Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were ancestors of Germanic tribes and where did they come fr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were ancestors of Germanic tribes and where did they come fr
    Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 14:20
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 14:20

Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Paul

Could be refering to the first Europeans who entered into Northern Europe in small numbers before the big freeze. Most retreated south to southern Europe when the big freeze happened but smaller numbers remained north. When the thawing began the southern groups who had multiplied greately moved north and absorded the few descendants of those who remained.

There was nobody living in the north: it was plainly frozen. Polar bears surely but nothing else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creswell_Crags

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 15:32

Maju, Zargos

Dr. Cavalli-Sforza was a practical man. Consequently he linked his entire frame-work of genetical haplogroups to the "Out of Africa-theory".

Dr. Spencer Wells was one of his best students/co-workers. Today his into a large project with National Geographic - trying to trace down the whereavouts of the human migrations.

Today Wells is a famous jet-set-researcher/publisher/writer. In one of his maps he even concludes that the haplogroup 18b arrived in Europe some 40.000 years ago - inside the Cro-Magnons.

Zargos seem to believe that we Lapps and the Eskimos descends from the Cro-Magnons. 

Maju seem to believe that the same gen-marker created the west-coast populations of Europe. They are both sure that the present working-model of Dr. Wells are presenting irrefutible facts.

---

Among genticians Cavalli-Sforza's work is commonly regarded. As one of many.  But there are still a lot left to do before the genetical field - by themselves - can decide on the real-time values of genetical abrevations and mutations within the human genome. Consequently the base ALL their timelines on Archeological results - and their consequent hypothesis'.

Within antropology the "Out-of-Africa-theory" is highly - and increasingly - disputed. Evry reader of Scientific American knows that. 

Get some headbashers, Zargosus, and rip their brains apart. MAYBE that will give you some new knowledge - for a change.  Unless you've already found the eternal enligthment of wisdom, that is.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 16:34
The single-origin theory is nowadays fully proven, I believe precisely by the application of genetics to the problem (genetic Adam and Eve, lack of relation with Neanderthal). Multirregional is what is totally against the ropes.

And anyhow it's not relevant. You are moving from here to there: which is your paradigm? That a mutant race evolved in Scandinavia under the thick layer of ice (that crumbled under the feet of the inexistent polar bears) and that these have nothing to do with the rest of the world? Sorry but that's not the reality.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 16:45

Could be refering to the first Europeans who entered into Northern Europe in small numbers before the big freeze. Most retreated south to southern Europe when the big freeze happened but smaller numbers remained north. When the thawing began the southern groups who had multiplied greately moved north and absorded the few descendants of those who remained.

There was nobody living in the north: it was plainly frozen. Polar bears surely but nothing else.

I meant more north: like Scotland, Denmark and Sweden. England had an ice-free region so much north... but they are related with continental Magdalenian tradition, as do the first colonists of Northern Germany and Denmark, as the meltdown frees land over there. Anyhow these people were living in the very edges of inhabitability.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 17:05
The extreme north was unihabited, but in my explanation I was refering to Northern Europe, it's a big place, had a sparce population (in some parts) that survived and disapeared into the mass of later migrants.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 18:13

Britain was occupied between glaciations ... not during. It's suspected that humans were driven out at least once, only to return later.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/11/1103_031103_ britainrepopulation2.html

Edited by edgewaters
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 18:38

Before Creswell Crags came along the line was "humans were driven out and no habitation during the big freeze". Now it's being rewritten year by year and discovery by discovery, who knows where it will lead. At first the dig showed habitation continued long after the big freeze. Now it seems to show rehabitation began long before the big ice age ended. However the break in habitation for tens of thousands of years still exists, just it's been snipped away at the edges. I doubt if Creswell Crags will ever close it either, but may shorten it more. So I think after Creswell Crags we can modify "humans were driven out and no habitation during the big freeze" to "humans were driven out and no habitation in the middle of the big freeze"

Unanswered questions though and whats really interesting is why did the rehabitants settle at Creswell Crags again after thousands of years of absences ? Coincidence? Or a continued habitation connection? And where dig the exodus go to and the pre-end of ice age reinhabitants come from. Were the really southern Europeans or a more northerly people retreating on to northern France?

Edited by Paul

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 18:51

Zargos seem to believe that we Lapps and the Eskimos descends from the Cro-Magnons. 

No, I don't, you just have no idea what i am talking about because you don't have a  deep enough knowledge on the matter or are just imbittered and are skewing my words--- Just because i state Central Asia as the migratory origin, you seem to assume by that I mean the migrants were Mongoloid. Look at that weblink i posted a while ago, it is compiled from Dr. Spencer Wells' research and everything I have said is based on my itnerpretation of his work.

Lapps, Inuits etc are Arctic people but they had nothing to with modern Euros north of the regions YOU mentioned.  The part of Central Asia I refer to were inhabited by Caucasoids and the r1b who migrated to Europe were defiantely Caucasoid, but NOT Arctic people, Arctic people are archetypally, as Maju stated, Inuits, they are, physiologically,  the best adapted to the conditons of such a clime.

Some Lapps:

These are the Inuit types of which I speak who have mixed in with Caucasoids in N Europe, to varying degrees.

Edited by Zagros
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 19:03

Before Creswell Crags came along the line was "humans were driven out and no habitation during the big freeze". Now it's being rewritten year by year and discovery by discovery, who knows where it will lead. At first the dig showed habitation continued long after the big freeze. Now it seems to show rehabitation began long before the big ice age ended. However the break in habitation for tens of thousands of years still exists, just it's been snipped away at the edges. I doubt if Creswell Crags will ever close it either, but may shorten it more. So I think after Creswell Crags we can modify "humans were driven out and no habitation during the big freeze" to "humans were driven out and no habitation in the middle of the big freeze"

And we're dig the exodus go to and pre-end of ice age rehabitants come from. Were the reallysouthern Europeans or a more northerly people retreating on to northern France?

But Creswell crags don't contradict anything much yet.

from the wiki:

"The main phases of stone age occupation were at around 43,000 BC then in a period between 30,000 and 28,000 BC and then again around 10,000 BC ... The scientists and archaeologists concluded it was most likely the engravings were contemporary with evidence for occupation at the site during the late glacial interstadial at around 13,000-15,000 years ago."

This matches quite nicely with the dates assumed for habitation of Britain as a whole between glaciations.

I have no doubt they could have been inhabited at the edge of a glaciation ... as I mentioned, it is possible to inhabit where there is access to water, or where seasonal melting occurs. But it is simply not possible for year-round glaciation, such as at the pole, to support anything other than micro-organisms. There are no plants, and access to liquid water is not possible due to the thickness of the ice. Exodus did occur in Britain during glaciation.

Unanswered questions though and whats really interesting is why did the rehabitants settle at Creswell Crags again after thousands of years of absences ? Coincidence? Or a continued habitation connection?

I don't think a connection is supported. They must just be a good site. The site was inhabited in Roman times, and even in post-medieval times. I strongly doubt it's connected to the habitation of 10 000 BC, even though, it is closer in time to the habitation of 30 000 BC.

Edited by edgewaters
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 19:31
Maju i don't understand the problem with the milk-digesting, last milennia isn't possible, the classical greek peasants eat cheese and the celts butter, so... they couldn't eat that milk? No possible, was their food.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 20:49

The single-origin theory is nowadays fully proven, I believe precisely by the application of genetics to the problem (genetic Adam and Eve, lack of relation with Neanderthal). Multirregional is what is totally against the ropes.

And anyhow it's not relevant. You are moving from here to there: which is your paradigm? That a mutant race evolved in Scandinavia under the thick layer of ice (that crumbled under the feet of the inexistent polar bears) and that these have nothing to do with the rest of the world? Sorry but that's not the reality.

Sorry Maju,

It's your OPINION against presented, well-documented proofs of archaology. Try again.

Edited by boreas-is
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 21:38
boreas-is wrote:

Zagros,

The habitats in question are early examples of the culture that came to populate the northern hemisphere, as the glaciers of ice-time receeded.

20.000 yrs BP they are found in the White Sea and the Baltic.

12.-15.000 yrs BP they are in Scandinavia and Northern Europe. At the same time they appear in the arctic part of America.

Quote Zagros:

Yes, Inuit types as mentioned, they are by far the best adapted to Arctic climates, physiologically.  Short and stout, their limbs are shorter for better heat retention, thicker skin and thin layer of fat beneath the skin for the same.  These people still thrive in the Arctic, if Europeans did, there would be at least pre-modern (2-500 years) evidence of it (i.e. Europeans with a very similar lifestyle as those described in the articles you pasted - there isn't

Quote:
10.000 BP they had populated the islands of the North Atlantic.

8.500 BP they had already created the first known "megalithic civilisation" of Northern Europe  (Germany-Balkans).

Quote Zargos;

Lapps

Quote Boreas:

According to present results from the European Genome Project the Scandinvian population, as well as the islanders - haven't changed notably over the last 10.000 years. Same with the Basques, - which are also explained to "originate from the first migrational wave of hunter-gathers".

Quote Zargos;

Uhuh, and that strangely enough co-incides with the receding of the glaciers and the movements of M383 (R1b) into the same regions.

Quote Stephen Wells;

"Western Europe's major line is the M383(R1b) are directly descended from the Cro-Magnon people who became the continents first human beings 35.000 years ago"

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html

Quote Boreas:

Quote Zargos;

No, I don't, you just have no idea what i am talking about because you don't have a  deep enough knowledge on the matter or are just imbittered and are skewing my words--- Just because i state Central Asia as the migratory origin, you seem to assume by that I mean the migrants were Mongoloid. Look at that weblink i posted a while ago, it is compiled from Dr. Spencer Wells' research and everything I have said is based on my itnerpretation of his work. 

---

Btw; Where - according to Your interpretation - do we find the origin of the Mongloids?!?!

Edited by boreas-is
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 21:50

The Yana RHS Site:
Humans in the Arctic Before the Last Glacial Maximum

A newly discovered Paleolithic site on the Yana River, Siberia, at 71N, lies well above the Arctic circle and dates to 27,000 radiocarbon years before present, during glacial times. Artifacts at the site include a rare rhinoceros foreshaft, other mammoth foreshafts, and a wide variety of tools and flakes. This site shows that people adapted to this harsh, high-latitude, Late Pleistocene environment much earlier than previously thought.

1 Institute for the History of Material Culture, Russian Academy of Sciences, 18 Dvortsovaya nab., St. Petersburg 191186, Russia.
2 Geological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, 7 Pyzhevsky pereulok, Moscow 119017, Russia.
3 Geological Research Laboratory of the North, Faculty of Geography, Moscow State University, Leninskie Gory, Moscow 119992, Russia.
4 Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute, 38 Bering Street, St. Petersburg 199397, Russia.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sci;303/5654/ 52
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 22:22

Not at all. The recent survey you refer to is only ONE. And there are a number of limitations and some outrigth problems with it to. Like it's lack of explanation about modern people in America more than 13-14.000 years ago. Moreover it havent the results havent met any real professional parity yet, so it is far from clear - yet. Sorry again.

Do I really have to ask you re-read my former posts?!

Like this passage;

"Most anthropologists say modern peopleour direct ancestorswere just arriving in Europe from the south at the time and didn't colonize the far north until near the end of the last Ice Age 13,000 or 14,000 years ago. Neanderthals, the original "cavemen" who occupied Europe for at least 150,000 years before modern humans arrived, were certainly capable of producing the simple implements found at Mamontovaya Kurya. But all previous evidence puts them much farther south. "It could have been Neanderthals," says Jan Mangerud, a Norwegian geologist who works with the Mamontovaya Kurya team. "But no one thought they could live that far north."

Further evidence came up already 2004. See above.

No need to move here and there, Maju. My axiom is very clear - and you do already know it. Then please just look - and observe what your eyes are telling you - before you close them again.  Ice-age Europe didnt really look the way we all thought - when these and other new results started appearing some 15 years ago.

Today this new paradigm of paleolithic time have been verified - times over. Even students of antropology have to face this in their present curriculums. Still it may take a year or two before the geneticians are able to cope with it. So you may have some time for bashing and ridicule - until the National Wells Fargo-express are able to run the revised models of the human migration-patterns on global media.

Edited by boreas-is
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 00:00
Originally posted by boreas-is

Not at all. The recent survey you refer to is only ONE.And there are a number of limitations and some outrigth problems with it to. Like it's lack of explanation aboutmodern people in America more than 13-14.000 years ago. Moreover it havent the results havent met any real professional parity yet, so it is far from clear - yet. Sorry again.And anyhow it's not relevant. You are moving from here to there: which is your paradigm? That a mutant race evolved in Scandinavia under the thick layer of ice (that crumbled under the feet of the inexistent polar bears) and that these have nothing to do with the rest of the world? Sorry but that's not the reality.

DoI really have to ask you re-read my former posts?!

Like this passage;

"Most anthropologists say modern peopleour direct ancestorswere just arriving in Europe from the south at the time and didn't colonize the far north until near the end of the last Ice Age 13,000 or 14,000 years ago. Neanderthals, the original "cavemen" who occupied Europe for at least 150,000 years before modern humans arrived, were certainly capable of producing the simple implements found at Mamontovaya Kurya. But all previous evidence puts them much farther south. "It could have been Neanderthals," says Jan Mangerud, a Norwegian geologist who works with the Mamontovaya Kurya team. "But no one thought they could live that far north."

No need to move here and there, Maju. My axiom is very clear - and you do already know it. Then please just look -and observe what your eyes are telling you - before you close them again.Ice-age Europe didnt really look the waywe all thought -when these and othernew results started appearing some 15 years ago.

Today this new paradigm of paleolithic time have been verified - times over.Even students of antropology have to face this in their present curriculums.Still it may takea year or two before the geneticians are able to cope with it. So you may havesome time for bashing and ridicule - untilthe National Wells Fargo-express are able torun the revised models of the human migration-patternson global media.

You're misinterpreting the data. They are correct to say our ancestors are from the c. 13000 BP era. Sites like Yana refer to one of many inhabitations of the north during interglacial periods, sites which were abandoned during glacial events. Given its location, it is further likely that this was inhabited by Mongoloids, not Caucasians.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 03:09

Were the really southern Europeans or a more northerly people retreating on to northern France?

This is yet to be answered and, apart of any "miraculously significant" archaeological finding, only careful genetical studies can find - if they can at all.

Yet we do know that the proportion of population in Europe was largest in the Franco-Cantabric, Nord-Pyrenenan or Basco-Aquitanian area. The other major regions were Central Europe (Nord-Alpine area) and Eastern Europe (Pontic area), with some no disdainable pockets in Mediterranean Spain and Italy and maybe also in the Balcans.

Yet, I see no specific genetic difference between Central Euros and Western Euros, apart of those that seem to come from the East in later periods. In fact Central Euros as Germans seem slightly less Western than Danes, for instance, meaning surely a stronger Eastern inmigration in the Chalcolithic and later on.

So my idea is that Western and Central European aborigines are genetically the same or very simmilar and that only a greater ammount of flow from the East (IEs specially) accounts for most of the differences. The same can be said regarding Southern Europeans of Iberia and Italy, they have little Eastern (NE) input but they have more Mediterranean (SE) input,. probably brought in the Neolithic period specially with some ramifications going up to the NW.

Anyhow, your question is relevant, I believe, but a little too subtle to be answered with our present knowledge. All I can say is that "purest" British populations are almost identical for male lineages with Basques, yet, when it comes to maternal lineages, they seem more related to Northern Europe, whatecer it means.

In any case the genetic differences between Northern and Southern Europe are just of shade: both Italy and Denmark have about 50% R1b for male ancestry and the same can be said on H for female ancestry. Such homogeneity accounts for a single Western European population, even in Danes are more mixed with Eastern groups (I) and Italians with SE ones (J, E3).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 03:17
Originally posted by boreas-is

Not at all. The recent survey you refer to is only ONE. And there are a number of limitations and some outrigth problems with it to. Like it's lack of explanation about modern people in America more than 13-14.000 years ago. Moreover it havent the results havent met any real professional parity yet, so it is far from clear - yet. Sorry again.

Do I really have to ask you re-read my former posts?!

Like this passage;

No need to move here and there, Maju. My axiom is very clear - and you do already know it. Then please just look - and observe what your eyes are telling you - before you close them again.  Ice-age Europe didnt really look the way we all thought - when these and other new results started appearing some 15 years ago.

Today this new paradigm of paleolithic time have been verified - times over. Even students of antropology have to face this in their present curriculums. Still it may take a year or two before the geneticians are able to cope with it. So you may have some time for bashing and ridicule - until the National Wells Fargo-express are able to run the revised models of the human migration-patterns on global media.

You're saying nonsense: that some artifacts have been found in a pre-glaciar period in Scandinavia means nothing: H. Sapiens was then still in Africa! That's the date of "mithocodrial Eve"! There are no human (H. Sapiens) remains out of Africa until at least 90,000 BCE (Palestine)!

If those weren't Neanders and they are actual arctifacts it must have been some other branch of H. Erectus... But I bet for Neanders, as they seem very well adapted to cold.

Anyhow, you're building a castle of air on nothing. You can't just bring ahead a weird theory on a mutant Nordic race on a handful of stone tools only. That's just smoke-writting: it can't stand.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 03:23
Originally posted by Ikki

Maju i don't understand the problem with the milk-digesting, last milennia isn't possible, the classical greek peasants eat cheese and the celts butter, so... they couldn't eat that milk? No possible, was their food.

I believe I just said that milk-digesting mutation must have happened after domestication, so it must be recent, in the last eight milennia - as there was no doestic cattle in Europe before.

Another possibility is that the mutation is merely random (at first) or that we are ignoring something else. In any case, if such mutation would have helped people to survive and reproduce (as it probably did - but only in a Neolithic context) it would be selected quite quickly. You can see one of those specially favorable mutations become general in relatively few generations, if it truly gives better chances of survival and reproduction.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 06:44

Mjau,

I am sorry, but I didnt know that you could know the thruth of these matters better than every other archeologist. And I am still surprised that not even reality can make you change one of your preconceived opinions.

quote, Maju:

"You're saying nonsense: that some artifacts have been found in a pre-glaciar period in Scandinavia means nothing: H. Sapiens was then still in Africa! That's the date of "mithocodrial Eve"! There are no human (H. Sapiens) remains out of Africa until at least 90,000 BCE (Palestine)!"

Once more; Do you really think that this is a case where all factors are known, PROVEN and completed?!  In case how-when-where, and to what extent?

Mjau, quote:

"If those weren't Neanders and they are actual arctifacts it must have been some other branch of H. Erectus... But I bet for Neanders, as they seem very well adapted to cold."

Anyhow, you're building a castle of air on nothing. You can't just bring ahead a weird theory on a mutant Nordic race on a handful of stone tools only. That's just smoke-writting: it can't stand."

"Weird" - what  kind of term is that? And, btw. this is no theory of mine. (Unfortunately I cant even take credit for any part of it...)

Placing bets are off course another matter - just don't call it science, fact and proof.  Just remember the old rule; don*t speak to soon - while the wheel is still in spin. This one has actually just started moving - and it is obvious that these discoveries represents a new facade to your window of competence. Including the matter of milk-digestion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>