian revolution, then lived some years at Athos and then (in the '50) moved in Britain and founded a monastery which still is a strong spiritual center. The ilnesses are too the effect of sins (because sins bring an atrophiation of the consciousness of the body too) and of the belief that body is a material thing, not a memory complex of sensations in our spirit. The melancholy is due to going farther of our childhood and youth and of the lost of friends and relatives. We should not fight against it because this is part of our personality and destroying this will destroy us. A child is happy because is at the beginning of his/her life. If we could return in time, we would be happy again. This doesn't stay in our powers but God can. I present something that is specific to Christian-Orthodox mystic (mostly based on Sophrony's writings): God can touch us with His uncreated energies (a form of existence perceived by us in a sensorial way, but not (only) with the 5 senses). This touch, coming from the One who is the beginning of beginnings (super-temporal) makes us live all our past life in present so no more reason for being sad.

If you think you can replace reality with your illusions then go ahead. I'll pay you a visit if/when things will really get bad. We are just apes, slightly more aware of our world than a gorilla. Phylosophy is interesting but it doesn't stop us from dying. Fear of deth is something everybody shares. I don't "believe" in confronting reality with imagination. "Mind over matter" sounds great but I leave the Force to rest in the Star Wars Universe.

This looks interesting and I will print it and read it later. cezar it is your right not to believe in a creator and that we are only apes but that is your belief and you cannot prove it otherwise. I think that thread exists somewhere on A&E/
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 12:15

I feel the real issue is not whether aging is inevitable but what is the significance if our body cells can be renewed all the time - thus providing an indefinite natural lifespan.

Bear in mind one thing - if one person can have it, so can the whole world.

The closest analogy I can think of would be a MMORPG where a PC cannot die.
It might seem fun at first, but the whole point of the game could soon lose its significance.

A PC can complete all the available missions, and even if someone else keep churning out new missions or expand the the MMORPG universe to provide new things, eventually, after a very long time, it will get stale.

At this juncture, our mortal limitations are what gives us the sense of purpose or sense of urgency in life.

Without this limitation, what then would be our purpose in life?

Even for people who can perceive every day and every encounter with another human being as a new experience, the perception is framed by our knowledge of our own mortality.

Suppose we revert to the time when we were children and did not yet comprehend what mortality means.

Now think about the individuals, some you might know in real life, who never seemed to grow out of that phase.

When one has experienced life up to a certain point, there are few things which are new anymore, and fewer which could excite and give joy.

It's like you conquered the whole world in a MMORPG, and taken on thousands of new contenders.  What would be the sense of purpose to keep you playing?

Edited by snowybeagle - 06-Jun-2008 at 12:16
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 13:26
Originally posted by snowybeagle

It's like you conquered the whole world in a MMORPG, and taken on thousands of new contenders. What would be the sense of purpose to keep you playing?

Yes, in this world would be boring, monotonous to live infinitely.

But if there is other world, like the one from Christian teachings, would be annoying to live eternaly aged. Eternity has a sense only if you remain forever young.

What I have had in mind when I started the topic is that elderness is a placebo effect. People think is normal to get old, almost nobody dare to think is possible to remain young and surely in these conditions aging appears in the changing of the body and in the self-consciousness which stop to be that from the youth.

A cause of this is also that people perceive their body as an object separable from their personality, this is why they go to doctor for 'repairing' it when is broken or try to modify it visualy.

I perceive my body as the sum of my non-visual sensations of it, is a very deep link with it and this way it's part of my conscience and cann't get deteriorated because I fill all its parts with my consciousness, it's totaly in my conscience, not somewhere else.

Edited by Menumorut - 06-Jun-2008 at 13:45

Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 18:35

But if there is other world, like the one from Christian teachings, would be annoying to live eternaly aged. Eternity has a sense only if you remain forever young.
Why would you think the world from the Christian teaching would mean to live eternally aged?

The Christian teaching of eternal living points to living with a new ageless body, which is not the same body as the mortal body in this world.  Agelessness means neither young nor old as both terms do not have any meaning in that dimension.
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 18:48

I perceive my body as the sum of my non-visual sensations of it, is a very deep link with it and this way it's part of my conscience and cann't get deteriorated because I fill all its parts with my consciousness, it's totaly in my conscience, not somewhere else.
There's another thought I've been toying with - that our bodies are a part of the world, that are consituted by mainly carbon atoms (with other elements) put together in a certain way by a continuous process which constantly builds up bodies and tears them down.

With minor exception of meteorites, the mass of the Earth remains a relative finite constant.

Though we need ingest of hydrocarbons in certain forms, these intakes can ultimately be broken down into chemical elements.

Thus, if the human bodies do not break down, population of humans would keep growing (assuming people continue to reproduce).  Eventually, the Earth is going to run out of hydrocarbon elements to produce the food needed.

It's like taking the finite basic building materials to keep constructing something that never breaks and return to the original form, and eventually, the materials would run out.

No ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 19:20

The Christian teaching of eternal living points to living with a new ageless body, which is not the same body as the mortal body in this world.   

Not only the body is aging but the soul, I mean people are getting another self-identity with time. In the Orthodox icon of Dormition the soul of the Mother of God is shown as a baby but this doesn't happen of most people.

Even if there is a body changement, a soul with an aged self-consciousness will look old. But a new body cann't be eternal, only what is spiritual is eternal, everything which is composed is destined to decomposition. The Christian teachings about human resurrection says not about new bodies but about the old bodies and I'm interpreting this as the people will retake all their conscience about their bodily life before dying.

Agelessness means neither young nor old as both terms do not have any meaning in that dimension.

I meat a concept, that both youth and aged are not intrinsic to the soul who is praying (meaning that when praying the soul is in its real dimension, not distorted by what ration added to the personality) in a book by Sophrony Sakharov (this book I love the most after the Bible) but I think you have to be young to be happy.

Though we need ingest of hydrocarbons in certain forms, these intakes can ultimately be broken down into chemical elements.

I think is possible to live without eating and I hope a day this will happen with me. The weakness of the body when you don't eat is ilusory, the strenght of body, at any level (I mean you have sometimes more energy sometimes less and there are stronger and weaker people) is spiritual, is a sensation of the soul. The fact that this energy is commonly corelated the eaten food is simulated by God, I consider.

Thus, if the human bodies do not break down, population of humans would keep growing (assuming people continue to reproduce).

At a smaller pace, this is the direction still people dying.

Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 04:54

Even if there is a body changement, a soul with an aged self-consciousness will look old. But a new body cann't be eternal, only what is spiritual is eternal, everything which is composed is destined to decomposition. The Christian teachings about human resurrection says not about new bodies but about the old bodies and I'm interpreting this as the people will retake all their conscience about their bodily life before dying.

1 Corinthians 15:42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable;

I meat a concept, that both youth and aged are not intrinsic to the soul who is praying (meaning that when praying the soul is in its real dimension, not distorted by what ration added to the personality) in a book by Sophrony Sakharov (this book I love the most after the Bible) but I think you have to be young to be happy.
I cannot speak of what Sakharov may or may not have said or meant.

But the concept of eternity is one that is ageless, otherwise, it is not eternal nor ageless.

The best analogy I can think of in this world is the rainbow.

Many things in the world can have new or old appearances, but not the rainbow.

The view of the rainbow can be obscured, but a rainbow never appears new or old.

There's no such thing as a worn looking rainbow.

There's a beginning when a rainbow is visible/formed, there's an end when a rainbow disappears.

But throughout its existence, a rainbow's appearance is the same and ageless.

Bear in mind, this is only an analogy to describe agelessness.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 07:31

1 Corinthians 15:42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable;

The term body in the Pauline epistles reffer often to the whole human being, body and soul. When he reffers only to body he says flesh.

But the concept of eternity is one that is ageless, otherwise, it is not eternal nor ageless.

The best analogy I can think of in this world is the rainbow.

This is true already in the life from now. We see children are seeing themselves mature, only incomplete in knowledge and we see the old people saying they feel young, so the soul has no age.

But you have to think you are young to feel good. If you several time repeat yourself you are young you "fix" yourself in the youth in your conscience.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>