Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How does Mongolians feel about Han Chinese?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does Mongolians feel about Han Chinese?
    Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 06:39
Originally posted by SanjAltan

I'm not sure that Russia 'took' territory from China. It's more like Russia and China took territory from the Mongols.  The Russians took Tuva and Buryatia, the Chinese took Southern Mongolia. Neither great imperial power did the Mongols a particularly big favor, their only concern was their own personal interests. All imperialist government behave in more or less the same way, power politics is what typically determines the outcome of  questions of territory. We saw it then, and we see it today.  

Yes, but how the independent Mongolia was created? Without SU it would never come to existence. Also Tuvans although culturally very close to Mongols are not Mongols.
The fact is that Mongolia was a part of China and it was able to create an independent state only due to the Russian and later Soviet intervention.

Concerning Buriatia, yes Russian empire made it a part of Russia indeed.
Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 19:56
I'm not sure that the Mongols had stronger feelings of independence and that's what led to the independent country of Mongolia. The Tibetans and the Uyghurs certainly had then, and have today, very strong feelings about achieving independence. Go talk to some Tibetans and Uyghurs and you will hear it upfront and directly. I don't have the impression that their feelings were any less than that of the Mongols. In both cases, their desire to achieve an independent state was crushed through military force, the great PLA occupied both Tibet and Eastern Turkestan, and it's only through force that Chinese domination remains over these territories. If the military forces withdrew, my guess is that the Tibetans and Uyghurs would quickly reclaim their territory and make an effort to establish their own government.  The Mongols residing in Southern Mongolia, despite their Chinese occupation, have a very strong affinity and identification with their Mongol cuture and heritage. Certainly the policy of sinicization on every level is having a profound  effect on them but my guess is that they will retain their Mongol identity for a long time to come. Oppression makes people identify more strongly with their heritage.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 20:11
I agree that without the SU, the independent country of Mongolia would probably not exist today. For that we have to be grateful to the SU. No one can deny this fact. At the same time, the SU saw the creation of an independent Mongolia as in their interest also, and they benefited enormously from it. Through the independence of Mongolia, there is also hope for Tibet and Eastern Turkestan, and perhaps even Taiwan which is quite vulnerable now to takeover by the communist government on the mainland. At some point, that will probably happen since no one, including the US, will stand up to China today. They are clearly going to do that in view of their enormous military expansion programs. Once the Taiwan question is settled, who knows where Chinese hegemony will extend next.   
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 19:04
Originally posted by Kids

Hey, guys, I am thinking about making a documentary about minorities (after saw the Tibetan protest over Chinese "control of their land") in China and I want to know how Mongolians feel about Chinese or being part of Chinese (in Inner China)? I have met some young Mongolians and they seem to be very hostile about Han Chinese. But, I also met one Mongolian from China who claim that he is proud to be Mongolian Chinese. I know there are more Mongolians live in Inner Mongolia than Outer Mongolia and I like to know if there is any ethnic tension between Mongolians and Han people? Do Mongolians feel their culture is disappering in response to Han Chinese migration and their rapid modernization? Thanks

I have only met one Mongolian while I was in a program at Lakeside, Montana. She seemed a bit hostile to the Chinese presence in inner Mongolia. She was also thankful the Russia presence in outer Mongolia kept the Chinese from invading her country. She looked Chinese to me but she was clear about being Mongolian and not chinese. I did not see that she hated the Han Chinese but she was worried the Chinese government might try and seize her country like they did Tibet. I hope Russia and America would keep that from happening because I am sure most Mongolians do not want to be occupied by a foriegn government and prefer they own destiny culturally.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 08:11
Originally posted by eaglecap

I did not see that she hated the Han Chinese but she was worried the Chinese government might try and seize her country like they did Tibet. I hope Russia and America would keep that from happening because I am sure most Mongolians do not want to be occupied by a foriegn government and prefer they own destiny culturally.

Ummmm, all imperialist powers had their fair share of "invasions" of more vulnerable nations, whether economically or politically. It is an oversimplification to state that the USA and the Russians are the "good guys" and China is one of the "bad guys".

I'm no expert in international relations, but I doubt that nowadays China has the least desire for an armed invasion of any country when it is successfully "taking over" so many countries economically. In Africa, Latin America, and Central Asia, Chinese companies and making heavy investments.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 08:54
You need to look at the things on case by case basis. USA and Russia can very well be good guys for some countries under certain conditions while China play the bad guy role and vice-versa.
Σαυρομάτης
cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 20:42
Hi All
My wfe, Baadema is a Khorchin Mongol from Qifeng, she considers hersef Mongol first , then Chinese.
However, she and many inner mongolians, believe, that the PRC is a legacy of the great Mongol empire created by Chinggis/Ogodei/Khubilai.
She kept reminding me, that without the Mongols, there would be no Beijing, and no
PRC today.
r's
Clive/Badeema Ersknell
eventhorizon View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote eventhorizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2008 at 06:59
There are 3 regional bullies in Asia - China, Russia and India, all occupying land against the will of the people. The same could be said of USA, but its colonies and minority rights today are more benign in nature, except for the recent unfortunate occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, a result of Arab extremism and Zionist manipulation of US public opinion.

In order to counter the 3 bullies, the rest of the Asian countries could work towards some kind of Asian Union - big 3. Any big power would be granted the right to be included only when they improve minority rights condition. This could also be effective and right minded policy for the West to support this group, instead of continuing to support the bullies with market access and economic integration. Corporate profit unfortunately trumps all policy considerations, which are influenced by the bullies. Small states will never threaten Western interests, which the bullies eventually will.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2008 at 12:00
There is much truth in what you say, unfortunately. Let's hope that wiser and more compassionate minds will occupy the bully nations' leadership positions and we'll see a future in which international cooperation will improve. Given recent events in Georgia, it doesn't appear that that will happen soon. One wonders why only minds such as this rise to the top of the pyramid. 
Knight
Knight

Quote eventhorizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2008 at 13:02
Wisdom comes from climbing through the ladders of economic evolution of 3 centuries, as it happened with US and Western Europe. The rest of the world is still unevolved in comparison. The integration in EU is happening from self initiative and compromise, although the Eastern Europeans in it will continue to create problems, Georgia is just one example. Israel is another example a regional bully due to a population of largely East Europeans and Middle Eastern people. Russia, China and India were united/integrated, not by themselves, but by foreign invaders. The population suffered from military domination for some centuries but received these big united entities as gift from former rulers. Big united entities automatically mean power and power without wisdom results in bullying. Leaders are representatives of populations and reflects their hopes, dreams and feelings, so it is the population that is the problem, not leaders. So there is not much hope from leadership of bullies, till the population goes through their evolutionary climb. It is up to the rest of the world to go for fast track integration such as South American Union, African Union and Asian Union - big 3 and the West to stop supporting the bullies and support these other entities instead, as effective counter balance. Much of terrorism is an ill advised and desperate violence under another set of unevolved and clueless leadership as a futile resistance to the bullies. The real threat to world peace are the bullies that are using state power to trample on minority rights and manipulating public opinion of powerful states like the US to achieve their short-sighted goals.

Edited by eventhorizon - 21-Aug-2008 at 14:02
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2008 at 19:14
Originally posted by eventhorizon

Wisdom comes from climbing through the ladders of economic evolution of 3 centuries, as it happened with US and Western Europe. The rest of the world is still unevolved in comparison. The integration in EU is happening from self initiative and compromise, although the Eastern Europeans in it will continue to create problems, Georgia is just one example. Israel is another example a regional bully due to a population of largely East Europeans and Middle Eastern people. Russia, China and India were united/integrated, not by themselves, but by foreign invaders. The population suffered from military domination for some centuries but received these big united entities as gift from former rulers. Big united entities automatically mean power and power without wisdom results in bullying. Leaders are representatives of populations and reflects their hopes, dreams and feelings, so it is the population that is the problem, not leaders. So there is not much hope from leadership of bullies, till the population goes through their evolutionary climb. It is up to the rest of the world to go for fast track integration such as South American Union, African Union and Asian Union - big 3 and the West to stop supporting the bullies and support these other entities instead, as effective counter balance. Much of terrorism is an ill advised and desperate violence under another set of unevolved and clueless leadership as a futile resistance to the bullies. The real threat to world peace are the bullies that are using state power to trample on minority rights and manipulating public opinion of powerful states like the US to achieve their short-sighted goals.

Indeed and writing posts without wisdom is resulting in nonsense like in your case.

First of all, try post your strange statements in another more appropriate thread and second try to save your mind from the false ideas about the illusions regarding the superiority the West due to whatever development...

Your favorite West has been and remains the biggest bully in the world history for the last five hundred years.

Σαυρομάτης
Knight
Knight

Quote eventhorizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 01:55
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Indeed and writing posts without wisdom is resulting in nonsense like in your case.

First of all, try post your strange statements in another more appropriate thread and second try to save your mind from the false ideas about the illusions regarding the superiority the West due to whatever development...

Your favorite West has been and remains the biggest bully in the world history for the last five hundred years.

You are right that this is not the appropriate thread, but the problem of Inner Mongolia is a special case of a more general problem and this is why it came up. And I am not Mongolian, so my opinions do not count in this thread. I will post my ideas to a more appropriate thread to see how people feel about their being strange and nonsense, as you seem to think.

Regardless of what you think, there is nothing strange and nonsensical about how people are suffering in Chechnya, Kashmir, Tibet, Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang and how the world is going on about its merry ways getting into constructive engagement with the bullies, whereas there should be zero tolerance for trampling of minority rights. No rights and no trade and engagement, the world must unite on this stance.

Ogedei Khan's death in 1242 saved Western Europe from Sabotai's army in Budapest and Kamikaze (divine winds) typhoons saved Japan from Mongol invasion. It is not conincidence that these are the same people that are top dawg today. For the last 500 years, as you mentioned, West Europeans have spread all over the globe, wreaked havoc on indigenous communities and peoples, engaged in wholesale extermination of people and taken over their land from Americas to Oceania and Siberia. Where there were too many people, they weakened the economies and social structures so that these people are still struggling to find their footing on solid ground. I will not even go into chemical and radio active pollution. Despite all this or may be because of this at the expense of the rest of the world, the West has achieved the highest Human Development Index and as a result has become the most humane part of global population (Iraq/Afghanistan and GWOT shows that even the West still has ways to go) and has the potential to lead the rest of the world in a better direction. The world has paid a terrible price to bring the West where it is today and it is time for the West to clean up the mess they have created. The bullies are victims of the past and were leaders before 500 years, but their evolution got disrupted and they are now not in a position to lead, instead they are engaged in willful repression of entire people's. The West and the rest of the world should not be aiding and abetting the crimes committed by the bullies.

You can suggest an appropriate thread and move these posts there or I will start a thread myself.

Edited by eventhorizon - 22-Aug-2008 at 02:15
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 03:41

You are right that this is not the appropriate thread, but the problem of Inner Mongolia is a special case of a more general problem and this is why it came up. And I am not Mongolian, so my opinions do not count in this thread. I will post my ideas to a more appropriate thread to see how people feel about their being strange and nonsense, as you seem to think.

No, you opinion is counting of course, but what I mean is that we should try to focuse on the specific topic of this thread.

Regardless of what you think, there is nothing strange and nonsensical about how people are suffering in Chechnya, Kashmir, Tibet, Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang and how the world is going on about its merry ways getting into constructive engagement with the bullies, whereas there should be zero tolerance for trampling of minority rights. No rights and no trade and engagement, the world must unite on this stance.

Well. I'm convinced that even if the West is involving in some policies in this areas it's not "because of countering the bullies" as you say or improve minority rights, but only in order to get more economic or whatever advantages "to bully" as you say the others.

Ogedei Khan's death in 1242 saved Western Europe from Sabotai's army in Budapest and Kamikaze (divine winds) typhoons saved Japan from Mongol invasion. It is not conincidence that these are the same people that are top dawg today. For the last 500 years, as you mentioned, West Europeans have spread all over the globe, wreaked havoc on indigenous communities and peoples, engaged in wholesale extermination of people and taken over their land from Americas to Oceania and Siberia. Where there were too many people, they weakened the economies and social structures so that these people are still struggling to find their footing on solid ground. I will not even go into chemical and radio active pollution. Despite all this or may be because of this at the expense of the rest of the world, the West has achieved the highest Human Development Index and as a result has become the most humane part of global population (Iraq/Afghanistan and GWOT shows that even the West still has ways to go) and has the potential to lead the rest of the world in a better direction. The world has paid a terrible price to bring the West where it is today and it is time for the West to clean up the mess they have created. The bullies are victims of the past and were leaders before 500 years, but their evolution got disrupted and they are now not in a position to lead, instead they are engaged in willful repression of entire people's. The West and the rest of the world should not be aiding and abetting the crimes committed by the bullies.

The West is still commiting its crimes and killing much more people than so called "bullies" in your terminology together.

How many people have been already killed in Iraq for example and for what sake?  Unfortunately, the idea of "countering the bullies" won't work it will only make the bullies even more angry and aggressive. If the West really wants to be that "progressive" it should spread its influence in a soft way i.e. education, agitation, and what is the most important economic help and aid. This and only this can change the attitude and regimese in those countries. By creating unions and blocks or whaterver, agaisnt the countries you call "the bullies" you'll only iritate, isolate them make them even more aggressive and in the end it will made this world even more unsafe.

Exactly because of the last 500 years of the Western expansion and exploitation "the bully leaders" won't have much problem convincing their subjects that the efforts of "countering the bullies" are just the facades for new aggressions and conquests. I hope you understand what I mean. Smile

If you want to continue this discussion, please opean a new thread in this subsection, called "Current Affairs," thanks.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 22-Aug-2008 at 03:45
Σαυρομάτης
Danny.T View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Danny.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 07:20
To my knowledge a referendum was made in Mongolia under ROC framework resulting Outer Mongolia prefered independence and Inner Mongolia stayed with China.

Present day Mongolians yes do hate Han Chinese from mainland , but  has better feelings towards Taiwanese, peoples from Hong Kong and Macau and Singaporeans. yes they are very sensitive to Chinese presence in Mongolia.  They have the fear that PRC would invade their country but PRC has already recognised their independence and their seat in U.N.

Whereas the Inner Mongolians live in harmony with Han Chinese they don't have the same kind of hate to the Hans.  Inner Mongolians possibly feel strange and bad when their brothers in Mongolia has this kind of hate.   Some Mongolians even don't  consider inner Mongolians are true Mongols but faked ones.

Actually many Chinese celebrities are of Mongolian descent.
"A little knowledge is a very dangerous thing."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 00:38
What does it mean that the Mongols of China live in harmony with the Han? Considering that Mongol lands have been occupied by a foreign force for 60+ years, Mongol culture and way of life have been destroyed by government policies aimed at eliminating any sense of Mongol identity, that vast floods of Han immigrants have moved onto Mongol lands and turned once lush pasture lands into barren deserts,  natural resources have been exploited with little benefit to the original inhabitants of the land, that human rights have been trampled on and the great Chinese constitution guaranteeing autonomy has never been honored, I suppose some totally deaf dumb and blind person could say that this is the Mongols living in harmony with the Han. Or is this really the Han perspective, totally unaware of the Mongol perspective. Let's hope that one day the Chinese government will acknowledge the devastation they have wreaked on the grasslands of Southern Mongolia and the enviromental disasters impending not only in China because of it, but all over the world.   Not to mention the devastation they are imposing on the people themselves. If this is n't bullyism, what is?  I don't agree that this is not the place to point these things out. It needs to be pointed out at every forum where subject arises.
Knight
Knight

Quote eventhorizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 02:07
SanjAltan, thanks for clarifying the situation in Inner Mongolia and for supporting the discussion of bullyism.

Here I should clarify some things, China and India are bullies par excellence, Russia is also one, considering Chechnya and US unfortunately is still the biggest bully, as Sarmat12 has pointed out, considering Iraq/Afghanistan and its support for Israel.

Sarmat12, my question to you is this, if Europe can form European Union, African countries can form African Union and South Americans can form South American Union, then why is it a problem for Asian countries to form an Asian Union and exclude the bullies, if they are not wanted in this Union. If the bullies feel threatened, then it must be that this idea has some merit, otherwise they would not feel threatened.

It is my personal opinion that the only way bullies can be countered is with uniting the victims, power has to be matched with counter balancing power. It is the only way we can even ask the US to bud out of Asian business if they are up to no good. I know its a pipe dream, but all big fires start with a spark. United we stand, divided we fall.
Danny.T View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Danny.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 20:19
People do have different perspectives on many things. It is not strange that some people would disagree with my opinions and perceptions on views about Mongolians atitude towards Hans. Do protect my right to expresss my opinions.

Me myself do not dispise Mongolians Inner or Outer, Northern or Southern. Han Chinese I know inside China or outside China also do not dispise Mongolians. I would not say CCP govt. is a perfect one and is repressive in nature to  all ethnics including the majority Hans  We all general people and I think nearly all ethnics want democracy and political reform in China. Local government cadres because of corruption and selfishness might do harm to local Mongolians this may be possible but I don't know. So if you have facts about CCP
oppression on Inner Mongolians show me then I would be happy (not happy actually) to agree with you but not just accusations. By the way, Mongolian identity wouldn't be forgotten beacuase every Chinese citizen has thier ethinic origin shown in his/her ID card.

Dust storm is not  only derived from China /Inner Mongolia but also from Mongolia and Gobi desert  becasue of excessive over-grazing of herds and overall warming effect of planet earth. PRC is not sitting there doing nothing , funds and means are put forward to keep check this problem. The methods used  are effective or not  I don't know.
"A little knowledge is a very dangerous thing."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 02:32
Yes you have every right to your opinions, but the Mongols of China can decide for themselves what kind of 'harmony' they're experiencing. Right now, given the policies of the Chinese government, and if the Mongols had the ability to openly and honestly express their views, they would probably tell you that they don't feel much 'harmony'. This is not the place to supply documentation for this, but let me point you to 2 websites where you can see some information related to this topic : www.smhric.org and www.free-hada-now.org as another.  As far government policies, I might mention the current 'sheng tai yi min' government initiatives of ecological migration as a particularly egregious example of  how Mongols are being uprooted and their way of life eliminated.

The charge that overgrazing is the cause of the dust storms is just plain wrong. The Mongols lived for centuries with the very same Gobi desert you refer to in perfect natural harmony as nomads and there was never an issue with the massive dust storms until the ecological balance was thrown off by the unwise government policy of opening up the grasslands to farming. It is the non-sustainable farming practices of millions of Han immigrants who were encouraged to emigrate from their home provinces over the past 60+ years that has destroyed vast tracts of the grasslands. They are the ones who the government needs to target first. But the current methods being used to stem the dust storms are disproportionately targeting Mongol herdsmen and their families, with hundreds of thousands being forced to change their nomadic way of life with little compensation for their property losses not to mention the mental and social suffering that has ensued. Will this and other government policies aimed at ameliorating the dust storms and ecological damage work? This is the very same government that caused the problems in the first place, so how much faith can we have that their policies will work now?

Finally, to argue that Mongol identity can be preserved merely by stamping somebody's ethnic affiliation on it is just plain silly. It's just a piece of paper. Mongol identity means much more than a word on a card. Language, culture, religion, customs, way of life, traditions, writing, literature. Do you get that?  Can you tell me that Mongol schools, with instructional materials in the Mongol language and writing are being preserved? Can you tell me that Mongols can freely use their language and mail a letter in their own language and it will be delivered? Can you tell me that the Chinese government is living up to the promise of the Chinese constitution ensuring autonomy to the minorities? Can you tell me that Mongol culture is valued by the Han as a real contribution to the diversity of the nation and should be respected as such?  Unfortunately, very little of this is happening because the Chinese government is obsessed with splittism.  This obsession has caused the Chinese government to see every independent expression of non-Han cultural values as an act of  sedition, leading to enormous overreactions, with  persecutions and jailings of  anyone who espouses their own ethnic cultural values. This is especially true in Southern Mongolia, witness Mr. Hada who has been imprisoned now for 12+ years merely because he worked for the preservation of Mongol culture, but it's equally true in Eastern Turkestan and Tibet.  One could go on and on and no reasonable objective person can disagree with eventhorizon's statement that '...China is a bully par excellence.' 

It's hard work to get to the truth, especially in China, where Truth is tightly controlled and manipulated by a very insecure government. And we cannot expect someone else to do the work for us. Each of us needs to make an effort and commit to finding out the truth if we want to enter into a dialogue where we might potentially make the world a better place.  It cannot be done by clinging to the propaganda force fed to us by undemocratic and insecure governments. 

Let me hasten to add that some democratic governments play this game too, but there, we can appeal to other mechanisms to at least hold this in check and there are opportunities to challenge these things. In China, there is none.
cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 19:23

A big eye opener :

1. China today is Mongolia's biggest trading partner and investor.
2. >500,000 Mongols in RepMong are busy learning putonghua or mandarin. There are 3 Confucius language and culture institutes in RM.
3. 200-300,000 Outer Mongols moved into Inner Mongolia , Heilongjiang and Jilin permanently.
4. There are many mongolian-chinese websites operated from Inner Mongolia posting
music, MTVs , scenery, cultural topics, etc..
5. RM and Inner mongolia now celebrating Mongolian new year in mongolian every year
since 2003, televised in CCTV .
6. Chinggis Khaan miniseries from Inner Mongolia recieved great approval in RM.
7. Cult of Chinggis now officially a religion with place of worship in Ordos City.

r's
Clive

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 20:51
This is a good discussion yet more in tune with Intellectual discussions. Hope you all conitnue with vigor. Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>