Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your best medieval army?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your best medieval army?
    Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 16:37
Yeah and especialy the bashibozuks, who are the cooleast of all
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 05:23
Originally posted by EvilNed

I've done quite a bit of research on Liegnitz, and from what I can tell, the horse archers didn't fare that well against the polish cavalry at all. Remember, there were about 10,000 men on both sides, and it was in no way an easy victory for the mongols. Also, the mongols had MUCH more horse archers than the polish had heavy cavalry, so any such comparison cannot be made. I believe it's basicly up to the terrain and commander of who'd win between these two.

The newest Polish book about the battle of Leignitz (Legnica in Polish) claims that there were only 3800-4300 Christians (including 250 Polish knights-lancers from Silesia, 36 Templar knights, tens knights from Little and Grand Poland, tens 'guest'-knights and some mercenaries) vs less than 10 000 Mongols. Alltogether Polish army had not more than 2300 cavalry (including only a few hunders knights-lancers).

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 00:23
[QUOTE=EvilNed]

I've done quite a bit of research on Liegnitz, and from what I can tell, the horse archers didn't fare that well against the polish cavalry at all. Remember, there were about 10,000 men on both sides, and it was in no way an easy victory for the mongols. Also, the mongols had MUCH more horse archers than the polish had heavy cavalry, so any such comparison cannot be made. I believe it's basicly up to the terrain and commander of who'd win between these two.

This doesnt make sense how can the horse archers be innefective when the mongols won the battle? And where did you get the fact that it wasnt an easy victory for the mongols >there plan worked perfectly ,

only substantial casualties in the mongol invasion of europe were suffered at Sajo river.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 01:03

Originally posted by BigL

And where did you get the fact that it wasnt an easy victory for the mongols >there plan worked perfectly

I agree with EvilNed. There is a primary source (Hystoria Tartarorum) which claims that:

'Tartari uero ulterius procedented in Zlaziam cum Henrico duce tunc temporis christiannissime eiusdem terre in prelio sunt congressi, at dum iam, sicut ipsi fratri Benedicto refebant, fugere uoluissent, ex insperate christianorum cunei ad fugam subito sunt conuersi'

So even Mongols/Tartars claimed that they wanted to retreat from the battle. They didn't do it only because Christians did it before them. It was a suprise for Mongols but thanks to this they won the battle.

It shows that Mongol army had a hard time and it certainly wasn't an easy victory.

BTW, Mongols outnumbered Christians in this battle - especially their mounted archers outnumbered Christain knights-lancers many times.

Edited by ataman
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 05:01

Of course the Mongol horse archers wanted to retreat from battle ,THERE HORSE ARCHERS  ,after retreating from the knight charge the mounted archers lured the knights away from their infantry and the heavy cavalry of the mongols which was waiting in a forest crushed the knights who were aimlessly chasing horse archers

Outcome- Horse archers would have suffered very few casualties as they didnt engage in melee combat.Only enemy archery fire would cause some casualties. +Mongol heavy cavalry charged a knight charge which had long lost its momentum and lost its formatation.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 07:43

Of course the Mongol horse archers wanted to retreat from battle ,THERE HORSE ARCHERS  ,

BigL, this source doesn't claim that they were 'Mongol horse archers', who wanted retreat from the battle. But they were Mongols (meaning Mongol army) who wanted do it. So it is not a description of a Mongol tactic (simulated escape).

Edited by ataman
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 13:20
I would claim such a fact: the Samurai, in an ambush would crush Mongols.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 18:31

The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic thats why they said the mongols were wanting to run away .there was no feirce melee combat involved the european were routed and theres no reason the mongols would rout, its obviously propaganda or misunderstanding of mongolian false retreat thinking its cowardice.

This coming from an army which has never ran from battle even thought its fought countless enemys across the world.If the poles are so scary why didnt they take over the world

Edited by BigL
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 00:18

The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic thats why they said the mongols were wanting to run away. there was no feirce melee combat involved the european were routed and theres no reason the mongols would rout, its obviously propaganda or misunderstanding of mongolian false retreat thinking its cowardice.

This coming from an army which has never ran from battle even thought its fought countless enemys across the world.

BigL, I am aware of imperfection of primary sources which describe this battle. But if there is a source which states something (e. g. that Mongol army wanted retreat) and there is no primary source which negates this fact, a historian can't ignore this source which state something. In the other case, a historian will say that it is impossible to say anything about the battle.

BigL, if you know any primary source which negates 'Hystoria Tartarorum', please write it here. If you don't know such a source, write that your opinion about the battle is only a speculation - your speculation.

If the poles are so scary why didnt they take over the world 

I can write you tens reasons. For example - Compare amounts of both armies at Legnica. Polish army at Legnica had about 3800-4300 men. In Polish terms it was a big army. And now Mongol army. There was 1 tumen (less than 10 000 men) in the battle. 1 tumen was only a small part of the whole Mongol army. Even if the Poles had winning at Legnica, they would have defended (at most) Poland. But there was no a chance to conquer anything. Polish army had no a chance to win with for example 10 tumens of Mongol army. It is obvious, isn't it?

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 00:25

The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic

It is not true that European troops 'were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic'. European troops not only knew this tactic, but also used them. If you want I will write examples.

there was no feirce melee combat involved the european were routed and theres no reason the mongols would rout

BigL, can you support your opinion by any primary source?

Edited by ataman
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 15:19

Originally posted by rider

anyone can crush everyone in an ambush...its an ambush!!

Originally posted by ataman

It is not true that European troops 'were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic'. European troops not only knew this tactic, but also used them. If you want I will write examples.

go on.

Edited by Temujin
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 01:19

Examples of simulated retreat:

- Battle of Unstura 933 (German soldiers of Henryk I vs Hungarians). Henryk I simulated retreat and won.

- Battle of Psie Pole 1109 (the Poles vs Germans). Part of the Poles ('Slezanie') simulated retreat (a fragment of Wincenty Kadlubek's chronicle 'Tymczasem z tylu wyskakuje pokazny zastep Slezan, ktorzy zwracaja ku sobie znaczna liczbe nieprzyjaciol, UMYSLNIE UDAJA UCIECZKE i odciagajac tamtych od innych oddzialow, zwabiaja ich coraz dalej, zwracaja sie przeciw zwabionym a gwaltownym uderzeniem oszczepow z ukosa wystajace ich dlugie wlocznie rownoczesnie potracaja i w nich godza.')

- Battle of Naklo 1256 (the Poles vs the Poles).

European troops knew a tactic of simulated reatret very good. In the battle of Trutina 1110 (the Poles vs Czechs) the Poles didn't chase (immediately) defeated Czechs because they thought that Czechs only simulated reatreat. In the battle of Carcano (Germans + Czechs vs Italians), Italian cavalry which defeated enemy, didn't chase enemies because: 'Mediolanenses viderent, cogitaverunt eum insidias posuisse et fugam simulasse, et propterea non tam cito persecuti sunt eos'.

Before Mongol invasion of Europe, European troops fought with 'eastern enemy' many times. Wars with Hungarians, crusades etc., were enough to learn a tactic of simulated retreat.

Edited by ataman
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 08:58
The Byzantine Army ("Romaikon Strateuma") 950-1025.
The most organised army at that time.
Powerful ,using so much different tactics and weapons and successful.
Greek Fire throwers,Klibanarioi,Skoutatoi,Siege machines,Cataphracts,Navy,Varangian Guards!!!
What more do u need?

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 12:37
Originally posted by Temujin

anyone can crush everyone in an ambush...its an ambush!!

Are you sure? I have heard of failed ambushed too. ... SO you can fail an ambush too, but I bet the Samurai to crush Mongols... even though Mongols were blahblahblah...

Now, why didn't  the Poles conquer the world? But why should they have done so?`They had much land, Poland was during the Medieval and Imperial Ages one of the largest kingdom, the population was low, and even if they could have beaten any armies in the west, which they could, then why should they fight another Catholic person? Poles were very religious. Europeans thought only hell was in the east, so Russians went there... The wars with Germans are another topic ofcourse, but in most times the religion was a war stopper for Poles...

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:32
Originally posted by ataman

Examples of simulated retreat:

- Battle of Unstura 933 (German soldiers of Henryk I vs Hungarians). Henryk I simulated retreat and won.

- Battle of Psie Pole 1109 (the Poles vs Germans). Part of the Poles ('Slezanie') simulated retreat (a fragment of Wincenty Kadlubek's chronicle 'Tymczasem z tylu wyskakuje pokazny zastep Slezan, ktorzy zwracaja ku sobie znaczna liczbe nieprzyjaciol, UMYSLNIE UDAJA UCIECZKE i odciagajac tamtych od innych oddzialow, zwabiaja ich coraz dalej, zwracaja sie przeciw zwabionym a gwaltownym uderzeniem oszczepow z ukosa wystajace ich dlugie wlocznie rownoczesnie potracaja i w nich godza.')

- Battle of Naklo 1256 (the Poles vs the Poles).

European troops knew a tactic of simulated reatret very good. In the battle of Trutina 1110 (the Poles vs Czechs) the Poles didn't chase (immediately) defeated Czechs because they thought that Czechs only simulated reatreat. In the battle of Carcano (Germans + Czechs vs Italians), Italian cavalry which defeated enemy, didn't chase enemies because: 'Mediolanenses viderent, cogitaverunt eum insidias posuisse et fugam simulasse, et propterea non tam cito persecuti sunt eos'.

Before Mongol invasion of Europe, European troops fought with 'eastern enemy' many times. Wars with Hungarians, crusades etc., were enough to learn a tactic of simulated retreat.

before the battle of Kalka  River, theMongol army retreated several kilometers beore the Russian/Kypchak army, and the Kypchaks as well as Russians must have been much more familiar with Steppe tactics than Poles or Hungarians because this is where they lived and fought! nevertheless they fell for it. just because Poles use it once that doesn't mean they will remember this forever. there is nothing like a common peoples consciousness like ants or bees, thats maybe what Communists believe in...

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 18:32

Now, why didn't  the Poles conquer the world? But why should they have done so?`They had much land, Poland was during the Medieval and Imperial Ages one of the largest kingdom, the population was low, and even if they could have beaten any armies in the west, which they could, then why should they fight another Catholic person? Poles were very religious. Europeans thought only hell was in the east, so Russians went there... The wars with Germans are another topic ofcourse, but in most times the religion was a war stopper for Poles...

The answer is simple. Poland was never able to conduct agressive policy against its neighbours. The only times when Poland was an agressor was when polish king had strong power over the country and people - in 10th and 11th century.(EG. Boleslaus I the Brave conquered Kievan Rus, Bohemia and eastern Germany). Later internal opposition was always strong enough to make ruler busy inside the country. During the whole history king was loosing power and had to be really a strong person to make things working as he wanted, like Stephen Bathory. First polish rulers like Mieszko I and Boleslav the Brave were warior kings who were invading its neighbours, the society was militarised but almost all their descendants had to work hard to keep their arse on the throne. They  had to worry about foreign rulers who were trying to aid and strenghten opposition against them. Since 1138 Poland was not a united kingdom but a conglomerate of small duchies which were fighting one against each other. When in 1320 Wladislaus the Short reunited kingdom, he had only a little piece of the land which had Boleslaus the Wrymouth when was dieing in 1138. He and his son Casimir the Great were working hard to gain more land but after Casimir's death the crown passed to Hungarians who didnt care for the borders of Poland at all and were buying internal peace by giving power to opposition. As i said before, for most of history Poles were so much concerned about its internal policy that were not able to act in any way outside their kingdom. Even later when Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania was a kingdom-republic which had the largest territory in Europe, it wasnt able to act agressive against neighbours because internal opposition was able to stop any plans of the kings who were dreaming about becoming conquerors. Like in the case of king Wladislaus IV, who spent his life making plans of invasions against neighbours and building large naval power but wasnt able to convict the parliament to support his plans. He was dreaming about conquering Ottoman Empire, Russia and Sweden but was able to achieve nothing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wladislaus_IV

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 21:02

before the battle of Kalka  River, theMongol army retreated several kilometers beore the Russian/Kypchak army, and the Kypchaks as well as Russians must have been much more familiar with Steppe tactics than Poles or Hungarians because this is where they lived and fought! nevertheless they fell for it. just because Poles use it once that doesn't mean they will remember this forever. there is nothing like a common peoples consciousness like ants or bees, thats maybe what Communists believe in...

Temujin, my point was that European armies (not only Polish one) knew this tactic and understood it. It means that commanders and chroniclers were able to proper interpret enemy's activity.

Look, that it was my reply to BigL's statement: 'The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic thats why they said the mongols were wanting to run away '

Another subject is - if sombody knows enemy's tactic, why he (sometimes) is not enough careful to avoid a suprise. We can talk about it if you want. Anyway I don't agree with your opinion that if sombody in some battle was suprised by a tactic of simulated retreat it is a proof that he didn't know this tactic. There are examples from 17th c. that Polish army was suprised by Tartars and their simulated retreat, although this tactic was a standard tactic of the Tartars (and the Poles) in that time and although the Poles had few hundreds years of experience of fighting with the Tartars.

Edited by ataman
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 15:49
lets just say Henry was a bad commander and end the discussion here, we all know this tactic is as old as warfare itself but not every man who leads troops is a genius.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 22:41

not every man who leads troops is a genius.

I agree

lets just say Henry was a bad commander

Temujin, in fact historians aren't certain why Christians retreated from the battle. If we will believe Dlugosz's chronicle, we can see that the reason of the retreat was outside Henryk's. It means that he wasn't a bad commander.

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 05:01

I admit not all european armies are not unnacustommed to the fake retreat, as roman armies have used it and at the battle of hastings it was used.I know the hungarians knew of tactic, facing many steppe armies.

One Question historians ask today is why even when most of the mongols enemys know very well of the Fake retreat do they still fall for it?

I think of 2 reasons.1 is superior mongol archery caused the troops to be so fustrated as to lose their discipline.2.The mongols willingness to engage in melee combat with their light cavalry.Thus making the trap more beleivable.It seems at leignitz the light cavalry of mongols suffered from its over willingness to engage in melee combat with knights.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>