Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Return of Tengriism?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return of Tengriism?
    Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 07:08
Is Tengrism primitive?
Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 11:08
Originally posted by Forgotten

i support the kyrgiz to return to tengrism and i wish that all the turkic people return to thier original way of life and relegion

I just wish that people explored things a little deeper and didn't accept the defaults of the society they were born into.  But I'd say I wouldn't mind seeing Istanbul's skyline added to with a couple of temples hehe.

I am secular 100% though, so I don't believe it should 'return' as a force, just as an open, free and private alternative.  It should not be looked down upon at all as it tends to be atm (Kafir...) but should be embraced as another rich aspect of the Turks history and revived in a sort of way.

My opinion.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 11:29
Originally posted by Raapi

as it tends to be atm (Kafir...)

Ofcourse Turks will call it "Kafir", Kafir means unbeliever. Thus a Tengrisiist/Shamanist will call a Muslim an unbeliever.

On the whole you have added to the point that i initially made which is that the only thing that is keeping this cult alive is the historic element. Virtually no one in Turk that claims to be of this doctrine trully believes in it.
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 12:06
Originally posted by OSMANLI

On the whole you have added to the point that i initially made which is that the only thing that is keeping this cult alive is the historic element. Virtually no one in Turk that claims to be of this doctrine trully believes in it.

Why not? It's a religion as any other, different, yes, but not less worthy. There are pagan and more or less "ethnic" religions that are still alive around the world (pagan by Abrahamic faiths' standards) such as Hinduism, Shinto, etc. So why not Tengrism? I would think there'd be real believers in it. Every philosophy has something to offer.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:39
Calling this religion "pagan" is incorrect as it was in its essence monothiest.

Geser (Ges'r, Kesar) is a Turkic prophet who taught Trks the new monotheistic religion Tengriism. It is unknown when he lived, and there are not many documents that mention him. Tengriiism isn't approved by most Muslim scholars, but Sura'h 108 of the Quran has the name 'Kusar', which may be an arabisation of Turkic name 'Geser'. The name of this sura'h often translates as "all goods" but it is not 100 percent certain, because many scholars have different opinions on this sura'h.

Monothiest religions have existed since the dawn of human creation, the Holy Qur'an if i've remembered correctly also teaches this, that the creater has sent prophets to explain religion to all the people in all their languages but these were all corrupted by the devil and its demonic forces encouraging total social breakdown, extreme materialism, ignorance etc after which some would start worshipping material objects, idols, people etc

Islam believes it always existed as monothiesm has always existed.

If some are Tengriest they should be respected for what they are and not called names.

Also Muslims should be respected for what they are and not called names.

People shouldn't try to convert others by force, Turks did not convert to Islam by force they chose it.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:47
Bulldog, although pagan automatically makes us think polytheist, in the (Christian) Roman Empire it was used for anyone who wasn't Jewish or Christian. And from what I know, even though Tengri is the highest god, he is not actually the only god. If I'm not mistaken there is also an Earth Mother (Yer) and an underworld god (Erlik?) as well as others. The deities seem to be mostly personifications of natural powers (fire, sun, moon, etc.) I think this would make Tengriism not a monotheistic religion by any means, but an Animistic one. It also has Shamanistic aspects. Ancestor worship is another important element.

It has common features with other ethnic traditions such as the Tibetan Bon and Japanese Shinto.

Actually, here's a link I just found: http://www.ethnikoi.org/tengrianism.htm

EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 15:58
i am proud about my religion but Tengriism or Shamaism are our culturel tradition,we have to keep them as culture...
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 16:08
we should drink horse milk, and instead of using car, We should use horse. These are also our cultural tradition.Big smile
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 16:43
i did not say anything for degenarated persons of course...as i did not say that we should convert  our religion from İslam to Shamanism,it is foolishnes to talk abot Horses in spite of Cars...Only thing that we should do,it is know and keep our traditions,not fight against modern necessities...This is a better texte for degenerated persons...
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 16:45
It would save alot of pollution and petrol is running out so we may back to horses quicker than we think Big smile

Obviously people must technologically advance but keeping the positive tradditions and culture are a must.

The new Horses are Motorbikes, I only wish Turks could start driving 
Motorbikes and Cars aswell as they ride horses LOL today Turkish drivers
are CRAZY 
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 16:47
religion is not a tradition.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 18:19
Nevermind most Turks, most HUMANS don't follow their religions properly therefore don't really believe in them as they ought to be..

Btw you're wrong about a shamanist reffering to a Muslim as an unbeliver because only the 3 Abrahamic religions (Islam, Judaism and Christianity) have that attitude.  Shamanism etc has a live and let live attitude and doesn't care about other faiths nor does it employ any missionary tactics.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 18:21
You're right, only a small part of it.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 01:17

Virtually no one in Turk that claims to be of this doctrine trully believes in it.
There still are Turk tribes in southern and northern Siberia who are Tanriist or Shamanists.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 06:18

Sorry i was refering to Turks in Turkey.

Sirona, most of these so called Tengriist in Turkey are not true believers though. Most are from nationalistic groups using this old religion to feel like "true Turks". Most of them do not trully believe in its doctrines.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 12:18

Sorry i was refering to Turks in Turkey.

Sirona, most of these so called Tengriist in Turkey are not true believers though. Most are from nationalistic groups using this old religion to feel like "true Turks". Most of them do not trully believe in its doctrines.

You're right about this.  I've met some Turkish Tanriists, they're just Pan-Turkists who claim this as their religion for it's historical meaning.  They don't actually believe in Tanri.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 10:16
İn Turkey,a fascist group called" Trk" is returning to tengriism or schamanism.More and more Turkish nationalist joining them and became tengriists.
There is a theory about there will be 500000 Pagan nationalists at 2010.This number will grow...
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 10:23

We have been discussing about this quite long without knowing what tengrism is. Can some one summerizes very briefly the dogmas of Tenrism?

Either make a history or become a history.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 15:12
Originally posted by Turk Nomad

İn Turkey,a fascist group called" Trk" is returning to tengriism or schamanism.More and more Turkish nationalist joining them and became tengriists.
There is a theory about there will be 500000 Pagan nationalists at 2010.This number will grow...

Why on earth are fascists saying they are Tengriists? The two don't mix.  I hate how this set of ideas is being stained with fascism andhow Pan-Turkism in general is tarnished and trivialised by extremism.

Barbar, you can download a detailed file all about Tengriism here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/35015953/THE_GODS_OF_THE_TURKS.doc.html
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 06:29

Thanks for the link, Raapi.

What I learnt from there is that Tenriism is actually a very primitive form of religion related to nature worship. Sky, earth, water, fire, sun, moon, stars etc are all deities. The rituals are also in very primitive form, and any female were not allowed. Another obvious fact is that Turkic leaders use Tengri for justification of their rule. I only can say that it is just a cultural phenomenum rather than a systematic religious notion.
Either make a history or become a history.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>