Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 46>
Author
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 19:47
Thank goodness for Christmas and good friends who know I love books.  As a result, I'm now reading Plutarch's "Fall of the Roman Empire" and have the Complete works of Josephus on my list of things to read next.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 19:58

OK - I've stoped reading babout Indians and theology for the time being.

Got David Baron's "The Beast in the Garden" for Christmas - have finished it already - a good, balanced account of the problems that come up when wildlife and surburbia meet.  The primary focus of the book is the Mountain Lion problem in the Boulder, Colorado area. 

Seems that the Mountain Lions got used to the people being around, started eating their pets, got more used to people being around and started eating the people.  No - this is not 1860 - it begins with a missing person/murder investigation in 1991.

I've also started a survey of Greek history that I was given - more of a coffee table book "Ancient Greece - The Dawn of the Western World"  published by Barnes and Noble, text by Furio Durando.  The photos are very good - but the photo credits are somewhat lacking in two areas - don't always cite provenance or current location (which collection) for artifacts pictured.  Information is somewhat limited - thin and a bit sketchy - as it always is in this type of book.

And I've just started Menzie's "1421 - ..."  needed a bit of fantasy to go with everything else.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 20:06
Originally posted by vagabond

No - this is not 1860 - it begins with a missing person/murder investigation in 1991.

Here we have a problem with them as well. Every year a few pets go missing and there is usually a siting or three (although we call them cougers they are the same animal). Rarly are people attacked though. the wonders of living in the mountains.

Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 06:11

I am reading Rebels-the Irish Rising Of 1916

It has been great so far.     

J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 13:02
The Battle of Kursk - David M. Glantz...pretty good.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 15:15
well just started a novel by Rosalind Miles , I,Elizabeth looks like it might be good. Nice change after Claudius the God and all that Arthur stuff.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 23:35

Currently laughing my way through a collectin of Mark Twain's short stories.  No one writes comedy like he does.

Have also just finished "The English Patient."  Excellent read - beautifully crafted with fine prose.  Interesting as the movie was also a very good one - and also well written - not exactly parallel but did not detract from the book.

We die containing a richness of lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have plunged into and swum up as if rivers of wisdom, characters we have climbed into as if trees, fears we have hidden in as if caves. I wish for all of this to be marked on my body when I am dead. I believe in such cartography - to be marked by nature, not just to label ourselves on a map like the names of rich men and women on buildings. We are communal histories, communal books. We are not owned or monogamous in our taste or experience. All I desired was to walk upon such an earth that had no maps.

Edited by vagabond
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 15:29
After finishing I Elizabeth(ok but not great - to much romance) I'm trying an Eco one again -not going well ,in two chapters and don't have much interest. hummm.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 15:38

Originally posted by Dawn

I'm trying an Eco one again -not going well ,in two chapters and don't have much interest. hummm.

Wich one? I'm finishing his "Travels in Hyperreality" at the moment.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 15:47
Foucault's Pendulum and I think it was a post by you that got me to try it again.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 15:58
Foucault's Pendulum has some very tricky and apparently uninteresting first chapters. But I can assure you that once you get past that it is well worth reading. I just hope you weren't expecting an Historical romance like "The Name of the Rose" or "Baudolino".  
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 16:03
No I actually dislike romances - if you had said it was that would have made me give up again  but since I'm not reading anything else at the moment I think I'll stick with it awhile longer just cause you seem to like it so much and claim it gets better.
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 09:25
Right now i'm reading Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian. It's about the life of "lucky" Jack Aubrey during the napoleonic wars, and his friend Dr. Stephen Maturin. A great read, if you liked hornblower and the film master and commander : far side of the world you'll love these books. There are 20 of them so you'll have someting to read on for quite a while
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 08:43

I began to read the Book named "Metal Firtina"(Metal Storm).The book was written by Orkun Uar and Burak Turna who are young Turkish writers.

The book is a political-fiction,it is about the war between Turkey and the USA in the year 2007.The war starts with an attack of Americans to the Turkish naval rangers on Northern Iraq.

The book caused a sensation in Turkey,it has been bought by 75.000 people in 1.5 months.

The cover of Metal Firtina

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 13:52
I am reading Emile Zola's "coalminers". Is there the life likeness to the real life of the modern miners of France, or of all of Europes miners of that time? If any of you guys know anthing about the book, or care about the worker employeer relationship at that time then speak up. Any opinions about the contents would be great and might even help me get a better grade for it.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 14:40
Two great books for Native American history buffs

Saga of the Coeur D'Alene Indian Nation: An Account of Chief Joseph Seltice

Life Among the Piutes: Their Wrongs and Claims (Vintage West Series)

Conquest of Gaul is still one of my favorite by julius Caesar!!
Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 16:26
Gates of Fire   

"Europe and Asia are finally mine. Woe to Chritendom. She has lost her sword and shield."
Ottoman Sultan after hearing of the death of Skenderbeg.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 14:38

I'm reading Orlando Furioso (prosified translatian into English). So far, its interesting. I've also ordered Chattering Courtesans and Other Sardonic Sketches by Lucian (Penguin Classics). Is it worth it? And how good a writer is Ammianus Marcelinus? I was thinking about ordering that one too.

I've ordered Xenophon's Persian Expedition almost a year ago, and it still hasn't arrived

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Drunt Ba'adur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drunt Ba'adur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 07:04
"The Thousand Nights and a Night"
I began a few days ago and it seems good

And when i finish that i would read:
The First World War:A Complete History by Martin Gilbert
Antiochus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Antiochus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 17:23
Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. Its damn good book.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 46>