Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Book club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Book club
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 22:49
Its a fine day, all my paper work will be done I'll almost be on holiday for christmas only thing I can see being tied up with is Sryboirn and the TQ he is thretening to have.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 01:32
Originally posted by JanusRook

(it's checked out till Sept. 2005 WTF ).

That would be me - I checked out every library copy of I Claudius for a 2000 mile radius so that I wouldn't have to worry about finding a copy.  Now I just hope the Library has 700 copies of Monte Cristo.

Dawn - there's a special version published just for you "The Count of Monte Crisco"

that should be long live the Empresses

I bow before your serene majesties.  Doesn't mean that I'll ever submit - but I'm polite enough to bow while remaining the unrepentant vagabond king.  Of course being a vagabond means that there is no actual kingdom.  It's kind of like being ambassador at large, or minister without portfolio, or...

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dragon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 12:50

December 17th!!  I need at least 6 months to read a book as thick as Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo!!  Is there a movie, or maybe an audio book, or can someone call me and read it to me?!?   Tongue Clap lol

17th sounds real good.  Can't wait!!

History is the study of the past that we may understand the present.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 13:13
And after the 17th we all should begin reading war and peace and finish the next day.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 13:59
While playing TQ and preparing for christmas?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 15:15

While playing TQ and preparing for christmas?

Of course and while your at it you should send us all at AE christmas gifts but we won't tell you where we live you'll have to figure that out on your own. LOL, but seriously everyone the 17th is cool for everyone to have had the book mostly read through?

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 00:41

I've started - but I'm kicking myself for forgetting how long the thing is.  What fool would vote for a book that .. Oh wait - that was me. 

I think we can perhaps go on with discussion about the early parts of the book while we wait for everyone to finish it.  I predict July, 2006 for me.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 09:49
Originally posted by vagabond

I've started - but I'm kicking myself for forgetting how long the thing is.  What fool would vote for a book that .. Oh wait - that was me. 

I think we can perhaps go on with discussion about the early parts of the book while we wait for everyone to finish it.  I predict July, 2006 for me.

??? I'm I reading the wrong book? was it war and peace not the Count I was to read?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:39
ha, i've already read Voina i Mir, do I have to re-read it?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 11:12

Has anyone else read part or all of it (The count of Monte Cristo not war and peace) yet?  

Vagabond - If I can finish it in 3 day while sick you can finish befor July or are your eyes giving out)

Edited by Dawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 18:48
I've read both. We are talking about the classic works right?

I am a Noob in this thread.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 22:53
Yes we are talking(or about to talk ) about the classic works. At the moment the book club is reading The count of Monte Cristo. The war and peace thing was just a small joke. Very soon there will be a thread started for the discussion. I hope you will join in.
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 19:16

It would probably take about half a year to read Tolstoy's war and Peace, although it does look like an interesting book. The Count of Monte Cristo is a great choice, it has a historical background, is very well written and you will look like a fool if you choose to rent the film instead, considering the film adaptation with Jim Caviezel and Guy Pearce departs considerably from Dumas' novel.

When you out there do read it, I'll probably think the best parts of the novel are when Edmond is in prison and my personal favourite, his triumphant escape where based on excitment and creativity is the graetest escape from prison I have ever seen, read or heard about. But, I deter my self now and save my thoughts for the forum.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 17:16

Suggested Reading:

The Spartans: The World of the Warrior-Heroes of Ancient Greece by Paul Cartledge.

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 11:35
Glad someone took some initiative, sorry I haven't been around to contribute, I've been snowed in for the past few days, just got out two days ago.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 15:44

Another great historical novel is All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 01:48

For January - How about the Menzies "1421 - The year that China..."

There's a lot of interest about it - there has been some discussion about it already on some of the boards here - (and the library has a copy that I might be able to get in January.)

It's lighter reading that we have done up to this point - but I can't wait to see what he has to say (several friends have already started seriously debunking him - and from what I've read about his work - I'll probably join them.) 

Not that I would ever make up my mind before reading his thoughts - of course...

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 15:16

Did the Club die?

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 19:11
No ma'am....I've been busy reading the new books I got for Christmas.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 23:17

I'm still game.

Just let me know what we are reading in time to get it from the library.

Have now read all of 1421 - don't bother - he's a kook.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>