Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical maps of Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical maps of Bulgaria
    Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 02:53
If you are speaking about the Kilkis area (or Kukush) i agree (although with exception such Goumenissa).

But eastwards the map is purely nationalistic: Serres was almost purely greek,and the whole Thrace was inhabited by Greeks and Turks,not Bulgarians.
Bulgarians never reached the coast of Aegean,and  the occupation of this area (either conquered during 1st Balcan wars,or given from the Nazis to their allies) is not ethnically excused ,but just because a way to the sea was necesarry.
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 04:24
Well, dear Digenis, i think, that this map substantiate your assertions: i think you can see that the territories between Solun-Seres-Drama-Mesta river and the Aegean coast are really settled mainly with greeks & turks, but the territories, who are in the north of this area are settled mainly with bulgarians. In the cities of Seres and Drama were living also many bulgarians, not only greeks & turks. In fact, i must say, that the bulgarians VERY rarely were reached the Aegean coast, but not "never". And also the territories around Kilkis, Edesa, Kastoria, Florina, Gianitsa and Goumenissa was settled mainly with bulgarians(or slavophones if you want). Therefore the biggest part of the hinterland of Solun, was settled mainly with bulgarians http://vmro.150m.com/en/carnegie/Macedonia-Bulgarian_view.jp g

Also, you can follow this link and to learn more: http://vmro.150m.com/en/carnegie/

Enjoy...

About Western Thrace i can write later. I have a big ethnic map, and i must scan this map and to upload them. But i have some problem with the uploading, and i don`t know why. I must try with another browser, or with reinstalation of the operating system on my computer.

Edited by The Chargemaster
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 17:36
Post the map- and i might answer.The image cannot be seen.
Also,i wrote about eastwards.I was too clear i think about my objections.

Besides i think (by the name of the  link) i already have the 1st map.And i read :the bulgarian view.There is a similar map with the "Serbian view".
I have many maps of the region if u want tell me to post.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 10:07
Now, with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.1 i can upload what i want! Dear Digenis, i recommend to you, try Firefox and his great extensions if you are not using this browser yet!  This is the map and it`s already uploaded:

Now you can answer. I think that this map substantiate a big part of our (your and my) assertions at the same time. About Western Thrace i think that i can upload my ethnic map, but later.

If you have some ethnic maps of Macedonia, Western Thrace and Eastern Thrace, for me will be interesting to see them, because i have many ethnic maps of many regions too. If you take a look in my profile you will see what are my interests.

Also, for me is interesting this: have you got some ethnik maps of Mikra Asia before 1922 and have you some maps of the Greek campaign for the Liberation of Mikra Asia between 1919 - 1922? I think, that this war is too little known in Bulgaria. The theme of this topic is different, but i think that if someone make new topic for this war, this will be great...

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 10:23
I think, that the only difference between the maps with the bulgarian and serbian points of view is that in the serbian map, one big part of the bulgarians, are defined like a serbs, or like some other slavs. But about the greek settlements, the two maps are on a whole equal.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 11:13

Hi Chargemaster. Let me first say that I fully respect the fact that the wider geographic area of Macedonia was (and still is) a patchwork of different nationalities, mostly Greek, Slav and Turkish (more in the past than now).

But trying to prove anything these with maps, it's not possible and -more important- you try to hide the truth that the map that you posted it "the Bulgarian view". See here the full map and not the piece that you posted: http://www.kroraina.com/knigi/karnegi/Macedonia-Bulgarian_vi ew.jpg

If you want to see propaganda maps have a look on this serbian one:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/balkan_dialects_19 14.jpg

In any case, speaking generally, I do believe that there was a very sizable population of Bulgarians in Macedonia who were forced to leave or assimilate. Same thing has happened with the Greek population that was within Bulgarian borders (much less in numbers that the Bulgarians within Greek borders). There was a formal exchange of populations between greece and Bulgaria.

Second Balkan war, First World War and the Bulgarian occupation of Macedonia during WWII, didn't make things easy for either one of the populations, but since greece emerged victorious in all three of these conflicts, it's easy to understand that those who felt more the pressure of the wwar were the Bulgarians. Although the Greeks were also terribly oppressed during 1941 - 1944 by the Bulgarian army and the attempts to "Bulgarize" the area.

That was part of the creation of ethnic states, which is responsible for much of the ethnik cleansing in the area and the root of many of the troubles that still devastate the Balkans.

Ethnic exchanges & expulsions between 1912 and 1915
Ottomans Greeks Bulgarians
Greek Macedonia 100,000 50,000
Greek+Serbian Macedonia 100,000
Thrace 150,000-160,000
Eastern section of Thrace 51,000
Western section of Thrace 40,000-50,000
Bulgaria-Ottoman Empire Boarder 47,000 49,000
Totals 190,000-200,000 150,000-160,000 250,000

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 14:13
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

Now, with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.1 i can upload what i want! Dear Digenis, i recommend to you, try Firefox and his great extensions if you are not using this browser yet!  This is the map and it`s already uploaded:

Now you can answer. I think that this map substantiate a big part of our (your and my) assertions at the same time. About Western Thrace i think that i can upload my ethnic map, but later.

If you have some ethnic maps of Macedonia, Western Thrace and Eastern Thrace, for me will be interesting to see them, because i have many ethnic maps of many regions too. If you take a look in my profile you will see what are my interests.

Also, for me is interesting this: have you got some ethnik maps of Mikra Asia before 1922 and have you some maps of the Greek campaign for the Liberation of Mikra Asia between 1919 - 1922? I think, that this war is too little known in Bulgaria. The theme of this topic is different, but i think that if someone make new topic for this war, this will be great...

I will be also happy to see pre 1922 maps of balkans, west thracia etc.

Bosniathebestcountry View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 23:52
so what happened to the bulgars and the avars? they just merged with the slavs and died out.... or something
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 02:53

Originally posted by Bosniathebestcountry

so what happened to the bulgars and the avars? they just merged with the slavs and died out.... or something

About the proto-bulgarians, you can read my answer to barish in the first page of this topic.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 04:27

But trying to prove anything these with maps, it's not possible...

Yes dear Yiannis, i know. I know that is impossible(or very hard) for anyone, to prove anything to one greek. But, no problem, i don`t care.

...and -more important- you try to hide the truth that the map that you posted it "the Bulgarian view".

Oh, great God !!! Yiannis, are you able to see THE LINK in my first post about this map?    ===>

the territories between Solun-Seres-Drama-Mesta river and the Aegean coast are really settled mainly with greeks & turks, but the territories, who are in the north of this area are settled mainly with bulgarians. In the cities of Seres and Drama were living also many bulgarians, not only greeks & turks. In fact, i must say, that the bulgarians VERY rarely were reached the Aegean coast, but not "never". And also the territories around Kilkis, Edesa, Kastoria, Florina, Gianitsa and Goumenissa was settled mainly with bulgarians(or slavophones if you want). Therefore the biggest part of the hinterland of Solun, was settled mainly with bulgarians http://vmro.150m.com/en/carnegie/Macedonia-Bulgarian_view.jp g

What is written on the link? I see this - "Macedonia-Bulgarian_view.jp g". But what you see?

And in my next post i see this:

This is the map and it`s already uploaded

But maybe you see something different, OR WHAT ?! Is this just a missunderstanding/mistake, or what? PLEASE post some explanation.

THE TRUE REASON FOR THE CROPPING OF THIS MAP IS, that when the users in this forum want to upload some image, the size of this image cannot be more than 200 kb !!! And please, dear Yiannis, save this map to your hard-drive and take a look: what is the size of the map? I think, it is 197,99 kb.     

Although the Greeks were also terribly oppressed during 1941 - 1944 by the Bulgarian army and the attempts to "Bulgarize" the area.

In fact, this "bulgarization" found expression only in the return in these lands of one part of the bulgarians, who were living there up to 1924 year. What is "the badly thing" in the return and in the home-coming of one part of these bulgarians who were repressed by the greeks between 1913-1924?

And finally, please, can someone post here some ethnic map of Macedonia or Thrace (but for the times before 1913 or 1922/4), which will be defined from EVERY USER in this forum like a "non-propaganda" and like a "true/reliability map"?

I am afraid, that not...

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 04:42

Originally posted by Yannis

...the creation of ethnic states... is responsible for much of the ethnik cleansing in the area and the root of many of the troubles that still devastate the Balkans.

That`s right, that`s right... I think so too.     

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 13:15

This is a ethnic map, made in 1912 year:

This is the ethnical distribution in Thrace in 1912 year, zoomed:

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 05:08

What did an average proto-bulgar look like? Are there present day bulgarians who still look like the ancients?

Youre bulgarian right? do you consider yourself slavic... or not exactly?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 14:21

I think, that in principle the most part of the proto-bulgarians looks like today`s kazakhs, who are living in Central Asia.

Yes, i am a bulgarian. The bulgarian (in principle) do consider himselv as a slavic man. Just like the serbians, the croatians, the russians and the other slavs. In fact, i think that i am more with thracian roots, than slavic. In the same time most of the bulgarians have big percent slavic blood and slavic features. I think that the slavic blood in me is big percent too, but the features of my face are more thracian, than slavic.

I think, you are serbian... or some man who are speaking serbo-croatian language. Is this right?

And i think, that the serbians thinks that the today`s bulgarians are tatars or some turkic people. THIS IS WRONG. The ancient proto-bulgarians were like a drop in the Slavic see and they were assimilated between VIII-X century.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 20:19

No, i'm Bosnian.

Im not sure who the thracians are or what they looked like.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 03:38
I think that noone knows for sure about the face-features of the ancient thraces, but i think that theyr faces are similar with the faces of the ancient greeks, or with the faces of today`s kurds. I am not absolutely sure about this.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 09:41

One new map for this topic:

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 07:08

One map form this site: http://www.vmro-rousse.hit.bg/

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 07:41
oh mine!
what propaganda maps are these!
"great Bulgaria" ?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 08:31

Maps in hungarian language, from this site - http://terkepek.adatbank.transindex.ro/belso.php3?nev=269

A map of: the boundaries of Bulgaria according to some proposals and agreements in XIX century; also - the boundaries of the Bulgarian Exarchate and the boundaries of the Third Bulgarian Kingdom between 1913 - 1918: 

The Bulgarian Exarchate and the Constantinople Patriarchate - the percents of their members in the dioceses up to the Balkan wars:

Ethnic Macedonia up to 1913 year. On the small map - the Ilinden Uprising in 1903 year:

The percents of the muslim bulgarians(pomaks) in Southern Bulgaria:

Bulgarian territorial losses after the Second Balkan War and after the First World War. On the small map - the territories which were restored/handed back to Bulgaria according to the agreement with Turkey in 1915 year - for inducement of the bulgarian government to join the Central Axes in the First World War:

The Third Bulgarian Kingdon in the time of the Second World War, between 1941 - 1944:

Map of the Bulgarian territorial losses after the Second World War.

--------  - The Greek territorial pretences/claims and

_..._..._ - The Bulgarian territorial pretences/claims

Another map with the bulgarian territorial changes after 1878 year. On the small map - the Second Bulgarian Kingdom by the rule of Tsar Yoan II Asen (1218 - 1240):

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>