Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asian Siege Weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asian Siege Weapons
    Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 03:25

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

I got a quick question.

Did either the Shingicheon Hwacha or the Houjianche shoot exploading projectiles?

I oviously don't know much about Houjianche, but the Shinkijeon Hwacha did have exploding projectiles. there were also projectiles that divide in the air like MIRV

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 06:20
It depends on what you mean by 'exploding'.
They fired rockets.  Some rockets had powder packed heads, but these are 'flash/bang' inciendiaries not exploding shell (too heavy).
rgds.

Tom..
Conan the destroyer View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conan the destroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 16:58

I'll post some info on Chinese and Korean cannons.

Great general cannon

Calibre: 120mm

Range: 800 paces

Weight: 330lbs

The great general cannon was a large, banded iron cannon. It was mounted on a four wheeled cart for transportation, and produced in very large numbers. The Koreans were impressed by the performance of these weapons during the Imjin war, and began to import them from China to supplement their own artillery

Conan the destroyer View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conan the destroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 17:09

"Heaven" cannon

Range: 1300 paces for arrows, cannonballs would have had less range.

The "heaven" cannon was the largest Korean artillery piece. Ammunition was generally in the form of a large wooden arrow with an iron head and stabilising fins, which had greater range than ball ammunition, especially when keeping in mind that this cannon was fired at a high angle.

Liang Jieming View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Liang Jieming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 22:31
Originally posted by I/eye

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

I got a quick question.

Did either the Shingicheon Hwacha or the Houjianche shoot exploading projectiles?

I oviously don't know much about Houjianche, but the Shinkijeon Hwacha did have exploding projectiles. there were also projectiles that divide in the air like MIRV

I'm interested to know more.  Do you have more info or pictures on these MIRV-type and explosve shinkijon?
http://authors.history-forum.com/liang_jieming/chinesesiegewarfare
History should be fun... and hands-on

History should be fun... and hands-on
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12