Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barhae, Bohai

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Online Status: Offline
  Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barhae, Bohai
    Posted: 04-May-2006 at 19:13
Originally posted by flyingzone

Originally posted by Dayanhan

Further, applying the same logic of the Chinese scholars, assuming that they are correct, then the histories of many, so-called "Chinese" dynasties cannot be Chinese because they were constructed by ethnicities totally unrelated to Chinese.

For example, all the 16 states (of 5 Barbarians and 16 States) were Non-Chinese and North Wei, Qi, Zhou, Sui, Tang, three Dynsties of 5 Dynsty period, Jin, Liao, Yuan were all Non-Chinese including many others. Laterday partial assimilation of these peoples cannot be the justification either because their legitimate successors are still existing outside of China.  

Absolutely. So all these examples that you give actually further validate my point about "constructed history" and highlight how antiquated the idea of "these people are Korean" or "these people are Chinese" is. When it comes to the study of ANCIENT people and cultures, there shouldn't be any debate on their PRESENT nationality. It is totally irrelevant. In trying to "prove" that an ancient people is "Korean" or "Chinese," one is actually playing into the hands of politicians and nationalists who care less about the pursuit of knowledge than pushing for their selfish agenda. I think good and responsible historians can do so much better than becoming a pawn of those people.

So my point is, if one wants to learn about Kogruyo or Bohai or any other ancient culture or political entity, try to get rid of one's ethnocentric spectacles and try to do so without adhering to any nationalist (Korean or Chinese) agenda. The world is so much bigger than the one mapped by modern cartograhers ...

Agreed
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Dayanhan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Dayanhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 19:59

Absolutely. So all these examples that you give actually further validate my point about "constructed history" and highlight how antiquated the idea of "these people are Korean" or "these people are Chinese" is. When it comes to the study of ANCIENT people and cultures, there shouldn't be any debate on their PRESENT nationality. It is totally irrelevant.

You are right in partly agreeing with me that Chinese history is "RE-""constructed history" (fictionally Reconstructed history), based on the current territory of China (ROC and/or PRC) and to fit that frame.

However, my point is clear that Koguryoans and Barhaeans were ancient Koreans and that modern Koreans descended from them, physically and as a matter of self-consciousness, though some of the ancient people also became the ancestors of some (so-called Chinese) minorities (such as Tungus-Manchus).  This is not a question of political frame, as modernly defined.

Their THEN-nationality (ethnicity), whether physically or as a matter of self-consciousness, were also ancient "Koreans" in the sense that 1) they perceived themselves as Koguryoans and Barhaeans, not as "Chinese" or "Chinese minorities" and that 2) they became the physical ancestors of modern Koreans. Modern Korean self-consciousness as the descendants of these people come from this fact. Therefore, their THEN-ETHNICITY and self-consciousness and the modern sense of "self-descendancy" or perception about their ancestry is DIRECTLY relevant.

Knowing this, Chinese focus on the negation of Koguryoans' and Barhaeans'  "ethnically" being Koreans. They say they were the ancestors of Non-Chinese "Chinese" minorities.

Koreans focus on these peoples' 1) being Koreans physically and 2)having become their ancestors, though not all of them (those who were taken to Mainland).

[QUOTE=Dayanhan]

In trying to "prove" that an ancient people is "Korean" or "Chinese," one is actually playing into the hands of politicians and nationalists who care less about the pursuit of knowledge than pushing for their selfish agenda. I think good and responsible historians can do so much better than becoming a pawn of those people.

My argument is exactly that we should not fall into that trap you mentioned.

In other words, the "politically-inspired creation of fictional ethnicities", such as the so-called "Gaogouli Zu (Gao Gou Li Ethnicity) who are separate and different from the Koreans", as the Chinese (scholar Sun Jin Ji) cannot be accepted because there were no such fictional people (ethnicity), but only the ancestors of Koreans and some Tungus-Manchus, but not "Chinese". 

[QUOTE=flyingzone][QUOTE=Dayanhan]

So my point is, if one wants to learn about Kogruyo or Bohai or any other ancient culture or political entity, try to get rid of one's ethnocentric spectacles and try to do so without adhering to any nationalist (Korean or Chinese) agenda. The world is so much bigger than the one mapped by modern cartograhers ...

I totally disagree with your argument on the necessity to disregrd the "ethnocentric" view.

In fact, the whole issue is whether Koguryoans and Barhaeans were what ethnic people, Chinese minorities (say Tungus-Manchu), Koreans or Chinese (Han-Chinese). In other words, whether they were predominantly the ancestors of modern Koreans or Chinese or Chinese minorities (say Tungus-Manchu)?

The history is built by a certain group of live people, not by political entity itself (say modern "China" or "Chinese map"). Who were the live people in Koguryo and Barhae, the Chinese or the Koreans? That's the only and only issue.

Edited by Dayanhan
Veritas lux mea est!
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 21:02

The history is built by a certain group of live people, not by political entity itself (say modern "China" or "Chinese map"). Who were the live people in Koguryo and Barhae, the Chinese or the Koreans? That's the only and only issue.

Dayanhan, I don't want to talk down to you or something, but your postivistic way of conceptualizing "history" is quite dated. Your fixation on putting modern identity labels onto ancient people demonstrates your inability to perceive history as a product of social construction. But Dayanhan, you have to understand that most historians themselves are also part of the so-called "reality" that they are trying to construct. So the only "good" way to "do" history is to deconstruct, not to construct identity, the thing that you're trying so hard to do.

So to address the so-called "only issue" that you raised - whether those ancient people living in Koguryo and Barhae were Koreans or Chinese, the answer is very simple - NEITHER - because neither the Korean nor the Chinese nationality in their modern forms existed at that time!!!!!!! Please bear in mind that the idea of "nationhood" is a very recent one. If you forcibly impose your modern idea of nationhood onto ancient history, you are (1) being theoretically discordant; (2) falling into the dangerous trap of historical essentialism.  

And your argument that the "only issue" involved in the study of the ancient kingdoms of Koguryo and Barhae is to identify whether those people were Chinese or Korean both saddens and alarms me. There are so many more interesting things that historians and scholars can look at rather than engaging in this futile exercise of ethnic-labelling. Look at the beauty and legacy of these cultures just as they are without politicizing them. Investigate how those people lived their daily lives, how did they relate to one another, what were their beliefs, etc. If those people themselves (I assume) were not concerned about or preoccupied with questions such as: "Hey, are we Korean or are we Chinese?" "Which country's passport should we get?"      , why should WE be concerned about that??? Isn't it the job of a good historian to tell stories of how ancient people lived instead of telling them who they "should" be from a modern perspective?   

Edited by flyingzone
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 12:43

Dayanhan, I don't want to talk down to you or something, but your postivistic way of conceptualizing "history" is quite dated. Your fixation on putting modern identity labels onto ancient people demonstrates your inability to perceive history as a product of social construction. But Dayanhan, you have to understand that most historians themselves are also part of the so-called "reality" that they are trying to construct. So the only "good" way to "do" history is to deconstruct, not to construct identity, the thing that you're trying so hard to do.

So to address the so-called "only issue" that you raised - whether those ancient people living in Koguryo and Barhae were Koreans or Chinese, the answer is very simple - NEITHER - because neither the Korean nor the Chinese nationality in their modern forms existed at that time!!!!!!! Please bear in mind that the idea of "nationhood" is a very recent one. If you forcibly impose your modern idea of nationhood onto ancient history, you are (1) being theoretically discordant; (2) falling into the dangerous trap of historical essentialism.  

And your argument that the "only issue" involved in the study of the ancient kingdoms of Koguryo and Barhae is to identify whether those people were Chinese or Korean both saddens and alarms me. There are so many more interesting things that historians and scholars can look at rather than engaging in this futile exercise of ethnic-labelling. Look at the beauty and legacy of these cultures just as they are without politicizing them. Investigate how those people lived their daily lives, how did they relate to one another, what were their beliefs, etc. If those people themselves (I assume) were not concerned about or preoccupied with questions such as: "Hey, are we Korean or are we Chinese?" "Which country's passport should we get?"      , why should WE be concerned about that??? Isn't it the job of a good historian to tell stories of how ancient people lived instead of telling them who they "should" be from a modern perspective?   

Flyingzone,

Agreed with every point you made.  Excellent post.  Simply top notch!

Jiangwei

Dayanhan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Dayanhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 13:18

If what you say (that ..NEITHER Koreans nor Chinese) should be ever correct, why do the Chinese historians say Koguryo and Barhae histories are not "Korean" and instead those of "Chinese or Chinese minorities"?

Further, applying your logic, then, there would be no "Chinese" history either because the so-called "Chinese" history was not created by "modern" Chinese, but ancient people who never claimed to be "Chinese". Instead, they merely claimed themselves to be the "people of Song State (Song Guo Ren)", the "subjects of Qing State (Qing Guo Ren) and so on.  

Why your logic or that of Chinese historians' unilateral logic should not apply to the "Chinese" history and the Chinese? Truth seeking process requires a consistent logic, not double standard.

There is nothing "sad" about the ethnic labeling as long as it is proper and correct, except the futile attempt to place a "FALSE" labeling, to justify false cultural or territorial claims.

If those Koguryans and Barhaeans are neither Koreans nor Chinese, as you say, are they the ancestors of a totally unrelated people, say Martians or even wild animals? They did not leave any descendants?

Can I say Song State history is not "Chinese", but "Korean" and that they are NEITHER Chinese nor Koreans, at the same time?

Edited by Dayanhan
Veritas lux mea est!
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 14:43

If those Koguryans and Barhaeans are neither Koreans nor Chinese, as you say, are they the ancestors of a totally unrelated people, say Martians or even wild animals? They did not leave any descendants?

Dayanhan, of course every modern nation is the descendant of some ancient peoples (please note the plural form here). This is the same with modern day Koreans, Vietnamese, Bulgarians, Sudanese, Chinese, etc. (So the threads that I made, such as "The Mysterious Origins of the Hakka People" do NOT contradict the arguments I am making here at all.) However, this is entirely different from saying that, say, a particular ancient people MUST BE "Korean" since part of the the modern-day Korean culture, language, customs can be traced to that people. The legacies left by the ancient kingdoms of Bohai and Kogruyo could have cultural, historical, demographic, and linguistic impact on, say, other Eastern Siberian cultures, the Manchurian culture and, you know what, even modern day "Chinese" (notably Northeastern Chinese) culture. The legacies left by especially those ancient peoples who inhabit on lands that defy modern cartographic demarcation shouldn't be monopolized by any modern nation-state, let alone subject to the nationalistic manipulation of any country's political leaders. Instead those legacies should be shared, admired, and revered by all especially because in the cases of Bohai and Kogruyo, no territorial disputes are involved (yet ....), unlike the cases of Dokdo, Diaoyutai, the Paracel and Spratly Archipelagoes, the Kuril Islands, etc.

So my arguments are not just directed to Korean "historians". They are equally applicable to Chinese, Russian or whatever "historians". As a matter of fact, if that makes you feel better Dayanhan, personally I DO think there are more traceable elements of "Korean-ness" than "Chinese-ness" (however these latter two cultures/ethnicities are defined in modern terms) in the ancient Kingdoms of Bohai and Kogruyo, which I think is in fact the general consensus here. But that's different from saying that they were "Korean" kingdoms, not even "proto-Korean kingdoms", because, again, the nation-state of "Korean" didn't exist at that time. So even if someone could come up with a magical forumula of breaking down the "ethnic" components of, say, the Kingdom of Bohai into 60% Korean, 20% Manchurian, 10% Chinese, 5% Russian, and 5% unidentified, what does that really mean????? It means absolutely NOTHING, and that shouldn't even be the job of any sensible historian!!!!!

The insidious danger behind monopolizing the ethnic identity of ancient peoples is that this reinforces the needless "us-them" mentality that is the underlying cause behind a lot of clashes between modern nation-states, and in some extreme cases, ethnic cleansing and genocide. When I was reading about the quarrels between Korean and Chinese scholars regarding the ethnic identity of the Kingdoms of Bohai and Kogruyo, I was constantly reminded of how some Serbian nationalist politicians evoked "history" to justify their aggression (and subsequent genodical attempts) toward their neighbours. And we all witnessed the tragic consequences.

Edited by flyingzone
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 14:55

If what you say (that ..NEITHER Koreans nor Chinese) should be ever correct, why do the Chinese historians say Koguryo and Barhae histories are not "Korean" and instead those of "Chinese or Chinese minorities"?

Further, applying your logic, then, there would be no "Chinese" history either because the so-called "Chinese" history was not created by "modern" Chinese, but ancient people who never claimed to be "Chinese". Instead, they merely claimed themselves to be the "people of Song State (Song Guo Ren)", the "subjects of Qing State (Qing Guo Ren) and so on.  

Why your logic or that of Chinese historians' unilateral logic should not apply to the "Chinese" history and the Chinese? Truth seeking process requires a consistent logic, not double standard.

There is nothing "sad" about the ethnic labeling as long as it is proper and correct, except the futile attempt to place a "FALSE" labeling, to justify false cultural or territorial claims.

Can I say Song State history is not "Chinese", but "Korean" and that they are NEITHER Chinese nor Koreans, at the same time?

You are "attacking"  the wrong person.

Flyingzone is a French-Canadian, with rather consistent schema of thoughts thats neither necessarily biased towards Korean or Chinese.

"Political motivation? What the hell are you talking about??? For as far as I can see, you ARE the one who has this inexplicable (and probably racist-motivated) Eurocentric view of the world that forbids anyone to challenge. If you bother to expand your intellectual curiosity a little more and read other threads in other sections, you should have noticed that I am the one consistently denouncing "centrism" of any sort, above all sinocentrism."

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9638& ; ;PN=1&TPN=3

if you could just provide us with historical source and archaeological evidence, and how these people's live was like and whats their belief e tc, just like what Flyingzone has suggested. then may be you would discovered that its actually a better way to present and argue what you believe without unnecessary waste of enegy on wrong targets.

but you ethno-centric and obvious nationalism in this form would just automatically evoke flyingzone to respond with passion.

understand the person better before disagree or agree with him.

BTW: in my personal opinion, steer away from Chinese political purpose, Korguryo was a Korean state,and Barhae could be considered Korean as well.

One of the reason Tang named Bohai after one of Tang's own prefecture also called Bohai, is to dilute the reality that Bohai were at least contain some factions of former Korguryo people. Tang's application of the term Bohai was politically motivated, while it associates Bohai with Chinese to create an impresson that Bohai is a Chinese state, at the same time dilute their relation to former korguryo state, which gave much headache to the Chinese dynasties, they wouldnt want to resurgent of it.

This is correlated with Shilla's state letters to the Tang, which at occasion Shilla called Bohai descendants of the former Korguryo state, as to remind to China's frustration with Korguryo, Shilla may get appreciation from the Tang court by doing so. But at other occasion Bohai was also discribed by Shilla as a nation of Tangustic "barbarian".

May be this attitude reflect at least at occasions, that Shilla didnt feel Bohai would necessarily be a Korean state(if Shilla also represent Korean identity). While its probably even less to argue for a Chinese state based on ethnic identity. But Shilla at the time was powerless to reclaim bohai if they believe its korean and should be united with Shilla, but as Tang regarded Bohai to be Tang's vassal state regardless of its ethnic composition, any attempt by Shilla to do so would be contested by Tang, as it saw itself as the overlord. But Tang's lost of the territory(Bohai claims) due to internal revolts and later rising of Khitan and Jurchen states etc, not only overshadow the Chinese but those remain in the region which could be identified as Korean as well. And the region was continuously ruled by these nomadic groups, and because all these states were leaning towards Chinese nationhood rather than Korean one, the last of its kind the Manchu's Qing dynasty made it ultimately, a Chinese territory till present.

Edited by The Charioteer
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 15:49

Dayanhan, of course every modern nation is the descendant of some ancient peoples (please note the plural form here). This is the same with modern day Koreans, Vietnamese, Bulgarians, Sudanese, Chinese, etc. However, this is entirely different from saying that, say, a particular ancient people MUST BE "Korean" since part of the the modern-day Korean culture, language, customs can be traced to that people. The legacy left by the ancient kingdoms of Bohai and Kogruyo could have an impact on, say, other Eastern Siberian cultures, the Manchurian culture and, you know what, even Chinese culture. The legacies left by especially those ancient peoples who inhabit on lands that defy modern cartographic demarcation shouldn't be monopolized by any modern nation-state, let alone subject to political/nationalistic manipulation. Instead those legacies should be shared, admired, and revered by all.

So my arguments are not just directed to Korean "historians". They are equally applicable to Chinese, Russian or whatever "historians". 

glad you edited your post, now its what consistent with you, only you have stated it clearly this time so that dayanhan or others wont misunderstand you. and that you are by no way biased towards Korean.

wefone90 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote wefone90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 16:08
Well, IMHO nobodys care about whether they were korean or not, whatever it is they had no influence quantity on the historical past.

Edited by wefone90
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 21:06
Originally posted by wefone90

Well, IMHO nobodys care about whether they were korean or not, whatever it is they had no influence quantity on the historical past.

Goguryeo and Barhae were serious players in North East Asia politics.  To deny any influence would be an understatment.
wefone90 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote wefone90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 21:10
Goguryeo and Barhae were serious players in North East Asia politics.To deny any influence would be an understatment.

Actually, the real serious players were the Khitans, Jurchens and the Manchus in this areas.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 22:32
Goguryeo was a very serious player, serious enough to threathen the Northern Wei/Sui/Tang domainance in Northeast Asia.  Barhae/Bohai, however, was less militant and more friendly with the Tang.  It was actually Bohai's affluence and good relations with the Tang that led to its demise at the hands of Yelu Abaoji and the upstart Khitans.
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

wefone90 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote wefone90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 23:10
Goguryeo wasn't very much a threat to the Northern Wei/Sui/Tang as compared to the Juan Juan and Gokturks, and the reasons for those dynasties above to attack on Goguryeo was more like meddle into their internal affairs. The Khitans or the Yuwen were more likely to be a serious player during this era.

Edited by wefone90
Dayanhan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Dayanhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 14:58

Originally posted by wefone90

Goguryeo wasn't very much a threat to the Northern Wei/Sui/Tang as compared to the Juan Juan and Gokturks, and the reasons for those dynasties above to attack on Goguryeo was more like meddle into their internal affairs. The Khitans or the Yuwen were more likely to be a serious player during this era.

Appreciate your opinion. But, the issue is whether they were Chinese or Korean, not whether they were influential. Further, I reserve some objection to the Sui and Tang's being truly Chinese. I view them of Mongolic-Sianbi nature.

Veritas lux mea est!
wefone90 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote wefone90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 18:20
Appreciate your opinion. But, the issue is whether they were Chinese or Korean, not whether they were influential. Further, I reserve some objection to the Sui and Tang's being truly Chinese. I view them of Mongolic-Sianbi nature.

Since you appreciated my opinion, so you should know that is just my personal opinion, and how I reserve some objection to them. WRT to Sui and Tang whether you view them of Mongolic-Sianbi nature is your problem not mine, please tell someone else that who cares about it.

Edited by wefone90
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 02:14
The forum is here for individuals to discuss.  I'd like to ask everyone to take a deep breath, go get a cookie and some milk, and go back to debating in a polite manner. 

Thank you

-GJ
intem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote intem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 01:11
To Dayanhan:

"many Chinese family names (Gao, Zhang, Dou, Liang, Liu) come from the names of the descendants of Koguryo people who were forcibly taken to Tang state (Say, Gao Xian Zhi, the great general who conquered even part of Pamir heights and Afghanistan). "

How are these family name zhang, dou, liang, liu come from the names of those descendants of koguryo people, i dont understand??????
Then how is the founder of Han dynasty Liu bung's surename Liu related to those descendants of koguryo, dont you see the time gap, Han dynasty (206B.C - 220A.D) while Tang dynasty (618-907A.D). I mean how could those surenames stated by you was noticebly came from Kogurian people.
Im not trying to argue with these little bits and pieces, its just that you dont seem to make your assertions or statements under what we known as the source, how could those Chinese surnames from Han dynasty be proposed to be the surenames from those kogurian descendants.
One last thing please dont argue with forum member even moderators if you dont have adequate source.
J.T.I.J
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 04:59
    Do Koreans know what does "yy" mean?
wefone90 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote wefone90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 05:57
Originally posted by caibianmyr

Do Koreans know what does "yy" mean?
Actually I don't think they do.

Edited by wefone90 - 19-May-2006 at 06:00
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 07:51
Please do not generalize. The view of this Dayanhan person (and his various alter egos all of whom have now been banned) definitely does NOT represent that of most Koreans. Just as there are ultranationalist Chinese and Koreans, there are ultranationalists from all the countries in the world. The only goal of these sick people is to distort history to serve their skewed and dangerous political and ideological agenda.

Let's move on.    

Edited by flyingzone - 23-May-2006 at 15:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>