Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Largest marine creature ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Largest marine creature ever
    Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 04:02
BTW I got this pic in wikimedia..What is it and can it be trusted?
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by Knights

They truly are colossal aren't they! However, I've always thought one of the most mysterious and evil looking of the creatures of the deep was "Vampyroteuthis infernalis". Literally, the "Vampire Squid from hell".

http://www.tolweb.org/Vampyroteuthis_infernalis

Thank god they don't get very big...No one would ever want to swim in salt water deeper than their thigh.

"Jim, why aren't you going out?"

"...It's cOMing, JaCK...The VaMPIre Squid. It knows we're near 30-foot water....it KNOWS....."

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 19:20
The picture posted by Knights looks like a massive underwater venus flytrap!
elenos
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 19:30
The vampire squid does that as a sort of protective measure...It brings its arms and the flesh between them up over it's "head".

Edited by TheARRGH - 05-Sep-2007 at 19:30
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 23:22
I thought it might have closed the hooked arms around its prey and then start squashing it like a an orange to suck up the juice! 

Edited by elenos - 05-Sep-2007 at 23:23
elenos
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 23:34
It's actually not very big-in size, it's measured in centimeters, I think. But it certainly is one of the more devilish denizens of the deep.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 07:23

Be careful fellows, the Blue Whale is the greatest only of the animals, but isn't the largest living thing.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 07:27
All right, I'll bite, what is the largest living thing, a tree? 
elenos
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 07:28
That would be the Giant Sequoia tree wouldn't it? One in particular comes to mind - General Sherman.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 07:33
Actually, it depends how you classify things. Generally, the Giant Sequoia would be the largest. However, there is a type of tree called the Aspen (sp?) which forms many genetically identical "trees" which are interconnected by subterranean root system. It may be more of a superorganism though.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 07:42
There's an interesting thought, a gigantic underground life form. In "Dune" they had giant earth worms as the largest living thing!
elenos
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 12:45
There's also the fact that there is a fungus which spreads in an underground network over literally a few miles. Admittedly, it it unclear at this point whether it qualifies as a superorganism, but several miles of fungus-threads is pretty impressive.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 16:05
I had both question in mind:

1. The super fungus, the most greatest in USA wich expand along kilometres underground. Time ago i had many links with info about this but now i can't find it.
2. Singles giant trees as Sequoya and rainforest giants, without any argument against they.

3. And now Knights say the case of the Aspen's trees, but this case as the fungus can be superorganism i don't know.

So the only that i have clear is that by this time without doubt the giant trees are the champions of the live, until we solve the question of the Fungus and the Aspen tree.

Dates of the sequoia "General Sherman":

-Tall: 83,79 metres
-Volume: 1486 m3
-Weigh: 2100 tons !!!

Edited by Ikki - 17-Sep-2007 at 16:11
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 01:52
Largest marine creature:

CORAL.

Ha Ha. I cheated.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 10:23
Coral...Superorganism? Cheater!

Back to the original topic of "Largest marine creature ever", are we all in agreeance that it is the blue whale? Or are we going to get tricky and include superorganisms, rhizome-connected organisms.etc?

How about we arrange a nice list of:
1. Largest Marine Mammal
2. Largest Marine Fish
3. Largest Marine Reptile/Amphibian
4. Largest Marine Plant
5. Largest Marine Arthropod
6. Largest Marine Mollusc/Cephalopod
Others?

- Knights -
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:16
These boys were something: Deinosuchus

Sarcosuchus Imperator

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 23:17
largest marine cephalopod:

COLOSSAL SQUID!!

....that we KNOW of...hehehehehe...

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 00:11
The largest living creature is a plant-

Scientists have discovered a monster of the deep off the southern coast of Ibiza. Bathers and boaters shouldn't worry though, as the monster is neither a giant man-eating crocodile nor a boat-eating octopus the size of Leeds. It is in fact a plant, Posidonia Oceanica, which covers the seabed all round the island.

The boffins have found a strand of Posidonia which measures an incredible 8 kilometres and has been growing for at least 100,000 years. This makes it the biggest and oldest living organism in the world today.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 00:42
DEAR LORD.

THE PLANT IS COMING!!

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 01:49
1. Largest Marine Mammal = Blue Whale Balaenoptera musculus
2. Largest Marine Fish = Whale Shark Rhincodon typus
3. Largest Marine Reptile/Amphibian = Saltwater Crocodile Crocdylus porosus (largest extant)
4. Largest Marine Plant = Posidonia oceanica
5. Largest Marine Arthropod = Arthropleura and Pterygotus (both extinct) Largest extant is the Japanese Spider Crab
6. Largest Marine Mollusc/Cephalopod = Colossal Squid Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni

Thanks for the pictures Tyranos! They are massive aren't they!

- Knights -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>