Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Immigration to South America

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Immigration to South America
    Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 07:24
"Slavery aside"

Whereas the British took more ethnicites into their colonies such as the Irish, Welsh, Germans, Danes, Poles, Swedes, Norweigans, italians, Finns, Russians, Hungarians (unsure of numbers) the Southern American nations seemed to be reluctant to take in heavier numbers of various European ethnicites. Germans immigrated, yet it seems as though the Portuguese werent to keen on the Germans gaining to much Power esp in the South of Brazil. Im-unsure, i think i read once that German immigration was halted.
Most of the nations seem to be made up of either Portuguese (obviously) Spaniards, Italians (Did the majority come from the Nth of Sth ?) an limited amounts of Germans, Poles an English. I daresay the English were pre-occupied elsewhere though.

Was it policy to direct immigration more-so at Spain+Portugal to keep the power in their hands rather than let in other immigrants, was there even a direct immigration policy ? Even when it would have been obvious to settlers that to gain power an rise to a mighty power status that the populations of their colonies would have to drastically increase. Heres the thing when i look at South America i see a failure to create prosperous, powerful an wealthy colonies. Black slaves make up more of the population than the settlers an its the largest country in Sth America, an i dont quite understand how Brazilians of the past couldnt see this. Rather more interested in their wealth growing than a looming problem that could have in the past risen up taken over parts of the Americas (inc north Amer)
Argentina seems to be largely made up of italian, portuguese, Spaniards an Germans, how come its seems to be the only South American nation that isnt Largely split along racial lines. Infact the Southern cone region as i heard it reffered as seems to be the only positive area of South America (from what ive heard)

I just like to make this clear, i can completely understand why perhaps Europe wasnt put in a cup an poured into South America The original colonisers would have much preffered people of common language an ethnicity (Just like how the British colonised theirs) rather than any old Tom Dick an harry but what isnt clear is to why immigration was never stepped up either it be the Spanish crown sending families abroad or the locals of the colonies asking for more immigrants to make sure that numbers favour them. Oh yes i do realise that Spanish/Portuguese families were less likely to move abroad compared to some of their counterparts, but it doesnt seem logical that the Spanish/Portuguese crown threw away an oppurtunity to create a HUGE extension of "themselves"

Edited by think - 15-Apr-2007 at 07:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 09:32
First,

What are you talking about?

I know it is not your intention, but I am afraid you are repeating stereotypes. South America is not a favela in Rio, to start with.

Second, please take a look at the GDP per capita of many countries of South America, and you'll realize although the region is not rich as North America or Japan, it is not Africa either.

Brazilians, for example, between thousands of products, manufacture these airplanes:

Famlia%20Executivos

For the point of prosperity and wealth, I don't know if you have ever visited our cities, or you just follow what the press say

Image:North%20CB.JPG

The GDP per Capita is this. Compare it with Asia, Africa and even some countries in Europe.

GDP per capita (PPP) 2005
Rank in world Country GDP
per capita
50 Argentina 14,109
56 Chile 12,600
65 Uruguay 10,028
68 Brazil 8,584
81 Colombia 7,565
96 Venezuela 6,186
97 Peru 5,983
99 Suriname 5,683
105 Guyana 4,612
107 Paraguay 4,555
113 Ecuador 4,316
125 Bolivia 2,817

Now in immigration, you have to distinguish one think: the policy of immigration DURING the Spanish Empire, and AFTER Independence.

During the Spanish Empire only CATHOLICS could enter to the territories.
Most of Catholics of Europe came from Spain, Portugal, Italy and France, but there were also Irish and German Catholics as well.

After Independence, the doors were open for Protestants to come. There were many British in South America, for instance, during the 19th Century, many of whom assimilated to the mainstream.

Finally, your remarks about the importance of Blacks populations in Brazil are not quite precise either. Although almost half the population of Brazil is three-racial (Black-White and Ingenous), the number of Blacks that look like Black Americans is small, perhaps 6% of the Population. Half the population in Brazil is white. There are more Whites in Brazil that in England or Germany.

The reason why Latin America has been behind for too long time it is simple: from the beginning of the 19th century up to the 70s, it suffered a demographic EXPLOSION, that increased its population around 15 times.

There is no economy that could resist that without chaos. That's the mystery.

Now for the point of populations "split along racial lines", I believe you are quite wrong. Latin America has never been the Jim Crow's United States or Apparheid South Africa. In here people marry with whom it choses.

Even in the favelas of Brazil that called your attention you can find peoples of different looks or "races" if you preffer.

On the other hand, although Argentina received a large number of Nordic immigrants, not all Argentineans look like you expect:

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 15-Apr-2007 at 09:44
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 21:40
No more comments on this?
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 21:53
Originally posted by pinguin

No more comments on this?

I would like to provide some comments on immigration to South America, but have been unable yet to read books and articles that I found on the particular angle in which I am interested.  Perhaps, pinguin, you could help start the discussion.

What do you know about Muslim and Near Eastern immigration to Central and South America?  I am particularly interested in Ottoman immigration in the period of discovery and in the 19th-20th centuries, when the Empire was crumbling fast.

Also, what of Greek immigration there?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 22:08
What I know is there are large numbers of Arabs, Syrians and Palestineans in Latin America, many of whom were former subdits of the Turkish Empire. However, I don't know if it was because discrimination or what, most of them where Catholics. Some Ortodox Catholics and others Romans. Curiously enough, the Palestineans of Latin America, that as I said were mainly Catholics, are relatively weathy in here (some are VERY wealthy) but they have not forgotten theirs brothers of Palestine at all. They usually collect money and help them in different humanitary actions.

Now, Turks and Greeks are relatively uncommon, at least in my country (Chile). Only once in my life I knew a fellow Chilean of Greek ancestry.
Strangely enough, I don't know if there are Turks in Chile. The problem is that because in here every Middle Easterner is called Turk, I can't tell.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 18-Apr-2007 at 22:09
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 05:16
No comment really on the immigration issue, but your statistics remind me that Argentina c. 1900 was the sixth richest country in the world.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 09:35
Well, Argentina is not really a third world country. They have an income not that far from the one of some countries from Southern Europe. They have nobel prizes, manufacturing, sport racing, advanced media, etc.

The problem with Argentina is that is a chaotic place, nobody believe in nobody else, and that has an important segment of its population in poverty, but they don't care.

I guess Argentina could be a great country if Argentineans decide to put more effort on it. It's a mental problem, of attitude, rather than anything else.

Pinguin
 Post Reply Post Reply