Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Last of the MoHiCANS!... check it...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mrhistoryguy23 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Last of the MoHiCANS!... check it...
    Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 12:50

Hello all,

For those of you who watched the movie or read the novel "The last of the Mohicans", i need your thoughts on it. How do you think the Native Americans are depicted in the movie? Do you think it is accurate to what really happened?

Let me know what you think.., thanks guys..

Take care..,

Jonny Mentero
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 20:28
I didn't see the movie. But I believe the problem with hollywood is that never show people like it is. In some cases they show Natives to be extremely savage. In others they are quite peaceful and phylosophers. Both ideas are wrong. Natives were human heings like Europeans are, and they had virtuosity and vicious, good and evil, like all the people on planet Earth. 

One thing is true, though, navite Americans had a nice theology that surprise modern people.

Pinguin

Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 22:05
I saw it maybe 10 years ago, I can't remember enough to comment on it.  But I agree that most hollywood movies with "Indian" settings are just rubbish.  Wasn't the lead actor played by a white person in that movie?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 12:02
Okay, for one thing, "The last of the Mohicans" was based on James Fenimore Cooper's novel, so you can't blame Holywood too much for the script. That being said, I thought that it was pretty good. The lead actor (Daniel Day-Lewis) was white, but that's because he was supposed to be a white man raised by Indians. There were both good, wise natives (Uncas and his father) and savage, brutal natives such as Magua. Actually, I thought that all in all, it was a pretty good movie by Holywood standards, evern as far as its historical accuracy goes (we must remember that it was based on a fictional story).
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 14:52
It had one of the most astonishing music i've ever heard :Irish Dance.Astonishing.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Mrhistoryguy23 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 16:36
salsa dancing is better!
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 18:32
I have seen and read it recently, I think the book and movie were great (although the movie was quite different form the book in characters and plot), and coincided very much with what I read about the First Nations; they are accurate renderings. The historical novel was written in the 1820s, only 70 years after the action.

Edited by Zheng-ru - 07-Mar-2007 at 18:37
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 12:20
I do not finish  the fiction. But I think the movie did not avoid the fact that the white killed the Native.Magua became so cruel because his family was killed by British. But i think the main idea of the movie was to reflect  the forming of nationalism of the colonists,for example when they were asked to stay to safeguard the British fort, their village were attacked by Native and French, but they could not get back. This show the conflict of interest between the colonists and British, in history it was really French and indian war seeding up the development of American nationalism. And the writer had such idea to express through the novel. At first, the writer stated thatBritish and French fought for the land neither both could keep ,he let the readers to think who would the real owners of the continent.
leung
rommel View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 21:40
i thought the film was acc, especially the music, i just dont understand why the british r portrayed as losing. They won the french and indian war
d murray
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 08:17
The soundtrack was good, i have the CD. Its the think i renember most about the movie, except the last 15 mins of it.
Arrrgh!!"
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 15:56
The movie isn't accurate in it's portrail of the massacre at Fort William Henry. While there was some killing by the natives, it wasn't on the level in the story. Most of their activity was limited to looting and taking captives for ransom. Colonel Monroe did arrive safely to Ft. Edward and the French helped restore order and tried to protect the English soldiers under their guard.

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 11:23
This book was written by American writer, he expressed such idea, British might win the French and Indian war, but she lost the support of the American colonists,the weakness of the British soldiers were exposed in the war, this encouraged the colonist to revolt, the writer expressed such idea even at the first page of the novel.
leung
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 11:25
Just a question.

Where really the Mohicans exterminated? Didn't some survive, at least as mixed people or assimilated to the mainstream.

More info please.

Pinguin

Post Reply Post Reply