Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Popular Falsities in History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popular Falsities in History
    Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 06:51
Never heard that myth before Vivek.
As for othert myths, some of them old, some of them revisionist,

Ancient Egyptians were black and were turned their present shade by Arabs.
huh?

An allied victory in WWII was inevitable.
Wishful thinking IMO, if the Axis had been smarter, a bit more luck in crucial battles etc and it would have been a brave new world.

That the Greeks were the first democracy.
First of all they were hardly a democracy as we beleive it today. It was probably more correct to call it a representative form of government. And it existed in India and Sumeria ot to mention ancient tribal groups long before.

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 07:05
This prevails in India, Afghans, along with Nepalis. They say nobody has ever been anle to rule them. True to some extent, but very relative.Nepal is off curse too insignificant ot the world politics, but Afghanistan is certianly one of the centres of world politics. 
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 08:22
It is true that Afghanistan has been a nightmare to hold. Not to conquer as such.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 08:37
Here is one:

Mendeleev made the periodicle table of elements.

I read that another scientist (i can remember his name) made that table before mendeleev but he couldn't explane how he made it and how he arranged the elements.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 09:21
Originally posted by Sparten

First of all they were hardly a democracy as we beleive it today. It was probably more correct to call it a representative form of government. And it existed in India and Sumeria ot to mention ancient tribal groups long before.

Dear Sparten, this is not a falsity, it is the truth. It was far more than a representative form of government.

It's true that it included a limited number of people (free, male and property holders) but this was the case in many democracies till very recently.

Taking Greek Democracy in the context of it's era, it was a rather extraordinary experiment that was extraordinarily successful. It ensured isonomy, equality, civil rights, public courts and joudges, the right to elect and be elected to office and the right to have private property and bear arms to protect the motherland. In that frame it was pretty much exactly what democracy ir today, in principle, and a bit more because it was "direct" Democracy.

It was a system that was not imposed by someone who has invented it or because the Greeks were so great or something but rather evolved from the social-economical circumstances at this specific time at this specific place on earth over a period of centuries and was not at it's height untill after the battle of Salamis, when even the lowest classes of Athenians obtained the same rights as the rich ones.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 09:32
Originally posted by Desimir

Here is one:

Mendeleev made the periodicle table of elements.

I read that another scientist (i can remember his name) made that table before mendeleev but he couldn't explane how he made it and how he arranged the elements.

Lothar Meyer, a  German. He simply neglected to publish his results, so Mendeljev who was in fact a few years behind got the credits. They did work independently from each other though. Science is full of examples on this. 
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 11:10
The lords of the Middle Ages had the right of the "Prima nocte" Thumbs Down
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 11:15
Originally posted by Yiannis

Dear Sparten, this is not a falsity, it is the truth. It was far more than a representative form of government.

It's true that it included a limited number of people (free, male and property holders) but this was the case in many democracies till very recently.

Taking Greek Democracy in the context of it's era, it was a rather extraordinary experiment that was extraordinarily successful. It ensured isonomy, equality, civil rights, public courts and joudges, the right to elect and be elected to office and the right to have private property and bear arms to protect the motherland. In that frame it was pretty much exactly what democracy ir today, in principle, and a bit more because it was "direct" Democracy.

It was a system that was not imposed by someone who has invented it or because the Greeks were so great or something but rather evolved from the social-economical circumstances at this specific time at this specific place on earth over a period of centuries and was not at it's height untill after the battle of Salamis, when even the lowest classes of Athenians obtained the same rights as the rich ones.

Sure, but I qualified it with "modern sence". Also democracy worked a lot better with a city state like Athens in ancient times, rather than in empires or countries. Hiw long did Greek remain a democracy after Alexander?

The Sumerian City States were democratic, until the empires came along.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 01:17

Originally posted by Yiannis

Sure, but I qualified it with "modern sence". Also democracy worked a lot better with a city state like Athens in ancient times, rather than in empires or countries. Hiw long did Greek remain a democracy after Alexander?

The Sumerian City States were democratic, until the empires came along.

Sparten is right, Apart from Sumeria, the ancient Indian city states & villages both had the panchayat system, which still forms the backbone of the Indian Democracy. In Afghanistan & Pakistan, the Loya Jirgah of  ancient times still exists.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 03:35
You agreed with me. Twice in one month? Feeling all right Vivek?
LOLWink
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 04:50
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by hugoestr

Here are a few:

Native Americans thought that europeans on horses were man-horse creatures

Deer existed in most of Northern America and there were llamas in South America. Anyone looking at these animals can easily conclude that a horse is some kind of deer/llama. And it is quite obvious that a man is riding it, not part of it :)

I heard a myth similar to this, only with just the horses being creatures that would swallow your head whole. I believe your explanation justifies calling this statement false also.

Tss tss... You're so narrow-minded. Lllamas and deers are smaller than horses, and I don't belive Native Americans rided them. Plus you have to consider that the europeans didn't present theirselfs and their horse wearing nothing. This is not the best pic arounf to ilustrate my point, but it was the only one I could find for now:

Considering the Native Americans lack of knowlage on armor plating, it is quite believable that, at first, they might have belived man and horse to be the same, seeing as they had the same "skin". Mere conjecture, of course, but still highly likely.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 06:20

You agreed with me. Twice in one month? Feeling all right Vivek?
LOLWink

But for your misconception, I always fight for the truth. I say always because I am not a practising lawyer. I did  my law degree merely to add another para to the CV.

Now that telde is not around these days, you can expect more agreement because his ingenious theories had to be countered by equally logical replies.
Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Amirsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 14:19
I would like to comment on a poster who mentioned that it can be argued that Jesus was the first Christian.  Which is false.  He was indeed a Jew, and as said by another poster, he died as a Jew.  He celebrated all the holidays, and practiced the religion fully (remember Davinci's Last Supper?  That is all Jewish tradition, the two bread loafs, wine, etc.  Jews do the same exact thing every Friday night).  I would even argue that his real intentions were never to break from the Jewish religion entirely, as his followers did, but instead to influence change in the religion, or become a sect (since there were different sects of Judaism at the time).

And yes, his real name was not Jesus, but Yeshua - Jesus is just a western translation, just like Paul is not really Paul, but Saul. 
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 21:28
It's pretty funny that people say that Christ wasn't a Christian.

That's like saying Mohammed wasn't a Muslim, nor Buddha a Buddhist, or Confucius a Confucian.

Pretty ridiculous, in fact. There is the crackpot theory that Paul invented Christianity, but if any of these people actually bothered to read the Bible, and compare what Paul said and what Y'shua/Iesus/Jesus said, they would find that they taught the exact same things.

There are plenty of historical myths surrounding the American Civil War. (and if the name depresses you, and you think it should be called the War Between the States, perhaps we ought to go back to what it was originally called by the victors -- the Rebellion, or sometimes the Southern Insurrection.)

A sampler:

Britain was going to intervene on the side of the Confederacy, but then they lost Antietam, which would have been their Saratoga had they won. (Nothing further from the truth. The British government was going to try to open talks between the two countries, and after Antietam they saw that the Union would destroy the Confederacy and they had no need to try to play peacemaker. If they would have intervened militarily for anybody, they would have done it for the Union, considering how much the rest of the world detested slavery.)

If McClellan had won the 1864 election, the North would have made peace. (In fact, McClellan's only terms for peace were reuniting while keeping slavery, and Davis' only terms were complete independence. Further, Lincoln had formulated a plan in which should he lose, he would destroy the Confederacy before the inauguration, which, as you recall, was a month and a half later in those days. Sherman was to abandon Georgia and march as fast as he could towards Virginia, and catch Lee in a pincer while Grant held him down.)

The Southern states seceded because of state's rights. (They seceded because of slavery. "Whoever dares to say otherwise understands nothing about history!" -The Song of Roland)

The Southern soldiers fought because they wanted to defend slavery. (They fought because they felt the South was being invaded, or, more likely, because they were conscripted.)

Joe Johnston was a master of defensive warfare. (He was horribly incompetent, not possessing the moral courage to give battle for fear that he would lose and thus have his reputation tarnished.)

Sherman's soldiers raped and murdered. (They limited themselves to burning and looting.)

Grant was much stupider than Lee and only won because he had more men and materiel. (Of all the generals in the Union Army, Grant was the most similar to Lee, and of all the conventional generals i.e. excluding Sherman, the most competent.)

Sherman hated blacks. (He made several indiscreet comments, but in general wrote of slaves as the betters of those who owned them.)

The North started the war. (The South did, not by firing on Fort Sumter but by taking other Federal forts which belonged to the national government and were paid for by all taxpayers.)

If Stonewall Jackson had lived, the South would have won. (The South never had a fighting chance. By the time Jackson was dead, all Southern ports were captured or under siege, the population was starving, and a good portion of the Southern manhood killed. Lee was genius enough to prolong the war for four years, but not to win. Nobody could have won the Civil War for the South.)

If Lee had won Antietam/Gettysburg, the North would have seen the South at their doorstep and asked for terms. (Rather, Lee made horrible blunders each time he ventured into Northern territory. Wars of aggression are much more difficult than wars of defense -- Zizka's genius is shown that he did not try to attack beyond Bohemia, and it was only once Prokop and Prokupek began their 'beautiful rides' that the Hussites faced their first serious defeats. When Lee invaded the North, he overextended his supply lines and raised Northern ire to near the level the South's was when it was 'invaded'. Rather than weakening the cause of the Union by invading, he strengthened it.)

Robert E. Lee did not own slaves. (He both owned them and beat them personally.)

U.S. Grant owned slaves. (He inherited them from a father-in-law at a time when he was under financial duress, and set them free.)

Lincoln trampled the rights of individuals every which way while the Confederates upheld the original form of the Constitution. (People who claim this are usually very unaware that the Confederacy rescinded the freedom of the press nearly as soon as the Civil War started. Full knowledge of the defeats that Union armies and navies were inflicting on the Confederacy would have crushed morale.)

The South could have won if A.S. Johnston had lived through Shiloh. (A myth started soon after the Civil War to perpetuate the tale of the "Lost Cause", claiming that the South was not crushed and annihilated by Northern superiority but rather was defeated by chance here and there. Johnston was not superior to Grant or Sherman, possibly not even Thomas, though granted he was the second best of the eight Confederate generals -- not saying much! Lee was the only Washington of the bunch, and he did not have anybody to play the role of Greene -- not even Gates.)

As I like to say, Davis was no Washington, and Lee was no ben Gurion.

There are infinitely many more myths that "sons of the South" have set up to justify their cause. I could go on at much more length. It disgusts me the way these people play with the facts of history.

Regards.

Edited by Timotheus - 30-Sep-2006 at 21:30
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 02:03
Agreed about the civil war myths. The Confeds could never have taken Washington, it was the most well defended city in the world at the time, being as it was in the south on the borders of Virginia, the confedracys main state, and in Maryland a state that had to be put under militarty rule.

As for more myths, Lee would have won the Battle of Gettysburg had he abandoned the idea of a frontal assualt and gone around the side as Longstreet suggeted.

Er no, if Lee had attempted that he would have cut himself off from his supply line and lost the war right there. And Picketts Charge was his only realistic hope of winning by that stage, he had attempted to attack both flanks and been rebuffed, the center was the union weak spot.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 14:47
He should have listened to Longstreet's suggestion, that is to let the Union forces attack and I clearly doubt that Lee would lose this batle then. Also, I truly don't see your logic in "cutting the supply line" and how exactly a charge over a 1,200 meters stretch (open field, in a clear view of the enemy) of a smaller force ~ 12,500 vs. 18,000 - 22, 000 people in the Union center is the "only realistic hope"? Lee was provoked by the Southern newspapers calling him the Ace of Spades and he pretty much messed it up with the first two days of battle (ABOVE ALL, by not heeding to Longstreet's advice). I think we all know that South was kicking some serious butt when they were fighting the defensive battles, so the incursion into Pennsilvania was a mistake in itself (many historians claim that the mood in Union was such that they were willing to give up on the cause only if South maintained its defensive approach for another month or two. Ever heard of Copperheads?)

For the poster above you, I also think that Grant was an extremely clever general and knew what he was doing. As for the Sherman's March, I am not so sure about the lack of raping + murdering (I have read one too many Civil War magazines to forget about some letters and articles that explicitly deal with this matter). I will not go into the exact cause of the war, but, yes, South did start the war (physically -  by the attack on Fort Sumter, Apr. 1861).
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 20:43
Originally posted by Reginmund

Right, this thread I find very interesting, especially as it gives rise to many questions, at least for me. I hope you who have posted myths will take the time to answer my questions about them.

Originally posted by Mamikon

Native Americans had no knowledge of the wheel.

I haven't really ever heard anything about whether they had wheels or not, but can you tell me what they used the wheel for and how they made them without metal?

Originally posted by Belisarius

Hernan Cortez conquered the Aztec Empire with 500 Spaniards.

I've read several times that he did, are you referring to the fact that he had native allies in addition to these 500?

Originally posted by Gargoyle

That Jesus was a Christian.

You could argue he was the first Christian, as Muhammed would be the first Muslim.

Nero set Rome on fire.

This is still subject to some degree of uncertainty, no?

Christians were martyred in the Coloseum.

Never? Where do these stories come from?

Originally posted by The Charioteer

Chinese invented gunpowder only used for fireworks.

What did they use it for, other than fireworks? And too what extent?

Land mines, Fire lances, Rockets, granedes, even guns and cannons... ask Mongolians then you would get the picture :P

I also heard that Southern Song dynasty used gunpowder for mining explosion.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 22:16
Tainos become extincted !!! Spaniards exterminated them.

That's the biggest lie I can recall about the conquist of the Americas.

Tainos intermarried in mass with the Spaniards in the Caribbean, and their descendents become "white".

People don't usually know both in the Caribbean and Brazil, the percentages of Native markers in the general population are very high with respect to what people usually think.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 15-Jan-2007 at 22:17
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 01:32
The medieval knight needed a crane to be hoisted into the saddle of his horse.

Medieval swords were nothing more than sharpened crowbars

The medieval knight was slow and just battered his opponent into submission Ermm
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 10:30
Originally posted by Ikki

The lords of the Middle Ages had the right of the "Prima nocte" Thumbs%20Down

Considering how people constantly got married, the lords would have been busy. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>