Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Allied war crimes during World War II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allied war crimes during World War II
    Posted: 14-Feb-2013 at 19:50
Originally posted by Azita

German POW in England were used a "slave" labour and even built Wembley stadium.
Maybe it would have been better if you scrutinized your evidence somewhat closer, Azita. That way you might not have mixed up a German road gang with those people constructing Wembley stadium.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2013 at 20:10
Oh? i did indicate i wasn't sure when i originally posted.

from the BBC web page sited ( perhaps you didn't mange to read it)

"The stadium authorities applied for German labour and are now employing 44 Germans out of a total of 123.""

"their labour would be deployed on building construction and the road leading to Wembley's hallowed turf."
"They are however, employing German Prisoners of War on the preparatory work."

Are you nick picking to side step from the  war crimes mentioned?

but, sigh ok, no German POW were used in building Wembley stadium, the BBC have it all wrong.

Thank you very much for this input, now, what are your thoughts on the Rhine meadow camps and the Dachau killings?
I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true 'The empty vessel makes the greatest sound'.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2013 at 22:58

Oh? i did indicate i wasn't sure when i originally posted.

from the BBC web page sited ( perhaps you didn't mange to read it)

"The stadium authorities applied for German labour and are now employing 44 Germans out of a total of 123.""

"their labour would be deployed on building construction and the road leading to Wembley's hallowed turf."
"They are however, employing German Prisoners of War on the preparatory work."

Are you nick picking to side step from the  war crimes mentioned?

but, sigh ok, no German POW were used in building Wembley stadium, the BBC have it all wrong.
Considering what I had said in my last post, Azita, does it sound likely I hadn't read the BBC web page, while questioning you upon it? Also maybe you should have read my other posts on this thread to see if I had tried to deflect away from the possibility of allied war crimes before questioning if I might be trying to side step such issues.
Anyway, Azita, where were we, oh yes, the BBC. No, the BBC have it perfectly right. Wembley way is a part of the building construction, but not the stadium itself. The BBC has an audio of a documentry on BBC radio 4, and at the bottom of that BBC article you said you read has a link on BBC iplayer, and here is the link to it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b00rb1xr
However I understand how people maybe not able to listen to it, so I have recorded a short section from it which explains all you need to know.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 14-Feb-2013 at 23:00
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 05:30
so your point is simply that the German POW forced labour, did NOT build any part of the stadium itself, rather the road to it? is that right?

Thats a very important difference indeed, vital to the fact that Britain used German POW as forced (slave) labour.
Myself being an "adopted" Briton, this crucial difference has set my mind at rest.

So to ask again, what are your thoughts on the Rhine meadow camps and the summary execution of German camp guards?

I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true 'The empty vessel makes the greatest sound'.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 08:05
Why does the execution of the SS men who guarded death camps bother you so much? They deserved to die for the years of abuse they inflicted on the Jews
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 08:18
Originally posted by Nick1986

Why does the execution of the SS men who guarded death camps bother you so much? They deserved to die for the years of abuse they inflicted on the Jews

Now you see. i think that is why so many members get upset with me, they think they can read my actually opinions into what i post. As i have often said. i don't often state my "own" opinions.

I haven't said i thought it was "wrong", merely that they are war crimes, if judged by the same standards as the German "crimes".

FWIW, i fully sympathise with the US troops executing the guards, i suspect it would even have been a cathartic experience for them.

As this is a history forum, i try to get a discussion about events going , rather than just post  dry facts.

i don't care on a personal level that 1000s of Germans were shot without trial, or staved to death in concentration camps.
I do find the hypocrisy rather irritating, along with the blinkered denial that so often occurs.
BUT that is where the debate gets fun, a challenge, mental exercise.

Its an anonymous internet forum, why do so many get so upset, its almost as if they actually care what other totally anonymous people think.

Azita
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 08:50

so your point is simply that the German POW forced labour, did NOT build any part of the stadium itself, rather the road to it? is that right?

Thats a very important difference indeed, vital to the fact that Britain used German POW as forced (slave) labour.
Myself being an "adopted" Briton, this crucial difference has set my mind at rest.

My point is, Azita, that presenting an argument with evidence which turns out to differ from how you're trying to present it, is liable to undermine that argument you're struggling with.
As for POWs taking part in work, what is your understanding as to the rights and wrongs of those who are not offices taking part in such activities? While you're at it, Azita, can you quantify the use of the word "slave" in the way you've used it in terms of the way the POWs were generally treated?

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 15-Feb-2013 at 08:51
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 08:55
Azita, to state that you think something is a war crime is an opinion.
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 09:26
Oh dear! yes as i confessed ( hail mary) i was wrong about Wembley, was the road not the building.
But still was German forced labour used. Which was MY point.

As for the term slave, well i mostly used it in quotation marks, so i hopped that would indicate a degree of uncertainty over its use.

NOW im not going to be aggressive and post the Geneva conventions, you can look them up as easily as i can.
Questions:-
 were the German POW paid for their work?
Were they free to leave?
Could they refuse to work without consequence?

I had mostly asked questions regarding war crimes, hence the question marks at the end......
But stating that something IS a war crime might well be an opinion, just that i have never said it was one i held.

Here FWIW is my opinion............. ready?..............

I dont care..................... but as Germans had caused so much destruction, perhaps it was only right they mended some of it or built something.

The Germans working in England and the USA were damn lucky compared to those in French or Soviet "care".

the Germans in the Rhine camps, were treated with deliberate cruelty, many perhaps would have deserved this, MOST would not have.
It was against the conventions and was not the act of a magnanimous enemy.
BUT as with all the war, there was no manual, how would "we" have done things?  Much worse i suspect.

Azita

Now, what is your opinion?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 09:43
Azita, the specific part of the Geneva convention you need as it stood prior to the 1949 ratification, plus a link will be fine, if it helps you to put over what you're trying to convey.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 15-Feb-2013 at 09:44
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 09:59
My Brain hurts.
The 3rd conventions were in 1929(?)

But as a side, i wonder if that was why  the English sent the last German POW back before the 4th conventions in 1949?

As for what im trying to convey, err well, I think i need to lay down for a bit, that kitchen table still free..?

Hah!  1st Wembley built (in part) by Germans, 2nd Wembley built by Poles    Tongue Wacko

Azita.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 10:25
On the other hand, Azita, the summer olympics were in 1948, so I'm guessing it was thought not to be reasonable to have them keep working on the Wembley way as it was finished.Smile
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2013 at 15:21

guys turkmen ss who surrendered in  Padua and La Spezia get 20 years slave labor fromYalta Conference part of them returned to soviet from iran part of them sended to ukrain those who work as slave labor in ukraine   and later abandend there never get back to home
im going to make Topics abut turkmens in ww2

yomud are free people
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2013 at 15:31
Originally posted by Nick1986

But I am sure you know, that often these guys were not the former KZ guards, cos those had escaped, but were soldiers and boys from the neighbourhood, the Wehrmacht or whatever, who were commanded in the last days of the war to keep the order in the KZs untill the allies arrive.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2013 at 15:36
turkmen enter the war as soviet effective  military division they fight in so many battle in kursk in kiev i dont know how many turkmen sended to war but we know turkmen division sufferd 70000 dead Casualties while the turkmen Population at start of war was 1.300.000 they just pulled out b4 the berlin cuz of large Casualties in the war some of the turkmen caught by nazi guys they put to use in franc and italy as turkmen ss for fight against allied force u know nazi guys kill half of soviet pow what choice do they have but accpt to join turkmen ss ?? after war they get 20 labor slave that wasn't justice

Edited by yomud - 12-Apr-2013 at 15:43
yomud are free people
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2013 at 16:57
There are different Turkmenian troops, first those who were integrated into the Wehrmacht and then the "Osttürkischer Waffen-verband der SS".
The units of the Wehrmacht were indeed often recruited from the POWs since 1942 as Legions, the less good soldiers integrated into Labour-batallions. But it would be wrong to claim all were POWs, there were as well volunteers who wanted to fight the bolshevists.
Since 43, but especially in 44 and 45 the SS started to create turkmenic units, too and tried to recruit volunteers, even with help of muslim leadrs.
Those units were mainly used for security and anti-partisan missions, e.g. were they involved in the Warsaw uprise as part of the troops of von dem bach and the Dirlewanger unit.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2013 at 01:32
i dont get it :d are u telling me they travel from turkmenistan to germany to fight against red army ?? or they just join nazi when they get caught by nazi ?? can u tellme more about them plz ?? have they involved them self in war crime ??

Edited by yomud - 13-Apr-2013 at 01:35
yomud are free people
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2013 at 06:00
Originally posted by yomud

i dont get it :d are u telling me they travel from turkmenistan to germany to fight against red army ?? or they just join nazi when they get caught by nazi ?? can u tellme more about them plz ?? have they involved them self in war crime ??

well, there are two main groups. The one as you mentioned, were POWs, Turkic people who hated the Bolsheviki and were eager to fight them or simply Soviet POWS of Turkic origin who wanted to escape the German POW camps. The second group are volunteers from the occupied territories, who hoped to become independent from the Soviet Union after the war. They were Azeri, Balkarians, Karatshals, Komyks, Turkmenians etc. Turkic people from territories outside the German zone usually were former POWs, so Kirgisians Turkmenians, Uighurs, tadjiks etc.

Cos these troops were usually used for anti-partisan missions we have to expect, that they were heavily involved in german war crimes. During these missions were usually the most victims civilians. I wrote it in another thread, about the Polish Home Army.

But these troops were as well target of war crimes as well, perhaps as well as reaction to own war crimes and that they changed the side. In France there is a Rbert Galley , who is suspected in war crimes against hundreds of germans and Ostlegionen, too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Galley_%28politician%29. He shall have executed or burned POWs and WIA.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2013 at 14:37
well war crime was new for me where did u read about them ?? i just know they used for watch camp building  and they mostly on duty with out bullets cuz german fear they may shot german soldiers ofc in the time when allied get close they were given ammunition in Yalta Conference their known crime was betraying mother land (which given to those who run away from army ) and fight along side of germans for this they get 20 year  slave working i didnt know they used in poland this was new 2 and i think germens send them to italy so they could take them away from red army they abandoned in Padua and La Spezia
yomud are free people
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2013 at 17:14
Since autumn 1942 these Infantry btallions of soviet nations existed. One year later around 53 batallions exsted 14 turkmenian and 8 azeri ones. They were used as well at front units. But the military success of these units was low, there was a great number of desertation. So in 1943 it was decided to send them to the west. The most well-known unit is the 162. Turkmenian Infantry division.
They were send to Italy, where they cred about partisan attacks. One of my grandfathers was in that days at the 71 ID, which fought together in Northern italy against partisans.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>