Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The American Dream?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The American Dream?
    Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

hugo/P]

It seems to me that either the neo-liberal or the neo-classical economic models must be right. I suspect we are out of other ideas.

Either we embrace Adam Smith or the neo-classicists like Friedman, or we wait until the disaster is upon us and go with the economic band aids of Keynes and Galbraith. Those guys got us all through the Depression, but I think their credit has run out.

Pike,

The fact that the Marxist model blew up first doesn't make the neo-liberal model right.

The neo-liberal model has failed in Latin American and in other parts of the developing world.

It is now about to fail our American society.

We may talk about Keynes providing economic band-aids, but if we take a step back and look at what they accomplished, we see about 70 years of sustainable prosperity.

The logical thing to do is to tweak the system, not to radically change it.

And the U.S. cannot give up on its nation and on its people. Frankly most jobs can be done for less money in other countries. Even if the government destroyed all regulations and gave up on taxes, it will still be cheaper somewhere else. So what are we going to do? Just throw in

Based on prior experience, we must:

1. Tax, especially the wealthy, to pay out the debt

2. Have sustainable social programs. This means that we only have that which we can pay for.

Most jobs and innovation in this country are created by small businesses. It makes sense then to support and protect small businesses to help the economy.

1.     Figure out a system to give affordable access to medicine to all Americans. This is one of the major reasons why jobs are not being created.
2.     Give small business tax credits
3.     Invest in the future by providing free tuition to deserving students in science and technology

Just some ideas to play with.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 12:31

I have a question: How much money does it cost to go to university for like 5 years? (In the USA)

Edited by Cent
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 12:43
Originally posted by Cent

I have a question: How much money does it cost to go to university for like 5 years? (In the USA)

It rises almost every year. Most students today must take out loans to go to school, pay tuition, books, and living expenses.

The last I heard, it was about $40,000 for four years at state institutions, and much higher for private schools.

Many students cannot afford to go to top universities that they have been admitted to because they lack the money, and they wouldn't make enough money with a degree from that institution if they took out loans.

This is what I find the most insane about our current leaders. They are betraying a whole generation of young people, forcing them to take greater financial risks for lower potential returns, refusing to provide the best education possible to the brightest minds.

At this point these cynics running the country say that our strength is innovation.

The betrayal in education shows how much they neglect this country: without trained engineers and scientists, who is going to do this "innovation"?

And I know several people who gave up on their graduate studies in science because employment possibilities were so bleak and school was so expensive.

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 13:06

Hehe, here in leftist Sweden, my education is totally FREE. They even pay me like 300 dollars a month, but that isn't enough, but I'll only take a job on the weekends...

You see we pay much taxes but most things are free. The state pays many things, which for example allows everyone, rich or poor, to go to the university. Good eh?

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 13:15
Originally posted by hugoestr

I have a question: How much money does it cost to go to university for like 5 years? (In the USA)

It rises almost every year. Most students today must take out loans to go to school, pay tuition, books, and living expenses.

The last I heard, it was about $40,000 for four years at state institutions, and much higher for private schools.

Many students cannot afford to go to top universities that they have been admitted to because they lack the money, and they wouldn't make enough money with a degree from that institution if they took out loans.

This is what I find the most insane about our current leaders. They are betraying a whole generation of young people, forcing them to take greater financial risks for lower potential returns, refusing to provide the best education possible to the brightest minds.

At this point these cynics running the country say that our strength is innovation.

The betrayal in education shows how much they neglect this country: without trained engineers and scientists, who is going to do this "innovation"?

And I know several people who gave up on their graduate studies in science because employment possibilities were so bleak and school was so expensive.

Although I don't think it is conscious policy, what you describe is a part of the dismantling of the broad based middle class.  The rationing of education of course returns the access to that important economic ingredient to those who can afford it.  That is much the same as it was pre WWII.  If you didn't have money, you didn't go to college.  Student loans were considered a lousy investment and were hard to come by.

The GI Bill and 13,000,000 veterans changed that approach.  That was then; this is now.  Then the degree was the exception.  Now it is considered the norm for entry level jobs.

Over time, the likelihood is that the smaller independent or Church oriented colleges will start to disappear.  They cannot compete with the well funded State and Ivy-type elite schools for industrial and technological research money.  Further, their degrees are becoming so overpriced for the opportunities they might present, that fewer and fewer will enroll at them.

Few will want to borrow $200,000 to go to John Doe U. or a liberal arts college for a degree that opens few doors when the rich kid can afford to go to elite schools, and have many influential contacts and lucrative oportunities.  More people may channel into trades or non-degree technical jobs.  Incomes will likely be less, and lifestyles affected.

Or,.....maybe not.  I know some electricians and plumbers who make pretty good livings.  They just work all the time.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 13:18

Hehe, here in leftist Sweden, my education is totally FREE. They even pay me like 300 dollars a month, but that isn't enough, but I'll only take a job on the weekends...

You see we pay much taxes but most things are free. The state pays many things, which for example allows everyone, rich or poor, to go to the university. Good eh?

So, does that mean that Sweden, as part of the West, also has a bloated middle class whose entitlements are not sustainable?

Incidentally, if you are paying those high taxes, education is not free, and those not at university are paying for those who are.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:03

Pike,

The fact that the Marxist model blew up first doesn't make the neo-liberal model right.

The neo-liberal model has failed in Latin American and in other parts of the developing world.

It is now about to fail our American society.

We may talk about Keynes providing economic band-aids, but if we take a step back and look at what they accomplished, we see about 70 years of sustainable prosperity.

The logical thing to do is to tweak the system, not to radically change it.

And the U.S. cannot give up on its nation and on its people. Frankly most jobs can be done for less money in other countries. Even if the government destroyed all regulations and gave up on taxes, it will still be cheaper somewhere else. So what are we going to do? Just throw in

2. Have sustainable social programs. This means that we only have that which we can pay for.

Most jobs and innovation in this country are created by small businesses. It makes sense then to support and protect small businesses to help the economy.

1.     Figure out a system to give affordable access to medicine to all Americans. This is one of the major reasons why jobs are not being created.
3.     Invest in the future by providing free tuition to deserving students in science and technology

Greeeeat!!! You just fit with almost all romanian political partyes doctrine. Nice of you to share the same ideals with the political class of my people. Only there is a glitch: in order to fulfill that ideal it is necessary for the individuals (at least the majority, and obviously those who are in charge) to stick to it. From my knowledge (which is certainly limited since I've been working only in Romania) it is an impossible task to try matching the individual whishes/hopes/desires with the social needs. Ecoomics is a beautiful science, theories are great, but the practical part is ... unpredictable (usually it doesn't work as planned). What you are promoting is the written policy of the PCR (Partidul Comunist Roman=Romanian Communist Party) and allow me to highlight som aspects of your proposals 

1. Access to medicine to all is impossible unless that medicine is a low(est)-level one. If you want quality, only basic/essential assistance is affordable otherwise you will turn the doctors into ... public funds leeches (medicanibalism will follow).
  2. Tax credits for small business is good as long as you can control them to pay their taxes (small as they are they have). The more they are the bigger the control bureaucracy you create (auditing a small business is not much different than auditing Coca-Cola). That would lead to increase the taxation in order to sustain that bureaucracy (long live the IRS!).
  3. Free tuitition (public funds spent on this) = Academic level bureacracy (it's the worst ever) => students will learn to satisfy the requirements of their teachers; most of them will not be beneficial to the society that paid their training.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:09

Extraordinary!!! I thought that was only happening in Ceausescu's Romania!!!. Anyway, if there are so many educated people in Sweden, who is doing there the work that doesn't need education? And why are not all of you getting that free education?

Back to the thread: American Dream: a human standard that should not have been diminished. Thank you USA for sharing it with the rest of the world.

Edited by Cezar
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:31
Originally posted by Cezar

Pike, The fact that the Marxist model blew up first doesn't make the neo-liberal model right. The neo-liberal model has failed in Latin American and in other parts of the developing world. It is now about to fail our American society. We may talk about Keynes providing economic band-aids, but if we take a step back and look at what they accomplished, we see about 70 years of sustainable prosperity. The logical thing to do is to tweak the system, not to radically change it. And the U.S. cannot give up on its nation and on its people. Frankly most jobs can be done for less money in other countries. Even if the government destroyed all regulations and gave up on taxes, it will still be cheaper somewere else. So what are we going to do? Just throw in Based on prior experience, we must: 1. Tax, especially the wealthy, to pay out the debt 2. Have sustainable social programs. This means that we only have that which we can pay for. Most jobs and innovation in this country are created by small businesses. It makes sense then to support and protect small businesses to help the economy. 1.     Figure out a system to give affordable access to medicine to all Americans. This is one of the major reasons why jobs are not being created. 2.     Give small business tax credits 3.     Invest in the future by providing free tuition to deserving students in science and technology Just some ideas to play with.

Greeeeat!!! You just fit with almost all romanian political partyes doctrine. Nice of you to share the same ideals with the political class of my people. Only there is a glitch: in order to fulfill that ideal it is necessary for the individuals (at least the majority, and obviously those who are in charge) to stick to it. From my knowledge (which is certainly limited since I've been working only in Romania) it is an impossible task to try matching the individual whishes/hopes/desires with the social needs. Ecoomics is a beautiful science, theories are great, but the practical part is ... unpredictable (usually it doesn't work as planned). What you are promoting is the written policy of the PCR (Partidul Comunist Roman=Romanian Communist Party) and allow me to highlight som aspects of your proposals

1. Access to medicine to all is impossible unless that medicine is a low(est)-level one. If you want quality, only basic/essential assistance is affordable otherwise you will turn the doctors into ... public funds leeches (medicanibalism will follow).

2. Tax credits for small business is good as long as you can control them to pay their taxes (small as they are they have). The more they are the bigger the control bureaucracy you create (auditing a small business is not much different than auditing Coca-Cola). That would lead to increase the taxation in order to sustain that bureaucracy (long live the IRS!).

3. Free tuitition (public funds spent on this) = Academic level bureacracy (it's the worst ever) => students will learn to satisfy the requirements of their teachers; most of them will not be beneficial to the society that paid their training.

I do not know if you read correctly, but all most of these ideas are intended to help small business florish. It is a purely capitalist idea; responsible capitalism, but capatalist nevertheless.

Affordable access to medicine is a very serious problem in the U.S. This issue has slowered the rate of job creation in this country. Businesses, who have for decades paid for it, are now shifting the costs to employees.

All what has to be met is access to medical care. If using the existing infrastructure of private medical insurance is the way of doing it, so be it.

The U.S. currently gives big businesses the bulk of tax credits. They create the least amount of jobs. My idea is to shift these tax cuts to the place that actually creates them.

I don't see where the problem is with collecting taxes from small business since my idea is to collect less money from them. And this will help existing small businesses who are already paying taxes to the IRS.

Education is needed to have qualified innovators workers and innovators for the future of the society. It is a national investment in our children and in our nation in the age of globalization.

The beauty about funding education is that no government system has to be created: all what we have to do is fund what we have so that students pay less money.

These solutions may work in the U.S. They are tailored for it. I ignore what is the situation in Romania, and I would never presume to imply that they would work there.

In fact, I wouldn't push them as solutions for Mexico, which is a country that I am more familiar with. The situation there is different, and I would have to think about it before coming up with potential solutions.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:38

"Extraordinary!!! I thought that was only happening in Ceausescu's Romania!!!. Anyway, if there are so many educated people in Sweden, who is doing there the work that doesn't need education? And why are not all of you getting that free education?"

The education level in Sweden is very high, the goverment goal is that 50% will go to the universities. Who ever wants to start can start.

"Incidentally, if you are paying those high taxes, education is not free, and those not at university are paying for those who are."

Well, also the dentists are free here until 18 years of age, and I've been going there like four or five times while others have been there 10 or 20 times, and I and other tax-payers are paying that. But that doesn't bother me, because this way EVERYONE can get the necessary stuff they need. Like medical care and free education. This system in my opinion a very good one, and that's why Sweden is ranked like top 5 in the world in the Human development index (sp?).

The richer you are the more you pay. Best solution to get rid of poverty. But still, a doctor in Sweden do get much more paid than a taxidriver, but they have the same opportunites in life, both had the chance to get a doctorsdegree, but they chose differently.

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:48

Well, Hugoestr, as I said, I've never been in the USA. There were just some aspects of what you wrote that I've wanted to highlight. No offense meant, I'm just being kind of skeptic when it comes to the idea that an administration (being it US or Ro) would manage to get on with it. I've known some advisers from US that came here and from what they've told me I can tell you that bureaucrats out there are worse than here. It's not about the concept, it's about those who are in charge of it making it became a real thing.

*I like the USA for what it meant/stiil means, but I deeply dislike mr. gwbush; while guys like him are in charge ....

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:52

Tax credits for small business is good as long as you can control them to pay their taxes (small as they are they have). The more they are the bigger the control bureaucracy you create (auditing a small business is not much different than auditing Coca-Cola). That would lead to increase the taxation in order to sustain that bureaucracy (long live the IRS!).

I don't think I understand this logic very well. Seems what you are saying is that more small businesses inevitably leads to bigger auditing/tax collecting bureaucracy. If that's the correct understanding then I will follow that up with this. Small businesses have been and will continue to be taxed. A greater tax break, however, would spur more small business growth. Big business has and can evade tax loopholes as can small businesses yet the financial effect is immmense in comparison.

An example of a recent mistake was in General Motors wrongfull auditing of their own earnings. It was later discovered that they omitted something to the tune of approximately 2 billion dollars lost on top of their publically disclosed amount of last year.

A big corporation generally has worked out tax abatements with their local community. For example, Corp X surveys some property. They like what they see and want to build there. So they go to the mayor and city council to work out a cushy deal. Corp X says, "I will build a factory here as long as you do not ask us to pay city taxes". The Mayor and his council think it over. "Hmmm! Jobs for my community, income for families by not taxing Corp X" or "No way! You must pay up if you're going to do business here." The most likely result is that the big Corp X wins out and dictates a tax abatement with the promise of future jobs.

Small business rarely, if ever, has this type of negotiating advantage. In effect, it is the small business that rarely costs the IRS on an individual basis. The big businesses have the financial means, political clout and legal savvy to escape from various amounts of taxation. Money that local communities will not see. Perhaps in Romania the tax collecting structure is different and not as sufficient. However, in the US the big corporations definitely have evasive inguinity. 

Edited by Seko
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:54

"Extraordinary!!! I thought that was only happening in Ceausescu's Romania!!!. Anyway, if there are so many educated people in Sweden, who is doing there the work that doesn't need education? And why are not all of you getting that free education?"

The education level in Sweden is very high, the goverment goal is that 50% will go to the universities. Who ever wants to start can start.

"Incidentally, if you are paying those high taxes, education is not free, and those not at university are paying for those who are."

Well, also the dentists are free here until 18 years of age, and I've been going there like four or five times while others have been there 10 or 20 times, and I and other tax-payers are paying that. But that doesn't bother me, because this way EVERYONE can get the necessary stuff they need. Like medical care and free education. This system in my opinion a very good one, and that's why Sweden is ranked like top 5 in the world in the Human development index (sp?).

The richer you are the more you pay. Best solution to get rid of poverty. But still, a doctor in Sweden do get much more paid than a taxidriver, but they have the same opportunites in life, both had the chance to get a doctorsdegree, but they chose differently.

1. How many swedish cabdrivers are in Sweden?
  2. If you will have 50% of Sweden as university graduates, who will do the low level work?
  3. What's an university degree worth if you can't earn (not get, just because the state wants to show off) a job due to it?
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:54

Good ideas all.  The problem is that power is in the hands of the people most effected by tax increases proposed in #1 and don't want to pay taxes to support anything with the word "social" in it for #2.  But, as you know, it is an age-old struggle between the "have too much" and the "have nothing" segments of society.

Labor unions now only represent about 8% of the nation's workers and their influence is going the way of the passenger pigeon.  Without a labor shortage, workers have nearly no leverage in order to increase wages, improve health care, or request retirement benefits.  Businesses will just find someone who can work without such guarantees...and there is never a shortage of those people in the work force.  This actually ties into the immigration debate quite readily.

The "business knows best" approach to running an economy can only mean bad things for the country.  Sure, the economy is showing signs of growth, thanks to worker productivity, but it's at the expense of hourly wages and corporations keeping profits for shareholders.  I can never understand why people on the right put business interests ahead of a nation's own citizens.  To further my point:

Considering the odd legal fiction that deems a corporation a "person" in the eyes of the law, the feature documentary "The Corporation" employees a checklist, based on actual diagnostic criteria of the World Health Organization and DSM IV, the standard tool of psychiatrists and psychologists. What emerges is a disturbing diagnosis.

Self-interested, amoral, callous and deceitful, a corporation's operational principles make it anti-social. It breaches social and legal standards to get its way even while it mimics the human qualities of empathy, caring and altruism. It suffers no guilt. Diagnosis: the institutional embodiment of laissez-faire capitalism fully meets the diagnostic criteria of a psychopath.
  http://www.kottke.org/04/01/the-corporation

My own state had to raise the minimum wage because the business lobby and the politicians who love them refuse to give the poor a decent break, when they have most likely received many breaks themselves.  Fifteen years ago, when I was making the minimum wage, it couldn't buy me
I can't imagine the purchase power would be any better today, especially since the minimum wage hasn't been risen in nine years (while the legislators regularly give themselves pay raises).  What kind of message does that send to hardworking people?
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:07

1. How many swedish cabdrivers are in Sweden?
  2. If you will have 50% of Sweden as university graduates, who will do the low level work?
  3. What's an university degree worth if you can't earn (not get, just because the state wants to show off) a job due to it?

It depends on where you are. In Stockholm there are like 20% Swedes, and in other major cities there are 50 to 70%? The rest are foreigners.

There are not many lowlevelworkers in Sweden, the most production is outside Sweden. Sweden is a expensive place to have your business. Why have in Sweden when you can have your factory in Polen or China? Sweden focuses on innovation and companies who develop things.

Well that is one problem, for example, we have a overflow with engineer, who have to take jobs as taxidrivers. But that's mostly because of all Iranians who come to Sweden, hehe. Nah, but you have to also choose your education after what's available on the market.

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:16
Originally posted by Seko

I don't think I understand this logic very well. Seems what you are saying is that more small businesses inevitably leads to bigger auditing/tax collecting bureaucracy. If that's the correct understanding then I will follow that up with this. Small businesses have been and will continue to be taxed. A greater tax break, however, would spur more small business growth. Big business has and can evade tax loopholes as can small businesses yet the financial effect is immmense in comparison.

An example of a recent mistake was in General Motors wrongfull auditing of their own earnings. It was later discovered that they omitted something to the tune of approximately 2 billion dollars lost on top of their publically disclosed amount of last year.

A big corporation generally has worked out tax abatements with their local community. For example, Corp X surveys some property. They like what they see and want to build there. So they go to the mayor and city council to work out a cushy deal. Corp X says, I will build a factory here as long as you do not ask us to pay city taxes. The Mayor and his council think it over. Hmmm! Jobs for my community, income for families by not taxing Corp X or No way! You must pay up if you're going to do business here. The most likely result is that the big Corp X wins out and dictates a tax abatement with the promise of future jobs.

Small business rarely, if ever, has this type of negotiating advantage. In effect, it is the small business that rarely costs the IRS on an individual basis. The big businesses have the financial means, political clout and legal savvy to escape from various amounts of taxation. Money that local communities will not see. Perhaps in Romania the tax collecting structure is different and not as sufficient. However, in the US the big corporations definitely have evasive inguinity. 

[/QUOTE

#1 Small busines is a concept. People who run them are not. They are individuals. While most of them are (fairly) paying their taxes there are some who don't. If there are some who don't then the state must do something about it. It's about balance, in theory. It's like this: "if the balance between those who pay and those who don't is OK we don't need to increase the number of our auditors in order to control the phenomena".  But, as I said, it's not about what's designed, it's about what it is. An efficient IRS is an efficient bureaucracy and (be it here or elswhere, me, being a bureaucrat I know it too well) that is a contradiction. If things should be OK, a structuire like the IRS should come to the point of diminishing itself. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen, you will never witness a bureacratic structure that will efficiently contribute to something like that. On the contrary, its behaviour would emphasyze the necessity of at least maintaing the structure, if not enlarging it.

#2 Is bi/ug business a part of American Dream?. This should be subject to another thread, if you don't mind. BB (not the french lady) is not just an US issue it's about this whole da**ed world we live in.

*I gotta go home, it's 10 pm here. This is my last post for today.

**just try to edit this post. looks like ... I don't know. See you later!

#1 Small busines is a concept. People who run them are not. They are individuals. While most of them are (fairly) paying their taxes there are some who don't. If there are some who don't then the state must do something about it. It's about balance, in theory. It's like this: "if the balance between those who pay and those who don't is OK we don't need to increase the number of our auditors in order to control the phenomena".  But, as I said, it's not about what's designed, it's about what it is. An efficient IRS is an efficient bureaucracy and (be it here or elswhere, me, being a bureaucrat I know it too well) that is a contradiction. If things should be OK, a structuire like the IRS should come to the point of diminishing itself. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen, you will never witness a bureacratic structure that will efficiently contribute to something like that. On the contrary, its behaviour would emphasyze the necessity of at least maintaing the structure, if not enlarging it.

#2 Is bi/ug business a part of American Dream?. This should be subject to another thread, if you don't mind. BB (not the french lady) is not just an US issue it's about this whole da**ed world we live in.

*I gotta go home, it's 10 pm here. This is my last post for today.

**just try to edit this post. looks like ... I don't know. See you later!

Edited by Cezar
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:22
I still think you believe that the average small business owner evades taxes. This is rarely the case in the US. The cost of doing so is too great. Let alone the consequences. I am not saying that indiviudals and small business do not cheat and fail to report total earnings. Romania may have this problem on a greater scale than the US.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:33

Well, Hugoestr, as I said, I've never been in the USA. There were just some aspects of what you wrote that I've wanted to highlight. No offense meant, I'm just being kind of skeptic when it comes to the idea that an administration (being it US or Ro) would manage to get on with it. I've known some advisers from US that came here and from what they've told me I can tell you that bureaucrats out there are worse than here. It's not about the concept, it's about those who are in charge of it making it became a real thing.

*I like the USA for what it meant/stiil means, but I deeply dislike mr. gwbush; while guys like him are in charge ....

I agree with you in several points: I dislike Bush myself And you may also noticed that most of our discussion is in the past tense: many of the ideas were actually put in place during the 1950s and 1960s.

I also agree that the current leadership doesn't have the will to do this. But hopefully we will get people who will do it.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:42

...  But, as I said, it's not about what's designed, it's about what it is. An efficient IRS is an efficient bureaucracy and (be it here or elswhere, me, being a bureaucrat I know it too well) that is a contradiction. If things should be OK, a structuire like the IRS should come to the point of diminishing itself. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen, you will never witness a bureacratic structure that will efficiently contribute to something like that. On the contrary, its behaviour would emphasyze the necessity of at least maintaing the structure, if not enlarging it.

Of course a government bureacracy will not try to limit themselves. They have their own power and benefits. When the general public pays for its own healthcare, the government already covers that cost for her employees. The IRS worker is not immune to such perks. That doesn't mean an effective IRS needs to downsize though. They need to be effectively efficient.

-Looks I responded to a post that was later deleted by its author. Yet the meat of the post is referenced on time.

Edited by Seko
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:50

#1 Small busines is a concept. People who run them are not. They are individuals. While most of them are (fairly) paying their taxes there are some who don't. If there are some who don't then the state must do something about it. It's about balance, in theory. It's like this: "if the balance between those who pay and those who don't is OK we don't need to increase the number of our auditors in order to control the phenomena". But, as I said, it's not about what's designed, it's about what it is. An efficient IRS is an efficient bureaucracy and (be it here or elswhere, me, being a bureaucrat I know it too well) that is a contradiction. If things should be OK, a structuire like the IRS should come to the point of diminishing itself. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen, you will never witness a bureacratic structure that will efficiently contribute to something like that. On the contrary, its behaviour would emphasyze the necessity of at least maintaing the structure, if not enlarging it.

Small business owners in the U.S., as a group, are very socially oriented and responsible. Many believe that using business models to fight poverty; some of it may work, some may not. However, they have interest in looking for solutions. Most support local charities, sport leagues, or civic events.

It makes sense: if you do business by building relationships, it pays to be seen as a pillar of your local community.

I have read and heard many stories of small business owners holding back from passing health care costs to their employers for years, until the costs are too high that it would destroy the business. Many hold back from firing people during bad periods too. There are exceptions, but as a group, they are much better than heads of big corporations.

And small businesses are also the biggest creators of jobs.

Since they give the greatest social return, it makes sense to support them the most.

And again, there are thousands of these businesses already in the U.S. The benefits will mainly support the existing system.

P.S. Bureaucrats are much better here than they are in Mexico. I don't know how it is in Romania, but in Mexico you had to bribe your way through government officials. I haven't paid one bribe in the U.S., and most of my interactions with government have been very good.

P.S.S. And the people at the IRS hotline are very helpful and polite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>