Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Montenegrin Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Montenegrin Question
    Posted: 05-Oct-2008 at 05:47
Originally posted by Yugoslav

The first mention of the Black Vlachs themselves, under the term "Nigri Latini", is from the Chronicle of the Priest of Doclea, which is still being located as written between the 12th and 15th centuries, and remains a mistery regarding who wrote it precisely, and where at all.

I searched and found that that chronicle is from 1160-1170:

Nevertheless, some differentiation must have existed among the Vlachs, which is borne out by the comment of Presbyter Diocleatis (Regnum Slavorum) around 1160-1170.
http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/chk/chk05.pdf

Also, you didn't explained the origin of Montenegro name.

And if Crna Gore come from Serbian, it should be a mountain called like that somewhere in Montenegro, or a locality of which the name of the region came.

Edited by Menumorut - 05-Oct-2008 at 07:12

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2008 at 10:10
Originally posted by Menumorut

Originally posted by Yugoslav

The first mention of the Black Vlachs themselves, under the term "Nigri Latini", is from the Chronicle of the Priest of Doclea, which is still being located as written between the 12th and 15th centuries, and remains a mistery regarding who wrote it precisely, and where at all.

I searched and found that that chronicle is from 1160-1170:

Nevertheless, some differentiation must have existed among the Vlachs, which is borne out by the comment of Presbyter Diocleatis (Regnum Slavorum) around 1160-1170.
http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/chk/chk05.pdf

Also, you didn't explained the origin of Montenegro name.

And if Crna Gore come from Serbian, it should be a mountain called like that somewhere in Montenegro, or a locality of which the name of the region came.

The argument that it was written between 1160 and 1170 is dismissed today in 2008, it can't be said for sure, but it most certainly wasn't written in the 12th century, but later.

I did, it's a Slavic toponym.

Yes, it is a locality (about 10% of today's Montenegro). I am sorry if there haven't been words about this yet, there will (it's called "Old Montenegro"). And there is a "Mala Crna Gora" location, but in the Zabljak municipality, far to the north of the old regions.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2008 at 10:25

I meant in what language is Montenegro?

As for those localities, how old they are? Have one them gived the name of the region or vice versa?

What can you say about the Vlach toponimy in Montengro?

The names they have left behind call to mind the life of shepherds: the mountains Durmitor, Visator (so called when first mentioned, the later form being Visitor) and -AÚipitor; Murgule, an elevated plain below Durmitor; Palator, a ford across the Drina, where wool was washed.

The tribes have sometimes characteristic Romance names: Alunoviƒi, Visuloviƒi, Bukuroviƒi, Piperi, a family from the Dalmatian isles is called Mrljani (i.e., m-Aîrlani), a village in Montenegro has the name Ma…uga (cf. Rumanian m|ciuc|), and a place in Visoki (Bosnia) Ma…ugani.

http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/dunay/dunay02.htm

Edited by Menumorut - 05-Oct-2008 at 10:42

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2008 at 20:18
Originally posted by Menumorut

I meant in what language is Montenegro?

As for those localities, how old they are? Have one them gived the name of the region or vice versa?

What can you say about the Vlach toponimy in Montengro?

The names they have left behind call to mind the life of shepherds: the mountains Durmitor, Visator (so called when first mentioned, the later form being Visitor) and -AÚipitor; Murgule, an elevated plain below Durmitor; Palator, a ford across the Drina, where wool was washed.

The tribes have sometimes characteristic Romance names: Alunoviƒi, Visuloviƒi, Bukuroviƒi, Piperi, a family from the Dalmatian isles is called Mrljani (i.e., m-Aîrlani), a village in Montenegro has the name Ma…uga (cf. Rumanian m|ciuc|), and a place in Visoki (Bosnia) Ma…ugani.

http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/dunay/dunay02.htm

The Roman Catholic, or better said Venetian "Monte Negro" is from the (old) Italian. It spread into the West and thus into English across Venice (although, as with many occasions, merged into one word).

Well you see, that is Montenegro itself, and the only reason the archaic "Old Montenegro" term was coined was to denote the differences, so that none would confuse it with the whole country. From the 18th to the 20th century under the Petrovic-Njegos dynasty Montenegro increased territorial size tenfold, so the "Old Montenegro" is that territorial region, the oldest mention going as old as its native term is for that parchment of land (the Lower Ze(n)ta).

What can I say about the Vlach toponyms on the territory of present-day Montenegro? Well, there's the mountain Durmitor. By tiny part it is the Old Vlach region near Old Serbia, then there is also the mountain Vizitor, mount Stavor. Then there is the Vlach toponyms Brgul near Tivat.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12