Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were Scythians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Dark Lord View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dark Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were Scythians?
    Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 00:24
From anthropological cranial analysis at Scythian grave sites, they are definitely of Caucasoid ethnicity, specifically, Aryan. The Eurasian steppe was the ancestral homeland of the proto-Indo-European language and people.

Dark Lord.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 08:19
"... specifically Aryan"

What the heck does that mean? We don't have any "Aryan" type to refer to - one could perfectly say that locusts are "Aryan".

For all purposes, "Aryan" is just an ethnolingustic concept that applies to Central and South Asia, Iran included - but nothing more. definitively one can't speak of "Aryan" athropometry because there's no such thing.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by prsn41ife

Originally posted by oghuzkb

Now a quastion for you,you seem quite sure that Scythians are Iranians,of course I wont deny the possibilities.But how can you so sure to say they are iranians without enough facts,did not you see what we are discussing here is far before Jesus born, we even dont have any inscriptions from themselves about their identity yet.So I will still leave my quastions until got a firm evidence,at least this is my own right .You are from so called" freedom country" are not you? so dont treat me as you are a dictator.

im not a historian nor an archeaologist, and neither are you.

you are asking us to show you scythian writing, or some piece of physical evidence which is impossible because we dont have access to these and nor do we know where to get them from.

i know they are iranian for one simple fact:

the fact is that all historians agree they are historians (atleast most). all reputable encyclopaedia's say they are iranic, every source i have ever read say they are iranic.

since i am not a historian myself, i have to rely on these people, and since you are also not a historian, you also have to rely on these people.

let me ask you this, show me evidence that prooves scythians are not iranic....

this can go both ways, we just have to accept what historians write because they are the experts.

if historians say that scythians are not iranic then who am i to argue with them.  most say that they are iranic, and that is good enough for me.

good thing,you are admitting that we dont have scythian writing and physical evidence,see ,this is exactly my basis why there is an uncertainty.

I checked some encyclopeadia and historical papers,and sure there are lot of people claiming that their language is eastern Iranian.Their idea depends on greek sources as below:

Some scholars ascribe certain "Runic" inscriptions found in Eastern Europe and Central Asia to the Scythians, but apart from that there are no extant texts in Scythian; however, the personal names found in the contemporary Greek literary and epigraphic texts suggest that the language of the Scythians and the Sarmatians (who spoke a dialect of Scythian according to Herodotus, Hist. 4.117) has strong similarities to well-attested Eastern Iranian dialects such as Sogdian and Modern Ossetic.

But I also find something different from Wikipedia as below,look,these are also facts: 

Traditions of the Turkic Kazakhs and Yakuts (who call themselves "Sakha"); the Marathas of India; the Picts; the Gaels; the Hungarians; Serbs and Croats; also include mention of Scythian origins, among others.

It cannot be said with certainty that all of those variously referred to as Scythians or Saka spoke Iranian languages, or that they were genetically related to the stock of Iranian's original speakers. They may have only had an Iranian speaking elite, and the mother tongues of the peoples they dominated might have been Proto-Germanic, Proto-Slavic, Indo-Aryan, and/or even Tocharian (this could explain the presence of Tocharian in the east). See Non-Indo-European roots of Germanic languages and Mathematical approaches to comparative linguistics.

Scythian elite were buried in kurgans, high barrows heaped over chamber-tombs of larch-wood ! a deciduous conifer that may have had special significance as a tree of life-renewal, for it stands bare in winter. Burials at Pazyryk in the Altai Mountains have included some spectacularly preserved Scythians of the "Pazyryk culture" ! including the "Ice Maiden" of the 5th century BC.

Saka is the usual Persian term, while Scythian is a Greek term.  Their language is poorly known, but seems to have originally been a member of the Iranian family (though some question whether this applied to all stratas of their society, or only the ruling class at various times).

Among others, modern Kazakhs (especially the branch known as "Saks") claim descent from the Sakas. The Sakha people of Siberia (see Yakuts) also claim descent from a remnant of the earlier Saka people. Additionally, although the evidence is dated and the technology utilized still in its infancy, DNA analysis conducted at the Novosibirsk Institute of Cytology and Genetics has found Kazakhs and Altai people to be the nearest relatives among competing Mongol-Turkic clans of a Scythian from the Pazyryk burial in Siberia.

Archeological evidence and histographies shows a worldview of Sakas, similar to that of ancient German and Scandinavian traditions and closely related to that of present-day Kazakhs and Mongols. It is theorized that they believed Man was a part of the Universe, Cosmos, Heaven, Sun, mountains, river, in total nature, and shows close affinities with Shamanism and Tengriism which are still practiced today, from Kazakhstan to Siberia which conceive of God as related to Cosmic laws and forces. However, modern Kazakhs are Muslim, most modern Mongols are Buddhists, and Siberian shamanism is not known to be directly connected to Indo-European religion.

Here I would like to add something.Even though modern Khazak,Uighurs are muslim,but there are still lot shamanism practice among them.

Rudenko initially assigned the neutral label Pazyryk culture for these nomadic pasturalists of horses and dated them to the 5th century BC. The Pazyryk culture has since been connected with the Scythians, one of the earliest known Altaic people described by the ancient Greeks, whose very similar tombs are found across the steppes. It has been suggested that Pazyryk was a homeland for these tribes before they migrated west. There is also the possibility that the current inhabitants of the Altai region are descendants of the Pazyryk culture, a continuity that would accord with current ethnic politics: DNA is now being used to study the Pazyryk mummies

Bottom line is, Turkish people may have been originated Scythians(Sakas).This is a one possibilty of course. Cause there are lots scythians burials in Altay region,and its well known fact that Turks originated from Altay ,depending on folklore,legends,inscriptions and chinese sources.Modern uighur historians also claiming this theory.

Edited by oghuzkb
ALLAH gave us two books---Quran and Nature.        ---Jamaliddin Efghany
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 11:07

To date, no widely accepted explanation exists for the origin of the Scythians, nor how they migrated to the Caucasus and Ukraine; but many scholars conjecture that they migrated westward from Central Asia between 800 BC and 600 BC------  From wikipedia

See,here it said they moved to westward from central asia,not to south!

Dark Lord View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Quote Dark Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 11:53
Aryan is the proper racial classification - subdivided into Mediterranean, Alpine and Nordic.

Dark Lord.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 11:57
According to whom? Stormfront or the Nuremburg race convention?
Dark Lord View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Quote Dark Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:00
According to credible historians not inhibited by "political correctness".

Dark Lord.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:17

good thing,you are admitting that we dont have scythian writing and physical evidence,see ,this is exactly my basis why there is an uncertainty.

i am not saying that there is no evidence, im saying that i dont posses physical evidence! archeologists and historians have this evidence, not me.

lol

I checked some encyclopeadia and historical papers,and sure there are lot of people claiming that their language is eastern Iranian.Their idea depends on greek sources as below:

Some scholars ascribe certain "Runic" inscriptions found in Eastern Europe and Central Asia to the Scythians, but apart from that there are no extant texts in Scythian; however, the personal names found in the contemporary Greek literary and epigraphic texts suggest that the language of the Scythians and the Sarmatians (who spoke a dialect of Scythian according to Herodotus, Hist. 4.117) has strong similarities to well-attested Eastern Iranian dialects such as Sogdian and Modern Ossetic.

But I also find something different from Wikipedia as below,look,these are also facts: 

Traditions of the Turkic Kazakhs and Yakuts (who call themselves "Sakha"); the Marathas of India; the Picts; the Gaels; the Hungarians; Serbs and Croats; also include mention of Scythian origins, among others.

It cannot be said with certainty that all of those variously referred to as Scythians or Saka spoke Iranian languages, or that they were genetically related to the stock of Iranian's original speakers. They may have only had an Iranian speaking elite, and the mother tongues of the peoples they dominated might have been Proto-Germanic, Proto-Slavic, Indo-Aryan, and/or even Tocharian (this could explain the presence of Tocharian in the east). See Non-Indo-European roots of Germanic languages and Mathematical approaches to comparative linguistics.

Scythian elite were buried in kurgans, high barrows heaped over chamber-tombs of larch-wood ! a deciduous conifer that may have had special significance as a tree of life-renewal, for it stands bare in winter. Burials at Pazyryk in the Altai Mountains have included some spectacularly preserved Scythians of the "Pazyryk culture" ! including the "Ice Maiden" of the 5th century BC.

Saka is the usual Persian term, while Scythian is a Greek term.  Their language is poorly known, but seems to have originally been a member of the Iranian family (though some question whether this applied to all stratas of their society, or only the ruling class at various times).

Among others, modern Kazakhs (especially the branch known as "Saks") claim descent from the Sakas. The Sakha people of Siberia (see Yakuts) also claim descent from a remnant of the earlier Saka people. Additionally, although the evidence is dated and the technology utilized still in its infancy, DNA analysis conducted at the Novosibirsk Institute of Cytology and Genetics has found Kazakhs and Altai people to be the nearest relatives among competing Mongol-Turkic clans of a Scythian from the Pazyryk burial in Siberia.

Archeological evidence and histographies shows a worldview of Sakas, similar to that of ancient German and Scandinavian traditions and closely related to that of present-day Kazakhs and Mongols. It is theorized that they believed Man was a part of the Universe, Cosmos, Heaven, Sun, mountains, river, in total nature, and shows close affinities with Shamanism and Tengriism which are still practiced today, from Kazakhstan to Siberia which conceive of God as related to Cosmic laws and forces. However, modern Kazakhs are Muslim, most modern Mongols are Buddhists, and Siberian shamanism is not known to be directly connected to Indo-European religion.

Here I would like to add something.Even though modern Khazak,Uighurs are muslim,but there are still lot shamanism practice among them.

Rudenko initially assigned the neutral label Pazyryk culture for these nomadic pasturalists of horses and dated them to the 5th century BC. The Pazyryk culture has since been connected with the Scythians, one of the earliest known Altaic people described by the ancient Greeks, whose very similar tombs are found across the steppes. It has been suggested that Pazyryk was a homeland for these tribes before they migrated west. There is also the possibility that the current inhabitants of the Altai region are descendants of the Pazyryk culture, a continuity that would accord with current ethnic politics: DNA is now being used to study the Pazyryk mummies

this says that they were iranic. i dont know why you posted it.

but if you go far back enough, the origions of every ethnicity can be disputed.

where did turks originate from? who were their ancestors, were they origionally "turkic"? see, there is always the possibility of something, there is also the possibility that dragons existed, but it hasnt been proven so far has it?

the same with ethnicities, it is possible that scythians could have been some other people, but most of the evidence, and historians from the time period of the scythians give us clues to them being iranic.

Bottom line is, Turkish people may have been originated Scythians(Sakas).This is a one possibilty of course. Cause there are lots scythians burials in Altay region,and its well known fact that Turks originated from Altay ,depending on folklore,legends,inscriptions and chinese sources.Modern uighur historians also claiming this theory.

again, you are thinking that turks starting everything.

look at the middle east region, sumerians, assyrians, babylonians, etc... also all origionated in the same place, but that doesnt mean they are the same poeple.

your thinking is wrong, this is the last time im going to explain why your logic is wrong, get that type of thinking out of your head.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:18

To date, no widely accepted explanation exists for the origin of the Scythians, nor how they migrated to the Caucasus and Ukraine; but many scholars conjecture that they migrated westward from Central Asia between 800 BC and 600 BC------  From wikipedia

my friend, you are confusing yourself even more.

scythians never came down into the middle east. persians, medes, parthians, etc... and other iranic tribes did, but not scythians. scythians, along with ossetians, and some other iranic tribes went to russia and eastern europe.

you are confusing scythians with the other iranic tribes that migrated south.

i suggest you calm down, relax, think slowly, because you are really confused right now.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:29

Originally posted by Dark Lord

According to credible historians not inhibited by "political correctness".

Dark Lord.

Name them.

Aryan does not refer to Meds, Aplines or Nordics; it specifically refers to the Indo-Iranian branch of the IE tree.  Now, using that as an ethno-racial label in a modern context is ridiculous, maybe if referring to proto Indo-Iranians it is acceptable, just like Germanic is for the ancestors of Danes, Dutch et al.

There is no such thing as an "Aryan" skull measurement in anthrpological science.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:30

my friend, you are confusing yourself even more.

scythians never came down into the middle east.

Yes they did.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 12:33

Persians, Medes, parthians and other related groups were originally from the steppes, where they cohabited or competed with each other, including the Scythians.  It was perhaps this competition that forced the migration of some groups into Iran and other Westward.

The Scythians most certainly came to Northern Iran and usurped the Medes for a while.

oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:02

this says that they were iranic. i dont know why you posted it.

where did turks originate from? who were their ancestors, were they origionally "turkic"? see, there is always the possibility of something, there is also the possibility that dragons existed, but it hasnt been proven so far has it?

again, you are thinking that turks starting everything.

Read carefully please again, if you still have same idea after wards ,then I would say your mind totally occupied with Iranian stuff. I have read it very clearly, langugae of saka seems iranian. Here "it seems " means it is probabley like,not mean it is! you are saying that they are iranian,and your evidence is only language,but see,this evidece is also uncertain.

So,according to your idea ,Turks originated from somewhere middle of the nowhere,right? I think you went too far,this is kinda racist idea.

I am not saying turkish start everything,read carefully again please,I am saying scythians started something,but not all!!!

oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:11

look at the middle east region, sumerians, assyrians, babylonians, etc... also all origionated in the same place, but that doesnt mean they are the same poeple.

Here ,finally agree with you.So this means eastern Scythians,some Iranic tribes and Turks originated from Altay region,but this does not mean they are the same people.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:44

Read carefully please again, if you still have same idea after wards ,then I would say your mind totally occupied with Iranian stuff. I have read it very clearly, langugae of saka seems iranian. Here "it seems " means it is probabley like,not mean it is! you are saying that they are iranian,and your evidence is only language,but see,this evidece is also uncertain.

well if you apply that logic to everything, then what kind of a world is this?

is there even a world? just because it seems there is a world does it really exist?

do humans really exist? are turks really chinese? are chinese reall german?

So,according to your idea ,Turks originated from somewhere middle of the nowhere,right? I think you went too far,this is kinda racist idea.

I am not saying turkish start everything,read carefully again please,I am saying scythians started something,but not all!!!

wow, you dont understand sarcasm or reverse psychology.

and you obviously dont know what racism means. wow, who am i debating with?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:45

Here ,finally agree with you.So this means eastern Scythians,some Iranic tribes and Turks originated from Altay region,but this does not mean they are the same people.

yes, the turkic people and the iranic people are not related for that exact reason.

therefore, all the iranic tribes, such as the scythians, are seperate from the turkic tribes, such as the huns.

Originally posted by Zagros

Yes they did.

so they went through northern iran? i didnt know that, thanks for the heads up.

Edited by prsn41ife
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:50

oghuzkb, i see you seem to be interested in Scythians, can you post a scythian crone and a Sakha/yakut one?

I had seen a "similarity" between them, dont ask me where i saw that

oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 14:45

yes, the turkic people and the iranic people are not related for that exact reason.

therefore, all the iranic tribes, such as the scythians, are seperate from the turkic tribes, such as the huns.

Ok,you try to skip something ,before say that they are iranic,please explain this:

Archeological evidence and histographies shows a worldview of Sakas,  closely related to that of present-day Kazakhs and Mongols. It is theorized that they believed Man was a part of the Universe, Cosmos, Heaven, Sun, mountains, river, in total nature, and shows close affinities with Shamanism and Tengriism which are still practiced today, from Kazakhstan to Siberia which conceive of God as related to Cosmic laws and forces.  Siberian shamanism is not known to be directly connected to Indo-European religion.

I hope you will understand what is nearst relatives.

Edited by oghuzkb
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 15:03
Another base, according to folklore and historical documents,Sakas king Alip er tunga fought with persians around Amu river and  present Turkmenistan.He died one of the war and his sister(some says his niece) named Tumaris continued to fight and also died in a battle.Nowadays these two name represent braverty in turkish.you will find the names Alpatta( abbrevated form of Alip ertunga) and Tumaris very common among uighur turkis. This is another evidence additional to other facts I have posted prior pages.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 15:43

Another base, according to folklore and historical documents,Sakas king Alip er tunga fought with persians around Amu river and  present Turkmenistan.He died one of the war and his sister(some says his niece) named Tumaris continued to fight and also died in a battle.Nowadays these two name represent braverty in turkish.you will find the names Alpatta( abbrevated form of Alip ertunga) and Tumaris very common among uighur turkis. This is another evidence additional to other facts I have posted prior pages.

your agenda is getting clearer and clearer.

turkic people also claim avicenna, and rumi, and khwarizmi, but that doesnt change the fact that everyone knows they are iranic.

so what if turkic people claim something, it doesnt make it true.

if i claim that turkoman's are really iranic does it suddenly become true? no.

are you going to claim norouz also, just because it is teh number one celebration in almost all turkic nations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>