Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ethnicity - nationality - race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ethnicity - nationality - race
    Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 09:47
Yes, they look better faceless.
What do you have against French people?
Arrrgh!!"
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 10:00
Here is the national geographic site:

I don't believe everything that we read, but there are some sources that are more reliable than others.
"National Geographic", for example, is a political-neutral, international organization with no political interest, so it's proposed theories are more convincing than other sources sponsored by a government or a profit-making organization.

Elenos, if you go to any book store and look up ANY scientific literature on human evolution, the result you get will be what I've just confirmed:
the out-of-Africa theory of Homo-Sapiens around 70,000 years ago (some sources place it as recent as 50,000 years ago).

Maybe this is not 100% correct, but scientists all over the world today agree with it. If you don't believe me, look up ANY encyclopedia in ANY language and this information is what you will find.

What is less clear, however, is the evolution of genetics once the population has left Africa, as there has been numerous migrations, isolations, interbreedings, inbreedings, mutations etc. making the gene relation among the Eurasian population very complex.

However, all scientific evidence available SO FAR points to the fact that we descend from a woman in Africa around 150,000 years ago, and that all non-Africans descend from a very narrow gene pool.

As Traveller has pointed out, some evidence points to the possibility of gene mixing between Homo Sapiens and other hominids, but this is still a topic under investigation.

Basically, look up ANY book or ANY encyclopedia published after the 1990s for an article on human evolution, and ALL of them will confirm the theory I just stated.

I don't think ALL the scientists in the world are part of the same conspiracy.

Again, if new scientific evidence pops up that convinces ALL the scientists in the world again to re-write prehistory, then so be it.
We have to trust in universally established scientific laws up until a certain point.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 10:28

From what Im led to believe blood tests dont lie but there is the human side and they can lie like crazy or lawyers would be poor. Been looking up some evidence here and found much of the original research was done by the British scientists and got taken over by Americans. They set up the research as private companies. In academic circles one can challenge the work of others; they must make their evidence for testing around the world so it can be demonstrated. 

Not so with a company, particularly ones under American law. They will sue you ass off for even suggesting that their product is faulty. They have exclusive rights to the information obtained and charge as much as they like for it and prevent others from infringing on their intellectual property rights. The directors of the company can use the information to prove whatever they like without having to answer to anybody and therefore castrating the freedom of academic research.

Would the American government permit such a situation? Hello! America is under George Bush and has been since this whole thing started. How scientifically objective has his administration has been? Dare it be said they have also actively encouraged creationism, yet another scientific scam under the guise of religion.

elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 11:41
Bush / Science / Truthiness

We will just wait this one out.
Some of us are very excited at the prospect of Science being acknowledged again.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 04:37
I want to see science reinstated right now! My last post was gloomy but I'm passionate about opposing GM, genetic modification of plants. Okay so the plants get no diseases but the manipulated plants cannot reproduce and have to be bought from the genetic company each year.

Bush has allowed them to operate, yet opposes stem cell therapy. To allow manipulation of genes for plants but try to stop genetic therapy for repairing human health goes beyond belief.

All this could be stopped by law, but no surprises who allows them to operate. Sure I believe gene splitting guys can be trusted with my genetic details, as much as I believe in fairy tales. I would feel much differently if the current crop of dishonest politics was weeded out of science and history.

Edited by elenos - 05-Jul-2007 at 04:43
elenos
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 06:32
Originally posted by Traveller

I still believe pictures are better than words specially to educate stupid people like me.

But pictures only show you what people look like, which is a very unreliable guide to genetic relationship, as Calvo has been explaining.

I guess if you included X-rays, body scans and the like it would help, but even then you wouldn't pick up on things like blood type, resistance to diseases and so on.

What people look like is only a very minor factor is determining genetic distance, powerful though it may be in setting up irrational discrimination and persecution.

I agree with most of what Calvo has said, but I don't like the use of the word 'adaptation' with regard to evolution. Adaptation is better confined to changing characteristics (like the skin darkening in response to sunlight) that are within-a-lifetime things, and are NOT passed on to offspring.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 07:00
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 07:09
Originally posted by gcle2003

But pictures only show you what people look like, which is a very unreliable guide to genetic relationship, as Calvo has been explaining.

I meant it would nice to find out how similar people can look and yet be genetically far from each other and vice versa.

Nothing special.If evolution exists it cannot stop.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 08:35

Calvo has a point there (in the article). I would translate what they said as more or less saying how there seems to be series of genetic switches inside us that can turn on or off in a lifetime and be passed on help our descendants adapt to a changing environment.

If members of the same family intermarry there is a high probability of hemophilia, natures way of saying dont do that and all in the one generation. During times of war there have been a number of famous studies done that show how the onset of menstruation changes and the females become sexually active and have children at a younger age, but that is regarded as restricted information in some countries. More positive gene switches can take place. You adapt to a food and what made your family throw up for thousands of years is no longer passed on, or eases off.

Edited by elenos - 05-Jul-2007 at 08:48
elenos
tulia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 00:46

BTW.....It's AFAIK.....NOT AFIAK.  It stands for AS FAR AS I KNOW.Wink

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 05:17
Originally posted by tulia

BTW.....It's AFAIK.....NOT AFIAK.  It stands for AS FAR AS I KNOW.Wink

Thank goodness for that. I though it may have been  something rude!
elenos
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 05:22
Afaik you
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 05:41
Thank you for the offer but never mind!
elenos
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 16:32
Originally posted by calvo

"Race" strictly refers to biological descent and genetic similarity.

Actually 'Race'  is not a biological attribute. It is in fact an ideal defined by culture.

Inotherwords Race is defined not by genetics but rather by how people of on culture are percieved by others of another culture based on physical attributes, most commonly skin colour.

For example when Europeans first came to places like Africa and the Carribean they saw that the natives were darker skinned and so decided they must be of a different, and by virtue of skin colour, inferior 'Race' ( although the word itself is a 19th Century creation the concept has been there since ancient times)

And how people define race is conditioned by their own culture and upbringing. So the early explorers for example were brought in culture that suggested 'White' people were more civilised than coloured people.

And THAT belief goes back thousands of years into ancient times when the colour of your skin was the first thing you were judged on.

So 'Race' then is purely an ideal. It has no basis in genetics or biology.
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 16:58

Race, ethnicity and nation not necesarily go side by side.

Take it for instance the term Hispanic. It means people born in Hispanic America, the spanish speaking people of a region that was the former Spanish Empire. In term of race, in that region come people from all over the world: Indigenous, Iberians, West Africans, Europeans of all the corners, Middle Easterners, Gypsies, Jews and Asians to name a few. Besides, the fact that most people has admixtures of at least two groups. In nationalities, there are 20 nations to chose from!

So, if I need to define myself, in cultural terms I am Hispanic, but more precisely Chilean of the center of the country, with a long Iberian and countryside tradition, although living in the city. In racial terms, we are a mixture of mainly European with some Amerindian ancestry. In national terms we are Chileans.... that's the more important to us, indeed.

For the rest of the people of the region theirs attitude is similar. The country goes first, then the hispanic culture and only after that the details: region, race, personal history..

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 17:01
Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

For example when Europeans first came to places like Africa and the Carribean they saw that the natives were darker skinned and so decided they must be of a different, and by virtue of skin colour, inferior 'Race' ( although the word itself is a 19th Century creation the concept has been there since ancient times)

That's not true with respect to the Tainos, the Caribbean Natives. They were not described like dark sninned but of the "color of a Canarian" or light tanned. Tainos were a group related to the Arawaks, and they are not that dark.

Pinguin

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 02:57
Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

And how people define race is conditioned by their own culture and upbringing. So the early explorers for example were brought in culture that suggested 'White' people were more civilised than coloured people.

And THAT belief goes back thousands of years into ancient times when the colour of your skin was the first thing you were judged on.
 [/QUOTE

I do not totally agree with this.
Yes, the colour of one's skin gives the first impression, but if you go through the historical text and administration accounts of ALL the multi-racial civilizations that had existed prior to the 19th century, NONE of them had used "colour" as a tool of division of its diverse population.

In the Roman, Persian, and Chinese empire

I do not totally agree with this.
Yes, the colour of one's skin gives the first impression, but if you go through the historical text and administration accounts of ALL the multi-racial civilizations that had existed prior to the 19th century, NONE of them had used "colour" as a tool of division of its diverse population.

In the Roman, Persian, and Chinese empires, one's tribal alliance and affinity far overrode "race".
Language was probably a more important factor, as when you meet someone who speaks a language you can communicate with, you naturally have more in common.

In the Middle Ages, religion was the major divider.
In Egypt, Muslim Spain, and Jerusalem, the principal divisions existed between Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Russia divided its divserse population according to Turkic, Mongol, Iranian, or Slavic groups according to language, while no mention of "colour" had ever been made.

Even early British and Dutch explorers in America and Asia did not consider themselves as superior because they were "white".
Mixing between British soldiers and Indian women in East India was rather common until the racial theories came about in the 19th century. The early British colonists even adopted Indian customs.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 05:39
Originally posted by calvo

Even early British and Dutch explorers in America and Asia did not consider themselves as superior because they were "white".
Mixing between British soldiers and Indian women in East India was rather common until the racial theories came about in the 19th century. The early British colonists even adopted Indian customs.

I'll add to that that in the Royal Navy in the 18th/19th centuries 'black' and 'white' seamen were treated alike. (That is, not very well Smile.) I do't believe that crew manifests indicated the colour of skin at all.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 05:59
What was that matey - this motley crew are getting mutinous? Tie them to the mast and flog the lot of them! 
elenos
JuMong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JuMong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 22:35
It's difficult to get beyond race issues as human beings seem tribal by nature. I use to remember Liberals espouse the idea that human beings weren't born racist and that it's a learned behavior; but, more I go through life, more I'm beginning to realize that humans maybe born racists and that we spend so much energy throughout our lives trying not to be.

In the modern world , it seems we think more in terms of culture rather than race. Whether it's Western Culture or Eastern Culture; superior culture vs inferior culture.  This maybe related more to the anxiety of terrorism and the Illegal alien problems we face today.

Edited by JuMong - 18-Sep-2007 at 22:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>