Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe "macedonians" in today`s republic of Macedonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Poll Question: What are in fact the today`s "macedonians"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [16.54%]
80 [60.15%]
25 [18.80%]
6 [4.51%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "macedonians" in today`s republic of Macedonia
    Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 12:46

Originally posted by DayI

Macedonians in Macedonia are Macedonians as Turks from Turkey are Turks.

Well, it will be the same thing if i say that the today`s turks who are living in Eastern Thrace are Thracians as the bulgarians from Bulgaria are bulgarians.

Edited by The Chargemaster
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 13:10
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

Macedonians in Macedonia are Macedonians as Turks from Turkey are Turks.

Well, it will be the same thing if i say that the today`s turks who are living in Eastern Thrace are Thracians as the bulgarians from Bulgaria are bulgarians.

thracia is not a country, it belongs to a country wich make them "one of them", got it?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 13:58

thracia is not a country, it belongs to a country wich make them "one of them", got it?

Dear DayI, thank you for your explanation.  In fact, up to the 1912 year Macedonia belongs to the Turkish empire, and according to all ethnic statistics for Macedonia - there don`t exist "macedonians".  Please, look in the previous page.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 14:00

Ottoman mainly interested with religion not race.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 14:05

Originally posted by Mortaza

Ottoman mainly interested with religion not race.

Then look in the turkish statistic in the prevous page. What are these religions: "Bulgarians","Turks", "Greeks", "Albanians" and "Serbs"?   

Edited by The Chargemaster
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 14:08

Hello Guys. I am not really engaged in this conversation but I will let you know that I will keep an eye on this and similar topics in the future. Basically to remind everyone to keep the levels of discussion within respectable bounds. When making your points do so with your facts and summation. When debating with another person do not bellittle eachothers efforts. We are hear to learn,, share and understand.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 15:10

On the initial question I have to say: There is no 'Macedonian' nation. Slavic Macedonians are a slavic people, brother of all slavic people.

However, keep in mind, that when the Balkan wars ended, there was a huge slavic minority in Greece. Greece had borders with both Bulgaria and Serbia. The slavic people of (Greek) Macedonia were recognized by Greece as a Bulgarian minority. Why is this important? Because, if Slavicmacedonians were a seperate ethnicity, Greece would of course prefer to call them differently (eg Dardans, Vardars or whatever), rather than giving a reason to Bulgaria to invade Macedonia in order to liberate her people. Notice also, that the parentship of Slavicmacedonians was also not given to Serbia, something which still would be more preferable, because Greece and Serbia were allies. So, given all these options and the fact that in the end Greece recognized Slavic macedonians as Bulgarians is more than enough to me to show the real identity of these people.

Now, to reply to some people that seem to be a little biased.

First, Bashibuzuk made a valid point, that we Christians don't like to admit. The fact that indeed in Macedonia the biggest minority was the muslim (!), and not the christian ones separatedly. Still however, all christians combined were more that the muslims.

Second, chargemaster, your map is indeed very accurate, I have to admit. (I saved it in my PC, because I was looking for some good source of the ethnology of Macedonia). However, it shows a 1912 census and a 192something. If it had a 1913, you would see that there was already a change in the ethnology. During the Balkan wars, many Bulgarian families fled as the Greek army advanced. Equally, many Greeks came from Eastern Romylia (southern Bulgaria). The area of Kilkis, which originally was almost purelly slavic, after the war became predominantly Greek, due to the really BIG number of Greeks that came from Thrace, and the also big number of Slavs that left the area. In WW1, Kilkis was a more Greek than Slavic town. The final conclusion to the ethnic composition of Macedonia and Bulgaria came with the population exchange(s). Today, there are relatively few Slavic speakers in Macedonia. In 1951 there were around 50,000 Slavs in Greece. Today, according to the Greek officials, there are about half,(around 25,000). According to CIA they are more, I think around 80,000. Eitherway, they have in their biggest part Greek identity (I know that from personal experience), and they are only a small propertion of the total population of (Greek) Macedonia, which is more than 2,000,000. Also, after the exchanges they are not a recognized minority.

Something last to be noted about Slavic Mecadonians is that many of them fought on the Greek side against Bulgarians, and they identified themselves as Greeks, despite their slavvic language. I have made thoughts about the reasons for this behavior, but these are off topic now.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 15:14

Then look in the turkish statistic in the prevous page. What are these religions: "Bulgarians","Turks", "Greeks", "Albanians" and "Serbs"?   

Most probably because they have different churches. am I wrong? there is not montegrino, because their church is same with serbs church.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 15:24

Bg_turk, your statistcs are not a proof. I have a dozen of Greek statitstics, which guess what they show. Also, don't tell me that you have 'unbiased' statistics. the fact that some are German (or Austrian) doesn't mean anything. I have an English map that shows that the majority of the population north until Kosovo and a little south of Danube is Greek.

Also, there was no 'cleansing' campaign by Greece, not at least different than in Bulgaria, and especially than in Turkey. Actually Greece is by far the purest nation in the Blakans, exactly due to the mutual population exchanges with Bulgaria and Turkey. And I think it was better this way, because else who knows what massacres would take place, where these populations would  be minorities. Look at Albanians in Serbia, instability in FYROM, massacres in Bosnia.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 15:38

In the term "migratory movements" are to be included all mass movements due to any cause whatsoever, whether the result of forcible eviction (war-like operations, deportations, etc.), voluntary emigration, or treaties and exchange of populations.

These migrations and only in Greek Macedonia (not in Bulgarian or Yugoslav Macedonia)  are set forth below in their chronological order.

The advance of the armies of the Balkan Allies-the Greeks on Thessaloniki, the Serbs on Uskub and Monastir, the Bulgars on Kavalla and Thessaloniki, resulted in a partial stampede of the Moslem population of the invaded area towards Thessalonica. Of the Moslem population of Greek Macedonia, some 10000 went over to Turkey as the result of this panic.

• On the outbreak of the second Balkan War between Bulgaria and her former Allies, a very considerable portion of the Bulgarian population in the districts to the north of Salonika followed the retreating Bulgarian Army into Bulgaria. The districts affected were, principally, that of Kilkis and, to a lesser degree, Goumentza, Demirhisar and Seres. The total number of Bulgarians who migrated at this moment was about 15000
  • Towards the end of that year the whole Greek population of the Macedonian districts ceded to Bulgaria by the Treaty of Bucharest (qazas of Jum'a-i-Bala, Razlog, Melnik, Nevrokop, Strumitsa) emigrated to Hellenic Macedonia. They numbered about 5000
  •  A similar movement took place from the Macedonian districts ceded to Serbia (qazas of Monastir, Gevgeli and Doiran). The Greeks from these districts, to the number of about 5000 settled for the most part at Thessaloniki, Florina, and Kilkis.
  • At the same time the Greek population of the Caucasus, excited by the news of the Greek victories in Macedonia and by reports of free distribution of land, started to emigrate. Although the movement was discouraged by the Greek Government, which already had its hands full with other refugees, some 5000 * Caucasian Greeks succeeded inbeing admitted into Macedonia.

1913-1914.

AS the result of the action of the Bulgarian Government in Western Thrace, which territory had been ceded to Bulgaria by the Treaty of Bucharest, and the settlement there of Bulgarian emigrants from Macedonia, practically the whole of the Greek population were forced to emigrate. Of these some 40,000 settled in Macedonia, others going to Old Greece.

• After the conclusion of peace between Turkey and the Balkan States, the Young Turkish Government started a vigorous propaganda among the Moslem inhabitants of the ceded districts, to induce them to emigrate to Turkey. Although Western Macedonia was hardly affected, a considerable portion of the Moslems of Central and Eastern Macedonia, estimated at 100000-115000  left for Turkey and were settled in Eastern Thrace and on the western coast of Anatolia.
  • With the object of bringing pressure to bear upon the Greek Government to surrender the Egean Islands which had been occupied by Greece during the first ~ a l k a n War, the Young Turkish Government proceeded to expel, during the summer of this year, a portion of the Greek population of Eastern Thrace and the Asiatic littoral. About 100000 of these refugees (80,000 from Thrace and 20,000 from Anatolia) took refuge in Macedonia, where they were settled by the Greek Government.
  • During the European War the Bulgarian Army occupied Eastern Macedonia, and all the Greek inhabitants-to the number of 36,000  were deported to Bulgaria.

Immediately after the Armistice the survivors of theabove deportation-to the number of 17000 only-were brought back and reinstated in their homes.

1918-1919.

The successive occupations of Western Thrace, Eastern Thrace, and Smyrna by the Greek Army were followed by the re-emigration of the Greeks who had been expelled from these countries in 1913-1914. The total number repatriated from Macedonia was about 140,000.

1919-1920.

In the course of 1919 the Greek Government decided to remove to Greece the Greeks of South Russia and the Caucasus, many of whom had been reduced to the condition of refugees by the Bolshevik Revolution. Of these, 55,000" were settled in Macedonia.

After the defeat of General Wrangel by the Bolsheviks at Odessa and in the Crimea, a portiori of the Russian White Army, including large numbers of Russian civiliall refugees, was transported to Greece. Of these about 1000  were settled at Thessaloniki.

1919-1924.

In 1919 a Convention was signed between Greece and Bulgaria to facilitate the reciprocal emigration of the Greek and Bulgarian minorities in the two countries. Under this arrangement 27,000 Bulgarians had quitted Greek Macedonia for Bulgaria up to the end of 1924.

1922-1924.

After the Greek disaster in Asia Minor practically the whole of the Greek population of Western Asia Minor and the Black Sea littoral (Pontus) took refuge in Greece. Also, immediately after the signature of the Mudania Convention by which the Allied Powers agreed to surrender Eastern Thrace and Constantinople to the Kemalists, the greater part of the Greek and Armenian population of Eastern Thrace and a portion of the Greek inhabitants of Constantinople, fearing reprisals by the Turks, removed to Greece. Of these refugees, up to  November 1924, about 200000 had been installed in Macedonia and 120000 in Western Thrace.

1923-1924.

In January 1923 was signed the Greco-Turkish Convention for the exchange of populations, which differs from the Greco-Bulgarian Convention in that it makes the emigration of the Greek and Moslem minorities in the two countries compulsory, only the Greeks of Constantinople and the Turks of Western Thrace being exempted from its provisions.

This Convention came into operation in October 1923. By November 1924 the whole of the Moslem population of Macedonia, amounting to 348000 persons, with the exception of a few individuals of Albanian origin whom the Greek Government had agreed to exempt from the exchange, had been transferred to Turkey.

In May of this year the remnant of the Greek population of Eastern Thrace and Asia Minor began to be transferred to Greece, under the provisions of the same Convention.

By December 1924, at which date the exchange was practically completed, 150,000 Greeks (94,000 from Anatolia, 18,000 from Eastern Thrace, and 38,000 from Constantinople) had been transferred to Greece.

Besides the above-mentioned wholesale migrations, a factor which must also not be overlooked is the settlement in Macedonia, immediately after the Balkan Wars, of considerable numbers of Greeks from Old Greece. Taking into account the Government officials, gendarmes, etc., 10000 would not be too high a figure. This does not include the army.

more in

http://www.macedoniaontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3335 #post3335

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 15:55
The source of the previous map of southern macedonia was not offered...
This is a map of Greek Macedonia,
showing the population in 1912 (right column) and 1926 (left column).
It is a map of the LEAGUE OF NATIONS .
I dont think there is a more reliable source than the "UN" of the time....
:

I really apologise about the quality of the picture,(i had no time to fix it)
Blue -Greeks
Red-Muslims (Turks and others)
Green-Bulgarians
Brown-Others (Jews,Alb,others)
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 16:09
But this is not the topic of the thread...
People like Bg_Turk =the turkish foreign office of propaganda, search every possible thread for attacking Greece .
I won't deal with him ,i ll just plz everyone to ignore such attemps.

For the topic,
These people traditionally considered themselves as Bulgarians,until the beggining of the 20th century.
National propaganda and goverments were changing them names from time to time ,according to the political situation,
but their language and customs reaveal their Slavic identity-i would say they are a branch of Bulgarian nation.

Of course in the last century,and especially after 1945 a new nation was borned ...and formed gradually
(this proccess has not ended yet)

As a new nation,these people need a "national fairy tail" . (as for every new-nation)
The story of Alexander is more appealing than ancient  Dardans or Paeonians.
Being descendants of brave Macedonians seems much more glorious ,than  being descendant of slavic shepherds and provincial Bulgar hillbillies of the Medieval times !

Edited by Digenis
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 16:13
Digenis the map and my statistics  of my article have  the same primary sourse

Edited by akritas
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 17:15
Originally posted by xristar

Bg_turk, your statistcs are not a proof.

"My" statistics? It is not my statistics, it is some statistics that I came accross in wikipedia, and I believe it is properly referenced and independent enough.

I realize now I gave the wrong link as a source for it, sorry for that, here is the correct link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Macedoni a

On the same page there is also information by Encyclopedia Britanica, according to its 1911 edition:

• Bulgarians: ca. 1,150,000, whereof, 1,000,000 Orthodox and 150,000 Muslims (the so-called Pomaks)
  • Turks: ca. 500,000 (Muslims)
  • Greeks: ca. 250,000, whereof ca. 240,000 Orthodox and 14,000 Muslims
  • Albanians: ca. 120,000, whereof 10,000 Orthodox and 110,000 Muslims
  • Vlachs: ca. 90,000 Orthodox and 3,000 Muslims
  • Jews: ca. 75,000
  • Roma: ca. 50,000, whereof 35,000 Orthodox and 15,000 Muslims

In total 1,300,000 Christians (almost exclusively Orthodox), 800,000 Muslims, 75,000 Jews, a total population of ca. 2,200,000 for the whole of Macedonia.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 17:30

An interesting review by Andre Rossos:

http://www.jstor.org/view/00376779/di000559/00p0006e/0

On p.373 we read:

"Colonel A.C. Corfe, chairman of the League of Nations Mixed Commission on Greco-Bulgarian Emigration, reported in 1923: "In the Conversation, Mr Lambros [Governor General of Macedonia], actually said tat the present was a good opportunity to get rid of the Bulgars [sic] who remained in this area and had always been a source of trouble for Greece." This could be achieved at leas superficially: Athens made a concerted effort to eradicate any reminders of the centuries old Slav presence in Aegean Macedonia by replacing Slav Macedonian personal names and surnames, as well as  place names, etc., by Greek. This policy reached its most extreme and tragic dimensions durin the late 1930s under the dictatorship of General Metaxas when use of the Macedonian language was prohibited even in the privacy of the home to a people who ken Greek scarcely or not at all, and who in fact could not communicate properly in any other language but their own."

On the same page Captain Evans, an agend of Special Operations Executive, who spent eight months in western Aegean Macedonia as a British Liaison Officer and station commander, condemnde Greek policies:

"It is a predominantly SLAV region not a GREEK one. The language of the home, and usually also of the fields, the village street, and the market is MACEDONIAN, a SLAV language...The place names as given on the map are GREEK...; but the names which are mostly used ... are ... all Slav names. The GREEK ones are merely a bit of varnish put on y Metaxas ... GREEK is regarded as almost a foreign language and the GREEKS are distrusted as sometimes alien, even if not, in the full sense of the word, as foreigners. The obvious fact, almost too obvious to be stated, that the region is SLAV by nature and not GREEK cannot be overemphasized. "

Edited by bg_turk
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 18:11

As about Captain Evans a quote from the book of Spyridon Sfetas (View of the Macedonian Issue in 20th cent) in the chapter "Autonomistics Moovements of the Slavphones in 1944) pages 154-155

Captain P. H. Evans, liaison officer in Western Macedonia from March to December 1944, mentions no private transactions with Goce, merely that they met once(53). By his own admission, Evans knew nothing about the Macedonian Question. He never doubted the existence of a SlavoMacedonian patriotic sentiment,which, however, he regarded as more in the nature of a localistic feeling. What particularly struck the young officer was the fluidity of the Slavophones national consciousness, which was determined chiefly by motives of self-interest(54). Evans' final conclusion was that the Slavophones could easily remain in the Greek state, since it ensured them better  living conditions and permitted them to speak their local dialect, as also that no objective preconditions existed for a free Macedonia(55)

53. A. Rossos, The Macedonians of Aegean Macedonia: A British Officer's Report, 1944, TheSlavonic and East European Review, 69 (1991), No. 2, 304.

54. It is this perfect duplicity of the Macedonians which makes them difficult to know. It is hard torind out what they are thinking.... I have often been struck by this ambivalence or more-thanambivalence ofthe Slavs in Greece, their willingness to go in this direction or that according to the vagaries of propagandaand the altering pressure of circumstances. They are a set of muddleheaded peasants who perhaps hardlyknow from one month to the next what they really want, op.cit., pp. 297-8.

55. If Greece can give the Macedonians what they want_freedom of language and a somewhat betterlife_they want to remain Greek citizens... There can be no independent Macedonia. Even if one regards it,as I do, as right, in the abstract, that there should be, one has to concede that practically it is undesirable,op.cit., pp. 298, 308.

And is known that the  Slavmacedonians (SNOF)  took the Communist part during the Greek Civil in order to occupy from Greece the Macedonia and then to unite all the Communist countries under the Balkan Federation

Edited by akritas
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 03:33
Originally posted by bg_turk

Originally posted by Leonidas

Well, as far as the greeks are conerned we were liberating greek land, while saving our greek brethern.

Liberating does not mean you can ethnically cleanse the lands from other people. As far as the Serbians are concerned they too were "liberating" Bosnia for instance.

At the time of the balkans conflicts, ethno-nationalist fought the war from all sides; greece, turkey, bulgaria , serbia etc etc , what do you think would be the predictable outcome with the land won by any of those sides?Its called common sense, and guess what? all sides did what they thought was right on the land they won.

Your idea of multicultural tolerance is completely inappropiate to judging balkans history and much of it today.

Anyway its not like Bulgaria didnt try to expand (Balkans2 or WW2)...get real all your pointing out is that some won and some lose.

Bulgaria did try, but it was only a trial, an unsuccessful one. The Greek expansion was a successful one, and its campaign of ethnic cleansing against the Slavs of Macedonia was probably one of the most successful one in the Balkans.

Well the jews were successfully wiped out in all occupied territory in WW2.

Since i dont deny greeks doing bad things, I will qualify that everone else was doing such things.

Of course but since the Greeks were the victors, and since the balance of power was on their side, their crimes against Slavic Macedonians by far exceeded the crimes of the other side.

which side? there were bulgarians, serbs, greeks and turks in the main frame but dont forget albanian and romanian aswell. It simply wasnt a two way fight, bulgaria started the second balkans war lost, then again with the Nazi's and lost. Who was the aggressor? and what about the others? You cant look at the balkans with such a easy way nor is it simply about greeks vs bulgarians(slavs)

Anyway your still making no seroius point but atleast you can agree it came down to who was the 'victor' in the four way conflict. ..small steps

Greece lost to turkey it took in 1.5 million refugees, do you see me posting stuff like you? No

I would be very interested to see a source for the figure that you provide.

The ethnic cleansing of Greeks from Asia Minor is a crime against humanity too (as is the expulsion of half a million turks from Macedonia). But two wrongs do not make a right. Nothing can justify your intentional campaign of ethnic cleansing in Macedonia and your attempts to annihilate the Slavic culture and language in the region.

No two wrongs dont make it right, not my point. But hey you seem to be understand that every side had their fair share of victims.

You havent seen such figures? Im suprised since your very high ineterst in human rights, ethnic cleansing and all those historical skelatons you like digging up, why havent you looked at this one or written about it?

If you want those figures and pictures for your benefit start a thread.Hec this is your the chance to show us greeks that really we are wrong about your intentions, and your interest in such crimes is really consistant and fair.

But i wont be holding my breath either

Edited by Leonidas
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 03:33

All of you can take a look at this german ethnic map, made in the last years of the turkish rule: http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7540/makedonienlandschaft sundkultur.jpg

I have found this map here: http://makedonija.150m.com/makedonija/macedoniaethnographicm aps.htm

And look at this picture from a "Macedonian history" textbook :

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 05:26
The picture speaks for itself.

They even claim the Bulgarian lords Tihomir and Deljian as ''Macedonians''!!!

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 05:57
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

And look at this picture from a "Macedonian history" textbook :

well i wanna laugh too if i whould knowed what it means, since i ant able to read crylic or slav alfabet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>