Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst armies in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst armies in history
    Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 02:01
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Originally posted by Texas

I will say these about the french army ----------------------Their most well respected units are made up of foriegners -----------FRENCH FORIEGN LEGION

Yea and the foreign legion has a majority of french soldiers contrary to what you think redneck. They are just assigned a "Gaulois" identity since FFL is not supposed to take french soldiers. You'll be suprised how may Belgian, swiss and canadians there are in the foreign legion. All officers in the FFL are also french .

And learn to spell foreign properly, you made the mistake twice .

Jeez insulting peopole left and right.. ignorant boy, son of a b*tch, redneck.. you need to calm down a little bit. Its not all about having good units or troops, but what you can do with them. We can say the 20th century was not the glory days of the French Republic though..

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 02:18

Lets just say this...if you live anywhere in western or eastern Europe that shares a landboreder with Germany, then if it werent for the French army in WW1 youd all be speaking German and talking about the dark days when Ludendorff depopulated half your country for slave labor.  Even here in America without France in WW1 we would have had to drastically arm ourselves and expand our navy and army for who knows how long as Germany would then seek to prey on our overseas posesions and blow up our ships with subs.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 02:42
Originally posted by strategos

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Originally posted by Texas

I will say these about the french army ----------------------Their most well respected units are made up of foriegners -----------FRENCH FORIEGN LEGION

Yea and the foreign legion has a majority of french soldiers contrary to what you think redneck. They are just assigned a "Gaulois" identity since FFL is not supposed to take french soldiers. You'll be suprised how may Belgian, swiss and canadians there are in the foreign legion. All officers in the FFL are also french .

And learn to spell foreign properly, you made the mistake twice .

Jeez insulting peopole left and right.. ignorant boy, son of a b*tch, redneck.. you need to calm down a little bit. Its not all about having good units or troops, but what you can do with them. We can say the 20th century was not the glory days of the French Republic though..

For once, I concur with you, Strategos
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 18:47
I think, Armenian, in 1918, when they even heard that Shukru Pasha is coming, the began to run and not to stop until Yerevan, actually, Irevan
Texas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 00:26
Edited.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 09:37

I say Safavid army in sultan husain period. 
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 09:38
light afghans cavalery  defeated them very easy.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 09:42
before they  reach to isphahan.
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 11:17
Peter the Hermit's from the I.crusade. They came, they saw, they were slaughtered. All of them.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 14:25
Originally posted by Paul

Hardly, French army was excellent during the later half of the 19th century,

Excellent in the later half of 19th century? If my memory is right,  Prussian army crushed the French Army and captured Napolean III in the Franco-Prussian War with ease.  After France's defeat, Emperor Wilhelm I,with the advise of Von Bismark, chose to crown himself in France to further humiliate the French.

At the end of 19th Century, French Army was also heaviliy defeated in North Vietnam by a group of Chinese Militant known as Black Flag Army led by General Liu Yongfu.  However, the French still won the Indochina territory due to the incompetent Qing Court who was busy at managing its own internal affair.

Edited by Killabee
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 02:54
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

With no doubt Italian Army in WWI,WWII,Ethiopian campaign,Lybian campaign the poor ability,high casualties,crappy achievments they failed to gain even small victory in WWII in the french front and Egyption front too and still wait for German reinforcement.

This army didn't know the taste of victory.

I think Italians are good in architecture not in fight and battle field.

The military history of Iraq is rich of plentiful and glorious victories, I suppose ...

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 09:36

i would saw the UN army sucks.

they never do anything, why does the UN even have an army if they never do any good with it?

sudan---nothing

rawanda---nothing

what the world needs is united world army that is willing to take losses to defend humans and the world in general, that is why they are there, and that is their job, they need to do it.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 13:12
Definitely the Italian armies in both world wars.Remember Caporetto,unsuccessful trials to pierce the Austrian front in Isonzo and many others...Plus the terrible defeats in Alps,East Africa, North Africa and Greece.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 15:20
Originally posted by Killabee

Originally posted by Paul

Hardly, French army was excellent during the later half of the 19th century,

Excellent in the later half of 19th century? If my memory is right,  Prussian army crushed the French Army and captured Napolean III in the Franco-Prussian War with ease.  After France's defeat, Emperor Wilhelm I,with the advise of Von Bismark, chose to crown himself in France to further humiliate the French.

At the end of 19th Century, French Army was also heaviliy defeated in North Vietnam by a group of Chinese Militant known as Black Flag Army led by General Liu Yongfu.  However, the French still won the Indochina territory due to the incompetent Qing Court who was busy at managing its own internal affair.

Actually Bismarck begged the German King not to humiliate the French.

why do people keep saying French and Italian armies were bad. In case of the French Army, they have been fighting the best, the German Army for a close 100 years!!!

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 21:34
Originally posted by prsn41ife

i would saw the UN army sucks.

they never do anything, why does the UN even have an army if they never do any good with it?

sudan---nothing

rawanda---nothing

what the world needs is united world army that is willing to take losses to defend humans and the world in general, that is why they are there, and that is their job, they need to do it.

They really aren't an army, they're a heavily armed police force.

Member of IAEA
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 23:41
The crappiest army?  That would have to be the army of the Ottoman Turks during WWI.  They were easily defeated by the armies of the allies.  At the end of the war, the Ottoman Empire was carved up into smaller countries and European colonies.  What was left of the army (now the army of Turkey) was nearly defeated by the Greeks during the Greco-Turkish War.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 23:51
I wouldnt really put the Turkish Army in WWI in the line of crappy armies, they just had some of the world's crappiest Generals (Enver) the world has ever seen... how is it the fault of an ordinary Turkish soldier that he is ordered to go to a death march through the caucasus...they did hold at the battle of Galipoli, but then again, the allies also had a lot of miscalculations at the battle of Galipoli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 12:09

Originally posted by R_AK47

The crappiest army?  That would have to be the army of the Ottoman Turks during WWI.  They were easily defeated by the armies of the allies.  At the end of the war, the Ottoman Empire was carved up into smaller countries and European colonies.  What was left of the army (now the army of Turkey) was nearly defeated by the Greeks during the Greco-Turkish War.

Well, if you make such a statement, that means you don't know anything about the conditions,number of soldiers and fights that had taken place in Ottoman Empire.

In fact, the Ottoman Army, which had fought in NINE different fronts,namely Caucasus,Gallipoli,Galicia,Yemen,Suez Canal,Iraq,Hejaz,Iran,Syria-Palestine fronts...

In Gallipoli, around 250.000 ANZAC&Allied soldiers had been defeated by Turkish army, which is considered as one of the greatest victories of the war.

In Iraq and Palestine,even though they lacked the numerical superiority against Allied armies(British and their Commonwealth armies;that is a bit thanks to Enver Pasha and other Ottoman administrators of war,who had chosen to send armies even to Galicia and Bulgaria to help her allies when it was in pathetic conditions herself), they held the Allied armies there around 3 years...If you look at some dates, you can see how Ottoman army fought,even when Arab revolt was taking place,logistically cutting the Ottoman supply lines and causing Ottomans not to have Arabs' support with 'em, it was very end of 1917 when Jerusalem fell; same for Baghdad either. Just go search from google about The Siege of Kut, for Gallipoli Landings...And see if it was crap or not.There are two fronts that the Ottoman Empire had really failed; those are Suez Canal and Caucasus fronts..Failed in Suez Canal because with the forcing of the Germans, commander Cemal Pasha made a terribly prepared plan to pass the canal and attack into Egypt, naturally failed twice because it wasn't realistic...Failed in Caucasus because Enver Pasha wasted the valuable Ottoman armies in Sarikamish by giving 90.000 deaths to winter without a single fight and then failed to repel against Russians till 1917, but these defeats had occurred not because of the army, because of its commanders. 

I don't mean no offense to anyone in personal, but I believe saying that "Turkish army was crap" sentence means that you haven't read deeply about the issue.

Ottoman Empire didn't have any European territories during the WW I except Rumelia till Edirne, and it wasn't carved up to any European colonies...About the partition of Middle East between English and French, read the discussions about Sykes-Picot Agreement and Sevres Treaty

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 12:44

I second that!

Originally posted by Kapikulu

Well, if you make such a statement, that means you don't know anything about the conditions,number of soldiers and fights that had taken place in Ottoman Empire.

In fact, the Ottoman Army, which had fought in NINE different fronts,namely Caucasus,Gallipoli,Galicia,Yemen,Suez Canal,Iraq,Hejaz,Iran,Syria-Palestine fronts...

In Gallipoli, around 250.000 ANZAC&Allied soldiers had been defeated by Turkish army, which is considered as one of the greatest victories of the war.

In Iraq and Palestine,even though they lacked the numerical superiority against Allied armies(British and their Commonwealth armies;that is a bit thanks to Enver Pasha and other Ottoman administrators of war,who had chosen to send armies even to Galicia and Bulgaria to help her allies when it was in pathetic conditions herself), they held the Allied armies there around 3 years...If you look at some dates, you can see how Ottoman army fought,even when Arab revolt was taking place,logistically cutting the Ottoman supply lines and causing Ottomans not to have Arabs' support with 'em, it was very end of 1917 when Jerusalem fell; same for Baghdad either. Just go search from google about The Siege of Kut, for Gallipoli Landings...And see if it was crap or not.There are two fronts that the Ottoman Empire had really failed; those are Suez Canal and Caucasus fronts..Failed in Suez Canal because with the forcing of the Germans, commander Cemal Pasha made a terribly prepared plan to pass the canal and attack into Egypt, naturally failed twice because it wasn't realistic...Failed in Caucasus because Enver Pasha wasted the valuable Ottoman armies in Sarikamish by giving 90.000 deaths to winter without a single fight and then failed to repel against Russians till 1917, but these defeats had occurred not because of the army, because of its commanders. 

I don't mean no offense to anyone in personal, but I believe saying that "Turkish army was crap" sentence means that you haven't read deeply about the issue.

Ottoman Empire didn't have any European territories during the WW I except Rumelia till Edirne, and it wasn't carved up to any European colonies...About the partition of Middle East between English and French, read the discussions about Sykes-Picot Agreement and Sevres Treaty

Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 13:24

excuse me who won the Greco-Turkish war? or Gallipoli
with lack of many, equipment, bullet, weapon.

Edited by Turkoglu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>