Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where the Republic of Turkeys flag came from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where the Republic of Turkeys flag came from?
    Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 10:19

Phallanx wrote:

Istan: It is from the soot

Istan is not a word, but a suffix, meaning land. "From the soot" is "isten" comming from the root "is".

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 12:27

bul : It finds it

That is Turkish. I have no doubt you know Turkish.

But the "bul" in the name is from Persian origin as I told before. It means "bridge".

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 13:10
Originally posted by kotumeyil

Sorry  Oguzoglu but this theory isn't reliable because istan is a suffix, not prefix. The word Istanbul seems to have Greek origins but it's not a problem because it's the name of our beloved city and we love it very much together with its history...

Yep, ive heard the same like you sayed, also for Ankara that has greek roots...

OUT OF LIMIT
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 13:12
kotumeyil

You obviously posted while I was in the middle of my search so I missed your post. But as I said these are the translations I found online. (links provided)
Since you obviously speak the lang. I'm ok with your explanation of it.

Oguzoglu

Again, I never claimed to know Turkish, which is why I gave the links to the translators. As for your 'bul' meaning 'bridge', a little search informed me of the correct word which is "pul" as seen in "Pulisangin" that means "bridge on the Sanggan"

Based on the envelope I posted before and by using a bit of liguistic facts,we find that you obviously place the letter 'I' in place-names (not sure if it happens in other words also) when you find two constonants.
We've discussed about Smyrna before, we find you turning the s-m into a z and by adding an i it gives Izmir.

If we look at the envelope, we see the exact same process. Before the s-t in Stamboul, you added the i again and it gave Istanbul.

I also found that
it is also a Turkish linguistic custom of change the n before a p or b to m.  'eis thn Poli'.

Maybe
kotumeyil or HulaguHan could help us out.

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 18:14

Yep, ive heard the same like you sayed, also for Ankara that has greek roots... 

That is totally wrong. Most of the city names in Anatolia arent from Greek, but from ancient Anatolian civilizations whose descendents are today mixed in the Turkish society, but not Greek.

Ankara comes from the word Angora, the capitol of Hittites, a Caucasian originated Anatolian people. Angora meant "the city of mohair goats". Like Chankiri, a neighbor city, which had a similar name.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 19:37
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul (Istanbul)
Istanbul (Istanbul)

Lyrics by Jimmy Stewart, music by Nat Simon.

Istanbul, not Constantinople!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 20:27
I think that Komnenos has put a suiting musical "finale" in this linguistic debate and now we can move on and find out about the flad
CARRY NOTHING
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 14:43
nice kommensos
OUT OF LIMIT
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 15:32
Nice song.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 18:35

Originally posted by Midas

I read that Turkish flag had taken from Byzantines; and they took it from older Anatolian Civilizations... What is the real story of that flag?

It might have some link with Islam, too.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 02:59
Islamic flags:

http://www.idicweb.net/id294.htm
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 12:59
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Midas

I read that Turkish flag had taken from Byzantines; and they took it from older Anatolian Civilizations... What is the real story of that flag?

It might have some link with Islam, too.

some say that the Turkish flags moon and star presents something in Islam, but how it could be presenting Islam if this flag taken from a ancient Anatolian civilation??

OUT OF LIMIT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12