Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Control/Gun Ownership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Control/Gun Ownership
    Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 15:38
I actually think they should have laws for people who want to carry arms openly.

Criminals almost never procure their firearms legally, so with strict gun control laws, you're just disarming the law abiding citizens.

Imagine for one second that one of those kids in the university had a gun with them and was trained to use it? Maybe instead of 32 innocents dying only 15 died. Its not perfect but its better.

Point is, criminals will hurt you if they want. The law is inadequate in dealing with these kinds of threats. This is especially true in the United States. If you live in a peaceful law abiding country, you don't need to carry firearms, but in a crazy bloodthirsty jungle like the United States where everybody is mentally unstable, a '38 snubnose in the glove compartment would make me feel a whole lot better.

Disarming the general population just makes things easier for a criminal.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 15:44
Cezar
I mean, if you see two people firing at eachother how do you know who's the "good guy" and who's the "bad guy"? They're not wearing labels or uniforms.

That's a great question, what exactly do the police do in such a situation?

Now about Gun ownership, my Uncle's have firearms, my grandfather had firearms and so on, they were from remote areas but there were hardly any cases of gun related violence in his village. Weapons were just something everyone had in their home but rarely ever used.

So what I think it bottles down to is basically culture.

As some American forumers have stated, in some parts of Texas everyone has a gun but crime levels are very low. Is this due to gun ownership or that its a more tight-nit community with a more non-violent culture?

If you look at todays youth, they're heavily influenced by "gang culture", guns are the ultimate kudos earner, a fashion accessory, its a measure of manhood, it gives authority, represents power. They're idolized in music, in youth urban culture, in films. Its cool to have a gun, you get respect for robbing people, you get a street name for sticking up a shop, you get looked up to for shooting a rival...

Is it any wonder that this is happening in such an environment? it wouldn't matter if we banned all weapons, people with such a mindset just want to inflict violence, pain and suffering and will find a means to do it weather via a gun or other weapons.

I feel we have to really analyse the social catostrophe which is growing among a certain socio-economic group of the youth in our societies. They respect nothing, have no family unit, their role models are local gang members, drug pushers and thugs.

Let's take a look at a scenario.

Your 13-15, grown up in a council estate/project/ghetto, your mother works so you don't see her, you don't know where your father is, you start hanging out on road, next thing your expelled from school. You start living day in day out on the street, all your friends are in the same position you don't mix with people of other socio-economic groups. The people who are respected and feared are the older's who are hardened criminals. Living in a highly materialistic society you start wanting what you see everyone has but you don't want to work for it, so you steal it. You start getting involved in petty crime, meddling with drugs, forming or joining the local gang. Your getting older, you need money but nobody wants to employ you, your unqualified, a bum, a gangbanger, the only job you'll get is on the minumum wage. But you want the high life, everyone you look up to has flashy cars, diamonds, gold chains, sexy girls that's what you want to be. You know how to make money fast...DRUGS, so you get involved, your doing quite well make a few thousand then get set up and robbed at gun-point. Your angry with society, cannot trust anyone, realising its a dog eat dog world so get yourself a gun. You start pushing again, you start making money again and someone else tries to set you up, this time you shoot the guy. A year later you get caught for pushing, do a few years, come out with more knowledge, push some more. Your 20, intellectually ignorant, but would earn a degree at being street-smart, you know nothing about the world, don't read news, know history, involve in arts or culture. You respect nothing, you don;'t have a family and never knew what family or family love is, you never were taught religion and the basic morals they preach, you'd do anything for money, life's become cheap, your a menace to society and are proud, everyone around you respects you more the badder you get.

A few years later someone knocks at your door, pulls the trigger and this time your dead.

This story may seem far-fethced but its a growing reality on our streets and needs to be adressed. 

Its not guns that are the problem its society, if everybody had a gun but had firm morals and a functioning society there would be far less gun related crime.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 16:19
Originally posted by Yiannis

I also do remember Canada accusing US absense of gun control laws, as a reason for the inflow of guns into Canada. Short of "imported violence"....

There's more to our gun control than just the registry. A firearms certificate is neccessary to purchase guns and now ammo. To get the certificate the police are supposed to do a full background check and completion of a firearms saftey course is required. Hand guns are restricted weapons and if IIRC correctly can only be carried directly between the shooting range and home. The only civilians that are allowed to carry handguns must make 75% of their living in the woods and can use them for protection against wildlife(black bear, grizzlies, etc..). You can't ride around with a pistol in your glovebox or carry one on your person in the city.

There are more handguns and automatic weapons showing up on our streets because of the illegal drug trade. Canadian produced hydroponic pot and meth are traded directly for guns south of the border which are then smuggled into Canada.

Edited by DukeC - 21-Apr-2007 at 16:44
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 16:20
That's a great question, what exactly do the police do in such a situation?
The police tell them both to put down their weapons or force will be used against them. If one of the two is good, they always listen. Atleast so far anyways, haven't heard a story of otherwise yet.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 16:26
Point is, criminals will hurt you if they want. The law is inadequate in dealing with these kinds of threats. This is especially true in the United States. If you live in a peaceful law abiding country, you don't need to carry firearms, but in a crazy bloodthirsty jungle like the United States where everybody is mentally unstable, a '38 snubnose in the glove compartment would make me feel a whole lot better.

There are over 250 million firearms in the hands of civilians in the U.S., if it was a crazy bloodthirsty jungle, there would be thousands of killing everyday. Given the huge amount of weapons in the U.S. I think it's amazing there isn't more gun violence.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 18:01

Pikeshot. thank you for your reflections of thoughts and answer to my post.

Northman,

I don't know what threads you read, but in just about anything to do with current affairs, or, as an example, this discussion, the comments are replete with criticism and indeed scorn for America.  And there are many forumers who revel in it.  A good number of those are in leadership here...moderators.  It was one reason I resigned that lofty position.

I don't lose sleep over that, but it does annoy me.

I don't see that much criticizim towards american people and I find no reason that there should be. That said, its no secret that I'm no fan of the current administration. Not only due to its foreign policy, but primarily because what its doing towards the american people (but I guess thats a total different discussion.)

It took little time for a thread in support of the kids at VPI, and for Jim Dorman to slide into snide and critical comments about how the American "gun culture" is reflective of our paranoid, psychopathic nature, and that we are "cowboys" and we all think our neighbors or the government is going to axe murder us in our sleep.

I guess that is why people want to come here to live, right?

Nobody I know walks around armed and looking over his shoulder expecting an attack.  Certainly not in Blacksburg, VA or State College, PA or Lawrence KS or Missoula, MT or any of the other 1,000 college towns around.

I know - I never felt an urge to look over my shoulder while visiting the US - but....
I have been teaching for 32 years on a technical college here in Denmark, and been a guest teacher in more countries, including the US on more occasations.
The remarks from Genghis and Adalwolf made my blood freeze. How can anyone think it is ok or even should be necessary for kids to arm themselves in a school?  Is this really what you want? - I refuse to believe that.  

Thats why I reacted - and wrote like I did. 

OK, I am ranting here.  But, those comments are idiotic.  You really don't know us very well.  You may think you do, but you don't.

You call my comments idiotic - well, I guess thats a matter of opinion.
You can always claim I don't know you (americans) - but maybe you should't be so categoric. Over more than 15 years, I have spent a consideral amount of time getting to know some of your countrymen,  living with them in their homes, getting to know and like them.
Thats why it saddens me to see young peoples first reaction to problems - "Lets get a gun!"....  and maybe I hoped for some backup from more adult americans.

As far as a right to bear arms, I am not a gun owner.  I have no need of a gun.  If someone wants to handle weapons, he can enlist in the National Guard.  Or he can go buy one.  It is the reality here, and dates from 1787 when there was a frontier, and when the defense of the Republic was based on a militia.  So?  It is not the only archaic legal principal in existence.  I am sure you can cite examples of that where you live.

If you dont feel a need to own a gun, then why are you not speaking up against american kids who wants to arm themselves in school? Why dont you tell them it isnt necessary to have a gun in school? - maybe they would listen to you - or - do you think its fine too?

No - we dont have a 230 year old constitution - but a "Fundamental Law" about basic rights which is adjusted from time to time (3 times in the 20'th century).
You don't amend the Constitution every time there is an emotional/political hot button, or you wind up with disasters like Prohibition.  That was enough of that.

Every time, no - but something could emerge through 230 years - right?

If something in that constitution proves to endanger lifes, maybe it would be worth to make a minor adjustment. I belive guns can endanger lifes.

The Danish reality is different, I am sure, but I don't know that much about Denmark.  I cannot speak for the other guys on this point.

This, my last question was to hear what possible benefits (or the contrary) a society could have from introducing guns, a right to bear arms.

It was meant rhetorical as I believe the answer is obvious.        
~ Northman

Edited by Northman - 21-Apr-2007 at 18:11
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 18:06
Didn't even notice that Duke.
And people call Americans ignorant, this shows you know nothing about the US. Bloodthirty Jungle? WTH are you talking about? Wacko Our population isn't out to get each other, don't try to portray us as barbaric.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 18:39
Imagine for one second that one of those kids in the university had a gun with them and was trained to use it? Maybe instead of 32 innocents dying only 15 died. Its not perfect but its better.
Yes and if one of the 2000 infants in Beslan had been carrying an automatic rifle she could have avoided a massacre and successfully defend her school against the Chechen terrorist Would you feel good if the class bully was allowed to carry a gun at school?

This is especially true in the United States. If you live in a peaceful law abiding country, you don't need to carry firearms, but in a crazy bloodthirsty jungle like the United States where everybody is mentally unstable, a '38 snubnose in the glove compartment would make me feel a whole lot better.
You got yourself an official warning for this comment. Show me than the Americans are more "mentally unstable" than the Swedes, the Italian or the Koreans and you'll get my excuses, so far you've broken the CoC:

5. Rude insults, defamatory remarks, offensive images, cursing, profanity intended as an insult towards another member, personal attacks, words of hate. Any remarks that stirs up anger. In dealing with flame wars, comments that started the flame war will have more weight in terms of violation.

6. Nationalism, derogatory remarks to national or ethnic groups, jingoism, bigotry, racism, political propaganda. (see appendix below)

7. Derogatory remarks to individual members or social groups on grounds of their age, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

8. Negative attitude; tone of confrontation, annoyance, or contempt; disrespectful toward other members.
I am a free donkey!
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 00:09

I heard the figure about 80 gun deaths a day in America......thats one right that is being paid for dearly.

That's a nice statistic for a nation with a population 300 million, this comes to 30,000 deaths a year. Which means that .0001 percent of americans will die from gun deaths in any one year.

To put in in perspective half a million people will die every year from cancer, 150,000 of those will be lung cancers so should smoking be banned since it's five times as likely to kill then guns?

44,000 people die every year in auto accidents, should cars be banned?

And in actuality for reference only 800 deaths a year occur from firearms accidents, the other 29,200 deaths come from intentional acts and shockingly of those more than half 16,000 are used to commit suicide so in actuality every year around 14,000 people are victims of gun violence, or .00005 percent of the population. Yes, guns certainly are causing a dangerous effect on our society.

This again taken into the fact that we have 250 million registered firearms, so a very miniscule amount is actually the cause of a death.

------------------

Thats why it saddens me to see young peoples first reaction to problems - "Lets get a gun!"....

Not me, it gives me hope that there might be much needed change in the government, and as history has shown (unfortunately) the quickest way to change is through violent action.

If something in that constitution proves to endanger lifes, maybe it would be worth to make a minor adjustment.

But then you get into dangerous issues, by that statement one could argue that abortion should be adjusted in the constitution.....different moralities in different cultures affect the laws of the nation of that culture.

What arguments can I use to convince other Danes, that we also should have a right to bear arms?

A right to bear arms, should be a fundamental right of every nation. All citizenry should be taught on how to defend their homes, their families and their rights. Even if such defense is against their own government, it is the duty of all nations to instruct all responsible adults in the art of defense. To this end they should be instructed in the usage of modern military weapons so that if another nation or group invades they can use this knowledge to plan accordingly (not just how to shoot but what tactics an enemy might employ against you). However this shouldn't be the main function since defense also requires preparation and maintainence of infrastructure (roads, communications, electricity) so that the defenders are not crippled if war might strike. Also they should be instructed on the means with which to defend themselves from their own legal system and should have the right to meet force with force if they are proved to be in the right.

As an aside approved guns should also be used in the conservation of animal species and their habitats, for the purposes of culling overextended populations.

The right to bear arms shouldn't be taken to mean that an individual has the right to shoot off a weapon. It should be used in it's proper meaning that the government should educate it's citizenry so that it can best serve the state as a secondary defense force, if any disasters (natural and manmade) should afflict them.

In this manner I believe Denmark would be best served by allowing a right to bear arms.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 08:48
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Didn't even notice that Duke.
And people call Americans ignorant, this shows you know nothing about the US. Bloodthirty Jungle? WTH are you talking about? Wacko Our population isn't out to get each other, don't try to portray us as barbaric.

The answer is to create an environment where violence is not the answer to every problem, this the media must fix on its own first.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 09:46
Originally posted by JanusRook

[QUOTE]
I heard the figure about 80 gun deaths a day in America......thats one right that is being paid for dearly.

That's a nice statistic for a nation with a population 300 million, this comes to 30,000 deaths a year. Which means that .0001 percent of americans will die from gun deaths in any one year.

To put in in perspective half a million people will die every year from cancer, 150,000 of those will be lung cancers so should smoking be banned since it's five times as likely to kill then guns?

And in actuality for reference only 800 deaths a year occur from firearms accidents, the other 29,200 deaths come from intentional acts and shockingly of those more than half 16,000 are used to commit suicide so in actuality every year around 14,000 people are victims of gun violence, or .00005 percent of the population. Yes, guns certainly are causing a dangerous effect on our society.

This again taken into the fact that we have 250 million registered firearms, so a very miniscule amount is actually the cause of a death.

------------------

[QUOTE]

I would first off say that it was never said the 80 deaths a day were firearm accidents. I would also say that 30,000 deaths may seem an nice statistic for you but not for me or my mine, it might be a small fraction of american deaths each year but it is still 30,000 people's family/friends /partners dead.  ALso one does not count the ratio from how many american live in the US but as a ration of US dead that year, i do not know the figures and it seems maccabre so I will leave it there!

As to the car deaths I would say driving dangerously does need to be stopped but that to bring that into a discussion is rather a straw man. We are not discussing what kills the most people in the US just talking about guns which is why I brought up the amount of deaths each day. The cigarette deaths are their responsibilty and as long as folk are not smoking and putting others at risk thats a death caused by the smoker, which in my mind is different from folk being shot.

As a matter of fact I am not, as some may think, particulary anti guns as I do not think that would work at all in the US but I think like others, paranoia and violence has to be dampened down in society (how that is to be done I do not know!)

Edited by New User - 22-Apr-2007 at 10:54
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 10:18
Aydin wrote- If you live in a peaceful law abiding country, you don't need to carry firearms, but in a crazy bloodthirsty jungle like the United States where everybody is mentally unstable.

A statement as deluded and empty headed as this doesn't deserve a response.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:05
Here's some information on the early origins of what would become the 2nd Amendment, if anyone is interested. Without large standing armies for much of it's history, America was dependent on citizen soldiers for much of it's defence.

The Minutemen were created because the colonists in the New World had a constant threat of attack, and, to defend their people, they had to develop a fast response force. The colonies of Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth were confronted with several problems. They were having a very hard time trying to make a living with the little resources they had, while trying to defend themselves against 10,000 Indians from the north. It resorted to a muster law. Every man was required to have a weapon (or if they could not afford one, they could buy one on credit), and all males aged 16 and over automatically became members of the militia. This was basically a miniature version of the old English muster law.

The original English muster law said that one had to be ready to train when called. However, the New Englanders had to modify the muster laws due to the constant threat the Indians were posing (attacks on towns, raids, and ambushes). All troops had to be armed and be ready to take their weapon, cartridges, and all the supplies they would need and be able to assemble at a moments notice to resist the Indian attacks. This was one early variation from the old muster laws. An eleven man committee was presided over by a governor (this was actually the first military staff in the New World), and when governors ordered a signal to be given in case of an Indian attack, the men of the threatened town were required to assemble immediately with their weapons.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by red clay

Aydin wrote- If you live in a peaceful law abiding country, you don't need to carry firearms, but in a crazy bloodthirsty jungle like the United States where everybody is mentally unstable.

A statement as deluded and empty headed as this doesn't deserve a response.

Well, you just gave one. Wink
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 23:55

ALso one does not count the ratio from how many american live in the US but as a ration of US dead that year, i do not know the figures and it seems maccabre so I will leave it there!

Huh, I'm sorry could you clarify this statement, are you saying that US gun deaths don't take in to account gun deaths to American citizens in other countries?

Well of course these deaths don't count in statistics, it's how dangerous guns are in America that the stats are concerned with.

it might be a small fraction of american deaths each year but it is still 30,000 people's family/friends /partners dead.

People die all the time, every three seconds somebody dies in the world and families and loved ones have to deal with that. Gun violence is but a drop in the bucket as far as tragedy is concerned.

paranoia and violence has to be dampened down in society (how that is to be done I do not know!)

Education would do that.

New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 00:10
I meant that one would not compare the ratio of gun deaths to living Americans in the way you did. I would think one should compare the gun deaths to the amount of US deaths rather than in comparison to people living in the US  each year otherwise the statistic does not make sense (in my opinion however)

I did not mean that gun violence was not a backdrop just that it does not matter how other folk die these folk still die through gun violence. It does not make any difference to my point of view if more folk die of car driving there is still a sizeable amount of people dying through gun violence.

As to education solving the problem, you are probably right.  Just wish someone would start educating!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 00:49
You've got your math wrong what you should have done is: considering that the average life expectancy in the US is around 75 years each American has (30,000x75)/300,000,000 chances to die of fire arms. But then again this is not ok I don't have the exact figure but I think we can safely assume that from 3 to 10 times more people are more or less severely injured by fire arms than the number of those killed so you get (I'm only multiplying the number of actual agressions and I've used the medium number) (75x(800+16,000+14000x6.5))/300,000,000=0,027 ie 2,7% to have one day a more or less severe incident with guns during its lifetime Of course it is too rough a calculation to be really significant but if you take it as a base and remember that some are much more likely than others to have such a problem, you'll realize that you do have a significant issue here.

Easy: outlaw cancer

Yes but the entire economy's based on cars, so it is a price to pay for obvious and gigantic returns, if anything how many lives are saved by ambulances? And how many lives are saved by guns every years?

These figures can be found in this week Economist.

Considering that most of the death in question come from two types of weapons: repetitive rifles and handguns which in turn represent less than the quarter of the weapons owned in the US

Not me, it gives me hope that there might be much needed change in the government, and as history has shown (unfortunately) the quickest way to change is through violent action.
I'm getting think and tired of the argument: during the Independence War miliciamen did most of the job blablabla. So here are some remarks:
1) As proved in Iraq, Afghanistan and co the weapon of guerillieros nowaday is the roadside bomb. So if you want to be consistant ban guns (which are consistantly used by gangster-like organization and legalize C4 that would be much more useful to destroy a dictatorial regime than a dozen of M16.
2) If you take the Italian history, this country too had fought its way to existence as did Greece but it has also experience that weapons are more often used by a part of the people against another part than against the government (the two countries had a nasty civil war from 1943 to 1947 for Italy and from 1944 to 1949 for Greece).
3) Considering that 3/4 of the weapons have more to do with hunting and personal protection than actual streetfight the argument doesn't stand.
4) So far the organized groups using fire arms in the US have been all but democratic. Between the black panthers and the KKK you have a nice bunch of freedom fighters.

But then you get into dangerous issues, by that statement one could argue that abortion should be adjusted in the constitution.....different moralities in different cultures affect the laws of the nation of that culture.
??????????????? So don't ever change the constitution because someone someday could also change it with bad intentions?

A right to bear arms, should be a fundamental right of every nation.
Says who?

All citizenry should be taught on how to defend their homes, their families and their rights.
You may have a point here. But there is a difference between defending your home and owning a gun. Once more would you kill to save your TV HD?

Even if such defense is against their own government, it is the duty of all nations to instruct all responsible adults in the art of defense.
Once more yes but defence has nothing to do with guns. At least not necessarily.

To this end they should be instructed in the usage of modern military weapons so that if another nation or group invades they can use this knowledge to plan accordingly (not just how to shoot but what tactics an enemy might employ against you).

Yes very useful for the US. You never know the Canadian hordes are a constant threat for the nation's security

However this shouldn't be the main function since defense also requires preparation and maintainence of infrastructure (roads, communications, electricity) so that the defenders are not crippled if war might strike.
Are you preaching for a country of McGivers?

Also they should be instructed on the means with which to defend themselves from their own legal system and should have the right to meet force with force if they are proved to be in the right.
In my opinion basic teaching in legal actions and jurisprudence would be 99,99% more useful.

As an aside approved guns should also be used in the conservation of animal species and their habitats, for the purposes of culling overextended populations.
Approved. Although I'm not quite sure that (as 90% of the Americans live in urban areas) shooting at rats, insects and pigeons may not meet a very impressive success

In this manner I believe Denmark would be best served by allowing a right to bear arms.
Yes to defeat the invading Swedes.
Cull the population of Somali immigrants
At assassinate the king because he worthes it

I think teaching people how to read and giving them the means to be competitive in the global labour market is more important than teaching them how to fight
I am a free donkey!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 01:53
Yes very useful for the US. You never know the Canadian hordes are a constant threat for the nation's security

We have our hockey sticks sharpened in anticipation of the day the U.S. government rounds up all the weapons.Big%20smile

Edited by DukeC - 23-Apr-2007 at 01:54
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 04:06

You've got your math wrong what you should have done is: considering that the average life expectancy in the US is around 75 years each American has (30,000x75)/300,000,000 chances to die of fire arms.

Chances? Injuries? I was merely listing what I had facts for and that was gun related deaths. I will give you that there are more gun related woundings, but I don't see how anyone can base a solid arguement on conjectures and guesses instead of facts. You can't supppose that people will have the oppurtunity to die from firearms and use that to show how dangerous guns are.

Then the solution to gun control is outlawing gunshot wounds by that logic.

if anything how many lives are saved by ambulances? And how many lives are saved by guns every years?

I am sure that the police force will tell you guns save peoples lives everyday. Of course that too is conjecture since you can't quantify how many times something didn't happen.

1) As proved in Iraq, Afghanistan and co the weapon of guerillieros nowaday is the roadside bomb. So if you want to be consistant ban guns (which are consistantly used by gangster-like organization and legalize C4 that would be much more useful to destroy a dictatorial regime than a dozen of M16.

Yes because a proper militia consists of 'peasants from the hills' who haphazardly throw weapons of destruction and mayhem as a form of antagonism. Uh, no, I want everyman to be able to become like a trained soldier, that is you don't target civilians, something that guerrila bombers don't do.

2) If you take the Italian history, this country too had fought its way to existence as did Greece but it has also experience that weapons are more often used by a part of the people against another part than against the government (the two countries had a nasty civil war from 1943 to 1947 for Italy and from 1944 to 1949 for Greece).

Then penalize the use of weapons outside of their proper uses, if you kill someone in a gang war add another twenty years to the sentence.

3) Considering that 3/4 of the weapons have more to do with hunting and personal protection than actual streetfight the argument doesn't stand.

You don't believe when people can't rely on the government, they won't need to hunt or protect themselves?

4) So far the organized groups using fire arms in the US have been all but democratic. Between the black panthers and the KKK you have a nice bunch of freedom fighters.

And if either the black panthers or the KKK get enough power behind them then they will have earned the right to rule the US and as long as the Constitutional rights are guarenteed and enforced then there will be no reason to revolt against them.

??????????????? So don't ever change the constitution because someone someday could also change it with bad intentions?

No if you change the constitution make it consistent. If you change something because it is "dated" then something else could be considered "dated."

The crazy thing about the constitution is that the rules are very very simple and succinct. 90% of it details procedures and very few portions deal with individual rights. But those that do are considered unalterable in the US, or would you feel it's okay for the government to close down newspapers like in Zimbabwe, since the government can provide all the news.

A right to bear arms, should be a fundamental right of every nation.
Says who?

Look at my definition of the right to bear arms in my response to Northman as to why the Danes should have that right.

You may have a point here. But there is a difference between defending your home and owning a gun. Once more would you kill to save your TV HD?

I said homes not property. You should not shoot someone just because they are stealing your TV, but if while caught stealing your TV they pull a weapon on you or threaten your well-being or that of anyone else, you are well within your rights to shoot them.

Once more yes but defence has nothing to do with guns. At least not necessarily.

Exactly but guns are a tool useful in defense. You split a log without an axe but an axe does a better job.

Yes, because Canada will always be the nation it is today. And there's no way that Mexico could ever fall into a military coup. And in a few years when China overtakes America, there's no way an international incident could lead to an American invasion....

Are you preaching for a country of McGivers?

No I'm preaching a country of educated, prepared individuals. I learned many things that dealt with similar issues when I was in the boy scouts, and that was an hour of training every week, remember a militia doesn't have to learn everything in a day. It's a lifetime commitment.

In my opinion basic teaching in legal actions and jurisprudence would be 99,99% more useful.

And I agree that this should be expanded on in the school systems, but not necessarily in militia training. In fact, on second thought all the legal stuff should be required learning in schools, this would open up more time for practical training.

Approved. Although I'm not quite sure that (as 90% of the Americans live in urban areas) shooting at rats, insects and pigeons may not meet a very impressive success

You do understand that people travel to rural and wilderness areas to hunt right?

Yes to defeat the invading Swedes.

You never know what those swedes are up to, they are a very crafty people.....

Cull the population of Somali immigrants

I didn't realize that Somali's were wild animals? And I think that would violate other rights held by the Danish courts.

At assassinate the king because he worthes it

If a king decides to act beyond his station and begins to infringe upon the rights of others, then it is up to the citizens to decide the best way to handle the situation.

I think teaching people how to read and giving them the means to be competitive in the global labour market is more important than teaching them how to fight

Agreed, but it doesn't mean they should be kept defenseless, especially from us raging American hordes.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 08:05
Chances? Injuries? I was merely listing what I had facts for and that was gun related deaths. I will give you that there are more gun related woundings, but I don't see how anyone can base a solid arguement on conjectures and guesses instead of facts. You can't supppose that people will have the oppurtunity to die from firearms and use that to show how dangerous guns are.
Ok ok little mistake on the wording. I didn't mean chance I meant risk. This was just a rapid extrapolation to show you that (in my opinion) your figure was grossly underestimated.

Then the solution to gun control is outlawing gunshot wounds by that logic.
No there is no logic here it was a joke humour. You know a bit like when you say to your wife who's about to undergo a dangerous surgical brain operation: "If you die, I kill you".

I am sure that the police force will tell you guns save peoples lives everyday. Of course that too is conjecture since you can't quantify how many times something didn't happen.
Well I guess you can quantify two things: the costs and benefices of fire weapons (how much money did the insurance companies saved and lost last year due to guns?) or a rough estimate on how many lives have been saved by guns (it would an approximation at 10% but it would give an idea).

Yes because a proper militia consists of 'peasants from the hills' who haphazardly throw weapons of destruction and mayhem as a form of antagonism. Uh, no, I want everyman to be able to become like a trained soldier, that is you don't target civilians, something that guerrila bombers don't do.
You didn't get it I meant against a modern army simple guns have no chances to win, resistance would be a waste of lives (for your information in places like the Low Countries or France during WWII most of the Resistance groups used bombs more than guns, guns were for the hitmen and the parades). You could tell me that a few guns is better than nothing and that they'd allow a well trained milicia to get other types of weapons from the enemies killed with these guns. But this reasoning would be flawed:
1) Why not give more to that militia (RPG, C4, whatever goes boom!)?
2) Why not consider that they could also do just as good with kitchen knives and bows and arrows?
(I know I've begged for the question, sorry)

Then penalize the use of weapons outside of their proper uses, if you kill someone in a gang war add another twenty years to the sentence.
During civil wars, that's very sensible

You don't believe when people can't rely on the government, they won't need to hunt or protect themselves?
Hoy! that's far fetched: I have a gun because if the government goes down I will need to hunt. C'mon but if you live in a city that means gunfights for the last bags of rice and finally cannibal hunts. Future sounds fun.

And if either the black panthers or the KKK get enough power behind them then they will have earned the right to rule the US and as long as the Constitutional rights are guarenteed and enforced then there will be no reason to revolt against them.
It is not what I meant. I meant that so far in the US and in Europe those using  (not owning) guns in organized groups were whereas gangsters, lunatics or terrorists (Rotte Armee Fraktion, Brigate Rossa, Lotta Continua, BBB, Action Directe, IRA, ETA, FLNC in Europe). At the end of the day guns may be used by a freedom fighter against a tyranic government as well as by a wanna-be tyran against a free government Guns have no ideology.

The crazy thing about the constitution is that the rules are very very simple and succinct. 90% of it details procedures and very few portions deal with individual rights. But those that do are considered unalterable in the US, or would you feel it's okay for the government to close down newspapers like in Zimbabwe, since the government can provide all the news.
A very very simple rule can be very very bad.

I said homes not property. You should not shoot someone just because they are stealing your TV, but if while caught stealing your TV they pull a weapon on you or threaten your well-being or that of anyone else, you are well within your rights to shoot them.
I'm not calling anybody a fascist here but let me make my point clearly: ten years ago I've read a letter of a young Italian fascist to his mother comparing his believes with the ones of the resistants he was fighting and at the end he said something like: the difference between them and us is that they are ready to die for their cause and we are ready to kill for our. And killing is the suprem way for you to impose your will on others.
Of course neither of us would like to have to choose between being killed and killing. It doesn't mean either that any person owning a gun is a potential fascist. I know that in some situations I'd be eager to kill but let say that I'd like to make it as difficult as possible.

Exactly but guns are a tool useful in defense. You split a log without an axe but an axe does a better job.
I just don't understand your point.

Yes, because Canada will always be the nation it is today. And there's no way that Mexico could ever fall into a military coup. And in a few years when China overtakes America, there's no way an international incident could lead to an American invasion....
Shall we bet? Are you saying seriously that you are in favour of guns because the Canadians may attack the US one day????

No I'm preaching a country of educated, prepared individuals. I learned many things that dealt with similar issues when I was in the boy scouts, and that was an hour of training every week, remember a militia doesn't have to learn everything in a day. It's a lifetime commitment.
Lets be serious two seconds. My mother's country (France) has been invaded 3 times in 70 years by Germany I can guarantee you that nobody ever needed a gun for at least the last 130 years.
There is even a very simple case: have you seen the battle of Algier about the Algerian Indepedence War? One of the technics of the moujahdeen was to abduct and/or kill French civil servants, businessmen etc most of the French were armed to the teeth, had military experience and were constantly on the watch but this did not really avoid tens of them to be killed.
The problem here is not who was right who wasn't but to realize that even when people are aware of an iminent danger and armed they can rarely defeat the people attacking them.

In fact, on second thought all the legal stuff should be required learning in schools, this would open up more time for practical training.
Do you have any idea of how much this could cost (military training)? If we are optimistic cumulating all the costs lets say $1000 per year and person and considering that a third of the Americans of both sexes would be concerned, that is 1000x90,000,000= $90,000,000,000. 90 billion dollars and I'm concervative it represents just a little bit less than the federal budget for education in 2005!!! (that's something arounf 1% of the US GDP).

You do understand that people travel to rural and wilderness areas to hunt right?
How many? Anyway if all you want to do is to have hunting guns with hunting permits, I'm 100% but it has nothing to do with a militia or personal security.

I didn't realize that Somali's were wild animals? And I think that would violate other rights held by the Danish courts.
(bad) Joke

Eventually there are a few things you don't adress:
1) That there is very very few examples of guerillas succeding without external support. So in case of invasion you can count on the EU to send you 25 stone throwers (respecting the ISO 9000 norms).
2) The principle of any good head of household is a) don't do yourself what others can do better and cheaper than you b) don't allow a single provider to monopolise a product he may abuse the power he acquiered like that. So, don't buy guns for yourself but pay mercenaries (I'm dead serious)
3) The real problem is not gun or no gun it is gun control or guns our of control? I find it amazing that people fearing so much the "big government" are so docile when it come to the big lobby ie NRA.

Edited by Maharbbal - 23-Apr-2007 at 08:18
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>