Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to read a genetic map

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to read a genetic map
    Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:22

Originally posted by Cywr

Or alternativly, areas where a whole load of different people have passed through over the mellenia.
In contrast, the more of a geographic dead end an area is, the fewer branches of the human family tree are represented there.
Makes sense really, geographical determinism and all that.

So Eastern China n Central S America r geographical dead ends relatively speaking.

Jai Badri Vishal
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:26
Yup, as is Australia, N.W. Europe, and such. 
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 13:51
Originally posted by gcle2003

Boy is this thread difficult to read, physically. I guess because it accomodates itself to the width of the largest image.

I know and I'm sorry about it but I couldn't imagine a way to fix it. Most images can't be scaled without becoming unreadable and the big tree of Arizona University particularly.

I don't claim to know much about the specific subject, but at one time I did do a lot of work on numerical taxonomy, which I assume is the sort of technique used to generate these trees.

I'm aware therefore that an awful lot of subject decision-making goes into the choice of distance measures - i.e. both spatial geometries for inter-individual measures and inter-group measuring rules like nearest-neighbour, furthest-neighbour, centre-of-gravity and so on - and rules for defining optimal groupings.

So are there any links to something indicating how the trees were derived from the data?

I'll try to find something of the like (I found something: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/genalg/genalg.html)  but I must reckon that I am almost as confused about all the mess of names and strings as you may be. I'm so far taking the word of scholars on this and trying to understand.

Most sources are very technical (or very limited) and I haven't yet found any comprehensive site on this matter. Maybe the best (but limited) for commoners like us is http://racialreality.shorturl.com/.

If you really want to learn, you'll probably have to go to a good library and buy the best you can find in the issue (all very recent for sure) - or, of course, take a universitary course on Genetics.

Then come back and teach us something.

I'm also a little chary of assuming that because one can possibly identify a root class, that that indicates a single individual - the pseudo-Adam or the pseudo-Eve.

They don't assume just like that that the pseudo-Adam or pseudo-Eve were just one person nor that, even if that would have been the case, that other peoples' legacy isn't present in us via male-female-male or female-male-female lineages. It just means that most probably all human identifiable genetic lineages come from one relatively small and homogeneous source (tribe, nation, whatever). That's why we talk of "pseudo".

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:06
Originally posted by Cywr

Yup, as is Australia, N.W. Europe, and such. 

Actually SW Europe is more of a dead end. Everything points out to the fact that the strait of Gibraltar has acted as an effective barrier and input from North Africa has been minimal. Input from Continental Europe has also been rather small and there the connection is rather a common "South French" or "proto-Basque" origin for most of Western European population.

Another think that must be take into account is random drift, specially when the population has been very small in some periods (something we can imagine for almost anywhere): let's say some people had 5 Y-chr lineages 30,000 years ago but, accidentally, 3 of them happen to be cut by whole reproducing generations of females. Now we would only see 2 lineages but much more were present initially and all them have given their diploid (and X-chr) genetic apportation to the population anyhow. Y-chr and MtDNA lineages can be tricky.

Finally, random migration patterns must be taken in account too. Two diferent lineages may have happened to go to place A (maybe they were best friends but had diferent genetic backgrounds) and only one of them to place B.

This is particularly shocking when we look at Australia, New Guinea and SE Asia. In comprehensive non-haploid genetic studies (i.e. Cavalli-Sforza) they all fall in the same major branch (though the Australian and New Guinean branches are very very long and distinct), yet when we look at Y-chromosome lineages a completely diferent pattern emerges.

That's why I say that we must be cautious with the latter.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:23
Some interesting articles I've found:
Hope they are of your interest.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 10:13
So, who are the ubermensch?
Vae victis!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 10:15
Depends, whats your criteria for Uberness?
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 12:17
Originally posted by Exarchus

Toulousaines.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 12:34

Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Exarchus

Toulousaines.

No. The Kriptonians. A red cape and blue spandex is needed, and only a Kriptonian would have them.

What do these maps say about the Portuguese?

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 14:43
Originally posted by Degredado

What do these maps say about the Portuguese?

The greatest info is in the Y-chromosome lineage (dad-son only, first map and also some of the latter trees, which try to explain things in depth and clear out confussion) and it is very simmilar to that of Spain, maybe a little more Mediterranean, but just a little.

In general Iberia fits fully in Western Europe, with some more Mediterranean blood, specially in the south. The Western European majority (Hg1+Hg22 ~ R1a, green and light green) seems to be of Paleolithic origin.

Hg2 (blue) is confuse and could belong to Central European or Balcanic lineages that came also in the Paleolithic (I) or to Mediterranean ones (G, F).

The rest (brown and black slices: Hg9 = J and Hg21 ~ E) is clearly Mediterranean and could have come in the following episodes:
  • Neolithic difussion (most likely the greatest apportation): this can have two origins:
    • Greece/Adriatic (Cardium Pottery)
    • North Africa (Andalusian Neolithic) ?
  • Phoenician domain (small)
  • Internal migrations in the Roman Empire (small)
  • Muslim domain (can't be too large but it's dificult to say, some Berber blood surely came in this period).
In the first map, there's no diferent data for southern or SE Spain, which must have some stronger Mediterranean apportation but there is diferent data for north and south Portugal and southern Portugal clearly has more Mediterranean lineages than the north (that's no surprise), specially those that could be linked to North Africa (Hg21).

Yet, if we stop in Iberian prehistory, we see that Portuguese Neolithic is very influenced by Andalusian one, which may have its origins in North Africa (this is obscure though), so such an small extra piece of North African blood in southern portugal (and probably also in Andalusia) is logical.

In brief, Iberia as whole is mostly Western European with some Mediterranean stuff that is clearly smaller in other parts of Western Europe (France, Britain, Belgium, Ireland). Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands are also close but more influenced by Central European Hg2 and other stuff (some Mediterranenans in the Netherlands, a lot of Eastern European Hg3 lineages in Germany). Italy also falls in the Western European area with a much stronger mixure with Mediterranean lineages.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 15:28
Some updates.

One thing is becoming clear regarding the intial map: Hg2 is no valid haplogroup, as it includes at least two real groups that are present in Europe: I (that is considered originally European has been associated to Gravetian expansion and also to Vikings, though I find this very unlikely) and G, which belongs to the group of "Mediterranean" markers, along with E (Hg21 and others) and J (Hg9), most likely original from Near East and/or North Africa.

Also I wanted to post these MtDNA graphics, that I found in http://www.roperld.com/mtDNA.htm#haplogroups:

Notice that the fancy names of the "grandmas" are just creations based in the scientifical letter. Hence all starting with L are L1, L2, etc. L0 is the mythocodrial pseudo-Eve, an extint lineage.

The corresponding map is too large, so I will just post the link: http://www.roperld.com/graphics/MigrationMap.jpg

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 15:51
Another good map on haploid migrations:

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 16:08
Thank's Maju.  Very usefull thread
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 17:10
It's sometimes confusing. But I guess it's normal, it's a very young science.

I found some very good maps on World distribution (by macro-regions) of MtDNA and Y chromosome haplogroups:

Take a look because I think they are very interesting, though too large to post directly.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 00:27

Here is an intersting site with info on this stuff, very interesting.

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12