Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chin VS Greece

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chin VS Greece
    Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 00:24

"what if they all gather in central asia, have some parties, drinking, sleeping, reproducing, and then the next day, they fight? "

That depends on who's more drunk

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 01:38

as in being more drunk meaning more brave?

���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 08:31

coolstorm, if you want to know more about Qin (Chin)'s military power, there is a good chance in hk. You may watch the epical telefilm named "An Army Reborn" on TVB at 11:00 every Wednesday. It is a very informative and interesting documentary program, which can systemetically let you know about Qin's military system, weaponry, battle tactic, logistic system and even their national spirit.  The first part was broadcasted last week.

Also it can be BT download the program at http://bt.acnow.net/ShowBT/4892.htm

But sorry, there is Chinese version only.

Edited by oodog
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 17:32
i'm physically not in hk however.
���DZj�~�� ��������
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 11:05

I would also like to state where they would battle.  Mongols had no peers when it came to an open field battle.  Large expanses with little coverage.  However, if you place them in heavly forested areas, or mountainous regions, they will probably fail. 

Look at the US army in Vietnam vs Iraq.  Vietnam, the terrain is varied with heavy vegetation.  Iraq is just a flat land mass.  That is why US rocked in Iraq (there are various other reasons too), and they got rocked in Vietnam.

Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 20:01

this again?! uh no

LOL, I know

Hhmmmm, this is a tough one

I gess I'll go with the Greeks military powerdid you ever heard of 300 Spartans that hold back I think 30,000 Persians or more, and killed thousands of themis gotten tell you something about Greek military

I think the Greeks would win , because in the history of Alexander, there were no sign of him stopping to conquer (thats if the men wanted more) and not to mention such experienced soldiers he had, experienced soldiers can make a big difference in warI mean, they almost faced everything out there

So Ill say Is that Alexander has a big advantage. And I think he has such a better chance of winningbut if they invaded Greece, I think the Greeks will definitely win on this

Edited by Praetorian
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 20:05

And almost forgot to mention, is that Alexander was using diverse units, not just Greek units, but also the units he conquered

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 20:15

have u ever heard of the battle of chi bi where liu bei and wu joint forced slaughter cao cao's northern army of 830,000 with 50,000 soldiers?

both sides had various types of military experts acompanying the campaign. ancient china was diverse enough to have anyone or everything they wanted in their military forces.

greece was also technologically less advanced. i would say their calvary units would get slaughtered by long-range crossbows and fire arrows.

���DZj�~�� ��������
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2005 at 23:55
"Greece was also technologically less advanced. i would say their calvary units would get slaughtered by long-range crossbows and fire arrows."

The battle of Chi Bi was mainly a descive naval battle, and it occured durin the time when ancient Greece was already part of Roman empire.

If you wanted to compare ancient Greece and China, you should choose the time when both enjoyed unpresendent growth and progress. The Spring and Autumn and Warring States ear, were raghtly corresponding to the Golden Age of Athens under Pericles and later Peloponnesian War.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 03:25

sure, there were more than 1000 battles during the spring and autumn warring state periods where forces with much fewer people slaughtered forces with more soldiers.

i was just trying to give an example. the battle of chi bi was a famous one.

some examples:

5th century bc, a wu army of 100,000 soldiers under wu zhi shui defeated a chu army of 3,000,000. a wu army of 3,000 defeated a wei army of 35,000. etc... 

���DZj�~�� ��������
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 23:09

You see, Alexander conquered, God knows how many miles of land, in about 10 years or soand every battle that he had he was always outnumbered

Greece was also technologically less advanced.

How it is so, they were not the most advanced, but you should not underrate the Greeks so much. Just a little something that they invented, they invented the steam engine, they also invented the first vehicles things that move by itself, and theyre also pretty advanced of underwater explorationthere were the first ones to have underwater exploration.

I am not going into this argument about which civilization is more advanced. Because the Greeks had some stuff too the same goes with the Persians

If they had inferior in technology, my God..., they conquered a lot though in such a short timehhmmm I wonder

You see, the Greeks were advanced about human thought or inspiration, this can be related to the military.

Or other words they were the greatest visionaries, the greatest minds came from Greece (at this time at least)ideals that are still used today in the military or out side the military

Alexander believed this, there is a new way of conquering is not just conquering land, but the hearts of men

He said something like this, but dont remember exactly how it goes.

Edited by Praetorian

Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 11:23

I think this argument is unjust to compare because the technologies used between the two is not the same.  The Chin is technologically superior.  Superior because they existed 100 years or so after Alexander.  Unfair to compare was far as weapons and armor is concern. 

Yes, I read about Alexander's exploits.  I think those casualities numbers that credits Alexander's victories are hard to swallow.  Remember, history is written by the victorious, not the losers.  However yes, I have to say he is probably one of the greatest conqueror (with Genghis Khan with a slight edge).  But this argument is about who would win.  Not about which general is better.

I see this argument only on the basis of tactics.  Getting back to the argument, I just don't see that Phalanx being able to handle rough uneven terrain.  Mobility & speed is king.  Greek calvary is good, but compared to Asian counterparts, I have my doubts.  The tactics used by the Mongols, Huns, & even the Chin (because they had to fight the Huns) would be better (not superior) compared to the Greeks.  However, on the same token, the Greek infantry would be better (not superior) to the Chin.  Chin would win on Archer and Archery tactics.

As far as how the Greeks or Alexander conquerored half of the known world, I believe it had to do with Alexanders brillant & reckless tactics, the Persians incompentence and their inability to deal with the Phalanx.  When I think about it, (just my humble opinion) the Phalanx would be the most important part of the Greeks conquest.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 15:19

yes, it will be a good fight...

Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 19:58
"The tactics used by the Mongols, Huns, & even the Chin (because they had to fight the Huns) would be better (not superior) compared to the Greeks.  However, on the same token, the Greek infantry would be better (not superior) to the Chin.  Chin would win on Archer and Archery tactics."

I don't know. Chin is an oddball compared to the other Warring states. Its ranged military sucked compared to the warring states, but its infantry and calvary rocked.

Sun bin vs Alexander...hmmm don't know in a battle but just in a 1vs1 fight, then Alexander will win because Sun bin's missing a kneecap.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 21:28

How it is so, they were not the most advanced, but you should not underrate the Greeks so much. Just a little something that they invented, they invented the steam engine, they also invented the first vehicles?things that move by itself, and theyre also pretty advanced of underwater explorationthere were the first ones to have underwater exploration.

that's hard to say. cause zhuguoliang also invented some trucks that could move by themselves as well. the first rocket was also his invention.

chi existed from the beginning of eastern zhou as feudual till 221 bc when it got overthrown. it was close to 800 years.

���DZj�~�� ��������
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 21:39
I will have to read through the posts here but there was an Arab army who defeated a Chinese army around 750 AD.

Question I want to bring up!!

Early Shang dynasty- Did Indo European nomads bring the art of metallurgy, the wheel and the horse to the Chinese?
Historian and archaeologist Colin Renfrew theorized about this possibility!!

But, even if they had the Chinese made great improvements to these innovations, while the nomads stayed barbarians.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 21:41
Originally posted by eaglecap

I will have to read through the posts here but there was an Arab army who defeated a Chinese army around 750 AD.

That was during the Tang dynasty..hundreds of years after Qin.

Edited by Gubook Janggoon
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 21:48

and the battle was fought in central asia while there was rebellion in china proper.

it would've been impossible for them to defeat a tang force before an lushan rebellion even if it was fought very far away from china proper.

arab defeating chinese forces in central asia when china was in turmoil is like chinese defeating arab forces in china when arabic was in turmoil.

���DZj�~�� ��������
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 23:46
"Early Shang dynasty- Did Indo European nomads bring the art of metallurgy, the wheel and the horse to the Chinese?
Historian and archaeologist Colin Renfrew theorized about this possibility!!"

I thought those came in the xia...
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 16:26

Concerning the Battle of Talas, basically the Tang Army was outnumbered because a Tang ally switched sides.  If memory serves me right, I believe even if that ally remained loyal, the Tang Army will still be outnumbered.

Of course, it is not the main reason why they lost, but it is a important reason.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12