Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drew Gilpin Faust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drew Gilpin Faust
    Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 16:17
Drew Gilpin Faust just made history today. She was named Harvard's 28th President,making her the first female president of Harvard.    Here's the site from the Harvard Gazette:

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2007/02.15/99-president.html

Here's a photo of Drew Gilpin Faust:

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:43
The fact that Ms. Gilpin Faust was appointed as the first female president of Harvard may not be meaningful to many of you. However, considering that Harvard has a 371-year history of being run by a male president, it's A VERY BIG DEAL TO ALL WOMEN!

"Morty

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:56
Plus, she's an Historian!

And Harvard's record is still better than my Alma Mater, the University of Coimbra: no female rector/president since it's foundation back in 1290!

Edited by Frederick Roger - 12-Feb-2007 at 15:00
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:03
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

And Harvard's record is still better than my Alma Mater, the Universityof Coimbra: no female rector/president since it's foundation back in 1290!

That's right, she's an Historian, specializing in the Civil War. She was also dean at Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. A very intelligent woman, indeed!
"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 16:13

Here's another photo of Gilpin Faust together with the interim president, Derek Bok.

"Morty

heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 15:57
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

And Harvard's record is still better than my Alma Mater, the University of Coimbra: no female rector/president since it's foundation back in 1290!
Didn't she write _The Creation of Confederate Nationalism_ and _Mothers of Invention_?
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 05:58
Originally posted by morticia

Drew Gilpin Faust just made history today. She was named Harvard's 28th President,making her the first female president of Harvard.    Here's the site from the Harvard Gazette:

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2007/02.15/99-president.html

So, sexist comments by former Harvard President Larry Sommers Embarrassed led to Drew Gilpin Faust becoming the first female to hold the title of President of Harvard University. Smile

Edited by heikstheo - 23-May-2007 at 06:18
Ted Heiks
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 11:29
Not that she isn't deserving of said position, I'm confident she is.

However, don't women feel a little bit cheated when the only reason a woman can be appointed to a higher office is because the organization is trying to correct it's image. Isn't it a bit unfair that perhaps a more qualified male candidate was looked over, or is this "compensation" for years of oppression? And what if the man actively supported women's equality throughout his life, does he just have to have a collective guilt for being a man?

Again, I hope that that isn't the case and that Drew Gilpin Faust was the most qualified and deserving candidate. Plus she's a Civil War historian which is one of my favorite periods of history, perhaps I'll read her book, although she probably has a different bias than me.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 13:59
Originally posted by JanusRook

Not that she isn't deserving of said position, I'm confident she is.However, don't women feel a little bit cheated when the only reason a woman can be appointed to a higher office is because the organization is trying to correct it's image.

No reason to feel cheated at all, JanusRook. Otherwise, how else can said image be corrected if not by retention of a properly qualified female. It's the proper thing to do if equality is ever to be effectuated.
"Morty

heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 07:17

Not that she isn't deserving of said position, I'm confident she is. However, don't women feel a little bit cheated when the only reason a woman can be appointed to a higher office is because the organization is trying to correct it's image.
A question very similar to this was once posed in one of my old MBA classes. The question was fielded by an African-American female, who insisted that the important part is not so much being a token, but rather whether one is a happy token which usually correlates with being a paid token.  
Ted Heiks
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 01:42

but rather whether one is a happy token which usually correlates with being a paid token. 

So a sell-out then?

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 05:35
I'm a bit dual on positive discrimination for women. I would hate to have landed a job for being a woman rather than for my abilities. On the other hand, I do not know about the US, but here women working in high places is really way to rare. I read somewhere that 65% of university students is female, but only 6% of the professors are. And research has shown that almost 45% of women in high jobs earn less than men in the same function. That is bizarre! And if positive discrimination is the only way to make it more equal, than perhaps it should be used, twisted as it may be....?

Edited by Aelfgifu - 30-May-2007 at 05:36

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 15:37

And if positive discrimination is the only way to make it more equal, than perhaps it should be used, twisted as it may be....?

But societies shouldn't be made equal,  it should be made egalitarian. How is it equal if I can't get a job because a less qualified woman took it? The way it should work is if a woman who is more qualified than me gets the oppurtunity at the job before me.

One of the differences in average yearly earnings is due to the fact that  women are most often the parent that has to call in or cut hours short at work to take care of children. Another reason is that women are less assertive when it comes to asking for raises in their pay. These are the only ones in my personal experience that affect salaries and job oppurtunities. Of course as I understand the higher one goes up the ladder the more sexist it becomes, but I think that in the next thirty years or so it will die a natural death, unless positive discrimination still exists since to me all it says is, you MUST rely on men to get ahead in life.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 13:54

And if positive discrimination is the only way to make it more equal, than perhaps it should be used, twisted as it may be....?
But societies shouldn't be made equal, it should be made egalitarian. How is it equal if I can't get a job because a less qualified woman took it? The way it should work is if a woman who is more qualified than me gets the oppurtunity at the job before me. One of the differences in average yearly earnings is due to the fact that women are most often the parent that has to call in or cut hours short at work to take care of children. Another reason is that women are less assertive when it comes to asking for raises in their pay. These are the only ones in my personal experience that affect salaries and job oppurtunities. Of course as I understand the higher one goes up the ladder the more sexist it becomes, but I think that in the next thirty years or so it will die a natural death, unless positive discrimination still exists since to me all it says is, you MUST rely on men to get ahead in life.

Janusrook, what you fail to observe is that men have always taken precedence over women in the past centuries as regards any position in the workforce. Most women that do get the top jobs over men is because, in fact, she is more qualified than he is. Men just assume that it's for "equality" sake, but, believe me, if a woman is not qualified, no major company is going to take a risk in hiring her unless she has the proper and adequate credentials.
"Morty

Post Reply Post Reply