Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [21.89%]
3 [1.78%]
63 [37.28%]
29 [17.16%]
4 [2.37%]
0 [0.00%]
14 [8.28%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [2.37%]
15 [8.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Khashayarshah View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Khashayarshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?
    Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 20:47
The most strategic is definitly Ghengis Khan or Kublai khan, or Atilla. As for first, and most influential, it is Cyrus and Dariush.
Who is the real fool? the man who says what to do, or the man that follows him?
Khashayarshah View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khashayarshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 20:49
I think its because im iranian, but i dont like alexander. He conquered one empire when it was at its weakest point and was called the "Great". The Persians conquered The Egyptian empire, the babylonian empire, the medes, and the assyrians to form a HUGE empire, and when it was at a weak spot, alexander conquered it and was a hero for conquering a fallen empire.
Who is the real fool? the man who says what to do, or the man that follows him?
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 09:16
Originally posted by Khashayarshah

The most strategic is definitly Ghengis Khan or Kublai khan, or Atilla. As for first, and most influential, it is Cyrus and Dariush.

firstly Genghis Khan and Kublai khan are from the middle ages and hence invalid. Secondly I't doesn't mater how influential they were just how skilled. Finally Attila the Hun's military abilities and that of the Huns in general is highly overrated, just to sum it all up for Attila: Attila, his Huns and many other "tribes" that formed part of his coalition attacked a Roman empire divided in two and in a steady state of decline for over 200 years from among many other factors Dozens of Barbarian invasions before it. They then preceded to attack the weaker half of this decaying empire and LOST! True they werent conquered but Attilas Hunnic Empire didn't even outlast the Rotting corpse that was the western Roman empire.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 10:04
Originally posted by Praetor

Originally posted by Khashayarshah

firstly Genghis Khan and Kublai khan are from the middle ages and hence invalid. Secondly I't doesn't mater how influential they were just how skilled. Finally Attila the Hun's military abilities and that of the Huns in general is highly overrated, just to sum it all up for Attila: Attila, his Huns and many other "tribes" that formed part of his coalition attacked a Roman empire divided in two and in a steady state of decline for over 200 years from among many other factors Dozens of Barbarian invasions before it. They then preceded to attack the weaker half of this decaying empire and LOST! True they werent conquered but Attilas Hunnic Empire didn't even outlast the Rotting corpse that was the western Roman empire.

Good Point. This is essentially what Khashayarshah is saying about Alexander.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 10:49
Originally posted by Xshayathiya

Good Point. This is essentially what Khashayarshah is saying about Alexander.

To some extent yes, there are a few key differences however as Alexander though attacking a weakened empire, was fighting a united one and most importantly he won.....unlike Attila (Alexander also faced far greater odds than Attila). In Khashayarshah analysis Alexander's achievements in his short life time are compared to the conquests of the entire persian state (admittedly a great deal of this took place under one man:Cyrus). Alexander's other conquests are ignored in the analysis also. Finaly I would like to say that I voted for Hannibal not Alexander and would be more than willing to justify it if you or anyone else asks.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 21:48

Pretty much depends on what one means by greatest, ie most succesful or most talented etc etc.

I voted for Alexander cos he was talented , succesful and his actions had long term effects. Also I do not know enough about Cyrus the Great to vote for him.

I did not vote for Hannibal as if I have a great military leader for my country I would want them to win the war not just the battles. Talent means nothing in war if you don't win in the long run. Scipio spanked his bum and sent him home.
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 07:41
Whoa!!

hard to say, yes, but I have 4 favorites:
                -Alexander the Great
                -Hannibal Barca
                -Julius Caesar
                -Darius the Great

For Other which are not mentioned are:
                      -Antiochus III (Seleucid Empire)
                      -Augustus caesar (Roman Empire)
                      -Vincingetorix (Gaul)
                      -Hamlicar Barca (Carthage)

"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 09:04

Even if we take the subjugation of Asia away from Alexander, the simple fact that he was able to re-conquer Greece, as well as the Thracians and the Illyrians, would still put him atop many of historys greatest military leaders.

Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 14:22
Alexander the Great!!! Tongue
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 17:56
Alexander the Great of macedon greatest Greek of all and one that was the shortest general to have ever graced the field!His legs couldnt reach the floor when he sat on the persian throne and they brought him a table to do it. The persian emperor was one big fellow!
http://www.hoplites.net/
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 02:06
Originally posted by Balian d'Ibelin

For Other which are not mentioned are:
                      -Antiochus III (Seleucid Empire)
                      -Augustus caesar (Roman Empire)
                      -Vincingetorix (Gaul)
                      -Hamlicar Barca (Carthage) 

Augustus Caesar rarely took the field personally the majority of his victories in the civil wars were the result of his general Agrippa's ability, and those of his later years were won by Tiberius, Drusus and Germanicus.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 05:05
Alexander for sheer brilliance without having the natural advantages Cyrus had.
Originally posted by Praetor

Augustus Caesar rarely took the field personally the majority of his victories in the civil wars were the result of his general Agrippa's ability, and those of his later years were won by Tiberius, Drusus and Germanicus.
Yes, he was a politician not a warrior.

Edited by Outis - 13-May-2007 at 05:06
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 02:23
Antiochus The Great of the Seleucid Empire, the 6th Seleucid ruler, should be on that list, becuase he "walked in the footsteps Alexander The Great left". The defeat he recieved at the hand of Pharoah Ptolemy IV of Egypt, in 217 BC, was a defeat that should have completely destroyed/ended the Seleucid Empire as a whole, but it didnt. He held the Empire together.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 08:26
Yes, Antiochus was certainly a capable general, probably better than the likes of Dionysius (who is on the list), however, he did have his downsides. He lost a few battles largely due to impetuousness, as he got a bit carried away with his cavalry pursuits...still, he managed to pull through and win back the war despite losing battles like Raphia.
In my opinion, Selecus was the greater of the two (He and Antiochus), but I am no expert on the subject and am open to objection. Smile

- Knights -
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 08:56
For reasons already mentioned, I will go with Alexander.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 09:12
Originally posted by Outis

Alexander for sheer brilliance without having the natural advantages Cyrus had.

What may I ask are Cyrus's "natural advantages"?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 04:06
The problem with Alexander is we don't actually know what he personally managed and what his generals achieved which he was given credit before. The sources are all from when the cult of personality was in full swing and many of the generals practically need Alexander to tell them how to walk.

Now he could have achieved everything credited but then it begs the question why he was able to choose such poor help.

Personally I'd go for Scipio, he might not be the greatest at set peice battles or being the most dynamic but when it comes to seeing the big picture and stripping a resource base then he couldn't be beaten.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 19:24
Well, he personally managed to lead the Companion Cavalry into battle Tongue
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 19:41
Alexander the Great and Hannibal Barca. I can see strengths in boths:

Alexander had to face overwhelming, which is an understatement, odds to defeat a land that was thought at that time unconquerable the Persian Empire. Not only did he defeat it he down right crushed it at its height. I do believe however, the Persian army was weak. The nicely clothed, sheer numbered Persians are no match for the heavily armoured well trained Greek army as was displayed in Thermompalyae. Still defeating waves of million of Persians with 20,000 men detatched from their homes in Europe fighting a war against the strongest nation in the world, Persia, was amazing to say the least.

Hanibal was a trained general and was fueled by hate for Rome. He knew hot to command his troops and was the best strategic commander of his time, moreso then Alexander. He beat Rome when it was still a young fledgling state but the Roman army was still far superior to the Carthaginian one seeing as how Carthage overly depended on their ships. He had no support and was not fueled by riches but was driven by his emotions. Taking the battle to Rome's turf at that time was unheard of but he beat them in a string of battles. The Battle of Cannae is a testament to this military mastermind.

I choose Alexander because he knew hot to exploit a victory.

As Hannibal's companion Maharbal said, "Hannibal knew how to gain a victory, but did not know how to use it."
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 02:06
Originally posted by andrew

Alexander the Great and Hannibal Barca. I can see strengths in boths:

Alexander had to face overwhelming, which is an understatement, odds to defeat a land that was thought at that time unconquerable the Persian Empire. Not only did he defeat it he down right crushed it at its height. I do believe however, the Persian army was weak. The nicely clothed, sheer numbered Persians are no match for the heavily armoured well trained Greek army as was displayed in Thermompalyae. Still defeating waves of million of Persians with 20,000 men detatched from their homes in Europe fighting a war against the strongest nation in the world, Persia, was amazing to say the least.

Firstly Persia was not at its height when conquered by Alexander but had been in decline for some time. Secondly Alexander had approximately 50,000 men at Guagamela not 20,000 And Its believed that the Persians had 200,000 to 250,000 men not one million men at this battle also (this was the battle where Alexander faced the largest Persian force in his career). However Those are great odds in thier own right though you have (I assume unknowingly) vastly exagerated them.

Originally posted by andrew

I choose Alexander because he knew hot to exploit a victory.

As Hannibal's companion Maharbal said, "Hannibal knew how to gain a victory, but did not know how to use it."

Sigh....once again I hear this misconception supported by this dubius qoute, I feel too lazy to explain this again so I will refer you to a thread that discusses this misconception: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18816&PN=1

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 08-Jun-2007 at 02:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>