Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Baroque of the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baroque of the Americas
    Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 15:16

Hi,

One of the most unknown parts of history is the dream of the Jesuit of building the City of God on this Earth. Jesuits were the intellectual class of the Catholic Church, people prepared in high sciences and arts with the skills of doing things well. They were in China teaching the Chineses about modern science, and they were also in remote places of the globe making clockwork and collecting large libraries of science, history and tech. They were masters linguists, naturalists and skillful artistis. All of which they put together to fullfil theirs dreams. They have the chance to do it during the colonization of the Americas in theirs "Missions".

The Missions were city-states with relative independence of the colonial powers. In there, Jesuist put in practise the idea that they could teach the "savage" Ameridians the fruits of high European culture, and they succeed in doing it.

(Paraguay Mission)

In the Americas they introduced the Barroque. A style of art that was in fashion in the 17th and 18th centuries in Europe. Latin American barroque is recognized for its beauty. You can find it in architecture and paintings
(Bolivia Mission)

In the works of Alejadinho in Brazil:

And in paintings like "Saint Michael Archangel" of Luis Alvarez, Mexico, 1620:

Now, Baroque in the Americas was not exclusively Jesuit. But it were the Jesuits the ones that included the Indian in the developments of arts.
Up to this day, many Native artistists prepare theirs own musical instruments in Paraguay based in the Jesuit teachings.

These days, researchers have found a rich heritage of Baroque Music in all churches in Latin America. They have started to classify the music and lyrics and represent them again. Lot of that music is song in Native languages of the region with Musical styles that are classical to the bone.

I have here a link to Baroque Music song in Mapudungun, the language of the Mapuche Natives of my country. They are a chorus of Huilliche Children of Chiloe, Chile, were there was a Jesuit Mission long time ago.

It is a wonderful music, that, unfortunately, is very unknown. Nobody should be blame for that because it is a recent discovery. I hope you enjoy it. For more information, just get in contact with me

Just press on "escuchar audio" (listen audio)

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 22:10
Hey!

Has anyone seen this interesting post? Or should I move it to the history of the Americas?

Pinguin
 Post Reply Post Reply