Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paradise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paradise
    Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 06:07

Ancient Greeks thought the Paradise to be the heaven but in fact it is the Persian name of a large ancient royal park in Pasargadae, about 2x3 kilometers large and one of the most valuable world heritage monuments:

http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31&id_site=1106 : Pasargadae was the first dynastic capital of the Achaemenid Empire, founded by Cyrus II, the Great, in Pars, homeland of the Persians, in the 6th century BC. Its palaces, gardens, and the mausoleum of Cyrus are outstanding examples of the first phase of royal Achaemenid art and architecture and exceptional testimonies of Persian civilization. Particularly noteworthy vestiges in the 160-ha site include: the Mausoleum of Cyrus II; Tall-e Takht, a fortified terrace; and a royal ensemble of gatehouse, audience hall, residential palace, and gardens. Pasargadae was the capital of the first great multicultural empire in Western Asia. Spanning the Eastern Mediterranean and Egypt to the Hindus River, it is considered to be the first empire that respected the cultural diversity of its different peoples. This was reflected in Achaemenid architecture, a synthetic representation of different cultures.

An Assyrian four-winged genius

An Egyptian crown

A relief from Pasargadae

The northern wall on a winter day. One gets a sense of the enormous dimensions by comparing the wall to the man who is trying to climb down.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 14-Dec-2006 at 06:09
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 06:12
Beautiful.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 11:00

Wow....just, wow. I always thought that Old Persian Cuneiform was invented in Darius' time, but I guess the picture 3rd from the bottom shows it was older. (That is definitely Old Persian by the way, not Babylonian or Elamite Cuneiform). I can make out a couple of the words too Big smile I'm not sure because it's a little wierd but I as far as i can see the first two lines say: "adam/kurush/xshayathiya/haxamanishiya" "I am Kurosh, an Achaemenian". The third and fourth lines I can't make out.

EDIT: on a closer look, none of the characters in the third and fourth line look familiar, and seeing that they are separated, I think they are translations of the same thing into Elamite and Babylonian. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong Tongue.

Edited by Xshayathiya - 14-Dec-2006 at 11:02
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 00:50
It is possible that Darius the great made this inscription himself, so that we know this palace has been built by Cyrus the Great, of course I think if he wanted to do it then he would write like Xerxes' inscription near Lake Van in modern Turkey: "Xerxes the King says: King Darius, who was my father, he by the favor of Ahuramazda built much good (construction), and this niche he gave orders to dig out, where he did not cause an inscription (to be) engraved. Afterwards I gave order to engrave this inscription."
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 09:36
Yes, it is possible Cyrus. I actually just found Old Persian inscriptions by Ariarmnes and Arsames (who would have been Darius' great grandfather and grandfather). Both inscriptions are in Hamedan, which is wierd because it was the capital of the Median empire.

"Ariaramnes, the Great King, King of Kings, King in Persia, son of Teispes the King, grandson of Achaemenes. Ariaramnes the King says: This country Persia which I hold, which is possessed of good horses, of good men, the Great God Ahuramazda bestowed it upon me. By the favor of Ahuramazda I am king in this country.Ariaramnes the King says: May Ahuramazda bear me aid. "

"Arsames, the Great King, King of Kings, King (in) Persia, son (of) Ariaramnes the King, an Achaemenian. Arsames the King says: Ahuramazda, great god, the greatest of gods, made me king. He bestowed on me the land Persia, with good people, with good horses. By the favor of Ahuramazda I hold this land. May Ahuramazda protect me, and my royal house, and may he protect this land which I hold. "

Wikipedia also says that Old Persian text was created under Darius...so maybe what you said Cyrus is correct that these inscriptions were made by Darius for his predecessors.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 19:39
Staples from Pasargadae (world's oldest staples).

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 19:48
Amazing - would have loved to have seen it in it's prime.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 13:13

Great Post Cyrus.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 12:53
'Persepolis Recreated' - a vid with virtual recreations of Persepolis.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 13:18
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

It is possible that Darius the great made this inscription himself, sothat we know this palace has been built by Cyrus the Great,of course I think if he wanted to do it then he would write likeXerxes' inscription near Lake Van in modern Turkey: "Xerxes the King says: King Darius, who was my father, he by the favor of Ahuramazda built much good (construction), and this niche he gave orders to dig out, where he did not cause an inscription (to be) engraved. Afterwards I gave order to engrave this inscription."

I have seen a big Cuneiform inscription on rock of old castle of van (near lake van) today turkey. is it the same that you mentioned as xerxes inscription ? because the turkish guide tolled us it was an urartu inscription. I have found some cuneiform indcription in van museum too.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 13:20
anyway Cyrus jan your post are always fantastic. thank you for your useful information.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by sirius99

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

It is possible that Darius the great made this inscription himself, so that we know this palace has been built by Cyrus the Great, of course I think if he wanted to do it then he would write like Xerxes' inscription near Lake Van in modern Turkey: "Xerxes the King says: King Darius, who was my father, he by the favor of Ahuramazda built much good (construction), and this niche he gave orders to dig out, where he did not cause an inscription (to be) engraved. Afterwards I gave order to engrave this inscription."

I have seen a big Cuneiform inscription on rock of old castle of van (near lake van) today turkey. is it the same that you mentioned as xerxes inscription ? because the turkish guide tolled us it was an urartu inscription. I have found some cuneiform indcription in van museum too.

I don't know, I have not seen it yet!
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 22:14
Ruins abound in the region. Most noteworthy is Van Castle (Cavustepe), constructed by King Sardur II of Urartu and expanded by the Byzantines, Seljuks and Ottomans. Located atop a limestone rock 360 feet above the lake, this ancient citadel is honeycombed with tombs and caves and also with stairways carved into the stone that carried defenders and conquerorslike Tamerlaneto the crest of this strategic hill. As at Toprakkale, kings and generals had cuneiform inscriptions carved into the polished cliffs, one of which, placed there by the fifth-century Achaemenian King Xerxes, proclaims, with becoming innocence, that Xerxes is the "Great King, King of Kings, the King of the provinces with many languages, the King of this great earth far and near."

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/197302/van..htm
 Post Reply Post Reply