Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Hellens,Dark or White Skinned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Hellens,Dark or White Skinned?
    Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 09:42
Originally posted by Ellinas

If I exclude the area East Laconia and South Kynouria, I' ve seen much more blonds in Crete than in Peloponnesos. And they were native Cretans, not tourists Smile.
i thought cretens were fairer and taller to (on average). Also there can be more recent migartions to explain some of the fairness in laconia (slavs and arvanites). please read some

Karpathians are also dorian but are quite dark, so i dont know if such splits are relevant.

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 11:07
And Venetians in Crete.

No Cretans are not so tall.
Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 09:39

Arvanitic and Vlach ancestry is not that present in Laconia, as it is in Argolis.

To be more specific, the only places of Peloponnesos with pure Dorian populations are Tsakonia and Mani, these areas I was reffering to when I said I' ve seen people with too light curly hair. They were solitary cases, but they still exist in these areas, as in other parts of Greece (from Thessaly and Souther) it is extremely difficult to find people with such appearance.

Edited by Ellinas - 29-Jun-2006 at 09:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 22:43
Ellinas ou should put a picture up.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 06:39

Arvanitic and Vlach ancestry is not that present in Laconia, as it is in Argolis.

To be more specific, the only places of Peloponnesos with pure Dorian populations are Tsakonia and Mani, these areas I was reffering to when I said I' ve seen people with too light curly hair. They were solitary cases, but they still exist in these areas, as in other parts of Greece (from Thessaly and Souther) it is extremely difficult to find people with such appearance.

I think i must explain my position better. I see this as a result of language shift not race. This shift is a phenomena (normally followed by a change in identity) that does not reflect race alone. So spliting greeks in ancient linguistic lines ignores older and more complex divisons. Can 'dorian' dodecanese greeks be considered closer with manioti or tsakonian than other islanders?

and is dorian a race or a languge?

as for the slavs, i read they did settle in laconia and eventually became greeks. (though i wont say this for those regions like tsakonia or Inner Mani)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 07:00
So are Dorians Slavs(ethnicity) or Greeks???

Edited by machine - 30-Jun-2006 at 07:01
Greek Tragedy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Greek Tragedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 13:28
white skinned , ya white skinned with pale pinkness, in a climate that was probably warmer back then. i stay away from Nordic thinking minds, they were tan and olive and had dark hair.
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 14:21
Originally posted by machine

So are Dorians Slavs(ethnicity) or Greeks???

Greeks. Slavs came in the area more than 15 centuries later.
Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 16:40
Leonidas the Dorians were a race. Even if the word used also to describe dialects (ex. Tsakonian is a Doric dialect). When I am speaking about Dorian remnants, I mean genetical remnants not linguistic.
There were immigration of Slavs to some parts of Greece, but in Peloponnese this was not so intense. The few Slavs of Peloponnese were completely annihilated. The Slavic remnants of Greece today are in Macedonia and Thessaly.

Machine the Slavs have no relation with the Dorians. The Dorians were Greek tribes which originated from North Macedonia and Epirus and immigrated to South Greece in about 12th century BC. The Slavs are people who originated from Northeast Europe and came in the Balkans the 6th century AD.
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 17:20
Dorians were the last greek tribe which came to southern Greece (descent of Dorians) and they had the most significant impact on the formation of the greek nation until today.

They were dinaric, with lighter skin.They were not blond or anything... None of the greek tribes were nordic...

And why do you refer only Laconia as a doric region? Phocis was also inhabited by Dorians.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 18:07
Originally posted by dorian

Dorians were the last greek tribe which came to southern Greece (descent of Dorians) and they had the most significant impact on the formation of the greek nation until today.

In what way ?
I doubt they were so noumerous (take a look at the numbers of "Omoioi" in Sparta for example.
They spread only in a part of Greece.
And finally,and most important,they werent the most significant culturally.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 19:20
I wouldnt put the Greeks or ancient Hellens as White skinned, probably more Olive type of skin tone similar to what one finds today in other mediterranean peoples (southern Italians, Cypriot, Lebanese, Northern Libyans, Morrocan and Tunisians).  Also many Turkish, Iranians, Afghans and Pakistanis have strong Greek looking features as well probably owing to the fact that they where part of the Greek empire and had several cities in them to which Greeks had travelled to.  I think that over time the original  features and tone of modern day Greeks have somewhat been admixed with the Slavs and possibly other more European races.  Not to say that original Greek genes are not still present, but a slight change has occured nonetheless.

Edited by Hellenic - 30-Jun-2006 at 19:22
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 00:41
Hellenic elaborate on this slight mix?? And what would these original Greek genes be exactly???
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 06:49
Originally posted by Hellenic

I wouldnt put the Greeks or ancient Hellens as White skinned, probably more Olive type of skin tone similar to what one finds today in other mediterranean peoples (southern Italians, Cypriot, Lebanese, Northern Libyans, Morrocan and Tunisians).  Also many Turkish, Iranians, Afghans and Pakistanis have strong Greek looking features as well probably owing to the fact that they where part of the Greek empire and had several cities in them to which Greeks had travelled to.  I think that over time the original  features and tone of modern day Greeks have somewhat been admixed with the Slavs and possibly other more European races.  Not to say that original Greek genes are not still present, but a slight change has occured nonetheless.

Yeah, maybe we should inaugurate a new race other than white, black, yellow and red.... The greek race, which looks like a mix of Africans and Arabs and some European tribes brought to Greeks some "european tone" on their appearance... Thanks to few Slavs whose features are still present 1500 years later Confused, we look european... That's Hellenic's theory!!!
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 07:08
Originally posted by Digenis

In what way ?
I doubt they were so noumerous (take a look at the numbers of "Omoioi" in Sparta for example.
They spread only in a part of Greece.
And finally,and most important,they werent the most significant culturally.

Dorians spread in Central Greece, Peloponnisos and the islands of southern Aegean, so in whole southern Greece. Let alone that Macedonians were Dorians too.

Even they were one of the most wild tribes and they were not as civilised as the other greek tribe, they had an impact on the culture of classic Greece (iron, doric architecture style, choral lyrics).

Finally, when we talk about a tribe we are referring to a group of people who speak the same language (this is the most important), have the same religion and culture. Indo-europeans didn't include Greeks, Slavs, Illyrians etc but greek-speaking, slavic-speaking, illyrian-speaking populations, all relatives between each other who formed different nations in terms of culture and genetically as well.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 08:10
Originally posted by dorian

Dorians spread in Central Greece, Peloponnisos and the islands of southern Aegean, so in whole southern Greece. Let alone that Macedonians were Dorians too.

Macedonians is not clear that were Dorians.
This comes out of a mention of Herodotos,as well as some linguistic elements. (the use of "alpha" instead of  "eta" ine many words.)

Hesiodus in his Cosmology,presents Macedon as brother of Magnes-the founder of Magnesia in mount.Pelion-Thessaly.

Pella's katadesmos,a text of the 4th cent BC,which is the only surviving full text of Macedonian dialect,shows a dialct similar to the Aeolian dialect.

Even they were one of the most wild tribes and they were not as civilised as the other greek tribe, they had an impact on the culture of classic Greece (iron, doric architecture style, choral lyrics).

Of course they had their impact in Greek culture,but for sure this cannot be compared with the Athenian ,or even Ionian impact.

Edited by Digenis - 01-Jul-2006 at 08:12
Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 14:55
To Dorian:
I didn't said Dorians were Nordics or they were all blonds. I just said they had lighter skin and hair from the rest of the Hellenic tribes, therefore the blonds were most frequent to them.
I also did not said Laconia is the only Doric region, I mentioned some places were I observated intense Dorian ancestry.

To Hellenic:
If we can say that there was a slight genetic influence in the genetics of the Greeks, this would come from the Arvanites and the Vlachs, not the Slavs. The Slavs who did not annihilated in Greek lands were only a few, and they still keep their minorities till today.

Edited by Ellinas - 01-Jul-2006 at 14:58
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 06:06

To Dorian:
I didn't said Dorians were Nordics or they were all blonds. I just said they had lighter skin and hair from the rest of the Hellenic tribes, therefore the blonds were most frequent to them.
I also did not said Laconia is the only Doric region, I mentioned some places were I observated intense Dorian ancestry.

To Hellenic:
If we can say that there was a slight genetic influence in the genetics of the Greeks, this would come from the Arvanites and the Vlachs, not the Slavs. The Slavs who did not annihilated in Greek lands were only a few, and they still keep their minorities till today.

It's possible that Vlachs of Greece are of greek origin so we cannot talk about their contribution.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 07:25
Originally posted by Hellenic

I think that over time the original  features and tone of modern day Greeks have somewhat been admixed with the Slavs and possibly other more European races.  Not to say that original Greek genes are not still present, but a slight change has occured nonetheless.

It's good that some greeks started to accept the truth Smile

Edited by Anton - 02-Jul-2006 at 07:30
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 13:37

It's good that some greeks started to accept the truth 

Again,we talk about a slight difference.Overall,i found idiotic to talk about genes.Everyone can be characterized as a Hellen nowadays.The only thing to do is to learn Hellenic language,history and ethics ,and love the civilization.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>