Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish words in slavic languages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish words in slavic languages
    Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 17:04
Originally posted by ill_teknique

Bosnian burek is the best still. lol.

A freind of mine's mum used to make it, i need to nag him for the recipe.
Arrrgh!!"
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 17:13
Originally posted by Cywr

Originally posted by ill_teknique

Bosnian burek is the best still. lol.

A freind of mine's mum used to make it, i need to nag him for the recipe.

recipe shmecime, you need a orgininal bosnian made burek to really enjoy it. lol.

and cevapi too.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 17:32
He is Bosnian
And i still want that recipe.
Arrrgh!!"
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 14:13

U know what does Loshad means in Russian? It is Horse

U know what does Losh at means Turkmenia????

It is Lazy, and unuseful Horse

I am serious 

Also Kolbasa, And Shish Kabab, and Berkut

oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 20:21

maybe when the russians wer buying horse off the turkmens, the turks ripped them off by giving them all there lazy and unusefull horses so they wont be able to defend from a mongol-turk invasion

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 08:26
lol Ottoman_Turk nice joke tbh.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 09:13
Originally posted by DayI

Originally posted by Kassander

We (modern Macedonian language) have a word > muabet > which I believe is borrowed from Turkish.  For us, it means to socialize.

muabet is maybe muhabbet in Turkish means talking or chit chat?

or mebbet?

Mohabat: I think it is Arabic in origin.

Most of these words were probably introduced by the Ottomans rather than being of Turkish origin.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 09:41
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

coban= shepherd
corba=tzorba=soup
pamuk=cotton etc.

Persian origins:

Chupan (Pahlavi Shupan) = Shup(Sheep) + Pan(Keeper) = Shepherd
Shurba (Pahlavi Ashupa) = Ashu(Food, Eat) + Apa(Water) = Soup
Pambak (Pahlavi Pashmak) = Pashm(Wool) + -ak(Small) = Cotton

about Shurba, i think its more arabic than persian since it came from the word Sharab which means Drink. and Shurub means a drink consist of not pure water.

by the way the proper Arabic term for soup is Hasa'a.

Zagros yes Muhabat sounds Arabic too, from Hub which means love. and Mahaba which means the feeling of love.

Edited by azimuth
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 10:14
I always thought Sharab was Persian considering the "ab" is an Iranic word for water.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 10:25
actually you're right.
Aryan Khadem View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 21:07

No offence to any Turks, but as an Iranian I am sick of people thinking things are Turkish when they are originally Iranian. First of all Mast, which is Yoguart, was introduced to the west by Turks, How ever it is an Iranian food, originally from horse milk and goat milk. Turkey was used as a gate way for things to enter europe. Infact Turks arrived in modern day Turkey 1300 years ago, and it was already populated with people, who spoke latin and a language that branched off the Iranian Language, just as latin, Anceint Greek, sanskirt etc are all branches of Iranian language, also called Zend Language. So please be correct if you think it is Turkish the chances of it being Iranian is a 80-90% chance.

Life is beautiful but I am darker then Life.

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 19:31
sure thing.I didn't know that I can speak persian I'm eating yogurt now, later I'll make some ayran(yogurt drink) which comes from aryans right? 
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 00:46

Where do you thinkWhere do you think Goats and Horse where domesticated ohh wait turks did it first right???? Turkish has Persian words just as Persian has Turkish... but alot of words in Turkish is originally from Farsi which is a Iranic or Iranian language belonging to the Iranian Family group of languages.

Even Turksih guys here admit it and yet most of you insist it is Turkish??? Pan Turkishism??? Difference is Iranians can actually admit taking words from Arabic in which makes up 30% or more of Farsi where as alot of Turks here cannot admit that their language consist of alot of Arabic and Farsi which takes 50% of your language.... Actually Farsi had more Arabic words till the late 1800's in which they were replaced with Old Persian words etc

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 00:54
Originally posted by erci

Balkan is a Turkish word

Alp is Turkish as well
Really?? what do you base this on??? next thing Khyber is Turkish too, I think maybe Balkan might be Turkish but Alps??? I dunno about that word.

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 01:12

He was saying Alp not Alps. The trial to make them related it another story i'm not interested.

I think you know about Alp Er Tunga or who in persian literature was refered to as Afrasiab.

Alp or Ghalip is often used in many Turkic languages. It means great, victorious etc.

Either make a history or become a history.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 01:16
Originally posted by Aryan Khadem

Infact Turks arrived in modern day Turkey 1300 years ago, and it was already populated with people, who spoke latin and a language that branched off the Iranian Language, just as latin, Anceint Greek, sanskirt etc are all branches of Iranian language, also called Zend Language.

No they aren't. They are Indo-european languages. Actually Indo-iranic is a branch of Indo-european languages. It should be Iranic rather than Iranian.

Either make a history or become a history.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 04:48
lol actually your wrong there look it up, they are branches of an Iranian Language, even farsi is a branch off this language refered to sometimes as Zend language, it cannot be indo-european as it is found also in India, central asia etc so it is termed european but branchs of what is called iranian or Aryan language.....

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 04:48

The horse was first domesticated for milk and meat. He moved up in status to a pack animal, and was later promoted to a riding animal. It was the introduction of horse trading that brought about the development of the various horse breeds.

The first record of riding came from Persia in the third millennium B.C. By 1580 B.C. this trend had spread to Egypt, and 250 years later it was found in Greece. In fact, the first horse training book, the Kikkuli Text, was written in 1360 B.C.

The founder of modern horsemanship was a Greek by the name of Xenophon (430 B.C.). He was the son of a man of the equestrian class in Athens. As a youth, he served in the Peloponnesian Wars under Cyrus, son of Darius II. When the Greeks were defeated, he elected to lead the retreat from the Tigris River to the Black Sea. He then retired to a country estate near Corinth, Greece. He had learned much from his associations with Armenian and Persian horsemen during his career in the Greek army.

From the Persians he learned "leg up" mounting -- a groundsman would help the rider mount the horse by holding the rider's leg and boosting him up. From the Armenians, he learned to tie pieces of cloth onto his horses' feet to protect them from ice and rocks. After his retirement, Xenophon wrote the definitive book on horsemanship, which is still used, in modern form, by trainers today.

In the 1400's, body armor was invented in Persia. Its use quickly spread to the north and west, where the Europeans seized on the idea and developed the suits of armor used during the Middle Ages. Since soldiers were then too heavy to move effectively on their own, horses were needed to carry this extra poundage into battle, and the European charger was developed. The Andalusian is the modern descendant.

Meanwhile in everyday Europe, the farmer and his wife needed a horse that could carry them to and from the local market at a comfortable pace. Since the roads were little more than pounded strips of dirt, they needed a riding horse. As the roads improved, harness breeds with a "hard trot" were developed.

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 23:15

Oooooooooooooooooook

Do Not send me any warning, because, it is just answer!!!

Ok, Who were Nomadic???

Turkish or Persian???

Who had 1 000 000 horse that moved in summer to Tibet, In winter To Ceyhun river???

U, I do not know why u think that Yogurt is persian but i can easily give its definition in turkish???

Yogurt=yogur=yogrulmaq=We still use it=My mother can yogur a milk and make it Yogurt.

Is that all u want?

Why when We say that Yogurt is turkish, some devil comes to you and says that, no u should say that that is Persian word.

I really and really did not got your point.

Would it be okay, if I will call Persians as Turkish???U probably will laugh me, The same think with Yogurt

Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 23:16
Well, there were some questions too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>