Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classifying Turkic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classifying Turkic
    Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 06:33
The Turkic languages are usually classified in 6 groups:

1) Southwestern or Oghuz group;
2) Northwestern or Kypchak group;
3) Southestern or Chagatay group;
4) Northeastern or Siberian group;
5) Yakut;
6) Chuvash.

The problem with this classification is that the first 4 groups are too broad and tend to focus more on geography than linguistic similarities.

One problem is where to place Khalaj Turkish. Usually its placed in the Oghuz group, sometimes even as a dialect of Azeri. However, with its strong preservation of archaic Turkic features and its relations to the Old Arghu Dialect, its distinctive language is very different to other Oghuz languages and dialects.

Another problem with this classifications in the placing of Salar Turkish.
Originally one of the 22 Oghuz tribes, the Salar migrated east to China in the 14th century.
Usually they are placed in the Oghuz group, sometimes Chaghatay, and sometimes Kypchak group too.
Yet the language has features from all these groups making it difficult to choose whic group it belings in.

Another problem is with the Siberian group. These languages and dialects can be very different to each other and sometimes even completely unintelligible.
For example Chulym Turkic has 2 dialects. Middle Chulym and Lower Chulym. Lower Chulym is more alike the Northern Altay dialects such as Tuba, Kumandi and Chalkandu. Middle Chulym is closer to Khakas.
The Altay Turkic dialects are also very different. The southern Altay dialects of the Altay Kiji, Telengut and Teleut are different to the Northern Altay dialects.

These are just a few of the many problems.

Talat Tekin has come up with a different classification grouping by applying phonetic principles to classifying the languages. This way leads to 12 seperate groups.
These 12 groups are:

1) Oghuz group - Turkish; Azeri; Turkmen; Trukhmen; khorosan Turkish; Khwarezm Oghuz; Kashkay, Eynallu, Kirkuk and Erbil dialects; Gagauz.
2) Kypchak group - Tatar; Bashkir; Kazakh; Karakalpak; Nogay; Kumuk; Karachay-Balkar; Karay; Crimean Tatar; Baraba Tatar; Khwarezm Kypchak.
3) Chaghatay group - Uzbek; New Uighur
4) Kyrghyz
5) Written Altay - Altay Kiji (Oyrot), Telengit, Telet
6) Northern Altay Group - Tuba, Kumandi, Chalkandu; Lower Chulym; Kondom; Lower Tom
7) Yenisei-Abakan, Yellow Uighur and Khakas group - A. khakas; Middle Chulym; Mras, Upper Tom dialects. B. Yellow Uighur
8) Tuva group - Tuva; Tofa
9) Salar
10) Khalaj
11) Yakut - A. Sakha B. Dolgan
12) Chuvash

Talat Tekin's classification would appear to be a more accurate grouping of the Turkic languages and dialects.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 06:53

You said it. Most of the current classifications are based on the geographic location.

Also, that was something new to me to know about Talak Tekin and his interesting classification.

By the way, Turkic dialects found in Altai region are suggested to be modern dialects based on a combination of old southern Turkic.

Edited by gok_toruk - 03-Dec-2006 at 06:55
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 12:35
Khalajs are related to Azeries, Almost all shie, Turkic speakers are related to Azeries.These people look like to Iranians, They use the word TARI for god like scythians.Considering Azeries as OGHuz peopel could be questionable.
Azeries could be scythians living in central asia and caucase, assimilated by Turks in some degreeand moved to Iranian lands.Their culture always was Iranian instead of Turkic, it is applicable to all Turkic Tribe living in Iran or afghanistan, Iraq and Alavie turks of Anatolia.
the oghuz peopel were Sunni and use the TENGRI for god. The Turkmens are the only people could be the oghuz Turks.
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 13:08
Fantastic theories and personal opinions you have there however could you please try and stick to the topic of this thread.
If you have nothing to add then please dont post at all.

Thank you   
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 13:13
1. How do we know what Scythians used as they didn't have a written language.

2. Tari is just a distorted version of Tanri, Tanri/Tengri/Tangri is the Turkic word for God.

3. What does an "Iranian" look like? 

4. Azeri being Oghuz is not questionable, this is relating to languge, Azeri Turkish is Oghuz Turkish and that is certain. However, if the debate is going to be about "origins" its a matter of subjectivity, you are what you feel you are, it wouldn't matter if your great grandfather one hundred generations back was  Turkic, Iranic, or African if today you identified yourself with "A" or "B". There are other Azeri Turks who in complete contrast push forward their Turkic identity. What make's people a part of a nation is not "DNA", its language, culture, history, connections, bonds and so on.

5. Alevi in Turkey are viewed by many as the one's who kept ancient Turkic culture and carried it on to modern day. Turks of Iraq are not and do not feel Iranic, neither do those in Afganistan. I don;t know where you get this idea from.

I think the classification is pretty accurate, the only questionable part I find is "Crimean Tatar" and "Nogay", while originally they are Kipchak branch, they were heavily influenced by Oghuz branch due to the Ottoman's and today their Turkic is close to this Turkic. They overlap in my opinion.

Also, the Balkans and Cypriot Turks are Oghuz.

Edited by Bulldog - 03-Dec-2006 at 13:18
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 23:01

Just a glance at writings in Crimean Tatar and you'll find the structure is, although in some parts as exact borrowing of western Oghuz (using 'si' to show desire), but mostly closer to Kyptchak (most notable is, using 'ay' to show present tense and some changes in consonants).

I suppose, Salar shouldn't be considered as an isolated or distinct language since its originally a Turkmen dialect.

Edited by gok_toruk - 03-Dec-2006 at 23:30
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by Bulldog

I think the classification is pretty accurate, the only questionable part I find is "Crimean Tatar" and "Nogay", while originally they are Kipchak branch, they were heavily influenced by Oghuz branch due to the Ottoman's and today their Turkic is close to this Turkic. They overlap in my opinion,

Talat Tekin notes there are differences between the Central dialect and Southern dialect.
The southern dialect is oghuz, sometimes called Crimean Oslmanli, but the central dialect is Kypchak.
However he goes on to say that the written language of Crimean Tatar has a number of borrowings from the southern dialect which would most likely explain the similarities with Oghuz Turkic.

Also, the Balkans and Cypriot Turks are Oghuz.

I assume they would be considered Turkish dialects.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 13:43
Indeed, They are not turkic but turkish.
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 13:50
Originally posted by gok_toruk

I suppose, Salar shouldn't be considered asan isolated or distinct language since its originally a Turkmendialect.

I think what he was trying to do is classify the languages as they are today.
He does say that the Salar were one of the Oghuz tribes, however due to their migration east and contact with other Turkic languages and non-Turkic languages, such as Tibetan and Chinese, their language as been influenced to an extent that it would be difficult to classify them alongside the other Oghuz languages.
I think this is his reason for giving Salar a seperate classification.

The book im reading that has this classifications gives a few sentences in Salar.

Anigi apasi takka yirtux vurma vamish - His father went shooting.

Pu a'tcuz yaxshi a'ttir - This is a good horse.

Pu oy minigidur - This house is mine

Pu zanzu sinigi ider-o? is this cup yours?

Men sinigi kuyung iter - i am your husband.

Vular va'por - They are going

Seler varoxtyr - you aren't going

Piser varaloxtyr - we can't go
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 15:52
AyKurt:
"Fantastic theories and personal opinions you have there however could you please try and stick to the topic of this thread.
If you have nothing to add then please dont post at all.

Thank you   Fantastic theories and personal opinions you have there however could you please try and stick to the topic of this thread.
If you have nothing to add then please dont post at all. "

could you tell me what should I add to a classical view, which is taught in your official history in Turkey.
and what I said was not my opinion, many scientist belive that Iranic people were basic element of Oguz speaker tribes in Iran.

Edited by shinai - 04-Dec-2006 at 15:57
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 16:13
AyKurt
Talat Tekin notes there are differences between the Central dialect and Southern dialect.
The southern dialect is oghuz, sometimes called Crimean Oslmanli, but the central dialect is Kypchak.
However he goes on to say that the written language of Crimean Tatar has a number of borrowings from the southern dialect which would most likely explain the similarities with Oghuz Turkic.

Thanks, you make some interesting and logical points.

We can hear some Crimean Turk's below

Some sweet kids singing

Some Crimean Turks talking, they seem to have a more Oghuz Turkish accent, maybe because they've lived in Turkey for a few generations now?

Crimean Turks having a Kaytarma, looks like fun Smile

How about Nogay? it also is influence with Oghuz Turkic and sounds similar.

Here's a Nogay talking, I love his hat

Edited by Bulldog - 04-Dec-2006 at 16:15
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:41

I can see, in some parts, the same as Turkmen -also considered part of an accent- and in some parts, somehow strange.

By the way, could you please tell us the name of the book you're referring to? Seems like I need to buy one.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:45
I think Telet Tekin's calssification is more phonomenical. I'd like to draw your attention to Lars Johanson's classification, which is claimed to be done according to the genetic and typological features of Turkic languages, and similar to the first classification.

http://www.turkiclanguages.com/www/classification.html

Either make a history or become a history.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:49

I can see, in some parts, the same as Turkmen -also considered part of an accent- and in some parts, somehow strange.

By the way, could you please tell us the name of the book you're referring to? Seems like I need to buy one.

Can you give the respective Salar Turkman sentences to those Salur sentences Ayqut provided? It would be interesting to compare.

Edited by barbar - 04-Dec-2006 at 23:51
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 00:16
Anigi apasi takka yirtux vurma vamish -His father went shooting.

'Anyigh apasi, teke yirtiq (v)urma barmish'

Adding  'yirtiq' to  '(v)urma' or 'barmish' instead of 'barip' is considered kind of an accent.

Pu a'tcuz yaxshi a'ttir - This is a good horse.
'Bu atcha(gha)z, yaqshi (yaxshi) at tir.'

'agha' can be added to verbs to intensify the meaning. The exact word is 'chaz' which, in this way, can be changed to 'chaghaz'. Totally by 'agha', it intesifies the meaning of 'good'. Using 'chuz' instead of 'chaz' is considered part of an accent.

Pu oy minigidur - This house is mine

'Bu oy mening tir (dir)'

Turkmen mostly use 'mening' instead of 'menim'. That's what you see here.

Pu zanzu sinigi ider-o? is this cup yours?

'Bu ? (I can't find such an equivalent) seningki ider '

'Ideki' (idemek) is 'to relate; to care' and is considered part of an accent.

Men sinigi kuyung iter - i am your husband.

'Men sening ? (I can't find such an equivalent) iter'. Just like Turkmen, Salar usually doesn't use a proposition after verb.

Vular va'por - They are going

'Bular ? (I can't find such an equivalent)'

But in the next part:

Seler varoxtyr - you aren't going
Using 'oq' to show a negative form is also standard in Turkmen.

Piser varaloxtyr - we can't go

In Turkmen, that's 'baranoq tyr'.

Edited by gok_toruk - 05-Dec-2006 at 00:25
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 12:47

Its from a chapter in a large volume called The Turkic Speaking Peoples.
It includes chapters from well known Turkologists such as Lars Johanson, Talat Tekin, Peter B. Golden and others.
Stunning photography too
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 16:52
Originally posted by barbar

I think Telet Tekin's calssification is more phonomenical. I'd like to draw your attention to Lars Johanson's classification, which is claimed to be done according to the genetic and typological features of Turkic languages, and similar to the first classification.

http://www.turkiclanguages.com/www/classification.html

Is that right to put Azerbaijani in SW,w group?Shouldn't it be in SW,s?
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 04:52
I went over a few pages online. I'll buy a copy soon. Thanks.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 00:44
Originally posted by shinai

Is that right to put Azerbaijani in SW,w group?Shouldn't it be in SW,s?

Maybe Qashqay is more easily understandable to an Azari than Anatolian turkish, but these closeness is mainly due to the Persian influence in both Qashqay and Azari, if you disconsider the persian element, then you will find Azari is closer to Anatolian Turkish than to Qashay. Linguistical classification is based on more basic elements.

Edited by barbar - 08-Dec-2006 at 00:45
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 14:27
There are alot of Qashkay who use more archiac Turkic lexis then Azerbaycan/Iran Turki and Turkiye Turkish. Turkiye Turkish, Azerbaycan/Iran Turki is a difference in accent, infact the accent of Eastern Turkey is the same as that of Azerbaycan and Iran, these are closer to each other than the accent of Eastern Turkiye Turkish to the accent spoken in for example Thrace.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply