Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Knights Go on the Crusades?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did Knights Go on the Crusades?
    Posted: 24-May-2010 at 19:28
But, "anachronisms" are my forte'! All of history is full of them! You just need "leadership" to figure them out!

Hail!, Ron!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Tazjet View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tazjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2010 at 21:10
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

"from some little backwater in Europe where little ever changed it was an opportunity for fame and fortune"

If they are from some little backwater where nothing ever changed, how could they afford it? 

I didn't say impoverished back water. That's your assumption.
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 05:14
Then perhaps you should choose terminology that dont inherently imply such things. I'll provide the chopping block if you deliver the hair.

Still the prohibative costs for crusading remain. In the Middle Ages people didnt travel thousands of miles over dangerous terrain, on a journey that had a good chance of killing them, having sold an mortgaged their possessions, to a land they had only ever read/been read to about to help fight an enemy, who once there would probably kill them if the climate or disease didnt first, only to return home again, assuming that journey didnt end them, for fame and plunder. There are better ways of staying at home and doing that.

Also the ideas of pilgrimmage are tied intinsically to crusading. One does not go on a pilgrimage for finacial rewards.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 10:46
I reply to earlier mention.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Maps_of_the_County_of_Edessa

Edessa is sometimes called Odessa! A Russian crusader army, intent upon the conquest of Constantinople and the Empire in general, might well also conquer Odessa, a good sea-port, as part of the conquest however!

Regards,
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 02:52
It's the call of the wild. Wanderlust, the dream of thrills and spills, sheer machismo, fame and glory, the lure of beautiful, exotic-looking foreign females, sweet BS from smoothtalking politicians, yadda yadda yadda.

Same reasons young Yanks from Texas, Louisiana and Arizona sign up for Iraq and Afghanistan today.

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 26-May-2010 at 03:05
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 05:22
To some extent you areright Shield, but its not lure of the material world, its the lure of the spiritual. To walk in the foot steps of the prophets and Christ. Jerusalem being the most important pilgrimmage site to the Christian world. To go there, to see it and to defend it.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 13:03
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

To some extent you areright Shield, but its not lure of the material world, its the lure of the spiritual. To walk in the foot steps of the prophets and Christ. Jerusalem being the most important pilgrimmage site to the Christian world. To go there, to see it and to defend it.

I agree and the fact is that about 50% never made it home and very few came back with any wealth. Dr Madden talks about this on his lecture "God wills it!" I was a bit perplexed when he said the Turks were Indo-European, not true. It began as an armed pilgrimage to basically guard pilgrims and to right a wrong. Meaning to assist the Christians of the east but of course some atrocities were no doubt committed, they were human.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 16:05
Essentially you will find that the reasoning for why knights went on crusade will fall into two schools of thought.

Traditionalists who as shown above espouse the idea of greed and land hungry knights raging across Eastern Cities for loot and plunder to make themselves wealthy and to achieve glory. Runciman, La Monte, Oldenbourg etc

Or

I suppose one might call them revisionists, though the following has been about since the 1970's, that people were motivated by genuine religious belief to undertake a crusade, an act of love or penance no less. Riley-Smith, Madden, Asbridge.

The latter has become increasingly more common amongst acedemics over the past few decades. I for one am convinced by it.
historynut91 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 08:57
i would like to think that they did go on crusade for religious interests and it was probably the main force driving them but surly they must have been lured by secular interests as well such as adventure, fame, land and gold

but ya i believe the main reason for going was spiritual don't forget about how on reaching Syria some pilgrims willingly walked barefoot through the burning desert as penance
"war is delightful to those who have no experience of it"-Erasmus
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 09:51
Seculat interests no doubt played their part, greed always plays its part and once the crusader states are etsblished then the possibilty to make money is always there, merchants from italy lock there to the wealthy entrepots of the Levant. But they arent going on crusade, theyre merchants, there to do business.

It is highly likely that the romances and chansosns that sprung up in the 12th and 13th Centuries would probably have had an impact upon ideas of crusading. As far as I am aware currently no major work discusses that aspect of the literature of the crusades.

Though seculare reasons for crusading always play their part they are in the minority. For the majority genuine religious devotion spurs them along.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2010 at 23:46
i dont know the answer to this BUT, I DO know why the Poles didnt go on the crusades! ... "Duke Leszek the White explained in a long letter to the Pope that neither he nor any self-respecting Polish knight could be induced to go to the Holy Land, where, they had been informed, there was no wine, mead, or even beer to be had."
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2010 at 05:34
lolz, problems on their own borders anyway to keep them busy.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2010 at 14:41
I really enjoyed reading the above opinions! All of them were well presented and well written!

Thanks guys!

But, if I were to take a side? And, I of course, will, then I would suggest that the "cost" of such an adventure, was mostly borne by the "host!", or as the Bible might have stated "The Lord of the Host!"

It was these "high-born" figures who raised the necessary monies, and not their vassals!

For the vast majority of the real fighters (other than the heavily armoured rich knights) were merely going with their "liege lord", because they had no other choice! They had all sworn "fidelity" to their "Lord!"

But, knowing the brutal nature of most of the common man's life, at that time, they also might well have desired a "great adventure", and a "great chance at fame or fortune, or even both?", as they prepared to accompany their "master" into a foreign land, about which they had also heard so many stories, about the women, gold, jewels, etc.! Even the weather in these far places looked wonderful! No great snows, not much rain, etc.!

So, I would suggest, that there is some certainty that some of the great lords of the time, became involved in the crusades out of some religious duty system, but the majority of the entity was not so moved!

That is they were "Indentured" to a "Lord", and only left home because it was their duty to accompany said Lord, while a lot of the rest, really looked forward to the adventure!

Some, very un-noble warriors actually did find fame and fortune with the Lord providing it!

It was to all intents and purposes, a way to enter a "Brave New World!"

Regards,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2010 at 18:45
Feudal system. Where do the lords at the top get their wealth from, the people below them. The cost of crusading though borne by the upper echelons as any from of organisation and logisitcs must be, was also borne by those at the bottom. They have to pay for their own armour, food, horses, weaponry etc aswell as contribute to their feudal overlord who in return will pay some of the costs.

Also how does one explain those at any level of society who wish to go, but independently of their feudal seniors and vasslas.  Just becasue your lord is going doesnt mean that you actually have to. though it may be a wise ideas given the interpersonal relationship nature of a feudal state, taking the cross is a very individualistsic thing. There is actual litigation lain down by the Church on who may go, who may not and to whom one must ask permission.  Men cant go without asking their wives (very little changes it seems LOL). You in turn can go independently of your lord, though their consent is often required.

Also one must account for the numerous people who exist outside such a feudal system. The populations of towns and cities, especially Italy. Afterall the participants of the Childrens Crusade in 1212 drew alot of their numbers from the urbanised regions of NW France and Flanders, whilst the Pesants Crusade of 1095 had a great impetus from the cities of the Rhineland.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2010 at 17:08
Actually DW, who wrote the following;

"Also how does one explain those at any level of society who wish to go, but independently of their feudal seniors and vasslas. Just becasue your lord is going doesnt mean that you actually have to. though it may be a wise ideas given the interpersonal relationship nature of a feudal state, taking the cross is a very individualistsic thing. There is actual litigation lain down by the Church on who may go, who may not and to whom one must ask permission. Men cant go without asking their wives (very little changes it seems ). You in turn can go independently of your lord, though their consent is often required."

My opinion is they followed because of the times! They were no different than slaves, or "slavs!" But, of course, my connection of Slaves and Slavs,is likely to provoke some response!

But, the words are inter-twined, in any event!

At least that is my "Opinion?"

Regards,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2010 at 17:15
Yes the 2 words are intertwined, because its the term used by Carolingians to describe the people of the East, whom they would raid for slaves.

Followed because of the times, how so?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2010 at 19:06
I used these words above;

"My opinion is they followed because of the times!"

And, DW asked; "Followed because of the times, how so?"

Uh? Times then made men have different views towards both their own futures and the future of their "liege" lords!, I would guess!

From the "liege" it might well have been a feeling of "Noblis oblige'?", and from the the "vassal", it was "serendipity?"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/serendipity

I just know, that it works for me!

Thanks for the thought! Maybe I need to work on it?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 30-May-2010 at 19:07
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2010 at 21:41

Wanna know the ultimate etymology of the term 'serendipity'?

Well, in ancient times there were islands in the east, supposedly abundant with gold. The islands included Sri Lanka off the Indian subcontinent, and Sumatra and Java in South East Asia, now forming the main islands of Indonesia.

Now, the ancient Indians called those islands 'Suvarna Dvipa', which in Sanskrit meant 'Golden Islands'. Sometimes they got confused, or they didn't differentiate between a peninsula and an island, and called even the Malay Peninsula as 'Suvarna Dvipa' too.

Indians being Indians, sometimes they drop vowels and shortened 'Suvarna Dvipa' to 'Suvarn Dvip'. Their pronunciation of the consonant 'v' being rather light, sometimes it sounds like a 'w'. So, to the ancient Arab traders - who didn't have a 'v' sound at all in their language - who ventured east a bit later, 'Suvarna Dvipa' ended up sounding more like 'Suwarn Dwip', which a fast talking, loosely pronouncing Indian would have made it sound like 'Saurandwip', which eventually gave rise to the Arabised name of 'Sirandib' for Sri Lanka, which was corrupted further to 'Serendib'.

BTW, the Portuguese may have lifted the intitial 'Siran' in 'Sirandib' and changed it to 'Sailan', from which derived the westernised name 'Ceylon'. Either that, or perhaps they just corrupted the name 'Sri Lankh', a variant of 'Sri Lankha', into 'Sailan'.

Anyway, colonial time British writers later picked up the name 'Serendib' and anglicised it to'Serendip', from which came the terms 'serendipity' and 'serendipitous'. Possibly also, they liked the name due to the intial 'Seren' in it, which perhaps invoked images of serenity, calmness and tranquility in their creative imaginations.Approve

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 30-May-2010 at 22:08
historynut91 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 21:09
Originally posted by Shield-of-Dardania

Wanna know the ultimate etymology of the term 'serendipity'?

Well, in ancient times there were islands in the east, supposedly abundant with gold. The islands included Sri Lanka off the Indian subcontinent, and Sumatra and Java in South East Asia, now forming the main islands of Indonesia.

Now, the ancient Indians called those islands 'Suvarna Dvipa', which in Sanskrit meant 'Golden Islands'. Sometimes they got confused, or they didn't differentiate between a peninsula and an island, and called even the Malay Peninsula as 'Suvarna Dvipa' too.

Indians being Indians, sometimes they drop vowels and shortened 'Suvarna Dvipa' to 'Suvarn Dvip'. Their pronunciation of the consonant 'v' being rather light, sometimes it sounds like a 'w'. So, to the ancient Arab traders - who didn't have a 'v' sound at all in their language - who ventured east a bit later, 'Suvarna Dvipa' ended up sounding more like 'Suwarn Dwip', which a fast talking, loosely pronouncing Indian would have made it sound like 'Saurandwip', which eventually gave rise to the Arabised name of 'Sirandib' for Sri Lanka, which was corrupted further to 'Serendib'.

BTW, the Portuguese may have lifted the intitial 'Siran' in 'Sirandib' and changed it to 'Sailan', from which derived the westernised name 'Ceylon'. Either that, or perhaps they just corrupted the name 'Sri Lankh', a variant of 'Sri Lankha', into 'Sailan'.

Anyway, colonial time British writers later picked up the name 'Serendib' and anglicised it to'Serendip', from which came the terms 'serendipity' and 'serendipitous'. Possibly also, they liked the name due to the intial 'Seren' in it, which perhaps invoked images of serenity, calmness and tranquility in their creative imaginations.Approve
wow thats a mouthfullLOL
"war is delightful to those who have no experience of it"-Erasmus
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 23:28

Well, as long as you don't say it with your mouth already full.Approve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>