Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 128>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 13:47
I've never heard of Schellenberg.. Is this a different name for some battle? Marlborough had four battles during his life and none of them was Schellenberg..

Still, Lettow-Vorbeck managed to distract men going to the European theatre otherwise. Actually, all men were illmotivated by the third year of the war. So... who's the best general there?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 13:58
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Schellenberg

Marlborough had more than 4 battles, but only 4 of them are really well known.

Edited by Temujin - 10-Aug-2007 at 14:05
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 15:07
Ah.. The Siege of Donauwrth... I've heard of it under that name. Marlborough is generally considered to have participated (as a general) in four battles and 23 sieges (I may be wrong about the sieges number). The previous 'battle' is usually enlisted as a siege. 
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 18:44
Originally posted by ataman

Styrbiorn, I agree that the description of battle of Trzciana in wiki needs a lot of improvements. But the fact is that Koniecpolski in this battle (in fact it was the series of battles) defeated Gustav Adolf's army, although Swedish army outnumbered Polish one about 2:1 (the Swedes had 6800 soldiers; the Poles 3700). It is also the fact that Swedish loses were a couple of times higher than Polish ones.

The fact is that the Swedish army was marching on Marienburg to reunite with the main Swedish army, retreating since the Polish-Imperial army outnumbered the units under Gustav's command. The Poles attacked the marching column, but was fought off and the Swedes continued their march to Marienburg and united with the rest of the army after which Koneicpolski did not risk battle.  At the end of the battle the hussars, having lost their main advantage that was the long lances, fought a totally non-decisive fight with the Swedish cavalry which ended with  the Swedish retreating when Polish reinforcements arrived. With the support of arriving Swedish infantry, the Poles called off their attacks and the Swedes continued their march and undisturbed. The Swedish losses were about 600 (old Swedish sources claim 200, and contemporary Polish 1,200; Swedish payrolls are more telling though) and the Polish about 200. A Polish victory definitely, but hardly a "crushing defeat" for the Swedes, neither tactically nor strategically, as can be seen through the treaty of Altmark. After the battle till the end of the war the Polish-Imperial army did nothing but loosing their whole gunpowder supply to a Swedish attack.

Moreover, I'd like to repeat that Stanisław Koniecpolski and Gustav Adolf met each other on the battlefield 3 times (at Tczew in 1627; at Grudziąc in 1628 and at Trzciana in 1629). Each time Swedish army outumbered Polish one.
The battle of Tczew 1627 finished in this way that the Swedes retreated.
The meeting of Grudziąc 1628 finished in this way, that the Swedes avoided fightings with the Poles.
The battle of Trzciana 1629 was a crusing defeat of Swedish army.

You can judge yourselves who was better.

Dirschau/Tczew. Interesting that you don't say why the Swedes retreated. I suppose you know already, so I'll make some summary for the others. It was a two-day battle. The first day consisted of a cavalry fight in which no side could claim victory. On the second day the Swedes lined up to deal battle, but Gustav Adolf was hit and wounded by a Polish sharp-shooter and brought back to the camp and the Swedes abort their attack.

Graudenz/G consisted of a number of manouvers where Gustav Adolf and Koniecpolski moved around each other, without initiating battle. The Poles had eventually taken position on an extremely defensible hill, flanked by rough terrain. Gustav Adolf tried several times to present battle, but Koniecpolski refused to leave his positions. Facing the option of a drawn out siege and to move on into Poland; Gustav Adolf choose the latter. You could equally well summarise the actions with that the Poles choose not the fight. The truth is; neither choose to fight.

Honigfelde/Trzciana was very far from "a crushing defeat", as already mentioned.

There never was a decisive battle between Gustav Adolf and Koniecpolski. Everything was skirmishes, meetings and the two of them manouvering around each other. They obviously had great respect of each other, and I personally consider them the two most talented commanders of their time, being on par on the tactical level.

I'm not going into a deeper discussion about this though. Seeing how you angle the history in Koniecpolski's favour by omitting or outrightly distorting information - and I don't see the point in the whole "who's better?" mudslinging. In any case, the war ended with Livonia and several major coastal cities in Swedish hands, after a war against a much richer and superior power. I think that is pretty good for Gustav's CV, no matter how much you've tried to discredit him here or in other threads.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 10-Aug-2007 at 19:27
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 23:26
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Styrbiorn, I agree that the description of battle of Trzciana in wiki needs a lot of improvements. But the fact is that Koniecpolski in this battle (in fact it was the series of battles) defeated Gustav Adolf's army, although Swedish army outnumbered Polish one about 2:1 (the Swedes had 6800 soldiers; the Poles 3700). It is also the fact that Swedish loses were a couple of times higher than Polish ones.

The fact is that the Swedish army was marching on Marienburg to reunite with the main Swedish army, retreating since the Polish-Imperial army outnumbered the units under Gustav's command.

Styrbiorn, how many soldiers in your opinion Polish-Imperial army had?

The Poles attacked the marching column, but was fought off

Where the Poles were fought off?
Polish-Imperial army fought with the Swedes in 3 places (Trzciana, Straszewo, Pulkowice). The Swedes were beaten in each these places. It is however true that most of the Swedish army was finally able to retreat to Sztum/Neudorf.

and the Swedes continued their march to Marienburg and united with the rest of the army after which Koneicpolski did not risk battle. 

Oh, well. It is difficult to fight any battle if your enemy runs away from you or closes himself in a fortress Wink

At the end of the battle the hussars, having lost their main advantage that was the long lances, fought a totally non-decisive fight with the Swedish cavalry which ended with  the Swedish retreating when Polish reinforcements arrived.

This 'totally non-decisive fight' was summarized by Gustav Adolf in his famous statement: 'I have never been in a hotter bath!'

With the support of arriving Swedish infantry, the Poles called off their attacks and the Swedes continued their march and undisturbed.

It's an interesting pun Smile
In fact, after the Swedish cavalry was beaten at Pulkowice, it retreated toward Sztum, where it was able to recover under the cover of Swedish infantry and artillery. The Poles, who had tied horses didn't chase them too much. Only some light cavalry (at most 700 horses) disturbed the Swedes until darkness.

The Swedish losses were about 600 (old Swedish sources claim 200, and contemporary Polish 1,200; Swedish payrolls are more telling though) 

According to Swedish expert of this war:

'Before Honigfelde the Swedish cavalry units present numbered some 5500 men, at the next preserved muster (11th July, Mankell N:o 119) those units numbered 5104 men however of those men 1052 are listed as "sick" but that category makes no distinction between wounded men and those suffering from disease. So the permanent loss was 396 men, 7.2% of the cavalry.'

So, 396 Swedish cavalrymen were killed in this battle.
Because in almost every battle the number of wounded soldiers was higher than the number of killed, we can assume that at least 400 Swedish cavalrymen were wounded. This number could be higher (though it couldn't be higher than 1052.)
These are casualties of cavalry. Apart from cavalry, Swedish infantry lost also some soldiers. According to the Polish primary source, about 500 Swedish soldiers were killed in the battle.
Apart from killed and wounded Swedish soldiers, there were also POW - some 200-300 soldiers. But most of them were captured by Imperials who sold their POW to the Swedes just after the battle. So I'm sure that Swedish accounts don't show them as 'lost' soldiers.
In total, Swedish casualties in the battle of Trzciana were above 1000 soldiers - killed, wounded and imprisoned. The number 1200, which is presented in Piasecki's chronicle might be a very good estimation of these casualties.

and the Polish about 200.

yes, but it is the number of killed AND wounded.

A Polish victory definitely, but hardly a "crushing defeat" for the Swedes, neither tactically

Tactically, it was a crushing defeat. The Swedes, who outnumbered Koniecpolski's army about 2:1, lost significant part of their army. Remember that it was almost entirely a cavalry battle. That kind of battle was usually quite bloodless - but not in this case!
The Poles were able not only to defeat Swedish army, but they had also much smaller casualties (about 200 compare to about 1200, or about 5,5% compare to about 18%)

nor strategically, as can be seen through the treaty of Altmark.

I agree that it wasn't strategically 'crusing defeat'. Simply because defeating the Swedes in the open field couldn't change the fact that the Swedes controled important fortresses. Polish army was too weak to recapture fortresses and therefore the Poles had to agree with unprofitable treaty of Altmark.

Moreover, I'd like to repeat that Stanisław Koniecpolski and Gustav Adolf met each other on the battlefield 3 times (at Tczew in 1627; at Grudziąc in 1628 and at Trzciana in 1629). Each time Swedish army outumbered Polish one.
The battle of Tczew 1627 finished in this way that the Swedes retreated.
The meeting of Grudziąc 1628 finished in this way, that the Swedes avoided fightings with the Poles.
The battle of Trzciana 1629 was a crusing defeat of Swedish army.

You can judge yourselves who was better.

Dirschau/Tczew. Interesting that you don't say why the Swedes retreated. I suppose you know already, 

Yes, I know. You can read a long discussion about this battle (and my opinion about this battle) in this thread.

Graudenz/G consisted of a number of manouvers where Gustav Adolf and Koniecpolski moved around each other, without initiating battle.

Almost Smile. In fact, Koniecpolski 3 times provoked GA to open field battle, while GA, having numerical superiority, didn't decide to fight in the open and finally withdraw from Grudziac.

The Poles had eventually taken position on an extremely defensible hill, flanked by rough terrain. Gustav Adolf tried several times to present battle, but Koniecpolski refused to leave his positions. Facing the option of a drawn out siege and to move on into Poland; Gustav Adolf choose the latter. You could equally well summarise the actions with that the Poles choose not the fight. The truth is; neither choose to fight.

Sorry Styrbiorn, but I have to say that you don't know what really happend at Grudziac. If you want, I will present here primary source, where Koniecpolski describes how he tried to provoke Gustav Adolf to open field fighting. Polish army left this 'defensible hill' and deployed itself in the open! Koniecpolski even made a room for the Swedes, but GA didn't leave his earthworks.

I'm not going into a deeper discussion about this though. Seeing how you angle the history in Koniecpolski's favour by omitting or outrightly distorting information

Well, if you don't like my opinions, we can compare our sources (primary sources). The members of this forum will decide who and what is more credible Wink.

- and I don't see the point in the whole "who's better?" mudslinging. In any case, the war ended with Livonia and several major coastal cities in Swedish hands, after a war against a much richer and superior power. I think that is pretty good for Gustav's CV, no matter how much you've tried to discredit him here or in other threads.

Styrbiorn, try to be just a little objective. That's all I want.
Koniecpolski isn't responsible for the outcome of Livonian war. When GA was capturing Livonia, Koniecpolski was in Ottoman prison.
Koniecpolski also isn't responsible for the loss of fortresses in Prussia, simply because he wasn't there when GA invaded Prussia (in that time Koniecpolski was responsible for a defence of Ukraine).
Koniecpolski is responsible for the outcome of Prussian war only since October 1626 (in that time he arrived to Prussia and assumed the command). Thanks to Koniecpolski, the treaty in Altmark was much more profitable for the Poles than Polish situation in October 1626.

Edited by ataman - 10-Aug-2007 at 23:57
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:10
I joined this list late so trying to catch up:

I think Gehngis Khan is no doubt number 1 for the areas that he covered and captured.

But want to bring to notice a general who is way down on the list, unfairly: Chandragupt Maurya.

First he was founder of a dynasty.  Secondly, he made several military campaigns where he was successful.  First, he defeated the Greek/Macedonian general Selucus Nector and took over his possessions, which would be modern day Afghanistan and the area nearby.  Selucus was forced to marry his daughter to the Mauryan king to seal an alliance.

Secondly, he caputred lands which took 5 generations of Mughals to achieve all the way from Babur till Aurangzeb. 
Think, he conquered all of present day India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and beyond.

Maharaja Ranjit Singh was another great general who established an empire in one of the most restive places fighting on several fronts at same time.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:16
Thank you for that insight, loneone. I am always interested to learn about Asia (geographically), as my knowledge is rather eurocentric. I'll investigate Chandragupta, to further my current knowledge on the guy.

Also, I would like to support Praetor and Ataman by saying that Koniecpolski needs to be elevated above Wallenstein, for said reasons. Gustaf's position needs to be reconsidered I believe. (I'm not saying we need to go and change it, just review his achievements first). As I am very busy at the moment, I'll abstain my assault on the list until a later date.

Thanks,
- Knights -
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 04:07
Ataman, I'd support Styrbiorn here over those battles. There is no doubt that the Poles were good but also, every chronicle of their own land is biased towards it therefore the numbers given in it may not be taken into general consideration. If you would give a neutral (Russian, Ottoman, English, French) primary source depicting those battles as Polish victories, then I'd believe you but not when the Swedes, Danes, Imperials or Polish do so. 
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 04:49
Originally posted by rider

Ataman, I'd support Styrbiorn here over those battles.
There is no doubt that the Poles were good but also, every chronicle of their own land is biased towards it therefore the numbers given in it may not be taken into general consideration.

Rider, it is of course true that sources are more or less biased. But why do you support Styrbiorn opinion which is based on Swedish sources, while you don't believe me and Polish sources? Be honest. Let's agree that Polish sources are biased, but also Swedish sources are biased.
Here is my proposal - let's compare all sources. We will see which are more credible.

Originally posted by rider

If you would give a neutral (Russian, Ottoman, English, French) primary source depicting those battles as Polish victories, then I'd believe you but not when the Swedes, Danes, Imperials or Polish do so. 

Oh, well. In this way, the history of England (for example) should be written only on the base on Chinese sources Wink
Tell me, which source is more credible - this one, which was written by the member of the battle or this one, which was written by the guy, who in that time was hundrands kms from the place of the battle?
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 05:50
Originally posted by Temujin

16. Eugene of Savoy
he was at leat equal in skill than his contemporary John Churchill, but then the top 10 would get pretty crowded. afterall maybe Malborough wasn't that great... at least Eugene fought the ottomans as well and won, a diverse army and still quite powerfull enemy at that time. i would rate him just above marlborough but don't know where exactly in the list.

26. Erich von Manstein
i have a seriously negative opinion on him so beware. first, he failed to relieve Stalingrad, next, he lost Kursk. end of story. also, he never challenged descisions made by Hitler. pros? siege of Sevastopol, influential in revising the Schlieffen plan and giving more weight to armoured speahead thrust. replace with von Rundstedt.

28. Guderian Should be higher than  Manstein...afterall he DID openly critizise Hitlers strategic descisions and he did command tanks, unlike Manstein. won the (probably) biggest tank battle in history (gembloux, 1940)

85. Archduke Charles
he was not that significant in my opinion, i would be happier with Radetzky.

Oh good, I get to comment!Wink
Eugene of Savoy is greatly under rated. Anyone who can smuggle  an army into a besieged city  and take it from the inside out,  is someone truly special.  National bias  forbids me to allow that he was better than Marlborough, but he's very close.

I think you're being unfair to von Manstein. He came close to relieving Stalingrad, and might have succeeded had the 6th Army attempted  a breakout  towards him. We all know Hitler vetoed any such idea and doomed the 6th Army. At Kursk, he took all his objectives, but was let down by the failure of the Northern Pincer of Von Kluge and Model. Lastly Hitler sacked him for arguing against him.

Sorry, Kursk was the largest tank battle in history, the Gembloux gap was minor in comparison, only a couple of divisions on each side as I recall.

Archduke Charles was responsible for reorganising the Austrian army and came very close to beating Napoleon in his prime. That alone should put him on the list.
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 05:53

Challenger2, there was already a long discussion about Gustavus' military skill in this thread. IMHO his achievements are greatly overestimated.

Oh, right, I'll check it out. Thanks. Smile
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 05:58
Originally posted by Praetor

Originally posted by Challenger2

Okay, I'm ready for the stake and firewood  now.  LOL

Let the Bonfire beginEvil%20Smile

Ouch I'll defend myself when I've a bit more time.  I've not overlooked you.
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 06:26
Originally posted by Al Jassas

I think placing Khalid ibn Al-Walid at the No. 29 is great injustice to him, he deserves a place in the top 10 .

Also I think that Genghis khan is overrated. Most battles that he fought according to Arab and Persian historians he outnumbered his enemies.

I agree about Khalid ibn Al-Walid is too low at 29, but I don't think he's good enough for the top 10. I suspect this has been said already, but both Persia and Byzantium were prostrate after 25 years of war during which an estimated 200,000 troops had been killed and both empires driven to bankruptcy.  Reconstruction had barely begun before the tide of Islam swept in and Heraclius was unable to take the field due edema and congestive heart failure which finally killed him.

Arab and Persian, and for that matter, European, historians could never come to terms with just how small the Mongol forces were that destroyed them. They always assumed it was through huge numbers. This has been disproved many times. Genghis deserves his spot for creating the most formidable army of the pre modern era.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 06:32
Ataman, my sources are a mix of modern Swedish and Polish sources. As I claimed, Swedish sources have traditionally bought the older Swedish explanations of the battle as "a minor skirmish".

Styrbiorn, how many soldiers in your opinion Polish-Imperial army had?

The Swedes were planning to intercept von Arnim's corps, but when he managed to join the Poles the united army consisted of 2500 Polish cavalry (about half husars), 1000 men Polish infantry, 2000 Imperial cavalrymen and about 4000 Imperial infantrymen. In total, about 9500 men. The Swedish army at the time consisted of about 5000 cavalry and 1200 infantry, a reason why Gustav decided to retreat to the main camp.  This is not to say that all the troops were engaged in the battle of course, since von Arnim's infantry never reached the battle. 

Where the Poles were fought off?
Polish-Imperial army fought with the Swedes in 3 places (Trzciana, Straszewo, Pulkowice). The Swedes were beaten in each these places. It is however true that most of the Swedish army was finally able to retreat to Sztum/Neudorf.
Fought off, in the sense that they could continue their march unhindered after the battle. They had of course heavy losses during the process.

Oh, well. It is difficult to fight any battle if your enemy runs away from you or closes himself in a fortress Wink
I don't blame him ;)

At the end of the battle the hussars, having lost their main advantage that was the long lances, fought a totally non-decisive fight with the Swedish cavalry which ended with  the Swedish retreating when Polish reinforcements arrived.

This 'totally non-decisive fight' was summarized by Gustav Adolf in his famous statement: 'I have never been in a hotter bath!'
You take things out of context, I was probably not clear enough. I was talking about the fight at Pulkowitz. The Polish husars were enganged in a melee with the Swedish cavalry, but having lost their lances the forces fought to a standstill until the fresh imperial cavalry arrived and the Swedes decided to retreat, under cover of infantry.

According to Swedish expert of this war:

'Before Honigfelde the Swedish cavalry units present numbered some 5500 men, at the next preserved muster (11th July, Mankell N:o 119) those units numbered 5104 men however of those men 1052 are listed as "sick" but that category makes no distinction between wounded men and those suffering from disease. So the permanent loss was 396 men, 7.2% of the cavalry.'

So, 396 Swedish cavalrymen were killed in this battle.
Because in almost every battle the number of wounded soldiers was higher than the number of killed, we can assume that at least 400 Swedish cavalrymen were wounded. This number could be higher (though it couldn't be higher than 1052.)
These are casualties of cavalry. Apart from cavalry, Swedish infantry lost also some soldiers. According to the Polish primary source, about 500 Swedish soldiers were killed in the battle.
Apart from killed and wounded Swedish soldiers, there were also POW - some 200-300 soldiers. But most of them were captured by Imperials who sold their POW to the Swedes just after the battle. So I'm sure that Swedish accounts don't show them as 'lost' soldiers.
In total, Swedish casualties in the battle of Trzciana were above 1000 soldiers - killed, wounded and imprisoned. The number 1200, which is presented in Piasecki's chronicle might be a very good estimation of these casualties.

Not exactly. The Swedish army rolls, which is the most reliable source for the Swedish losses, says that 600 was dead and imprisoned cavalry, infantry and artillery. Of course, there was more wounded. The Poles lost 200 men dead and wounded, but also many horses. It was indeed a blow to the Swedish cavalry, which numbered only some 4500 after the battle (because of injured horses and soldiers).

Tactically, it was a crushing defeat. The Swedes, who outnumbered Koniecpolski's army about 2:1, lost significant part of their army. Remember that it was almost entirely a cavalry battle.

There is no way there could have been a 2:1 advantage. First off, the whole Swedish army was on the march. Even if you count every single soldier of the Swedish army, it counted about 6500 while the Polish-Imperial troops that finally reached the field was 3000 Poles+2000 German cavalry (excluding the Polish and German infantry that did not engage).

I agree that it wasn't strategically 'crusing defeat'. Simply because defeating the Swedes in the open field couldn't change the fact that the Swedes controled important fortresses. Polish army was too weak to recapture fortresses and therefore the Poles had to agree with unprofitable treaty of Altmark.
Yes, indeed. After the Swedes retreated Gustav Adolf lacked strength to beat the Poles in the field, while Koniecpolski lacked strength to storm the Swedes. It was a standstill, but GA had the strategical victory in hand.

Almost Smile. In fact, Koniecpolski 3 times provoked GA to open field battle, while GA, having numerical superiority, didn't decide to fight in the open and finally withdraw from Grudziac.
...and GA provoked Koniecpolski who didn't want to fight. The main point is that the armies had superiority in different terrain and conditions, and since these gentlemen knew that very well neither wanted battle at unfavourable conditions. GA withdrew since the cat and mouse game did not achieve anything, he had more important strategical targets in mind. The numerical superiority doesn't matter much, due to the superiority of the Polish cavalry in the open field.

Styrbiorn, try to be just a little objective. That's all I want.
Koniecpolski isn't responsible for the outcome of Livonian war. When GA was capturing Livonia, Koniecpolski was in Ottoman prison.
Koniecpolski also isn't responsible for the loss of fortresses in Prussia, simply because he wasn't there when GA invaded Prussia (in that time Koniecpolski was responsible for a defence of Ukraine).
Koniecpolski is responsible for the outcome of Prussian war only since October 1626 (in that time he arrived to Prussia and assumed the command). Thanks to Koniecpolski, the treaty in Altmark was much more profitable for the Poles than Polish situation in October 1626.
Of course, Koniecpolski was the best Poland has produced, one of the great captains of his time. I just don't see why you open several threads to discredit Gustav Adolf, which makes it difficult to be objective. When it comes to his skills, I trust this guy more than any historian who never lead an army:

Originally posted by Napoleon Bonaparte

Read and re-read the campaigns of Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, Gustavus Adolphus, Turrene, Eugene, and Frederick. This is the only way to become a great captain and to master the secrets of the art of war.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 11-Aug-2007 at 06:52
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 06:41

Well, the battle Trzciana (or Honigfelde, as it is known in Swedish/English) has unfortunately suffered from bad research. The Swedish side traditionally adopted the hand-waving explanation of the battle as an unimportant skirmish by the contemporary Swedish leaders, while the Polish side have accepted the rexaggerated numbers of the contemporary Polish propaganda (the English wiki article is based on these Polish figures, and is frankly ridiculous) - the truth is somewhere in between. The point is that the battle is hardly something you can make a decision on whom was the best commander out of Wallenstein and Koniecpolski (though I'd personally choose the latter, it's all about opinions anyway).

Thank you for your helpful critique of the wiki articleThumbs%20Up. However though I am far from an expert on this area of military history I merely picked it as an example of what I pecieve as Koniecpolski superior performance against Gustavus in comparison to Wallenstein which is demonstrated during the campaign/s as a whole. On a final note this thread is about opinions and opinions can be right or wrong so I don't really see your point there.

Originally posted by loneone

Secondly, he caputred lands which took 5 generations of Mughals to achieve all the way from Babur till Aurangzeb. 
Think, he conquered all of present day India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and beyond. 

firstly the Mauryans never conquered the extreme south of India, or all of Afghanistan secondly centrel and the part of the south of India that was conquered by the Mauryans was conquered by his succesors.

His achievements were great, though there is no need to exaggerate them.

Regards, Praetor.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 06:48
Originally posted by Praetor

On a final note this thread is about opinions and opinions can be right or wrong so I don't really see your point there.

Just my humble opinion that the making of list like this is impossible. There are as many lists as there are persons. Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 07:21
Very interesting this topic!

I think Phillip II of Macedonia is overated. Why is he higher that Scipio Africanus for example? Scipio saved Rome from a difficult situation and defeated Hannibal, the best general of his this time. Phllip fought against greek after civil war and he wasn't always successful.  

I also think that Gengis is overated and Subutai is underated. Yeah, of course Gengis was a great general but he was often helped by his general Subutai and Jebe. Subutai was more in battlefield that Gengis and fought against more nations that Gengis. He fought against Russian principauties at the Kalka battle where he was outnumbered 1 to 4 (20000 Mongols against 80000 Russians). He also fought against Song Chinese and Europeans. He defeated the Hungarians at the incredible age of 65 (Napoleon wasn't very succesful at his late career since the Russian campaign).  He fought over 75 battles against 32 nations and was defeated only at 2 times by the Volga Bulgar at Samara Bend and by Song Chinese. His scale of conquest is the bigger any general ever.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 07:51
The numbers of Kalka you have noted here are plainly impossible. If the Russians could have gathered 80 thousand men at 1232 they would have had no problem fighting of the Mongols. A good guess would be around 18-32 thousand but no more by any estimates. Also, it is likely that the Mongols numbered more than the Russians or at least as much. And since the Russians didn't have an unified leadership, their abilities of fighting were greatly diminished. Although a great victory, Kalka shouldn't be selected as a sole example of great military skill.

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 08:21
Okay, here is version 5 of this list, updated through page 26.  It's getting to the point where if I add anyone I bump someone just as worthy off the list, so it's getting tricky.

The top 5, I think, is now set in stone.  Does anyone wish to comment on the rest of the top 10?

Added:
Trần Hưng Đạo
Hamilcar Barca
Mehmed II
Edmund Allenby, 1st Viscount Allenby
Louis Joseph de Bourbon, duc de Vendme
Simeon I the Great
Gerd von Rundstedt
Edward III

Here is the list:

Ranking Name Born Died Country
1 Alexander the Great 356 BC 323 BC Macedonia
2 Napoleon Bonaparte 1769 1821 France
3 Temujin (Genghis Khan) 1167 1227 Mongols
4 Hannibal Barca 241 BC 183 BC Carthage
5 John Churchill (Duke of Marlborough) 1650 1722 England
6 Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne de Turenne 1611 1675 France
7 Jan ika 1370 1424 Bohemia
8 Heraclius 575 641 Byzantines
9 Aleksandr Suvorov 1729 1800 Russia
10 Belisarios 505 565 Byzantines
11 Gustav II Adolf 1594 1632 Sweden
12 Timur 1336 1405 Turks
13 Subotai   1248 Mongols
14 Eugene of Savoy 1663 1736 Austria
15 Gaius Julius Caesar 100 BC 44 BC Rome
16 Frederick II of Prussia 1712 1786 Prussia
17 Khalid ibn al-Walid 584 642 Arabs
18 Scipio Africanus the Older 237 BC 183 BC Rome
19 Louis Nicholas Davout 1770 1823 France
20 Raimondo Montecuccoli 1608 1680 Austria
21 Gaius Marius 157 BC 86 BC Rome
22 Cyrus the Great 590 BC 529 BC Persia
23 Sir Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington) 1769 1852 England
24 Maurice, comte de Saxe 1696 1750 France
25 Erich von Manstein 1887 1973 Germany
26 Thutmose III   ca 1540 BC Egypt
27 Heinz Wilhelm Guderian 1888 1954 Germany
28 Selim I 1470 1520 Ottomans
29 Philip II of Macedon 382 BC 336 BC Macedonia
30 Maurice of Nassau 1567 1625 Netherlands
31 Louis II de Bourbon, Prince de Cond 1621 1686 France
32 George Kastrioti (Skanderbeg) 1405 1468 Albania
33 Leo III the Isaurian 685 741 Byzantines
34 Hn Xn   196 BC China
35 Nadir Shah 1688 1747 Persia
36 Trần Hưng Đạo 1228 1300 Vietnam
37 Winfield Scott 1786 1866 United States
38 Gonzalo Fernndez de Crdoba (El Gran Capitn) 1453 1515 Spain
39 Epaminondas 418 BC 362 BC Greece
40 Robert E. Lee 1807 1870 Confederate
41 Lucius Cornelius Sulla 138 BC  78 BC Rome
42 Hamilcar Barca 270 BC 228 BC Carthage
43 Helmuth Karl Bernhard von Moltke 1800 1891 Prussia
44 Mehmed II 1432 1481 Ottomans
45 Tokugawa Ieyasu 1543 1616 Japan
46 Tiglath-Pileser III   727 BC Assyria
47 Babur 1483 1530 Mughal
48 Edmund Allenby, 1st Viscount Allenby 1861 1936 England
49 Janos Hunyadi 1387 1456 Hungary
50 Chandragupta Maurya   298 BC India
51 Duke of Parma (Alessandro Farnese) 1545 1592 Spain
52 Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson 1824 1863 Confederate
53 Yue Fei 1103 1142 China
54 Narses 478 573 Byzantines
55 Oda Nobunaga 1534 1582 Japan
56 Stanisław Koniecpolski 1590 1646 Poland
57 Louis Joseph de Bourbon, duc de Vendme 1654 1712 France
58 Aurelian (Lucius Domitius Aurelianus) 214 275 Rome
59 Suleiman I 1494 1566 Ottomans
60 Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck 1870 1964 Germany
61 Alexius I Komnenos 1048 1118 Byzantines
62 Claude-Louis-Hector de Villars 1653 1734 France
63 Konstantin Rokossovsky 1896 1968 Russia
64 Charles XII 1682 1718 Sweden
65 Toyotomi Hideyoshi 1536 1598 Japan
66 Albrecht Wallenstein 1583 1634 Austria
67 Jan III Sobieski 1629 1696 Poland
68 Georgy Zhukov 1896 1974 Russia
69 Qi Jiguang 1528 1588 China
70 Simeon I the Great 864 927 Bulgaria
71 Andr Massna 1758 1817 France
72 Robert Guiscard 1015 1085 Normandy
73 Erwin Rommel 1891 1944 Germany
74 Emperor Taizong of Tang (Lĭ ShMn) 599 649 China
75 Flavius Stilicho 359 408 Rome
76 Jean Lannes 1769 1809 France
77 Charlemagne 742 814 France
78 Ulysses Simpson Grant 1822 1885 United States
79 Kangxi 1654 1722 China
80 Shapur I   272 Persia
81 Marcus Claudius Marcellus 268 BC 208 BC Rome
82 Gerd von Rundstedt 1875 1953 Germany
83 Johan t'Serclaes, Count of Tilly 1559 1632 Austria
84 Sebastien Le prestre de Vauban 1633 1707 France
85 Franois Henri de Montmorency-Bouteville (Luxembourg) 1628 1695 France
86 David   965 BC Israel
87 Constantine I the Great 272 337 Rome
88 Wolter von Plettenberg 1450 1535 Livonian Order
89 Sun Tzu 400 BC 330 BC China
90 Pyrrhus of Epirus 312 BC 272 BC Greece
91 Archduke Charles of Austria 1771 1847 Austria
92 Alp Arslan 1029 1072 Turks
93 Jebe   1225 Mongols
94 Shaka Zulu 1787 1828 Zulu
95 Edward III 1312 1377 England
96 Mahmud of Ghazni 971 1030 Ghazni
97 Sonni Ali   1492 Songhai
98 Nathanael Greene 1742 1786 United States
99 James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose 1612 1650 England
100 Sher Shah Suri 1472 1545 Afgan

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 08:58
I disagree about setting Heraclius ahead of Suvorov. None of Heraclius' achievements were as magnificent as Suvorov's.

Also, I would set Hannibal second or first. But no time to comment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 128>