Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 9 most influential empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bulgarian Soldja View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulgarian Soldja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 9 most influential empires
    Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:59

1st Bulgarian Empire - civilizers of the slavs.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 20:28
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

i agree, but i dont want a person exactly like ataturk. i dont want iran to be purged of it its outside influences, i dont want us to change everything so we can "look" western, and i dont want pan iranism to happen.

i just want a leader who cares about iran more than anything else, not a leader that will destroy irans culture, and history, like ataturk did.

ataturk effectively cut of turkey its ottoman history, why? just because they lost one war? if you ask me, that did a lot of damage, and his nationalistic teachings is having effects that we can see today.

first of all neither Ataturk nor today's Turkey is pan or whatever you name it, you should get rid of this idea.The pan Turkists(ulkucu or grey wolves) you refer get only %5 of votes in elections and not all of them are Turkist but just nationalists.

By irans culture you didn't mean mollah regime did you?You clearly know nothing about the late ottoman and early Turkish history so you shouldn't ask questions that you already made up answers on your mind.He didn't end the history or culture.He ended the empire(which there was nothing left) and religious laws, and by this you criticise Ataturk so be it.

Keep one thing in mind, if you want to get rid of mollahs and radical muslims you have to be as radical as them.You can't just ran away and wait for foreign invaders to help you.Iran is free of mollahs, thanks to USA.Is this what you want to say or remember in the future?
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 20:47

lets not go off topic, but i will reply to this.

Originally posted by erci

first of all neither Ataturk nor today's Turkey is pan or whatever you name it, you should get rid of this idea.The pan Turkists(ulkucu or grey wolves) you refer get only %5 of votes in elections and not all of them are Turkist but just nationalists.

i didnt say ataturk was a pan turk in my last post. i said so before but another turk corrected me. ataturk was a nationalist but not pan turk. i know that now.

By irans culture you didn't mean mollah regime did you?You clearly know nothing about the late ottoman and early Turkish history so you shouldn't ask questions that you already made up answers on your mind.He didn't end the history or culture.He ended the empire(which there was nothing left) and religious laws, and by this you criticise Ataturk so be it.

not only that, but he wiped out anything that wasnt turkic from both turkish culture and language, and the things he could not take out he made up lies to mmake them see turkic, like the sun language theory.

the curriculum was also altered to have his views on history portrayed, which were very nationalist and which continue to today. we are seeing effects of it on this very forum.

Keep one thing in mind, if you want to get rid of mollahs and radical muslims you have to be as radical as them.You can't just ran away and wait for foreign invaders to help you.Iran is free of mollahs, thanks to USA.Is this what you want to say or remember in the future?

yes, i know that we have to be just as radical as the radical mullahs are. but there has got to be a better way than killing everyone that was on the oppposite side of the spectrum. ataturk had to kill many religious mullahs himself and their followers in order to take control of the contrey and make it secular.

there has to be other options. but the thing is that iranians now know (or atleast most of them) that religion and politics should not be mixed, even the religious community in iran knows that. these 30 years ahve been a valuable lesson, and i think change in iran can happen without a figure like ataturk.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 06:52

not only that, but he wiped out anything that wasnt turkic from both turkish culture and language,

Westernization was a long procedure for Turks, since the early 18th century, followed by the Tanzimat period in 19th century. It didn't just come out of the blue in one day.

Ataturk actually revived the Anatolian identity again, which was dominated by the Islamist-Ottoman identity for centuries, and whose center was Istanbul elite. He studied on Hittitology, he studied Turkology, and I bet he also studied religious sciences as he was a true intellectual. He wiped out a language which was only used in official state letters and replaced it with the language spoken by %99 of the people all over Turkey. If that means changing a language, then Iran needs a leader to change its language from Arabic to Persian again, altough we cannot see any courageous lions to dare that except the fake ones roaring in such history forums...

there has to be other options. but the thing is that iranians now know (or atleast most of them) that religion and politics should not be mixed, even the religious community in iran knows that

Sure, that's why they still imprison women who don't cover their heads.

these 30 years ahve been a valuable lesson, and i think change in iran can happen without a figure like ataturk.

You don't have to get that jelous mate. Just keep dreaming.....

Edited by Bashibozuk
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:31
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

not only that, but he wiped out anything that wasnt turkic from both turkish culture and language,

Westernization was a long procedure for Turks, since the early 18th century, followed by the Tanzimat period in 19th century. It didn't just come out of the blue in one day.

i know that.

Ataturk actually revived the Anatolian identity again, which was dominated by the Islamist-Ottoman identity for centuries, and whose center was Istanbul elite. He studied on Hittitology, he studied Turkology, and I bet he also studied religious sciences as he was a true intellectual. He wiped out a language which was only used in official state letters and replaced it with the language spoken by %99 of the people all over Turkey. If that means changing a language, then Iran needs a leader to change its language from Arabic to Persian again, altough we cannot see any courageous lions to dare that except the fake ones roaring in such history forums...

first of all, what do the hitites have to do with turkish identity?

second of all, not only was persian spoken by the elites, but persian words were all over the turkish language which was spoken by most turks. 

ataturk decided that the didnt like outside influences, so he wiped out as much of outside culture as he could, and the things he couldnt he made up lies to make them look turkic.

and irans language is persian with some arabic words in it. what is wrong with that? why should we change that?

its funny, and we are the ones getting called chauvinistic.

there has to be other options. but the thing is that iranians now know (or atleast most of them) that religion and politics should not be mixed, even the religious community in iran knows that

Sure, that's why they still imprison women who don't cover their heads.

yes, the mullahs in power unfortunatly have not realised this, because they are the ones in power, and they want to stay that way. there have been many reformist mullahs, like khatami, who have realised that the islam and politics should be seperated.

these 30 years ahve been a valuable lesson, and i think change in iran can happen without a figure like ataturk.

You don't have to get that jelous mate. Just keep dreaming.....

jealous of what? a chauvinist? hey man, its just my opinion.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:58

but persian words were all over the turkish language which was spoken by most turks. 

Prove that. It must be hard for you to even assume what Persian language sounds like.

More than you have with Persian identity.

Not you (plural), but "you" (singular). Generalising is not my habit.

hey man, its just my opinion

It must also be hard for someone to have an opinion without knowledge. Lets not turn this into a flame war and get rid of your obsessions...

Edited by Bashibozuk
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:54

but persian words were all over the turkish language which was spoken by most turks. 

Prove that. It must be hard for you to even assume what Persian language sounds like.

are you denying that there were persian words in the turkish language?

from wiki:

Turkish is the official language of Turkey, and is one of the official languages of Cyprus. In Turkey, the Turkish Language Foundation (Trk Dil Kurumu) was founded by Kemal Atatrk in 1932 as the Trk Dili Tetkik Cemiyeti ("Society for the Investigation of the Turkish Language"), an independent body. The Turkish Language Foundation was influenced with the ideology that the purity of the language had to be preserved by expunging words and grammatical constructions of Persian and Arabic (see below for more on replacing old words). In August, 1983, when Turkey was under martial law as a result of the military coup of 1980, the Turkish Language Society was brought under the control of the prime ministry.

an course on the turkish language froma Turkish university: http://www.emu.edu.tr/english/academics/facultiesdepartments /artsscience/turlanguageliterature/coursedescription.htm

TURK 112 Ottoman Turkish II
This course is a continuation of Ottoman Turkish I. Developing the reading ability achieved in the first course,: introducing the original Arabic and Persian words and rules in Ottoman Turkish and studying and practicing the use of Arabic and Persian words and grammar related with reading and comprehension are the basic properties of the course.

TURK 211 Ottoman Turkish III
The aim is to reinforce the Arabic and Persian grammar rules given in Ottoman Turkish II. In order to accomplish this text produced in different periods of Ottoman Turkish will be studied and basic concepts will be provided to be used in deciphering and transferring these texts into modern Turkish using dictionaries and other means.

from a turkish website: http://www.allaboutturkey.com/dil.htm

The history of the language is divided into three main groups, old Turkish (from the 7th to the 13th centuries), mid-Turkish (from the 13th to the 20th) and new Turkish from the 20th century onwards. During the Ottoman Empire period Arabic and Persian words invaded the Turkish language and it consequently became mixed with three different languages. During the Ottoman period which spanned five centuries, the natural development of Turkish was severely hampered. Turkish formed the basis for Ottoman Turkish, the written language of the Ottoman Empire. Ottoman Turkish was basically Turkish in structure, but with a heavy overlay of Arabic and Persian vocabulary and an occasional grammatical influence. Ottoman Turkish co-existed with spoken Turkish, with the latter being considered a "gutter language" and not worthy of study. Ottoman Turkish, and the spoken language were both represented with an Arabic script.

here is another one: http://countrystudies.us/turkey/25.htm

Within the Ottoman Empire, the Turks had constituted merely one of many linguistic and ethnic groups. In fact, for the ruling elite, the word Trk connoted crudeness and boorishness. Members of the civil, military, and religious elites conversed and conducted their business in Ottoman Turkish, which was a mixture of Arabic, Persian, and Turkish. Arabic remained the primary language of religion and religious law (see Religious Life, this ch.). Persian was the language of art, refined literature, and diplomacy. At an official level, Ottoman Turkish usually was used only for matters pertaining to the administration of the empire. Ottoman Turkish not only borrowed vocabulary from Arabic and Persian but also lifted entire expressions and syntactic structures out of these languages and incorporated them into the Ottoman idiom.

i can show you hundreds more peices of evidence if you need me too!

and evidently, the ottomans thought that the turkish language was crude and brootish, and thought of it as a gutter language.

how do you guys not know about this?

thats funny, do they teach you that hitities were turks in turkish schools?

Not you (plural), but "you" (singular). Generalising is not my habit.

oh so now i am the chauvinist? it seems that you are the one defending the acts of chauvinism, not me.

hey man, its just my opinion

It must also be hard for someone to have an opinion without knowledge. Lets not turn this into a flame war and get rid of your obsessions...

i obviously know more about this than you do.

this is what i am talking about, you guys have been cut off from your past due to nationalistic revisions of history and the wiping out of all influences. how do you not know anything about what was going on just 100 years ago?

Edited by Iranian41ife
pegasusdi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pegasusdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 12:18
Let's make a distinction between Ottoman Turkish and contemporary Turkish.
It is true that Ottoman turkish was a combination of Arabic, Persian and Turkish.  There are also originally Persian words that we use today in modern Turkish.  However, there has been a seriuos reformulation of the languaage in the Early Republican Period, not only in terms of getting rid of some foreign words but also homogenizationof the spoken languages.  This '99% Turkish spoken all over the country' is not what we imagine today because of various different dialects and different languages spoken at the time.. so on.

Coming to the point of being cut off from our past is also a big exagguration, there is some history as a discipline existing in Turkey  The discouse of rupture from the Ottoman past was there, yes, but i am sure you can see how difficult it can be just to erase the past, don't you think?  Moreover, almost every nation-state creates its history and that is how national histories come into being in which members of the nation are though about the glories of the past.  BUT that does not mean that it is NOT criticized or revised later in the light of historical researches.     There may traces in popular history of these national histories but let's not generalize
imagination sets us free to be what we want to be
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 12:25

Originally posted by pegasusdi

Let's make a distinction between Ottoman Turkish and contemporary Turkish.
It is true that Ottoman turkish was a combination of Arabic, Persian and Turkish.  There are also originally Persian words that we use today in modern Turkish.  However, there has been a seriuos reformulation of the languaage in the Early Republican Period, not only in terms of getting rid of some foreign words but also homogenizationof the spoken languages.  This '99% Turkish spoken all over the country' is not what we imagine today because of various different dialects and different languages spoken at the time.. so on.

Coming to the point of being cut off from our past is also a big exagguration, there is some history as a discipline existing in Turkey  The discouse of rupture from the Ottoman past was there, yes, but i am sure you can see how difficult it can be just to erase the past, don't you think?  Moreover, almost every nation-state creates its history and that is how national histories come into being in which members of the nation are though about the glories of the past.  BUT that does not mean that it is NOT criticized or revised later in the light of historical researches.     There may traces in popular history of these national histories but let's not generalize

i wish i could have discussion with people more like you. you actually know what you are talking about.

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 13:21
I can't give countries numbers, but i do believe the Cholas should be up there.

They had a trade route from South East Asia and China all the way down the African coast. This also included Rome and Egypt.
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 13:26
I don't want go off topic,  & It does not need answer, just you can think about it
Originally posted by Erci

What is Sun Theory Language??!
didn't Ataturk introduce it???!
Does not It say all language in world has Turkic orgin even Sumerian or American Inidan were Turk!!???
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 13:56

are you denying that there were persian words in the turkish language?

No. I am denying that it was never all over regular Turkish as you claim, which was always spoken all over Anatolia and Balkans by the Turks unlike the official Ottoman language. You try to look like a scientific observer, though those links you provide just make you look funnier, trying to teach me my own language...

obviously know more about this than you do.

Yeah, whatever...As the saying goes, when you're debating with the ignorant, you are always to lose. Let's continue pretending being a Persian and I am no longer to waste my time repeating myself...

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 14:15

ok bashibozuk, why dont you provide sources? i provided two of my sources from TURKISH WEBSITES.

wow, you are in severe denial about turkey's past.

Edited by Iranian41ife
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 18:49

There is a difference between the official-cultural and popular Turkish in the Ottoman era. In the Ottoman times, the literacy was very low:

[quote]Ottoman Turkish was really used by 9% of the population and the
rest was not actually acquainted with it. http://linguistlist.org/issues/14/14-2029.html[/quote]

The official and literature language had the grammar of Turkish, but dominated with Persian and Arabic words. Also some words were produced through Persian and Arabic grammar rules (these words were only used in Turkey, AFAIK like "cumhuriyet" for republic) We do study the pieces of Ottoman literature at high schools and everybody knows this fact; don't think that nobody is aware of that. On the contrary, most of the students complain for being have to study so much non-understandable words.

On the other hand, the folk language and poetry, tales didn't have so much foreign words in it. I can read in Ottoman script and I see that the popular fok tales were written in the popular language of today. I don't need a dictionary to understand those. The popular language didn't change much since the Ottoman times.

Through the language reform, the popular language became the official language. The stupid "Sun Language Theory" was popular only a few years in 1930s, with the influence of popular studies of national purity in Europe, however it was abandoned soon. The Language Society invented some words through Turkish grammar rules (some were stupid and some were logical - the logical ones lived but the others were forgotten and left to the garbagecan of history).

One interesting thing was that, when the Military junta took over the political power in 1980, it forbid the use of some Turkish words and replaced them with Arabic-Persian ones. For example "Devrim" is a Turkish word that means "revolution". It was replaced by "Inkylap". Another interesting thing is that the pan-turkists prefer the Persian-Arabic words and the communists-leftists prefer the Turkish words. So Iranian41life, your "lovely pan-turkist friends" love those Persian words more than Turkish ones  

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 22:34

finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 22:46

and irans language is persian with some arabic words in it. what is wrong with that? why should we change that?

and ottoman language is turkish with some persian words in it.what is wrong with that? why should we change that?

Edited by finikis
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 22:48
Originally posted by finikis

and ottoman language is turkish with some persian words in it.what is wrong with that? why should we change that?

you DID change it! have you not been paying attention about what we've been talking about for hte past 20 posts?

seriously, answer my question, do they tell you that hitites were turkic?

hitites are part of the indo european family, which means they are close to iranics and other indo europeans.

Edited by Iranian41ife
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 23:29

seriously, answer my question, do they tell you that hitites were turkic?

hitites are part of the indo european family, which means they are close to iranics and other indo europeans.

what is indo european family? I assume you meant the language.It is correct, they spoke an IE language.by this logic Azeris of Iran are Turkic as well since they speak Turkish.I remember one of your posts, you said, language they speak doesn't make them Turkic 

And no, they don't teach they were Turkic but it is a known fact that many Anatolian Turks are descendant of Anatolian natives such as Hittite,Phrygian,Lydian,Lycian,Greek etc... So it's not the Turks who claim this but science

Iranians have nothing to do with Anatolinan natives.

Edited by erci
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 00:20

you DID change it! have you not been paying attention about what we've been talking about for hte past 20 posts?

YES RANST YES! I changed it sorry. what is wrong?This is my comment after your nonunderstandable anti-turk posts.sorry but where there is something about turks in this forum you are always dominant aunt there why?

NO IRANIST NO!  i dont understand what you have been talking for last 20 posts.

Hittites and us are firstly anatolian(same region) so where are they now?Ahhh yes you know the answer we killed all of them with our bloody hands

Note:my god i cant be serious against you  (and i know you are really serious on us) Again SORRY!!

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 00:23

what is indo european family?

indo iranians, greeks, germans, celts, italics, etc...[/quote]

I assume you meant the language.It is correct, they spoke an IE language.by this logic Azeris of Iran are Turkic as well since they speak Turkish.I remember one of your posts, you said, language they speak doesn't make them Turkic 

azeri's are turkic, i have never denied that. please show me this post that you are talking about. azeris are turkic now, that is undeniable.

And no, they don't teach they were Turkic but it is a known fact that many Anatolian Turks are descendant of Anatolian natives such as Hittite,Phrygian,Lydian,Lycian,Greek etc... So it's not the Turks who claim this but science

Iranians have nothing to do with Anatolinan natives.

so what, you guys claim you are turks and now you are claiming that you arent turks but actually indo europeans?

YES RANST YES! I changed it sorry. what is wrong?This is my comment after your nonunderstandable anti-turk posts.

so now we know who the real chauvinists are.

sorry but where there is something about turks in this forum you are always dominant aunt there why?

why not.

NO IRANIST NO!  i dont understand what you have been talking for last 20 posts.

well that explains it,  i suggest you re read the thread.

Hittites and us are firstly anatolian(same region) so where are they now?Ahhh yes you know the answer we killed all of them with our bloody hands

i dont know, did you kill all of them with your bloody hands?

so what are you guys, turks or indo europeans?

Note:my god i cant be serious against you  (and i know you are really serious on us) Again SORRY!!

i accept your apology. now if more people were like you and would just apologise, there wouldnt be many flame wars.

thanks for apologising.

Edited by Iranian41ife
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>