Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The History of Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 29>
Author
Balkh-Aryan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The History of Bulgaria
    Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 18:24
No, You are wrong. "Daba/Deba" as a term for fortifications is a dacian word. the thracian term for fortification is "Diza". It is somehow non expectable the presence of the toponim "Pulpudava" (Phylipopolis/ Filibe/ Plovdiv - my home town). it is the only one that kind of toponim southern then the Balkan mountain. In the thracian language "dava/deva" means exactly "a virgin/ a maiden" as in the iranian languages.
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 18:48
No, You are wrong. "Daba/Deba" as a term for fortifications is a dacian word. the thracian term for fortification is "Diza". It is somehow non expectable the presence of the toponim "Pulpudava" (Phylipopolis/ Filibe/ Plovdiv - my home town). it is the only one that kind of toponim southern then the Balkan mountain. In the thracian language "dava/deva" means exactly "a virgin/ a maiden" as in the iranian languages.
There's no attested Thracian word "dava/deva" meaning "a virgin, a maiden". Many of the Thracian words you list there are not-existent, I assume they are invented by Bulgarian nationalists in order to shift the Turkic linguistic heritage to a Thracian/IE one.
For some scholars Thracian and Dacian were distinct languages, for some Dacian is merely a dialect of Thracian. What's though to be noticed is that there is not one, but two exceptions south of Balkan mountains. One is Pulpudeva, the other is Thermidava (in today Albania, mentioned by Ptolemy). The other suffixes common in Thracian settlements are: -para, -bria, -diza, -dina. But what's worth noticing is that a lot of the -dava/-deva toponyms are placed in today Bulgaria, while not so many of the -diza toponyms (many of them are located in today Turkey).

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Mar-2008 at 18:52
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:05
Thrakian language & Bulgarian language (continuation):

istra (mighty/ turbulent/ impetuous) - struya (spout)/ u-strem-yavam se (rush/ dash...)
ka-byle - bla-to (marsh-land)
kara - gora (wood/ forest); in the slavic languages "gora" means "a mountain"
k(e)ila-s - zjela-n (desired/ wished for...), probably the old form was "ghela(-n)
kenth(-a) - chedo/ mediev. bulg. chendo ((my) child), from old indo-aryan "(s-)ken-to"
kers(-a) - cher-en/ dialect. form cher (black)
ketri - chetiri/ dial. form chet'ri (four)
kist - chist (clean/ pure/ native)
kup-sel(-a) - kub-che (a cube)
kut (glorious) - see kut-rig-ur, proto-bulg. (the people of the possessor); see mediev. bulg. kut/ kat > kunt/ kant (home/ possession)
-le - re (inflexion for a population, for example "blaga-re" = "bulgar-ians")
lazi - losh (bad/ evil/ nasty/ worse/ vicious...)
ma-/ -me - mai-ka/ ma-ma (mother/ mummy)
mara (big/ large/ great) - mer/ -mir (inflexion for a kingliness, for example Mala-mir/ Theodo-mir...; old iranian suffix), in slavic languages it means "world" and also "peace"
mez (stallion) - mez-ka/mas-ka (dialect. form for "a donkey"/ "mule")

I am obliged to say that the greek, albanian and romanian languages are kept a lot of these words. I don't know more or less than the bulgarian language, but really a lot.

UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:10
You are wrong again, just because You don't trust me. All of these words are from the scripts, written on the greek letters, and translated on greek or latin language. I took it from the official sources, and You can check it all. By the way, here I post only the word which have a relation with the bulgarian language. There is a lot which have no relation or with too distant remote, because of the common Indo-aryan origin.
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:21
paibe (a child/ a son) - bebe (baby)
pes ( a boy/ a son) - pich (dialect. & jargon form for guy/ men)
pi - pri (at/ near by/ close to/ to...)
pleist (mostly/ predominantly/ growing elder) - porast-nal (growing elder)
rask ( fast/ queek) - ryazak (abrupt/ jerky...)
res - rugh/ rig/ rih... (a king); see the assyrian "shur = rih", latin "rex", celt. "rix", got. "rih", engl. "royal"

UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:27

I'd say I'm quite familiar with ancient Balkan inscriptions and the ancient sources and also with the modern lexicons built on them and there are many inacurracies and invented terms, forms and meaning in your lexicon.

Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:32
sabadi - svoboden (free)/ svoboda (a freedom)
sak (a power) - see dialect. form sakam, today's iskam (I want)
salt - zlato/ zlaten (gold/ golden)
sauzu - suh (dry)
semele - see mediev. bulg. zemlya, today's zemya (an earth/ a land/ a country)
skapt - ra-zkop-an (dig/ excavated)
spinth - svetya (to shine)
stara - star (old)
stryme - see above stremya se/ struya...
suetul - svetal/ svetul (light/ bright/ fair...)

UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:33
Obviously, You are not very familiar with this inscriptions.
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:36
I'm sure you can prove me wrong by showing me those inscriptions I'm not familiar with. Let's start with the one which proves the Thracians said "deva" to "virgin, maiden". Wink

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Mar-2008 at 19:37
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:56
Sorry. it was necessary to escape from the forum for a while. In fact, I am too glad to talk at last with someone, who is familiar with this case. Thank You, Chibudios!
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 19:57
O.K. I will do it immediately. 
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by brunodam

Very interesting post. But a bit confusing with too many data. Anyway here it is a website about the history of the Bulgars:    www.hunmagyar.org/turan/tatar/bulgar.html

This is a totaly anti-scientific and false site, full of lies and fancies.

As a Vlach from northern Bulgaria (near Vidin) I will try to answer your questions

Aren't you calling yourself Romanians?

Bulgars, Tocharians, Cimmerians and Thracians are the same peoples or linked? incredible, I've never heard of such a theory I hope you can proove it.

Is fancy. Bulgars were Turcik language people, Cimmerians were Iranian, Thracians were an independant linguistic branch.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 20:41
Dear Balkh_Aryan, unfortunately 90% of the words you posted are Slavic all these words you can find not only in Russian but also in Polish, Czech and other Western Slavic languages (where Bulgarian influence was minimum).

I don't see how can one possible establish any Thracian, Iranian etc. connection there. This is a pure fantazy.  Unhappy

I don't mean anything bad but it reminds me of the attempt of one crazy Russian neo "historian" to prove that Etruscans were Russians (of course etRuscans !). According to him even the disc of Festus also represents the earliest form of Russian language. Confused

Edited by Sarmat12 - 24-Mar-2008 at 20:49
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 20:46
I just try to apologize I have not a greek's alphabet on my PC, so I will write using the latinian one. The variant "dea/ deba" is really borrowed in the thracian language from dako-moessian, in meaning "town", but "town of the maiden". I don't know why and how. But in fact from the  Samothracian  writings is reconstructed form "Da-was" (from DAIIA), which is probably in third personal singular from "Demeter Iuves" (from old indo-aryan "yu-a-t/ Yuo/ iuvo") - "The divine Demetra" (by the way the samothracian writings call her also DENA/ DINA), and bearing in mind it is Demetra - the goddess of fertility, maybe this is a comparatively reasonable explanation of this "virgin/ maiden", even we know well she wasn't any virgin. If she was, how she could be the goddess of fertility? So, this is my explanation. may be it is not perfect, but this is I know. Anyway it is not a product of the brain of some crazy bulgarian linguist. Sorry if my answer don't satisfied you.
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 20:54
If we accept this words are slavish, why they exist in the albanian? I will not ask about the romanian, because it is clear that in romanian was a slavic influence. Logic: how this words can be slavish if they are in the thracian language, which is much more old?
Why do You sure in the polish, czech and etc. wasn' t bulgarian influence? Did You forget about Cyril and matodius? This words are in solution by the linguists. I can not debating with them. Can You? So, if some words existed in the slavic languages, don't hurry up to determine them as a slavish words. Have You got any documents showed which language was spoken by the slavish before 6th century?
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 20:58
No, I don't think the etruscians was russian. At first the term "Russ" is sarmatian one, but not scandinavian or slavish. About the etruscians you can see the books of academic Vladimir Georgiev. He is may be one of the best linguists ever.
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 21:13
Albanian bears. Slavic influence as well. But could you please show that all the words you posted do have Albanian equivalents?

Honestly, I just think it makes much more sense that those words are originally Slavic, but not borrowings from Anciant Bulgar language.

Of course Russians are not Etruscans, I just cited that theory like another fantazy.

Finally, I have to say that Rus definetely has Germano/Scandinavian origins this is an accepted fact. Rus is just the name which was used for vikings in Arabic and Buzantine chronicles it doesn't relate to Sarmatians.
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 21:14
Hi, Menumorut1 I have something interesting for You. It is impossible to explain how exactly the gets became a gemanian tribe/ gots? Because the gottic writers them selves called their people GETI. I meen Jordanes, Enodius, Casiodorus and etc. "got's" writers.
Is this also fancy?
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 21:19
The most of this words have albanian equivalents. even they had have not, this don't change the fact this words was used by the ancient thracians. long before the science to hear about the slavic. The term "Ross" have not a scandinavian origin, because the first mentiones of "Ross" are about 2 centuries before the scandinavian expansion. Actually, this is the most important argument of adherents of the "slavish teory" of "Ross". Smile
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 21:24
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I don't see how can one possible establish any Thracian, Iranian etc. connection there. This is a pure fantazy.  Unhappy

Ants, a slavonic tribe, was archeologically proven to be mixed with Sarmats -- hence Iranian words in Slavic language (f.e. Bog = God etc.)

I don't mean anything bad but it reminds me of the attempt of one crazy Russian neo "historian" to prove that Etruscans were Russians (of course etRuscans !). According to him even the disc of Festus also represents the earliest form of Russian language. Confused
There is American archeologist of Romanian origin (Florin Curta) suggesting that Slavonic language was lingua franca in Avar khanate and it originated in lower Danube. This can explain most of influences. He is very far from being crazy  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 29>