Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Turcoman Tribes (1882)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Shir View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Turcoman Tribes (1882)
    Posted: 15-May-2006 at 08:02

Migrations of Tribes

The Turcoman Tekke tribes of Merv has two tribes the Toktamish, on the eastern bank of the river, and the Otamish, on the western...

**No matter how interesting and fond we (I included) may be about these tribes and their history, this post is edited for not writing a summary of your own and for copy/pasting an article.** -Seko

Edited by Seko
TŰRKMENISTAN WE TŰRKIE IKI DWLET, BIR MILLET!
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 22:45

What are the names of the names of the 9 Turkmen tribes?

Teke
Yomut
Arisary
Salyr
Chowder
Saryk
?
?
?

And if you have information on the break of subtribes or clans within each tribe, the info would be much appreciated.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 21:46
The main Turkmen clans, the ones listed on the flag are the

Teke
Ersary
Yomut
Sarik
Chowdor

Other main clans are

Goklen
Salor
Igdir
Karadashli
Alili
Yazyr
Bayat
Afshar
etc....

Some of these clans are huge and have sub-tribes and branches going off into different countries.

Just look at the Afshar clan map.

The main sub-tribes and branches are listed and this stretches from Turkmenistan across Iran, Azerbaycan to Turkey.

The Teke one of the most powerful clans of present day Turkmenistan, the province of Antalya in modern-day Turkey was called the "Teke Sanjak" in the Beylik and Ottoman eras.

The Salur are present in China to modern-day Turkey.

Magtymguly
Trkmenler baglasa bir yere bili
Gurydar gulzumy deryayi Nili.
Teke yomut gokleng yazyr alili
Arsary hem saryk hem salyr ili
Bir dowlede gulluk etsek barymyz
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 16:41
Bulldog, most of the tribes you listed as 'other main tribes' are not main tribes actually. We've got 9 main tribes:

Tekke, Yomut, Kokleng, Salur, Saryq, Ersary, Qara, Chowdur, Al Illy.

All others are sub-divisions of these 9 main tribes. By the way, do you know the meaning of the word 'Tekke' (Turkmen: Teke)? Although the word "Tekke" is given as a title to the Turkmen tribe, it's a common Turkic word (not exclusive to Turkmen or Turkish).

Edited by gok_toruk - 25-Nov-2007 at 17:03
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 20:27
The Akhal-Teke horse breed originated in Turkmenistan and was named after the Tekke people of the Akhal oasis.
Windemere
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 21:54
The Yivli Minare

A Teke Turkmen monument in Antalya-Turkey.

Edited by Bulldog - 25-Nov-2007 at 22:05
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 07:10
Thanks.  Goklen are mostly in Iran right? Al Illy?  Where are they?  Do you know what tribe the Turkmen in Kerkuk, Iraq belong to?

@ Bulldog 
My understanding is that the Afshar's were a clan from the Uli sub-tribe of the Arisary.  As were the Aq and Ghara Ghoyinlilar.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 18:14
Turkmen of Iraq are predominantly from the "Bayat" Turkmens

Also alot of Begdilli and the tribes which made up the Kara and Aq-koyunlu.
Albert Pine

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 19:41
why is avsar/afshar separate and not counted as Turkmen Confused

Edited by xi_tujue - 28-Nov-2007 at 19:42
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 22:06

Its an unlogical and misleading chart because it would lead somebody who had no knowledge of Turkic or anything to do with Turks into thinking, "Azeri"/"Afshar"/"Qashqai"/"Turkish"/"Turkmen" are totally different languages when a speaker of any of them can understand a speaker of another.

It would be alot clearer if they simply seperated it into, "Oghuz", "Kipchak", "Karluk/Chaghtai" etc

And I really don't have a clue whose idea it was to include Afshar as if it was some foreign entity.

Also as Afshar actually live in Azerbaycan, Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan and that they list that "Azeri"/"Turkish" are different languages, how is it that Afshars language arn't. Also its suggesting that Afshars can';t understand Turkish speakers in Turkey or Azerbaycan or Iran Confused

Good Oghuz Avsar sites

http://www.avsarobasi.com/

The clans page

If you know Turkish

Afshars are one of the 24 Oghuz clans listed by Kashgarli Mahmud, they are from the Boz-ok branch.
Albert Pine

alish View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote alish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 23:23
In fact, uzbeks are a lot more than stated above... Over 40mln ......
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 23:55
If you count that Uygur-Oz'bek has very high mutual intellegibility and that most speakers of Turki in Afganistan speak the same Turkic then the figure is over 40 million.

The pie-charts stats are misleading.

Also for example, it states that "Tatar" is 5 million but there are over 20 million Tatars...

Edited by Bulldog - 28-Nov-2007 at 23:57
Albert Pine

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 04:42
Kklengs mostly live in northeastern Iran, close to Turkmenistan border. By the way, I would say Uzbek and Uighur are closer to Turkmen than Azeri or Qashqay.

Edited by gok_toruk - 29-Nov-2007 at 04:45
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 18:49
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Kklengs mostly live in northeastern Iran, close to Turkmenistan border. By the way, I would say Uzbek and Uighur are closer to Turkmen than Azeri or Qashqay.

I would agree, exept all of them are close.  It is only a matter of training your ear to distinguish individual words before comprehension dawns.  I listened to Uyghur music (muqams mostly) and it sounded like jibberish to me.  Now I can understand a lot of what they are saying.  The process seems to be the same with Azeri.

Its only when you try to speak that more formal training seems necessary.

Thanks for the info on the Kokleng.
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 18:53
Originally posted by Bulldog

Turkmen of Iraq are predominantly from the "Bayat" Turkmens

Also alot of Begdilli and the tribes which made up the Kara and Aq-koyunlu.

But Bayat is not a major tribe? 

My understanding is that the Afsharids, Aq and Kara koyunlu came all under the Uli subtribe of the Arisary?  Where do the Bayat fit into that?

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 16:48
Yes, you're right Khutulun. It depends mostly on how you've got used to them. But still Turkmens can communicate with Uzbeks with no efforts, while it takes time to get used to Azeri. Uighur is also really alike.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 19:04
from what i have heared uygur is closer to Anatolian Turkish than it is to Turkmen Ermm
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 20:55
Uygur-Oz'bek are practically the same except Oz'bek Turki contains more lexis from Kipchak Turki.

The lingua-france of Turkistan for centuries was Karakhanid-Karluk-Chaghtai Turki, this had an effect on all the peoples in the region.

Uygur has similarities with Anatolian Turkish because it is classical Turki, the Ottoman Turkish was a development in a different region from this.

Turkmenistan Turkmen is naturally closer to Anatolian Turkish due to both being "Oghuz Turkic". The Turkmen of southern Turkmenistan, Turkmen sahra, Northern Afganistan is close to Azeri/Anatolian Turkish.

Albert Pine

khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 06:21
@ Gok Turok: Turkmen and Uzbeks understand each other because most have experience with the other language...having heard it some time in their lives, they are neighbors.  I've noticed that Uzbeks have a harder time understanding Turkmen, then vice versa.

What's weird is Uyghur sounds like Uzbek spoken with a southern Turkmen accent, lol.  Azeri seems to be spoken with a Northern Turkmen accent (the forced lisp).  The lisp in Northern Turkmen is decidedly missing from Southern Turkmen, or greatly reduced. 

I am only speaking in terms of accents (how they pronounce the words).  I haven't studied the actual linguistic differences.  Unfortunately, I am not fluent in any one of the languages so its harder for me to pick up and understand.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 10:55
Well, for sure. Turkmens and Uzbeks have lived together for a long time; but this is not the only thing that makes Uzbek and Turkmen communicate easier than Azeri.

Southern Turkmen is closer to Anatolian Turkish than to Azeri.

Also Khutulun, Azeri stands behind Uzbek, Uighur and Turkish in cases of similarities with Turkmen in accent. Azeri does not have Northern Turkmen accent AT ALL. Uighur way of pronouncing words is not like Southern Turkmen either.

Edited by gok_toruk - 01-Dec-2007 at 11:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>