Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marjane Satrapi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marjane Satrapi
    Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 16:30

As a member of a local book club, I was recently introduced to the writings of Marjane Satrapi, an Iranian illustrator and author of several books. I read her book entitled "Embroideries", which I thoroughly enjoyed. She's also written Persepolis and Persepolis2 (which I have not as yet read). I don't know much about her and would welcome more information. It took me maybe 10 minutes to read the book "Embroideries", but it certainly gave a whole new meaning to the word! I found her writing to be very refreshing, bold & daring, honest and hopeful.

Here's a little more about Marjane Satrapi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjane_Satrapi

Edited by morticia - 09-Jan-2007 at 13:59
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 16:38
Yep, those Persepolis ones are pretty popular (I work at a library) and with good reason!   I really like graphic novels with that general style of clear, simple drawings and straightforward, unpretensious storytelling.  They're such a pleasure to read.

Weirdly, in French they divided the comics into smaller books, so that there is Persepolis 3 and 4, which always confuses and unjustly excites me!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 16:58
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Yep, those Persepolis ones are pretty popular (I work at a library) and with good reason! I really like graphic novels with that general style of clear, simple drawings and straightforward, unpretensious storytelling. They're such a pleasure to read.Weirdly, in French they divided the comics into smaller books, so that there is Persepolis 3 and 4, which always confuses and unjustly excites me!

Yes, I too was strangely aroused!    
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
 Post Reply Post Reply