Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Admirals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admirals
    Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 07:41
I know there were many Admirals in the Imperial Age. But the mayority came from the Wars of the British and Dutch, correct still?

So my real question is if there were any admirals (that did something too) for landlocked countries or for Austria, Poland, Prussia (up to 1870, that is), Sweden, Denmark, Norway or well, to put it shortly, for such countries that are either landlocked or near water but have not become glorious for it or succeeded in sailing.

So, Spanish, Portugese, English, Dutch, French, Venetians do not count.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 17:37
Why would Admirals hav any interests in landlocked countries? lol
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 18:16

Miklos Horthy was an Admiral of the Austro-Hungarian navy. Hungary became a land-locked country after the end of WWI. Does he meet the standarts of your question?

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 18:25
Possibly, if he served in the Austro-Hungarian Empire as well.

Why would Admirals hav any interests in landlocked countries? lol

That is what I am trying to find out. Obviously the Admirals wouldn't be interested in landlocked countries but landlocked countries would be interested in admirals. Big smile
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 19:06
The latter far rightist Hungrian dictator Miklos Horty was earlier a Austro Hungrian admiral see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikls_Horthy
I am a free donkey!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 19:10
Not to sure exactly how landlocked the countries you mention are. But Switzerland has a navy nowadays, and if they can anyone can.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 20:25
Mongolia also has a navy nowadays. if you are looking for a pretty impressive naval history, just look at the Austrian navy and a commander like Teggethoff.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 22:15
Didnt the Austrians invent the Torpedo?
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 05:44
I know that the radio-system used in torpedoes was invented by an German in America. If I even remembered the name, I couldn't say it (TQ).

Not to sure exactly how landlocked the countries you mention are. But Switzerland has a navy nowadays, and if they can anyone can.

Well, yes; Sweden, Norway, Denmark aren't landlocked but if they have seaborders the question is even more interesting. Did these countries have impressive admirals (or admirals at all) during the Imperial Age?

Isn't the today's Swiss Navy quite large? It doesn't have military navy I believe but the trade fleet? ANd it is because of the taxes, isn't it?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 11:01

Did a little search for those Admirals and here are the results:

Karl Gustav von Wrangel (1613-1676), Swedish
Prince Rupert, Count Palatine of the Rhine and Duke of Bavaria (1619-1682), British/German
Wilhelm von Tegetthoff, (1827-1871), Austria
Adam Johann von Krusenstern (1770-1846), Baltic German serving in Russian Navy
Count Karl August Ehrensvard (1745-1800), Swedish
Don John of Austria (1547-1578), Austrian naval general, in service of Holy Roman Empire
Fyodor Matveyevich Apraksin (1661-1728), Russian

I found these names. It was on some silly Wikipedia article, and I hope there are many more. Only the name Tegetthoff is known (because Temujin mentioned it) is known to me; also with Ehrensvrd building the Soumenlinna fortress to Helsinki and Krusenstern being one of the most well known Estonian explorers.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 23:03
The swiss already have banks. why would they want a navy? spoiled babies they r
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 02:56
Are you talking about past or present? Ofcourse they can declare mobilization and put all men on their non-military ships (which they have many).
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 02:57
Originally posted by Maharbbal

The latter far rightist Hungrian dictator Miklos Horty was earlier a Austro Hungrian admiral see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikls_Horthy
He was the commander-in-chief of the naval forces of Austria-Hungary. As politician he remained a sailor. He said Hitler that Germany will lose the war because of the adequate navy. (all the other factors are not important Smile)

off-topic:
And he was a regent according to constitution not a dictator.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 07:32
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

The swiss already have banks. why would they want a navy? spoiled babies they r

They also have one of the largest standing armies in the world, don't they?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 08:43
Swiss? Not sure:

Originally posted by CIA World Factbook: Switzerland Military

Manpower available for military service:
Definition Field Listing
males age 19-49: 1,707,694
females age 19-49: 1,662,099 (2005 est.)
Manpower fit for military service:
Definition Field Listing
males age 19-49: 1,375,889
females age 19-49: 1,342,945 (2005 est.)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 04:21
Originally posted by rider

Did a little search for those Admirals and here are the results:

Karl Gustav von Wrangel (1613-1676), Swedish
Prince Rupert, Count Palatine of the Rhine and Duke of Bavaria (1619-1682), British/German
I should have thought of Rupert. I guess I didn't because like most English people I think of him as British, and therefore ruled out of your query.

Is there anyone else who achieved distinction as both a admiral and a cavalry commander - in a foreign army and navy?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 11:21
I do not know but there certainly is. But wasn't Rupert's cavalry tactics too straighton, I am thinking that if got overrun by Cromwell because he let his cavalry go too far, then he... never mind. Were his tactics as a naval commander such too?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 05:35

I do not know but there certainly is. But wasn't Rupert's cavalry tactics too straighton, I am thinking that if got overrun by Cromwell because he let his cavalry go too far, then he... never mind. Were his tactics as a naval commander such too?

Well, he kept losing, which is never a recommendation.  Smile However he was up against two highly talented commanders in Cromwell on land and de Ruyter at sea, so probably you can give him a B- or something.

He did of course have the kind of panache that appeals to the Royalist romantics. And after the defeat at the Texel he managed to blame his French allies, so in general he gets a good press in Britain. Big smile

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 15:07
Yes, de Ruyter was a highly skilled admiral and he was too a very daring, wouldn't you think so?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 08:11

Yes, de Ruyter was a highly skilled admiral and he was too a very daring, wouldn't you think so?

Yes. And indeed the lesser-known Dutch commanders were on the whole well ahead of the English (and French) in the 17th century.

It's frequently overlooked that their naval forces even recaptured New York in 1673 - though the politicians gave it back again later. And the Dutch East Indies Company had everything pretty much their own way at that time in the Far East too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>