Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japans View of the Past

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japans View of the Past
    Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 20:51
I am just pointing out that Japan is just about the last country who should be complaining about anything. They tried to annihilate the US naval defense in one bold move and were soundly defeated in the aftermath...

It wasn't a pillow fight...
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 21:15
You show no respect for Japanese victims nor for Japanese generals. We seem to agree that the war was going to happen anyhow: it was unavoidable and both Nordamericans and Japanese (at least their elites) knew it ver well. I find somehow admirable that the Japanese decided to take the risk of hitting first, what in fact was their only chance against the Nordamerican distant giant.

Japanese may have caused many shameful massacres in their expansion wars but none among Nordamericans. I find vane that you cry about a few ships sunk and then ignore the millions of civilians affected by the Nordamericans bombs. That's called double standards.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 21:57
Originally posted by Maju

You show no respect for Japanese victims

Not true... My friend is half Japenese half of his family is in Japan...

The Japenese were victims of their own gov'ts VAIN attempts to cripple a stronger country.
However the attack on Pearl Harbor was A Bold military move and a successful military campaign but they paid the price for it in the end...

You and I will never agree on this and I am more than fine with that so lets move on...

Edited by dirtnap
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 22:11
I wouldnt worry about not agreeing with Maju. He generally buys into anything the left throws at him and holds onto it like there is no tomorrow.

Both him and Vamun Tianshu ride in the same boat and its called naivety.

Nordamericans, Maju? Nice touch.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 22:58
Well, generally I side with Maju because I am also a leftie, but it seems that we conflict here.........................
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 02:40
He subscribes to a different version, one that is very anti-american.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 09:03
Am I anti-American (sic)? Well, I thik I'm rather anti-bullies. No matter where do I look to in history I can't see the USA as a victim but I can see it as the agressor in many occasions, and at least I don't see US history with rosy glasses as most Nordamericans do. But I have nothing agains US people, some of whom I've enjoyed as friends.

On the name, I have already come through it in other topics: American is inapropiate (and somehow ofensive) when used to refere to USA citizens, because there are many hundred of millions of other Americans (Brazilian, Mexicans, Argentinans, Colombians, Canadians, etc.). I've used on occasion the terms Gringo (that some consider offensive), Angloamerican (confuse), Unitedstatian (a literal translation from Spanish estadounidense, the proper name for nationality, according to the Royal Academy of Language) and finally I've opted for the more common Nordamerican (also a translation of the common Spanish term norteamericano, less precise maybe but more satisfactory than the others).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 09:50

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

Many countries suffered under the hand of imperial Japan, but surely, you can't look at that man and not feel any pangs of sympathy?

No one deserves to have a nuclear weapon dropped on them. 

NO ONE.

Especially not innocent civillians. 

Sometimes I think that we all need to take a step back and stop looking at people as "Japanese", "Chinese", or "Korean" and remeber that we're all just people.

Well put.

Jiangwei

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 11:06

I saw a documentary on the Rise of nationalism in the world... and Japan was one of the countries they studied.

SOME Japanese (a very famous manga artist/drawer amongst others) used their history to spark up the passion of nationalism. The prime minister is openly right-right winged and the GVT is using all its connections to change the status of the Japanese military Agency to an official Army (allowing them to purchase heavier weapons).

I guess much of this is due to the rise of China (and anti-japanese demonstrations), the unstability of North Korea's nuclear testing some 500 km from the Japanese coasts.

Anyway, here is an interesting article on the subject for those who want to read more. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1644023,00.ht ml

Cheers.

Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 11:08

Originally posted by Maju

Am I anti-American (sic)? Well, I thik I'm rather anti-bullies. No matter where do I look to in history I can't see the USA as a victim but I can see it as the agressor in many occasions, and at least I don't see US history with rosy glasses as most Nordamericans do. But I have nothing agains US people, some of whom I've enjoyed as friends.

On the name, I have already come through it in other topics: American is inapropiate (and somehow ofensive) when used to refere to USA citizens, because there are many hundred of millions of other Americans (Brazilian, Mexicans, Argentinans, Colombians, Canadians, etc.). I've used on occasion the terms Gringo (that some consider offensive), Angloamerican (confuse), Unitedstatian (a literal translation from Spanish estadounidense, the proper name for nationality, according to the Royal Academy of Language) and finally I've opted for the more common Nordamerican (also a translation of the common Spanish term norteamericano, less precise maybe but more satisfactory than the others).

Maju,

Maybe this belongs on another thread, but I understand what you are saying.  American is a very broad term.  It should not mean just "United States" Americans.  It is sort of a slap in the face in reference to Latin America.  It is almost like saying that Latin Americans are a sub or offspring of Americans.  But then again, Americans is not a homogeneous race (however some would like it to be). 

Hey, I am Asian American, but I am just as American as somebody who can trace their roots back to the Mayflower.  I pay taxes (a lot), so I am "American" as apple pie.

Getting back to Japan.  I have no problems with Japan paying respects to their war deads.  But to give the same "offical" respect to convicted war criminals, that is totally different.  Look, it is a war, innocent people die.  There is a certain level of barbarism that is associated to war, but a systematic killing of civilians is unacceptable.  I see no difference between what some of the Imperial Japanese Armies did in Korea, China, etc... vs the Nazi's in Europe.

The current Kozumi government has the right to do whatever it wants.  If you feel that it is a unjustice, do the civilized thing.  Don't protest, or throw rocks at your nearest Japanese embassy.  Please go to Japanese restaurants, because the food is excellent.  Not the restaurant owners fault that Kozumi has a different view on history.  Just don't buy Japanese products from those big Japanese companies (I think Honda's are great cars).  Hit them were it really hurts, in the wallet.

Jiangwei

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 11:58

Why should Japan confess? Isn't that imposing a Christian ideal upon a Buddhist country.

Absolution through confession of sins is a Christian concept. Japan believes in karma.

The suffering Japan endured in the post war years was punishment for their militarism and they are now concerntrating on building good karma in the present.

In christianisty once absolved the repentee is free to go out and sin again. With karma one must continue doing good in here and now.

A christian responce is to say sorry, go that's all better now and go out and repeat your crimes. A buddhist one is a prolonged period of doing good to recover karma.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
tubo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote tubo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 12:51
Bulgarian:

no need to apologize friend.

tubo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote tubo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 13:12
what Imperial Japan did the world wars was as barbarous as nazi scums of Europe.people of china and korea has perfect right to ask the japanese government (not people) to apologize for their wartime atrocities.i just wanted to point out  the fact that some posters of chinese origin has absolutely no qualm about the present brutal occupation of tibet and yet whine hyprocritically  about what japan did fifty years ago.
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 13:23

Originally posted by tubo

what Imperial Japan did the world wars was as barbarous as nazi scums of Europe.people of china and korea has perfect right to ask the japanese government (not people) to apologize for their wartime atrocities.i just wanted to point out  the fact that some posters of chinese origin has absolutely no qualm about the present brutal occupation of tibet and yet whine hyprocritically  about what japan did fifty years ago.

Again, maybe you should start a new tread about Tibet.

My feeling is that Tibet parallels the West Bank situation.  See the mass media complaining about the Isreali's "occupation" of the West Bank.  Double standard if you asked me.

However the Tibet situation does not even come close to the Japanese colonization of Asia.  Do we need to go into the details?  I invite anyone to parallel the Tibetian situation with the Rape of Nanjing, Korean Comfort Women, Biological experiments in "Manchuria", etc...  these acts parallel the Nazi's and in some situations go beyond.

I believe that Tibet belongs in China.  I also belive that Tibetians should have the same rights as the Han Chinese. 

Do I support some of the Chinese tactics in Tibet.  No.  Do I support the Tibetian tactics in Tibet.  No.  There has to be a medium where two sides can agree for the benefit of all.

Jiangwei

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 15:05
Originally posted by Paul

Why should Japan confess? Isn't that imposing a Christian ideal upon a Buddhist country.

This is taking the whole "don't impose Western constructs on the East" a little too far.

Besides, according to Buddhist teaching of karma, good deeds accumulate good rewards.  Making restitution is certainly one way.

With all that said, let me say that the people of Japan suffered just as much as the Chinese and Koreans for WWII.

Edited by MengTzu

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 15:11
Originally posted by Koreana

There are not few in Japan who are very angry against anyone raising voice "sorry for our evil actions." They are the victims of the atomic bombs. Why should we make apologies? they cry. We are the victims.

But they are right, they ARE victims.  The evil actions belong to those who raged war -- the leaders of Japan -- not to the people.  It is an unfortunate nationalistic construct that equates Japan with its imperial government.  But Japan is more than its imperial government.  The Japanese people -- the majority of Japanese -- can't be said to be guilty for the war, and those who suffered and still suffer from the atomic bomb are truly victims.  Let's not let nationalism blind our sense of commiseration and our common sense -- It is obvious that we cannot equate a people with its government.

Edited by MengTzu

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
Koreana View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Koreana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 18:24

Thanks, sedamoun for the information of the article by the guardian.

Now, the rising nationalism of the rising sun speeds up the military build-up to be the world 2nd military power with the world 2nd economic power, menacing to the neighboring countries. True it is also of China, which has expanded greatly their military forces with their booming business.

An innocent bystander suffers a side blow in a fight.

As for South Korea, now it seems tilting toward China, Japan to the USA.

What could we do to check the coming blow-up of Asia?

Edited by Koreana
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 08:51
Originally posted by Koreana

Thanks, sedamoun for the information of the article by the guardian.

Now, the rising nationalism of the rising sun speeds up the military build-up to be the world 2nd military power with the world 2nd economic power, menacing to the neighboring countries. True it is also of China, which has expanded greatly their military forces with their booming business.

An innocent bystander suffers a side blow in a fight.

As for South Korea, now it seems tilting toward China, Japan to the USA.

What could we do to check the coming blow-up of Asia?

Koreana,

I would not worry too much.  The economies of China, Taiwan, S. Korea, & Japan are so dependent on each other that war would be foolish.  It is equivalent to chopping your own arm off.

There will be quite a sum of saber rattling.  However, if either one of the four changes the status quo, then it is difficult to predict.  Like if Taiwan declares independence, or N. Korea drops a nuclear weapon somewhere.

I think S. Korea is in a difficult situation.  Because of Kozumi's positions & the US's heavy handed approach to the N. Koreans, they are pushing the S. Koreans more toward the Chinese side.  Also, (correct me if I am wrong) I get the impression that Japan is a more "important" ally to the US than S. Korea.

I think my post should be in the current event forum.  Sorry about that.

Jiangwei

MoriheiUeshiba View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 22:08
Originally posted by dirtnap

Anyone in Japan from that era who feels like a victim need only remember Pearl Harbor...

That man (however disfigured and sadly so)is a citizen of a gov't that did a sneak attack to try and cripple a neutral country and weaken its entire naval defense to make conquering their people and country easier. In doing so they killed many innocent people and destroyed billions worth of equipment without regard.

They underestimated their enemy and overestimated their ability... That arrogance blinded their rationality and they made their citizens vulnerable to retaliation. No child of Japan who felt the impact of that bomb deserved it. Neither did those kids in Hawaii...

That man was a victim... He was a victim of imperialist Japan...

Pearl Harbor and the A bomb are completly different
japans attack on pearl harbor was an attack on the US navy and therefore the military power
the a bomb was the US thinking ok and attack on japans army would be too costly lets kill there familys to make them stop
a deliberate attack on civilians in an attempt to stop an army is just cowardly
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 22:33

Originally posted by MoriheiUeshiba

Pearl Harbor and the A bomb are completly different
japans attack on pearl harbor was an attack on the US navy and therefore the military power
the a bomb was the US thinking ok and attack on japans army would be too costly lets kill there familys to make them stop
a deliberate attack on civilians in an attempt to stop an army is just cowardly

I agree here with MoriheiUeshiba.

I have spoke with many American friends and they all express the difficulties that American faced fighting Japanese from an island to an Islan in the Pacific. Invading mainland Japan would have been a disaster to the US and the allies.

Instead, they adopted the principle of "the ends, justify the means". So let us nuke Japan and nuke each city till they surrender. I've read that USA was expecting Japan to resist further and a 3rd Nuclear bomb was on its way too except that Japan really surrendered.

Did I want Japan to win the war? Hell no, for all their atrocities in Korea, and China especially. But at the same time, I cannot buy the argument that bombing Nagasaki and Hiroshima was to destroy military factories and harbors. The US just wanted to end the war even if it meant nuking every major city in Japan.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>