Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Holy Roman Empire and the German states

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
naav View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote naav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Holy Roman Empire and the German states
    Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:09
Hi everyone Smile

I read that the Holy Roman Empire was a catholic enterprise.

After the Protestant Reformation and the subsequent Thirty Years war, I read that there was fighting in the German states between the Protestants and the Catholics with different states taking different sides.

I read that the Holy Roman Empire dissolved in 1806 after the Napoleonic wars.

With the German states being part of the Holy Roman Empire, would that not make all of them Catholic by default - at least up until 1806?

Thank you. Smile

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 12:50
No, though Catholic was official religion of the Emperor, in the Augsburg Conference, religious freedom was declared.

Atleast, I believe it was so.
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 12:51
naav, do you have any sources?

i am not really sure about the Catholic enterprise thing.

Edited by Achilles - 31-May-2006 at 12:51
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

naav View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote naav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 15:36
Hi...thank you. Smile

I thought the Holy Roman Empire was a catholic empire as the head of it was the Pope...???...
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 15:45
nope. the head of the Holy roman Empire was the Holy Roman Emperor, elected by the grand electors of all of the states that made up the empire from the candidates(kings). So sometimes the Holy Roman Emperor was the King of Austria, sometimes it was the King of Bavaria, ETC....
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by rider

No, though Catholic was official religion of the Emperor, in the Augsburg Conference, religious freedom was declared.

At Augsburg, (1555?) the doctrine Cuius regio, eius religio was adopted.  The faith of the prince was to be the faith of his subjects.  This ended the first round of religious wars between Catholics and Protestants.  The "Augsburg Confession" of 1530 was a statement of faith that became the basis of the Lutheran Church, and was recognized by the Emperor.

The Church did not officially recognize the Augsburg Confession, and there was no pretense of religious liberty.  The Peace of Augsburg was a political settlement among princes, and only Lutheran princes were recognized.  No Calvinists or Anabaptists, etc.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:07
Originally posted by Achilles

nope. the head of the Holy roman Empire was the Holy Roman Emperor, elected by the grand electors of all of the states that made up the empire from the candidates(kings). So sometimes the Holy Roman Emperor was the King of Austria, sometimes it was the King of Bavaria, ETC....

The Papal Bull of 1346 established the electors of the Emperor, and I think this lasted pretty much unaltered until the Thirty Years War.  The Emperor was never a churchman, although three of the electors were bishops.  The seven electors were:

Bishops of Trier, of Mainz, and of Cologne.

Margrave of Brandenburg, Duke of Saxony, Count palatine of the Rhine, and the King of Bohemia.

Don't ask me how that mix was arrived at.

The Habsburgs pretty much had a lock on the Emperor's role except for one or two brief lapses.

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:13
werent the Hollenzollerns emperors a few times?
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:21

Frederick Barbarossa (12th cent.) was a Hohenstaufen.  I'll have to let that up to the Medieval experts.  I am a bit out of my depth much before 1500. Embarrassed 
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:26
Originally posted by naav

Hi...thank you. Smile

I thought the Holy Roman Empire was a catholic empire as the head of it was the Pope...???...
Actually the correct name would be Roman Empire of German Nation.
naav View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote naav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 18:37
Hi, thank you to all and please excuse my ignorance Smile

1. So between 1555 and 1806 did some or all of the German states of the Holy Roman Empire become Protestant?

2. Did the rest of the Holy Roman Empire (until 1806), consisting of the Habsburg empire, remained Catholic?

3. To beome the 'Holy' Roman Emperor didn't one have to be accepted (read 'blessed') by the Pope? If so, then the Emperor would obviously have to be catholic?

Thank you Smile

Edited by naav - 31-May-2006 at 19:17
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 19:52
Originally posted by naav

Hi, thank you to all and please excuse my ignorance

Everybody's ignorant man don't ever apology.

[/QUOTE] 1. So between 1555 and 1806 did some or all of the German states of the Holy Roman Empire become Protestant? [/QUOTE]

Nope. Basically (very basically) the South (Bavaria and Austria were catholics) and the North (Saxony and Prussia were protestants). But one state that was catholic could become protestant than another kind of protestantism and then again back to the roman faith Over 300 states, don't try to get all the switches, nobody can.

[/QUOTE] 2. Did the rest of the Holy Roman Empire (until 1806), consisting of the Habsburg empire, remained Catholic? [/QUOTE]

Once again it is complicated the Habsburgs (of Austria because their cousins from Spain have also a role in the HRE but it gets tricky there) were both Emperor of the HRE (the head of the confederation in a way) and one of the most powerful prince of this confederation being duke of Austria and elected king of Bohemia among many other titles. Then again in the 18th c. onward the religious matter was less important that the states interest and the pre-nationalistic issues.

[/QUOTE] 3. To beome the 'Holy' Roman Emperor didn't one have to be accepted (read 'blessed') by the Pope? If so, then the Emperor would obviously have to be catholic? [/QUOTE]

Of course the Emperor and latter the Emperor of Austria (19th c.) had to be catholic. As so for instance the successor of the ruling emperor was to be elected 'king of the Roman' (an empty charge but very symbolic). Also After Charles V left the throne to his brother Ferdinand I (1556) no Emperor would go to Italy to be crowned anymore. That said some protestant did try to get elected emperor, but as they never managed we can't know what would have happen.

M.
I am a free donkey!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 03:00
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Originally posted by rider

At Augsburg, (1555?) the doctrine Cuius regio, eius religio was adopted.  The faith of the prince was to be the faith of his subjects.  This ended the first round of religious wars between Catholics and Protestants.  The "Augsburg Confession" of 1530 was a statement of faith that became the basis of the Lutheran Church, and was recognized by the Emperor.

The Church did not officially recognize the Augsburg Confession, and there was no pretense of religious liberty.  The Peace of Augsburg was a political settlement among princes, and only Lutheran princes were recognized.  No Calvinists or Anabaptists, etc.

So obviously, religiouś freedom to select between Lutheran and Catholic for princes...

Edited by rider - 01-Jun-2006 at 03:01
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 05:02

Frederick Barbarossa (12th cent.) was a Hohenstaufen.  I'll have to let that up to the Medieval experts.  I am a bit out of my depth much before 1500. Embarrassed 

And don't forget the occasional Luxembourger....
naav View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote naav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 04:12
Hi, thank you very much!

Edited by naav - 04-Jun-2006 at 08:23
naav View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote naav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 08:24
Hi everybody.  I was doing some more reading on this topic. Smile

I read that after the Protestant Reformation, Charles V, the new Habsburg ruler tried to suppress the Protestant and Catholic leagues by taking away the power of the princes but eventually the two leagues got together and beat him back.

(a) Is this an indication that the Habsburgs were not in control of the German states before and after this event i.e. they never took German territory (although I think they had bits here and there)?

(b) Was the relationship between the Habsburgs and the German states that of an alliance within the Holy Roman Empire?

Thank you Smile
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:09
Hmm. as you I believe know, the states could create undependent alliances under the HRE. There were a few of such. Still, I believe the Emperor had some power over everyone but make this clear: no single family has controlled ever the entire HRE.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:17
Originally posted by gcle2003

And don't forget the occasional Luxembourger....

Yes, like Emperor Sigismund.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:19
Quiet oddly Habsburg didn't really have German territories, except Austria but one could argue it is not properly German. Besides they were lords of the Netherland that after 1555 weren't in the HRE any longer, lord of Milan (in the HRE but not German), king of Bohemia (idem), lord of Burgondy but once again it wasn't in the proper German core of the HRE.

Besides, you shouldn't forget that as emperors the Habsburgs were the overlords of any member of the HRE. Hence the most important link between, let say, the landgrave of Hesse and Charles V was the feodal pledge. But one member of the HRE could launch a war against another (feud) and even against the emperor if he had enough reasons. As the emperor depended for the taxes on the approval of all, he was rarely able to get any money for the Empire and had to get satisfied with what he could raise on his own realms. Because of that the Emperors (though they tried very hard) never managed to turn the HRE into a modern state. To keep on ruling they had to ally with different state rulers within the HRE usually it was Bavaria.

Concerning Charles V precisely, first he bacame HRE two years befor Luther even invented the protestantism. Catholics never create a league in the early 16th c. as far as I know (maybe I'm wrong) but anyway Catholics and Protestants never set an alliance against Charles. Nonetheless once in a while a catholic prince would join the protestant against charles and other times protestant princes would join charles against the league. The result was that anyway the Habsbug was highly dependent on its inner allies and never really tried to diminuish their power (on the contrary of its successors Ferdinand I and Maximilian II).

M.
I am a free donkey!
naav View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote naav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 15:57
Hi.  Thank you very much. Smile

So would I be correct to think that the Austrian Habsburg territory (apart from the Italian, Hungarian and Polish lands) was a giant German state amongst all the other German states?

Thank you. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>