Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prussia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prussia
    Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 08:11
i want to ask ,what happen to the prussia after germany was fouded ,are the prussia are related to  german people or russia people ,please let me know ,thank you.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 13:47
Prussians were as much German as other small princely states that made up Germany. Prussia was the key player in unification of Germany. It was more like a state withing in a state. It had its own Parliament separate from the German parliament. Prussia's King became the Emperor of Germany. 
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 21:39
Originally posted by rodimus prime

i want to ask ,what happen to the prussia after germany was fouded ,are the prussia are related to  german people or russia people ,please let me know ,thank you.

The original Prussians were neither Russians nor Germans.  Instead, they were Balts.   This means they were related to Lithuanians and Latvians.  The Prussian / Lithuanain region was the last area in Europe to practice state supported paganism.  As a result, German knights launched a crusade against them in the 12 th century.

Following this the area was gradually Germanicized.  The Old Prussian language existed until the 1750s and there are Bibles published in the language.  At some time after this, the Old Prussian Language went extinct.  This leaves only two major Baltic Languages (Lithuanian and Latvian). There maybe few isolated dialects of these two languages spoken in Western Russia by small minority groups.

As far as customs go, I believe that Pre WWII Prussian hunting customs / traditions  had an Old Prussian / Baltic influence and still retained some pagan symbols etc.   Likewise, prior to WWI, Prussia evidently preserved fuedal landlord - peasant economic / cultural practices far longer than other parts of Germany did.     

P.S.  If you are interested in old Prussian hunting customs, there is a photo of a Prussian hunt led by Goering who was an avid hunter.  The photos shows a Killed stag posed in the kneeling position.  I believe the stag has a garland of flowers or cut tree branches around the neck.

Edited by Cryptic - 21-Sep-2006 at 21:54
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 02:16
One of Prussia's greatest kings was Frederick The Great.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 13:50
One should not confuse the original region and people of Prussia, with the German state that became the dominating power in Germany after 1700.

As Cryptic above already explained, the "Old" Prussians were a Baltic people, whose territory had been colonised and germanised during the German Eastern expansion in late Medieval Ages.
Prussia became a domain of the Teutonic Order, and after its demise and secularisation, in 1525 a Duchy with the Duke being a vasall of the Polish King.
Johann Sigismund of Hohenzollern, the Elector of Brandenburg, a far larger and more important state inside the Holy Roman Empire, inherited the Duchy of Prussia in 1618, having been married to the daughter of the Duke of Prussia.
In 1701, his grandson, Frederic III, Elector of Brandenburg and Duke of Prussia, declared himself on his own authority "King of Prussia. The title was eventually recognised by the HRE.
From then on the ever growing territories of the Duchy of Brandenburg became known as Kingdom of Prussia, with  well known implications for the subsequent history of Germany.
In the end Prussia comprised of a very large part of Germany, with the original "Old" Prussia being only a very small part of it, and the original Baltic "Old" Prussians having long disappeared, probably sometime in the 18th century.

Edited by Komnenos - 26-Sep-2006 at 15:19
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Argentum Draconis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 16:08
And Prussia now belongs to Russia as Kaliningrad right?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by Argentum Draconis

And Prussia now belongs to Russia as Kaliningrad right?

The original Prussia was later in the Prussian Kingdom called "Eastern Prussia" with its capital Koenigsberg ( where Immanuel Kant was born and lived all his life), Kaliningrad in Russian.
After WW2 "East Prussia" was divided between Poland in the South and the SU in the North, the latter retaining Kaliningrad.
At current, the northern half of East-Prussia is an enclave belonging to the Russian Federation, surrounded by Poland and Lithuania.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 00:18
Prussia was more of a city state of Germany than anything.
What is the officer problem?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 02:37
There was a book on the Teutonic Knights that delt with the native prussians and that land up until the mid 15th century; fall of the teutonic knights order.  Teutonic Knights: A military history by William Urban.  I found it to be a good book and recommend it to you, its not long ~280 pages.  It also helps clarify the polish/prussian/german conflict and how it all started.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 01:31
That should be of interest to me since I'm starting to move beyond the limits of ancient world history that I've been studying and want to see what happened after the fall of western Rome.  This especially concerns my own ancestry, which is part-German though branches of my mother's family.  There was significant effect from the Germans in medieval and Renaissance-era Christendom, especially concerning the events of the Crusades and the 30-Years' War between Catholics and Protestants.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
 Post Reply Post Reply