Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worst U.S. President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst U.S. President
    Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 09:47

I don't believe he is a Nazi.  In fact, if he were, he would not want the Japs to die off.  Let's instead look at it from a different point of view.

What if you were on a ship at Pearl harbor the day it was bombed?  Chances are you would have a lot of resentment toward the Japs.  If you talked to some of them today, some would say all is forgiven and some would say they cannot forgive those bastards.  Granted he should not have said that here, but we don't need to call him a Nazi.

Tobodai:

BBC is the most anti-American and anti-Bush news out there. 

Pikeshot:

I don't expect to convince them.  Oh well...

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 10:03
Originally posted by Thegeneral

I don't believe he is a Nazi.  In fact, if he were, he would not want the Japs to die off.  Let's instead look at it from a different point of view.

What if you were on a ship at Pearl harbor the day it was bombed?  Chances are you would have a lot of resentment toward the Japs.  If you talked to some of them today, some would say all is forgiven and some would say they cannot forgive those bastards.  Granted he should not have said that here, but we don't need to call him a Nazi.

Tobodai:

Pikeshot:

"He would not want the Japs to die off"? He just said, and I'm quoting:  

We could and should have fought the war Japan wanted to fight and dropped enough atomic bombs to have eraced the japenese race from the face of the planet.

What is that? Look, it's one thing to debate the merits of the A-bomb to end the war; it's quite another thing to advocate the extermination of a nation.

As for BBC, they are simply objective. They are very, very far from being simply an anti-Bush news organization. Don't forget that they are the national television of the UK, which has been a staunch supporter of the US. You should see the kind of angle that French and German televisions present, let alone muslim tv stations. I can see how if you only watch Fox News, BBC seems biased, but that's only because Fox News is so biased itself, and so far to the right, that any other TV seems anti-Bush by comparison.

Edited by Decebal
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

blake79 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote blake79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 10:41

When Japan made the decision to go to war in the 1930s and began it's policy of ethnic cleansing and mass geniocide in China and the rest of Asia with the consent and aproval of her beloved Emperor Japan comitted suicide.

When I said we should have whipped the Japaness race from the face of the earth I was given an example of the thinking of most in the west at the time of Japans surrender. Not my own opinon.

For example Bull Halsey stated a day after Pearl Harbor "When we're done with them the only place Japaness will be spoken is in Hell."

So the type of war we and our allies waged could have been far worse.

As far as the justness of dropping thousands of bombs or just one big bomb, I myself feel that war is the most immoral thing humans can do to each other. Weather by a thousand bombs or one nuclear bomb 100 thousand dead is still 100 thousand dead.

I am just thankful that I did not nor will I ever be the poor smuck stuck making such a grave decision. It must have been horrorable for President Truman at the time and on his death bed.

War itself troubles me due to the fact that I have some heart left and believe that we will all be judged for what we do here on earth.

I do think Truman was a decent President on account of the fact that he took the biggest step in advancing civil rights since Lincoln by desegregating the military. I feel that he did more for civil rights than F.D.R, J.F.K, Carter and Clinton combined as far as Democrats go.

Only Ike who among many things, sent troops to Little Rock, Arkansas to enforce the supreme courts ruling on seperate but equal. and Johnson did more.

In my idiotic opinion  America did not truly become a free country until 1965. When blacks were granted the right to vote under law.

As somewhat of a history buff, I would like to say that I think it is wrong to hold past generations up to today's moraity. In 100 years future generations will judge us and we will not messure up to their moral standerds. For example in the future historians and schoolars may condemn abortion as we condemn slavery today. The same arguement that was used to defend slavery is the same used to defend abortion. Rights of ownership (Slave master/ Mother.) v.s Rights of the Indiviual Slave/ Unborn child.)  

We must all remeber that in a 100 or so years we will all be gone and as far as I am conserned we will be remembered as a generation that did very little as compared to our father's and grandfather's generations.

The west is a spoiled lot, mainly Americans. In America we have people who puke their food up in order not to gain weight while half the world starves. Half the population of America is overweight while half the world starves. We throw away more food in America than is consumned here and in sub Saharien Africa.

My point is that in the future America will in time revert back to just another country due to the fact that the rest of the world is catching up with us. In 75 to 100 years America may not be the say all and end all of world powers and we should all remeber that. China and Europe is fast catching up to us and it is projected that by 2054 China and Japan will over take the United States in terms of G.N.P. The European Union is only a few billion Dollars below us.

I wish America would go back to being just another country in the world like it was before the first world war. Since 1945 America has been a superower but more than that the world's traffic cop and most out here in middle America are tired of watching America's youth be sent to die for either the freedom of others (Korea 1950, Vietnam 1965, Kosavo 1999, Iraq 2003.) or for the economic intrest of Corp. America. (Banana war in 1956, Bay of Pigs 1961, Granadia 1983, Persian Gulf 1991.) just to name a few.

All Rise!
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 10:56

Pikeshot:

Would you stop using the word Anti-American in every single argument, you're like the boy who cried wolf.  Anyways I find this all very amusing from someone who has admitted to preferring Fox News whose president is none other than the notorious Roger Ailes.  This man was once known as "the Dark Prince" of right wing attack politics, but then again I shouldn't criticize you since I get all of my news from Michael Moore documentaries.

Oh and it looks like Tobo just dropped the bomb on the "US should have negotiated" crowd.

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 13:20
BBC is okay in my opinion, but everyone has a different take on it I guess. If there is one thing I hate, its when people only get the views of one side of the political spectrum. People who only watch Foxnews are just as bad as people who only read the New York TImes. its ignorant to say that one side is always right and the other is always wrong, so therefore I am only going to watch news with the biased to whom I assume is always correct.

The best way to get the news in my opinion is to watch both conservative and liberal news. I personally watch Foxnews alot, but I am always flipping to other networks to see their take. I also read the New York Times, which is very very liberal.

Political opinions are supposed to be your own, I gather views from both sides of the political spectrum and then form my own opinion as to which side I think has a better stance, whether it be left or right
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 13:28

Tobodai:

Pikeshot:

I garuntee youre just repeating what you have heard from your unreliable news source.  CNN is far more anti American than the BBC.  Unlike some pathetically stupid news sources the BBC has very little opinion commentary.  Not that its hard to beat any American news network, they are all pretty bad.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
blake79 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote blake79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 14:00

Just for the record I am not a Nazi, I am not a communist, I am not a republican and I am not a Democrat. I am one who believes that if America could whipe out it's own native American population in the 19th century why didn't we whipe out the japeness in the 20th century ? you guys telling me that America suddenly got moral in the span of 40 years ?

I was wrong for wording my past statement in such a way as to sound like a cyber space Hitler. I am sorry for that.

As far as my statement goes like it or not that was and is the opinion of many veterans of the second world war and even some generation Xers in the west.

Japan is a richer and more powerful nation today that it has ever been. It ranks behind only the U.S.A as far as economics goes, due to the massive aid the United States rushed into that nation along with the nations of western Europe. We spent billions rebuilding Japan but what did Japan spend to help rebuild China. If memory serves me well, many millions Chiness died at the hands of the Japaness military.

Some day China will over take Japan and the United States and will be the say all and end all of world superpowers and then we will stand where they tell us. Its already happening right now. China's economy has been outpacing the economies of America, the E.U and Japan by at least 8% each year and if the current tread holds they will be the richest nation in the world by 2039. 

Without being the richest nation in the world the United States will not be able to spend massive sums on defence and will no longer be able to defend Japan from China. We will all have to get used to a lot of things in the 21st century and one of them is all the nations of the west are in decline and the future will belong to the once lesser nations like China and maybe even India. I am all for a weaker American presents in the world. You could even call me an issolationist.

I say we should let China run the world for the next 100 years. What's the worst that could happen ?

"A Nation Governed by the Rule of Law is never truly Free." 

All Rise!
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 16:32
Originally posted by blake79

You guys can get on here and insult President Bush, The Republican party and in some cases America itself but then if somebody says something about the Japaness race or what ever, you have a hissy fit.

Edit: Blake you edited your post, but since both of us know what you said, heres my comment anyway:

First off theres no "Japanese race". Secondly, no ones coming on here and saying something bad about all Americans, just certain groups. You just made fun of all Japanese people, thats the difference. If you said the Japanese militants were -insert negative adjective- i would probably agree with you, but not when you guide your mindless insults on the entire population.

By your logic all Americans support the Israeli bombings of Palestinian children, which basically justifies what some men did to us on 9/11.

I share your views on virtually everything you said except the bit that you edited and removed.

Let's instead look at it from a different point of view.

Yes, lets look at it from the point of view of a woman in Hiroshima taking her children to school at 8am. Then WHAM! you're vaporized.

One inconsistant argument with some of you fellow Americans. Some of you say killing civilians during a war is fair game and its no big deal. Then why is it for 4 years we've all been moaning about "terrorism", the killing of innocent civilians? Yes, you have every right to denounce it. But when you denounce one form of terrorism and then turn around and say killing civilians is okay in a war, well my friend, thats a double-standard. And only one type of person has a double-standard, a hypocrite. Militants waged war on us by bombing our 2 most important buildings. Its a war. Terrorism is a word marketed and promoted to create an "us" and "them" scenario. That is a prevailing theme in warfare.  America has killed many innocent citizens, and so have terrorists. So whats the difference between them besides the fact that America is a country and they are not? We had a problem with Japan, and we nuked them. They have a problem with us, so they bombed us. Please differentiate the 2 ideologies of combat.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 21:22

Is Blake 79 trying to fall directly into the image of an ignorant southerner?  NO one would criticize you if you said Tojo, the high command, and most of the Japanese soldiers should have all been killed.  Thats fine.  But everyone coupled with your previous statments in another thread about shooting all germans over the age of 13 clearly shows you have the same genocidal proclivities as the Axis powers themselves. 

We are discussing it in the mod forum now.

-Alexander Hamilton
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 21:25
umm Blake has already been banned. 
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 21:27

Haha and your banned! Put that in your pipe and smoke it swamp dwelling bayou buddy.

I always get the last word!

-Alexander Hamilton
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 00:01

most out here in middle America are tired of watching America's youth be sent to die for either the freedom of others (Korea 1950, Vietnam 1965, Kosavo 1999, Iraq 2003.) or for the economic intrest of Corp. America.

Is it just me or does this sound kinda contradicting seeing how it was mostly the fault of "Middle America" for voting in the guy spewing lies about wanting to spread freedom around the world and yet middle america seemed to really go for that. Maybe its not contradicting, I could be wrong...

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 07:25
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

most out here in middle America are tired of watching America's youth be sent to die for either the freedom of others (Korea 1950, Vietnam 1965, Kosavo 1999, Iraq 2003.) or for the economic intrest of Corp. America.

Is it just me or does this sound kinda contradicting seeing how it was mostly the fault of "Middle America" for voting in the guy spewing lies about wanting to spread freedom around the world and yet middle america seemed to really go for that. Maybe its not contradicting, I could be wrong...

It depends on whether or not it's your kid getting killed. 

I am empathetic to Cindy Sheehan, but her adult son voluntarily enlisted in the service.  A soldier takes a soldier's risk. 

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 10:08

that's a good point

It often surprises me how many rightwingers blast ideas of collective responsibility in society, in welfare systems and especially getting tough with criminals talking about individual resposibility for everything. 

But then when you apply the same values to soldiers who joined freely, took the pay in peacetime and then got killed in a war they go berzerk totally forgeting everything they believe and condemn anyone who applies individual resposibilty to the isssue.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 11:01

i know i'm new to this forum and am unaware of the rules of this thread but Tobodai, i have you know that i am from louisiana, though my husband and i now reside in california. even though what BLAKE said was very out of line, you had no right calling him a swamp dweller. Louisiana is a beautiful state of which only 1/5th of it is wetlands.  calling somebody from louisiana a swamp stomper or whatever is a very insulting comment for the rest of us

ignorance should be shunned, but not with more ignorance.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 12:35

I'm not an expert on the intensity of American insults but Swamp Stomper seems to me more humorous than offensive and comes in the same category as calling an Arab a towel head, an Irishman a bogtrotter, an American a septic tank or a person from the country a carrot cruncher. IE: more designed for clever word play and humour than actual insult. If you wanted to offend someone you would say much something worse.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 15:03
What was this thread about in the first place?

Although I am not Bush's most ardent supporter[IRONY-IRONY-IRONY], we should avoid discussion his legacy since we lack historical perspective.

Of course, no one is stoping someone from starting a thread on why Bush sucks now--hint, hint.

I can't think of one president that stands out for his failures to be called the worse. The U.S. has had plenty of mediocre and gray presidents, but none that fall in the category of "bad."

Some people have said that Truman was a bad president because of his decision to drop the bomb. This may make him a bad person, but not a bad president. He did many things that were right for this nation. After FDR, he is the most responsible for our modern world.

Some one else that we are not discussing is Nixon, who would have won that award just a few years ago. Now many of us understand that most of Nixon's actions were good for the country, even though he wasn't the best person in the world.

Another person who no one has discussed is Hoover. Hoover did practically nothing in the face of the U.S. worst economic disaster. He probably deserves better the most incomptent title though. At the same time, Hoover was regarded as a good individual by many of his contemporaries.

I vote for Hoover, but with the above disclaimer.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 19:42
Originally posted by Paul

I'm not an expert on the intensity of American insults but Swamp Stomper seems to me more humorous than offensive and comes in the same category as calling an Arab a towel head, an Irishman a bogtrotter, an American a septic tank or a person from the country a carrot cruncher. IE: more designed for clever word play and humour than actual insult. If you wanted to offend someone you would say much something worse.

it isnt an insult, I made it up.

-Alexander Hamilton
swamp rat View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote swamp rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 11:20

If compared to the worst leaders of Europe say, Hitler Stalin or Mosilini I don't think any American president comes close to those tyrrants. Andrew Jackson was the most Hitler-like of all presidents on account of laying down the policy of mass extermanation of the native Americans in the 19th century but even he falls short of becoming a tyrrant on the scale of Europes worse.

I have seen President Bush be compared to Hitler a few times in the media, Yet Hilter slaughtered 7 million Jews and dirrectly caused the deaths of somewhere between 40 to 60 million people. Bush too falls far short.

As far as Truman, he did more for the advancement of civil rights than any president since Lincoln. A stance that almost cost him reelection in 1948.

If we had a nuclear war all that would be left is cock roaches and Dick Clark.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 11:55
One doesn't have to be as evil as Hitler to be a bad president.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>